UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Street Fighter x Tekken

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy Series 2 like crazy, and hopefully the line is so explosively successful Series 3 spontaneously generates:

I’ve given up all hope on a series 3 (I just hope they didn’t sell so bad a stand alone Street Fighter or Tekken line is off the table when new media comes along to support either) but I’ll still buy more of this wave then series 2 because it’s got some excellent fodder potential AND I know who most of the characters are (seriously, I have no clue who Raven, Murdok, and Lilly are... and the only head scratcher in wave 2 is Rufus, why not Ibuki?! WHY NOT IBUKI?!)

Like Dr Bagman I too have sadly given up hope on wave 3 (and also wish we WEREN'T getting Rufus over everyone else), but as this wave includes a number of my favourites from Tekken (including my "main" Hwoarang!) I'm looking forward to getting this wave :D

Why have you guys given up hope for series 3? Was there some bad news about sales? I never heard anything.

If this line does do badly, I hope they still consider a Street Fighter only line. (Tekken also) Everytime SF characters are released they are mixed with something else. First, Darkstalkers, then some SF characters showed up in Marvel vs. Capcom. Now we have SF with Tekken. Even though I love the Tekken characters and want more, perhaps a more focused line would do better. I wish they would have jumped on the SF4 bandwagon when the game came out. That game did very well.

I think now that Tekken Tag Tournement 2 is out, it might be a good time to get a Tekken only line going.... The Evo fighting game tournement is in July. It would be a good time to make an announcement and/or release an exclusive etc...

llama - The latest ask DST said that Wave 3 is no longer on the cards.

And I agree. Considering as how SFxT didn't explore the more interesting aspects of both series roster (blah blah blah, I like obscure characters, blah blah blah, down with the mainstream ones that the casuals know, blah blah blah, more love for the obscures only the hardcore know), I do think a line that tied in with SSF4 AE and tied in with TTT2 would have been BRILLIANT! However DST has said they aren't a game-toy making company, which is probably why. I'm guessing they got MvC3 due to the connection to Marvel and SFxT was a side product of that perhaps?

I just looked at the recent ask DST entries. I see the part that says they have no plans for series three but I never thought they had a series 3 planned yet. That still leaves open the possbiility depending on how series 2 does, but I guess it does seem unlikely.

I guess it would just be another of many short-lived SF lines. Sota was the best. I hope the play arts line sticks around for awhile but at $50-$60 each and only four releases a year, it would take over a decade and a lot of money to get to the obscure characters.

I just looked at the recent ask DST entries. I see the part that says they have no plans for series three but I never thought they had a series 3 planned yet. That still leaves open the possbiility depending on how series 2 does, but I guess it does seem unlikely.

I guess it would just be another of many short-lived SF lines. Sota was the best. I hope the play arts line sticks around for awhile but at $50-$60 each and only four releases a year, it would take over a decade and a lot of money to get to the obscure characters.

If we could get a complete version of the Super Street Fighter II cast in some toy form I'd be a happy camper. SOTA was SO close with their SF line. They just needed DeeJay at the end.

I would think Capcom was the problem. Marvel is what sold and carried the MvC3 line and that died, and then Capcom had to carry the even more obscure Tekken (not that Tekken is obscure, but less popular than Capcom) and the two together just couldn't sell.

Fairly certain Capcom would be a tough sell by itself; i also don't think DST could get an all-inclusive Capcom license for cheap without a VS game. Keep in mind, we didn't just get any Capcom character, we got the ones from one specific game. It's different.

I would think Capcom was the problem. Marvel is what sold and carried the MvC3 line and that died, and then Capcom had to carry the even more obscure Tekken (not that Tekken is obscure, but less popular than Capcom) and the two together just couldn't sell.

Fairly certain Capcom would be a tough sell by itself; i also don't think DST could get an all-inclusive Capcom license for cheap without a VS game. Keep in mind, we didn't just get any Capcom character, we got the ones from one specific game. It's different.

I am not sure how much a minimates release has to sell to be successful. I would think it would be on a smaller scale than say a LEGO release. If that is the case, I would think that the Street Fighter/Capcom fanbase would be enough to make these successful... if you can reach them. Most minimates fans are probably Marvel fans. For SF minimates to be a success, they would have to reach new buyers, not just Marvel fans who happen to be SF fans. It would probably take time and multiple releases to build up a Street Fighter/Minimates fan base. It is a little dissapointing, however, when new lines keep getting started and then ended too soon.

