UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Help me name my gym! *Prizes?*

fatcow

Hey guys, as you may or may not know I'm opening up a gym in Chicago. Its going to be an alternative fitness place with equipment that isn't used in traditional gym e.g no dumbbells or cardio machines. Because of the part of Chicago we are opening in and the fact that I am a huge comic book,sci-fi and general pop-culture buff we are decorating the gym like one would a comic book store or other similar geek outlet.

With this comes the issue of finding a name, we had an identity designed but were contacted by a now defunct business in California who we had never met or spoken to saying they had already registered the name and asked for an obscene some of money to sell it to us.

We now in a pickle, everything has been thrown off and we need a new name. Here's where the "contest" comes in.

Name the gym. It doesn't have to be directly fitness related, but can be. We have some keywords that we would like to work in but again they don't matter .

Keyword: athletics, club, fitness

General idea of the business : Limited member gym with a balanced gender ratio, creating a serious environment to get results in.

We are intending on having arcade machines strewn throughout the place, prop replicas, comic busts and of course minimates.

Prizes :

If we go with the name, which after posting this if I don't follow up I will have a lot of explaining to do, you get 50 dollars ( not a huge amount but we are a small business after all ) and since we will be getting t-shirts printed regularly with novelty slogans , logos and other coolness on them you will receive one of every t-shirt, depending on when we print new ones.

Not a huge prize but hey, I've exhausted options and this is a very creative community.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time!

Aren't businesses registered at the state level, where it is ok for a gym in California to have the same name as one in Chicago? That is how it works for our engineering company. There is one in Texas with the same name, but legally it is fine since they are registered in different states. Maybe this other company is just trying to squeeze money out of you, even though they have no legal ground to stand on?

Fatcow's Sweat Shack

This would inspire me to go.

You could also go with a mix of the pop culture stuff and excercise and call it RetroActive.

Or, similar to that, since you lost the name rights you could call the place REDACTED. I guess you'd have to pay Zach Oat fees for that probably.

Some other cheese-tastic comic-based ideas (not sure if any would incur a lawsuit):

Asgardian Athletics (you could promote it with a generic Thor looking guy with big muscles)

Club Clobberin' Time

The Amazing Athletic Club of Chicago--(Spider-Man font)

Uncanny Physical Fitness

'Nuff Said Athletics

The Fitness Society (or League) of America

Fatcow and His Windy City Commandos Fitness

Old Gods Fitness (Jack Kirby inspired motif)

Aren't businesses registered at the state level, where it is ok for a gym in California to have the same name as one in Chicago? That is how it works for our engineering company. There is one in Texas with the same name, but legally it is fine since they are registered in different states. Maybe this other company is just trying to squeeze money out of you, even though they have no legal ground to stand on?

Yes they are, this guy has his business registered in multiple states despite not actually running any businesses in said states under that name. I guess a rich guy with nothing to do.

Love the names guys! I'm definitely going to be posting pictures of the construction process on here so you guys can join me on the journey. I get to buy lots of cool stuff haha.

Some other suggestions I got from people :

Dragon Slayer's : Fitness For The Discerning Dungeon Crawler

The Minotaur & The Mermaid ( from my wife, suggesting the minotaur represents the male population of the gym and the mermaid the female )

I'm leaning towards a name rooted in mythology perhaps, something sounding somewhat upscale. I realize I'm asking a lot guys and fifty dollars isn't much but its someone's to claim! Have at it!

p.s. Any MMMV members ever in Chicago feel free to drop buy, planning on displaying my MM collection too!

Fatcow's Sweat Shack

This would inspire me to go.

You could also go with a mix of the pop culture stuff and excercise and call it RetroActive.

Or, similar to that, since you lost the name rights you could call the place REDACTED. I guess you'd have to pay Zach Oat fees for that probably.

So far in the lead we have RetroActive!!!!!

Everyone involved with the gym loves the name, if we end up going with this the money is groundhog's BUT there is still time for someone else to beat this. If anyone has any ideas on how to add to RetroActive, either a caption or additional words that would be much appreciated! You guys are awesome! Seriously, I am blown away by how nice everyone is.

No dumbbells or cardio machines? What type of equipment will you have? Kettlebells? Pilates equipment? Who's your clientele?

As for names:

Arkham Athletics

Hyperion Fitness

The Secret Lair

The Hero Lab

Calisthenica Gym and Collectibles

The Exerciseum

Grayson's Gym

Chi-Town Playground

The Chill Fitness & Collectibles

Edited by Fujis

Has anyone said "Underground Fitness" inspired by the Batcave, and secret lairs everywhere, as well as a new style fitness movement.or for you mythology fans, it could be a reference to Hades, :thumbsup:

what about "The Fitness Corps" (as I'm partial to Corps, being in one for 4 yrs ..... Semper-Fi!)

