The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On another note, apparently WWE Network will include all the Benoit matches on existing shows and PPVs, and will air the Over the Edge 1999 PPV, where Owen died (heavily edited, of course). I agree with the Benoit move, because he was an important part of wrestling's history, despite the tragedy he was responsible for. But I thought Over the Edge should have been canceled after Owen fell, and it seemed in such bad taste to keep going after what happened--that WWE was explicitly responsible for, by the way. I see they want to have a full library available of shows, but damn.

I agree, I guess. I understand they are in a rock and a hard place, since they want to have the full library available. Frankly, I can't understand wanting to watch that show, with or without the edits. Similarly, while I'm glad (I suppose) that they have decided to include Benoit, I do wish they would edit out his post-WM celebration with his wife and son.

Speaking of Benoit, Chris Jericho had Chavo Guerrero on his podcast last week, and he spoke quite a bit about Eddie and Benoit. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I hear it's really something.

I am loving this fan support for Cesaro. Definitely my number 2 favorite wrestler in the company, and just like my number 1, is developing a huge following with his talent and natural charisma, despite the WWE not giving him near the opportunity it gives so many others.

Cesaro's in a weird spot, where they obviously recognize his talent, but they don't seem to quite believe in him. I think I said this before, but he would have been PERFECT for the "Heyman Guy" spot that went to Axel. Imagine how good the post-Brock matches between Punk and Cesaro would have been; they almost certainly wouldn't have needed to draft Rybeck in a misguided attempt to save the angle. Hell, maybe Punk would have liked working with Cesaro so much that he wouldn't have quit!

BTW, the Observer reported that Cesaro is now just Cesaro. No more Antonio. I predict he's going to have a big breakout performance at the Elimination Chamber.

I'm really interested to see the crowd reaction on Smackdown, when he fights Orton in the main event. If they really wanted to start promoting him of course, that match would go on Raw instead of *shudder* Orton/Sheamus.

On another note, I was sick at home yesterday and spent a lot of time listening to wrestling podcasts. I heard the Jericho/Chavo ones, and they were really interesting. Not only was Chavo there when Eddie died, but he was one of the last ones to apparently have contact with Benoit. Poor bastard. I also listened to some of the Jericho/Bret Hart stuff, and CM Punk being interviewed by the great comedian Marc Maron. That was a really good one I thought, with Punk talking with a guy who didn't understand wrestling, and was trying to figure out why people did it and were interested in it without being overly judgmental about it. Punk dropped so many f-bombs, and seemed to be so brutally frank. Weird to see a WWE star under contract behaving that way, even though it was obviously not a WWE-endorsed interview or anything like that.

I listened to the first part of the Bret Hart interview, but the audio was so bad I didn't listen to the second. The one he did with Edge is pretty good too; it's funny how Edge talks about being "the most hated man in wrestling" without really ever talking about what happened. I always wondered if people in the locker room took sides for that whole thing, or if they just figured they had to work with all of them, and it was none of their business. But here's hoping Matt Hardy inducts Lita into the HOF.

BTW, dunno if you care about Smackdown spoilers, but apparently the crowd got really behind Cesaro. Here's how I'd turn him: Book the Real Americans in a tag team match at WrestleMania against Sheamus and Rey Mysterio (or just a singles match between Sheamus and Cesaro). Put Hulk Hogan in their corner, because you can't have Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania at the same time you've got a heel team with the name "Real Americans" and not have them interact. After the match, have Zeb and Swagger want Cesaro to put Hogan in the Giant Swing. Cesaro refuses, joins with Hogan in taking out Swagger and Zeb. And thus a new hero is born!

I have liked Cesaro from watching the Indy's. I have said it before he only has to do one more move in the WWE and ppl will really get behind him even more, just cant see the WWE letting him use it while he is still technically a heel. an that move is the UFO.

I can actually see one of two things happening he will use it at the upcoming live NXT 2 out of 3 falls match with Sami Zayn (El Genericho) they are both ex ROH and know how to put on a good match against each other. Their last 2 out of 3 match is classed as one of the best matches of the year in WWE.

Second I can see him doing it WM30 as it would be a good moment an perfect for a face turn

Just cause its cool here you go.

Yeah, that could be an insanely popular move, though the Giant Swing already is. I wanted to see Bryan do the helicopter spin at some point, but now I think it would feel like it was taking something away from Cesaro if he did. Plus, it isn't like Bryan needs another gimmicky move to get the audience behind him. Glad to hear the audience is getting on Cesaro's side on Smackdown. Of course, that's what I would hope to see.

BTW, dunno if you care about Smackdown spoilers, but apparently the crowd got really behind Cesaro. Here's how I'd turn him: Book the Real Americans in a tag team match at WrestleMania against Sheamus and Rey Mysterio (or just a singles match between Sheamus and Cesaro). Put Hulk Hogan in their corner, because you can't have Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania at the same time you've got a heel team with the name "Real Americans" and not have them interact. After the match, have Zeb and Swagger want Cesaro to put Hogan in the Giant Swing. Cesaro refuses, joins with Hogan in taking out Swagger and Zeb. And thus a new hero is born!

That would do it laugh.png But it's looking like Swagger will be outed from the group. And I actually think that's a better solution, to out Swagger and then keep Cesaro and Mantel together. Because Cesaro could really benefit from having such a great mouthpiece.

