UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

Well. . .I guess Cena/Bryan's not happening laugh.png But really, how could it, when the WWE has talent like Mark Henry waiting in the wings? If that doesn't sell PPV buys, what will?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad I didn't buy my MITB tickets yet.thumbsup.gif

I really liked the Henry/Cena segment, though. Of course, any segment that ends with Cena flat on his back is okay in my book.

So I'm guessing MITB will feature:

Cena/Henry

Bryan/Orton

Del Rio/Ziggler

Punk/Axel maybe?

I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to save Cena/Bryan for SummerSlam, and really build Bryan up as a singles wrestler again. And looks like Punk/Lesnar will be at SS also. Of course, if they book that match for MITB, I'll be getting those tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

So what did everybody think of the big Bray Wyatt debut? I thought it was fine, but... lacking. I mean, why Kane? If they were going to make an impact by jumping someone and beating them down, why Kane of all people? Why not wait another 45 minutes and take out Punk and Orton, and really make a statement? Just didn't jibe with me.

I'm not all that into the MITB build. I'm sure that the show will be very good, but I'm not exactly excited for it (and no, I didn't get tickets. Decided to get New Order tix instead). I'm picking Bryan and Cesario to win, by the way.

I didn't see most of the Vicki Guerrero stuff, thankfully. I've never liked her as a heel; not that she's not great in her role, but I've always felt uncomfortable being asked to boo the widow of a beloved dead wrestler. I did catch the little exchange she had with the Rybeck , which was interesting. My guess is that she's going to end up as his manager, and that we're building to a HHH/Rybeck SummerSlam match with Steph in Hunter's corner. Not sure how I feel about that, since Rybeck's basically lost all credibility with me.

I thought the Wyatt debut was a bit of a let down, as well. Didn't realize that was "Husky Harris" until the audience started chanting it laugh.png

I don't see Bryan winning after the ending of Raw. Since Cesaro joined with the anti-immigrants I fear he's gonna be relegated to tag teaming for awhile. My guess would be RVD or Orton in the Raw match. I can't imagine Punk carrying the briefcase around, I think Seamus's time has passed, and Christian. . .just not gonna happen. For the Smackdown title, I think it's more open-ended. Barrett seems due for a run, but Fandango's had a pretty serious push before his injury, Ambrose seems like a legit potential champ, and I could imagine either Sandow or Rhodes getting a big push at some point. Cesaro should be getting a push, but I'm not sure Vince has the sense. Swagger got nowhere with del Rio so I don't see him going anywhere.

Henry seems to have 0 chance after Raw.

I had no problems with Bray Wyatt's debut at all. To be the monster, you have to beat the monster. Plus, Kane doesn't have much else going on right now. Especially since I don't see Hell No reforming just to battle them. Unless maybe Kane swallows his pride and asks Bryan for help in which it validates him as not the weak link. In regards to the "Hus-ky Har-ris" chants, I thought the crowd was saying "That's an En-trance!" Took me a second watching to figure that out. I do hope Kane doesn't get pulled from the All-Stars match, though.

Anyway, my picks are Bryan and Sandow. If not Bryan, I'd like Orton. And I can see a Ziggler/Sandow in a "showing off is not smart" feud for the WHC. I do find the concept of the 2 MitB matches intriguing this year. It'll be very interesting to see how the crowd reacts to the All-Heels match.

I figured Vickie would go back to managing but I am not sure how I feel about her with Cryback yet.

I thought they were chanting, swear to God, "Ballpine Hammer". I don't watch NXT, so I thought that maybe hitting people with a hammer was part of the gimmick. Apparently the chant was quickly drowned out by a "that was awesome" chant.

I'd rather see Cody Rhodes win, ahead of Damian Sandow. I think having the latter be jealous of the former could be a really good storyline that could help elevate both men. I've come to like Cody, and I would like to see them do more with him.

Cody is so great, both in the ring and on the mic. Shame he's been a jobber for most of the last year. I can easily see him or Sandow carrying the Smackdown belt, but Cody may be too small in Vince's eyes.

I thought they were chanting, swear to God, "Ballpine Hammer". I don't watch NXT, so I thought that maybe hitting people with a hammer was part of the gimmick. Apparently the chant was quickly drowned out by a "that was awesome" chant.

I'd rather see Cody Rhodes win, ahead of Damian Sandow. I think having the latter be jealous of the former could be a really good storyline that could help elevate both men. I've come to like Cody, and I would like to see them do more with him.

I think you are confused with TNA. That's the Aces and Eights gimmick with the ball peen hammer.

I also do agree with both of you on Cody. I could really see him win too and turn face by feuding with Sandow. Either Sandow winning and screwing Cody in the match or Cody winning and Sandow being jealous. I personally like Sandow's gimmick and mic skills more right now but Cody seems to have the edge in the ring. Not that both are bad in either areas.

The only curveball I could see upsetting Bryan in the match is Kane's "injury" this week on Raw. That leaves an opening in the match. And I could see all sorts of stupid things that could happen, like Bray Wyatt getting the spot & briefcase for a huge monster push. Or Mark Henry, who enters the match after his predictable loss to Cena to earn another shot at the title. Or Brock Lesnar, who probably would trash Punk and then leave.