Edited by Nervous

No dumbbells or cardio machines? What type of equipment will you have? Kettlebells? Pilates equipment? Who's your clientele?

As for names:

Arkham Athletics

Hyperion Fitness

The Secret Lair

The Hero Lab

Calisthenica Gym and Collectibles

The Exerciseum

Grayson's Gym

Chi-Town Playground

The Chill Fitness & Collectibles

Awesome names! There is a huge gap in Chicago in the fitness market for gyms catering to people who want to workout without the ego and weird sexual tension in most big gyms. No creepy personal trainers at our gym, and there will be a dress code that insures the following wont happen :women's asses aren't falling out of their clothes, men with unnecessarily tight shorts and essentially our gym not being a meat market. We are opening up in the Wicker Park area next to a lot of small, unique businesses ...I mean there is a coffee house with a delorean in it. Yes...a full size, replica BTTF delorean. So we are catering to a group of people that I can't put a label on but hope that helped.

Equipment wise we have an indoor running track, weight sleds, kettlebells, pull up/dip stations, battling ropes, climbing ropes, plyos , a boxing ring, bags , tires/hammer combo, ube machines and a large matted area . Personally while I have trained with weights extensively , most of my life has been spent as a pro Muay Thai fighter so I believe a lot in functional training.

BTW I just secured a deal on a 6 player X-men arcade machine...pretty excited.

Keep the names coming guys.

Man, you had me until you promised that women's asses wouldn't be falling out. Who the hell wants to go to a gym without women's asses falling out? :angry:

Anyway, I was going to suggest Pop Fitness, as in Pop Culture, but then I realized that would sound like you're catering to grandpas, so... how 'bout Crisis of Infinite Fitness? Best I've got on short notice.

Man, you had me until you promised that women's asses wouldn't be falling out. Who the hell wants to go to a gym without women's asses falling out? :angry:

Anyway, I was going to suggest Pop Fitness, as in Pop Culture, but then I realized that would sound like you're catering to grandpas, so... how 'bout Crisis of Infinite Fitness? Best I've got on short notice.

Ass falling = strip club. Haha, from a male perspective I do understand what you're saying but I feel like gyms have a creepy sexual vibe nowadays that I don't get. I mean I truly want to help people and don't have the patience for people who come to the gym for a social experience that doesn't include seriously working out. I want people to do a crazy hard work out, get results and relax in our lounge playing arcade games, drinking tea or just talking about things that don't involve Jersey Shore or any of the Kardashians. I know its asking for a lot but I know there is a market and a lot of like minded people on the forum too.

If you're ever in Chicago you must stop by.

Trying to build a life size Dalek for a center piece right now!

Thanks again everyone and the ideas are much appreciated!

BTW I LOVE THE NAME!

Edited by fatcow

I will actually be in Chicago for a family reunion at Wrigley this summer, but I'm not sure I'll have much time beyond that (it might be a very quick trip, unfortunately). Hope you're planning a Minimate display. I think you might be able to even talk some of us suckers into donating a custom or two if you do (and I bet you can get Zach to give you some pub).

Incidentally, I was kidding about the whole women's asses thing. I hope that' clear. I mean, I like them just fine, but there is a time and place for them. And everyone should be able to work out without feeling like they're on display.

I will actually be in Chicago for a family reunion at Wrigley this summer, but I'm not sure I'll have much time beyond that (it might be a very quick trip, unfortunately). Hope you're planning a Minimate display. I think you might be able to even talk some of us suckers into donating a custom or two if you do (and I bet you can get Zach to give you some pub).

Incidentally, I was kidding about the whole women's asses thing. I hope that' clear. I mean, I like them just fine, but there is a time and place for them. And everyone should be able to work out without feeling like they're on display.

Yes definitely doing a minimate display. If anyone is interested in donated customs when the time comes you will definitely get credit. :) I have a modest collection but my GL corps is growing everyday , I'm at 7 now so hoping to grow to at least 15-20 before the gym opens though don't think I'll have time.

Is anyone in this thread from Chicago or surrounding areas per chance?

I've opened gyms for other people in the past but this is the first time its my own business and not for someone else so going all out with the geekdom. I'm hoping to get some autographs at chicago comic con without paying an arm and a leg.

Hope the reunion goes well!