Elimination Chamber would be the perfect place to do that spot; Christian or Bryan could take it easily, and it would steal the show. I don't know about keeping Cesaro with Zeb, since I don't think Zeb's act can work as a face, and at this point Cesaro should turn. He'll probably just end up as another boring WWE babyface, though.

Well he was a huge face in Memphis back in the day. I think he's one of the more talented "personalities" in wrestling, and has the kind of versatility where he could definitely work as a manager for a face wrestler. I don't think he would be simplistic or traditional in that role. He would probably still keep his wit and edge, but without pushing the crowd's "boo me" button so much.

Tonight I watched an old Ring of Honor PPV from 2008, and it was so good. Opening match was the now Cesaro, Seth Rollins, Delirious, and Go Shiozaki in a 4 way bout, winner got a main event title shot against McGuinness. Later in the show Daniel Bryan and Austin Aries had a match. Then the main event was Rollins against McGuinness. Enjoyed the heck out of it. And it's funny to see how Bryan's style has "evolved" from then to now. He looks like a totally different guy, and has gone from wrestling like a New Japan guy to a WWE guy.

Supposedly this promo is how Jeff Hardy is returning to TNA.

err WTH!!

Speaks for itself, doesn't it? I don't get TNA, and honestly, I never really got Jeff Hardy. They fit together well, though. Good luck with whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

They were talking about that on the Bryan and Vinnie show. Apparently Will O' the Wisp was his backyard wrestling character from when he was a teen. Some wrestlers are better when they can express their true selves... and some are not. I was a Hardy Boyz mark back in the day, but they are just sad now. Clean up and grow up already.

I'm not saying that Dutch Mantel couldn't be a face, but the Zeb Coulter character would have to do a complete 180, and I'm honestly not sure that it could work. But, I guess if they could make people cheer the Big Boss Man....

You could be right about that. I do worry about Cesaro without a mouthpiece. It worked in ROH, but Vinny Mac is only going to let guys go so far without it. Unfortunately, the major available options right now are Heyman and Coulter. In my dreams, McMahon has the sense to bring on Colt Cabana as a face manager.

I saw that Matt Hardy is now a major player at ROH. He looks really old and out of shape.

Edited by karamazov80

Just watched the Cesaro/Orton match from Smackdown... it's really good. They put Cesaro over big, obviously to legitimize him for the Chamber match, but he looked like a real star. He and Orton have great chemistry; I imagine a PPV match between them would be really good. Cesaro got a big pop when he blocked the draping DDT and turned it into a Swing attempt, finally getting Orton swinging a minute later. Orton sold it wonderfully. And the finish was completely clean: Cesaro turned a Superplex attempt into a Sunset Flip/Powerbomb combo, then hit a running uppercut ant the Neutralizer for the win. Good, good stuff. I hope this is the beginning of good things for Cesaro, and that he gets a face turn and a nice push, and isn't just being built up for one match before being knocked back down. He can absolutely have a good match with anyone, and is probably the most unique guy on the roster. Push him already!

I just watched it myself. Pretty good match. I don't think I've ever seen a Rolling European uppercut before. I wonder if that is going to be a new finisher for him. Neutralizer isn't the best finisher IMO.

Cesaro takes on Cena tonight. If he wins that, we'll know his push is for real.

I'm really looking forward to the Shield/Wyatts match. They've built it up pretty perfectly. I think it's probably the last hurrah for the Shield, though. I will miss them. Hope they are on to better things.

One person not on to better things... Emma. I don't watch NXT, but I've heard such good things, and the girl seems like she's fucked already. Getting stuck with Santino...not a good way to begin your career.

No. From what I understand, the bad dancing thing came about rather naturally, and was just a part of her character. So, of course, when she comes up to the main roster, all she is is the bad dancer. Le sigh.

I watched most of Raw, but missed the middle bit, which of course included the Cena/Cesaro match. Gonna have to go watch that, sounds like it was great. I know Cena's really high on Cesaro, so I imagine he wanted to make him look good (though, of course, he wouldn't put him over, because Cena). I also listened to a bit of Cena on the Steve Austin Show while arguing about the size of raccoon toys, and you can see why he's Vince's guy. He's just absolutely the perfect guy for them: tireless worker, only thinks about wrestling, doesn't complain about creative direction. Bryan Alvarez and Lance Storm were talking about him a few months ago, and how nondescript his character is. This was right after that show where Cena ran to the building at the end of Raw to attack Orton, and they thought it was ridiculous that he wasn't driving, and they speculated what kind of car he would drive. But the Cena character is so bland that there's nothing you associate with him. And I think that's really true. We never see him in anything but his jorts and t-shirts. We have no sense of him as a person beyond hustle, loyalty, and respect. It makes him the perfect "WWE Superstar", but pretty damn boring to anyone over the age of eight.

I missed Raw because I was ill with a stomach bug last night. I agree about Cena being a great champ. I heard CM Punk on Marc Maron's podcast, and he was throwing around f-bombs left and right, apparently talking honestly about how he felt about some things in the company, etc. I've never seen Cena doing that. I caught him on some Bravo show a couple of weeks ago, which was supposed to be informal, and had guests drinking alcohol, etc., and though he had apparently been drinking, he was still the perfect company man. He didn't say or do anything out of line, and acting slightly embarrassed when someone else said something crude, etc.