The rumor is that Kane's going to be pulled from MITB, setting up a six-man against the Wyatt family for SummerSlam. There are also rumors that Cena/Henry feud will continue, possibly even with Rybeck (ugh), so I could see them doing Wyatt Family vs. Kane, Bryan, and the Undertaker. I'd feel bad for the Shield, as they were supposed to be involved with 'Taker if he worked SS, but I guess the Family is a more natural fit.

Cena/Henry/Ryback actually seems like a good idea to me. If they are all fighting each other, then they aren't using up the time of actually entertaining/talented wrestlers, and that means I can totally skip those segments/matches. Hell, they should stick Seamus into the mix while they're at it.

Henry at least has come into his own in the last few years, but I agree his matches are still pretty dull. Rybeck really wouldn't benefit from the match at this point, I don't think. I still have a hunch they're going to do Rybeck/HHH, but I haven't heard any rumors that that's the plan. Cena's just going to keep being Cena, of course.

Sadly, I was right about Orton being a likely winner. Meh. Audience is so into Bryan right now--moreso than anyone else in that match--but McMahon gives the MITB instead to a guy who does not need it at all. Seems like guys like him and Cena shouldn't be involved in these things since it's just a matter of time before they win the title anyway. I knew the Heyman swerve was coming when he came out to the ring, but thought it might have been for the purpose of getting RVD into his stable. Extremely lame that Bryan was taken out by Curtis freakin' Axel though. Ugh. Now there's a potential feud no one wants to see. I hope they spin it as he was just trying to protect Punk without Heyman's approval, but then it opens the door for a really confusing explanation of why he didn't know what was going on and how good his relationship with Heyman really is. Much easier for me to understand this as WWE setting up a Bryan/Axel feud for the extremely meaningless IC title.

Audience was also really into Rhodes, and damn if I didn't want him to take it. Hopefully WWE will build on this and give him a real push. Glad Sandow won it over some other options in that match, though. Only guys I would have preferred would have been Cesaro or Rhodes. Sandow's heel mic skills are really a throw back to the great bad guys of the '80s IMO, and so I hope he wins and becomes a legit champ for awhile.

Rest of the show was pretty lame and forgettable from what I saw. No real surprises in the entire show apart from the Heyman thing and Sandow getting the win IMO.

Edited by karamazov80

Yeah, the entire crew did a good job with getting the crowd behind Rhodes. By the time I was getting into him, I knew Sandow was the winner. So I was delighted with the result. Looking forward to the Rhodes Scholars breakup feud! And Fandango and Ambrose oddly didn't get entrances so those two were obviously not going to win.

Well, Orton basically has done it all except be Mr. MitB. So I wasn't surprised. He would have won it eventually. Like Sheamus will win it eventually too just to have it on their list of accomplishments. Orton is a safe choice and I think it will be the seed for his turn into the dark side. I mean, come on, Cena is most likely going to be the person Orton is going to cash it in on. And Cena always needs bad guys to beat up.

Well, not only did I not go to the show, I ended up not even watching it, since my wife was using the computer to finish up her doctoral thesis. I guess that's more important.dry.png Anyway, sounds like a decent show. Cena/Henry sounds like it was about as good as it could possibly be. Some predictions based on last night for tonight and SummerFest:

-Orton winning, to me, telegraphs that his cash in will be unsuccessful. Because Randy's on his third strike, I don't know if we're going to see him winning the title in the near future, and he certainly can survive the hit of cashing in and loosing. I predict that he'll announce he's cashing in tonight to open Raw. In the main event, they'll be having a PPV quality match when the lights go down... and here comes Brey Wyatt. The Family costs Orton the title, and targets him, setting up Wyatt Family vs. Kane/Orton/Undertaker at SS (sorry, Shield. You're yesterdays' scary heel group).

-Cody turns face and feuds with Sandow over the briefcase, resulting in a ladder match at SummerSlam.

-Bryan probably does wrestle Axel tonight; hopefully that's as far as it goes, and he can still challenge Cena. I think Brock's on Raw tonight, so maybe they'll do Bryan/Punk vs Axel/Lesnar? No, probably not.

-Rybeck still has no credibility. Tonight, he's going to beat Justin Gabriel by being so sad Gabriel forfeits out of pity.

LOL about Ryback. Poor Justin Gabriel.

I did think the Orton thing made sense for one single reason--it was something he hadn't done before, so now it can be listed along with the rest of his accomplishments like being champ 50,000 times (as if that means anything anymore), winning Royal Rumble (assuming he's done it) etc.

Edited by karamazov80

Well, let's just hope Daniel Bryan's journey has a happier ending.

I tuned into Raw just in time to see CM Punk making his way down the ring, and MY GOD was that segment great. Two perfect promos, and one perfect beatdown. This is gonna be great.

I downloaded MITB, but I've only watched the "all stars" match. Fun. Kind of sad to hear the crowd noticeably deflate when they realized Orton was gonna win (though he did get a nice pop when he got the briefcase down). I have nothing against Randy Orton, and I think he's been completely wasted in the last year or so. Hope this gets his mojo back a little bit.

My favorite bit from the match has to be the crowd chanting "no!" when Sheamus was doing the forearm strikes to Bryan on top of the ladder. Poor Sheamus. I know his character kind of sucks, but he really is a good worker, and he took quite a beating in this match. I feel like we smarks just don't give him enough credit.

Loved seeing the big pop for RVD, and I really enjoyed his match with Jericho on Raw. He was never as good in WWE as he was in ECW, but it's pretty hard for anybody to be as good as RVD was in ECW.