Another issue, that I mentioned before, is that SFxT was not received well by some in the fighting game community for various reasons. There was a post about the SFxT minimates on Eventhubs (a fighting game website) and one of the commenters accused Capcom of releasing SFxT minimates just to milk even more money out of the game. Nevermind the fact that the poster was completely wrong about who manufactures minimates, but it shows some of the attitude towards this game and Capcom right now.

I still think they missed the ball by not releasing SF4 minimates. I think it would have been a lot more successful, though I still haven't even heard any official word on how well SFxT minimates have sold.

Let me also point out that the pre-orders for the first two Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Play Arts action figures are selling out on some sites already at $65 a piece. Is it a good time to get a TTT2 license?

Edited by llama

DST is still a business though, they can't turning them out to "hope" that the line will eventually catch fire and rock. A lot of people mentioned their shops not ordering them, and they haven't necessarily been hard to acquire elsewhere, and we would usually have heard they'd have something in the cards for Toy Fair by now (excluding Walking Dead but that's fairly obvious they do).

I think you just proved my point though; there's no market for them and even fans of the game aren't buying them. Regardless of the reason, if the SF/Tekken fans themselves won't pick them up, then they're failing.

(And keep in mind, the years-old Street Fighter line failed too.)

DST is still a business though, they can't turning them out to "hope" that the line will eventually catch fire and rock. A lot of people mentioned their shops not ordering them, and they haven't necessarily been hard to acquire elsewhere, and we would usually have heard they'd have something in the cards for Toy Fair by now (excluding Walking Dead but that's fairly obvious they do).

I think you just proved my point though; there's no market for them and even fans of the game aren't buying them. Regardless of the reason, if the SF/Tekken fans themselves won't pick them up, then they're failing.

(And keep in mind, the years-old Street Fighter line failed too.)

I don't disagree. I hadn't heard any news about the sales of SFxT minimates but like I said, I am not surprised if they didn't perform well. Any fanbase needs time to grow. I bet even Marvel minimates and minimates in general took time to gather a fanbase. I just want them to attempt an SF line that doesn't have what I consider to be a drawback. The SF2 line did not look too good to me and it was watered down with Darkstalkers characters for some reason which was a little confusing for a supposed SF line. There were a few SF characters included in Marvel vs Capcom but once again, not a very good line for SF collectors. Now we have SFxT which is based on a game that a lot of the target audience was not happy with and once again not pure SF.

I just want a SF line that is pure SF and timed/licensed correctly. If it did moderately well, (at least enough to make a profit) I would like to see them try sticking with it long enough to build up a SF minimate fanbase. I wouldn't expect them to stick with it if it was a complete failure. DST must have some interest in SF. They keep coming back to it. I just want them to do it right and at least give it the best chance of being successful.

Edited by llama

Let me elaborate on what I think would be a good Street Fighter line:

Released in 4 figure sets perhaps

World Warriors pt 1

Ryu

E Honda

Zangief

Dhalsim

World Warriors pt 2

Ken

Chun Li

Blanka

Guile

Shadaloo

Balrog

Vega

Sagat

M. Bison

The New Challengers

Cammy

Fei Long

Dee Jay

T. Hawk

Alpha pt 1

Charlie

Adon

Gen

Rose

Alpha pt 2

Sakura

Birdie

R. Mika

Dan

Metro City

Guy

Cody

Rolento

Sodom

SF3 pt 1

Alex

Hugo

Elena

Oro

SF3 pt 2

Ibuki

Makoto

Necro

Urien

SF3 pt 3

Yun

Yang

Q

Gill

SF4 pt 1

Abel

C Viper

El Fuerte

Rufus

SF4 pt 2

Juri

Hakan

Gouken

Seth

SF5?

The obvious ones are at the top. If it was successful enough, it could eventually have enough fanbase to get to the more obscure SF3 characters etc... or, as much as I hate to say it, they could mix in alternate versions of more pupular characters. I think they do that with Marvel? Oh well, I doubt this would happen anytime soon after the SFxT releases but it's fun making lists...

By the way, I am a big fan of Karin from SF Alpha but she is not owned by Capcom and would probably be a licensing nightmare, hence the reason I skipped her.

Edited by llama

World Warriors pt 1

Ryu

E Honda

Zangief

Dhalsim

World Warriors pt 2

Ken

Chun Li

Blanka

Guile

Shadaloo

Balrog

Vega

Sagat

M. Bison

The New Challengers

Cammy

Fei Long

Dee Jay

T. Hawk

Alpha pt 1

Charlie

Adon

Gen

Rose

Alpha pt 2

Sakura

Birdie

R. Mika

Dan

Metro City

Guy

Cody

Rolento

Sodom

SF3 pt 1

Alex

Hugo

Elena

Oro

SF3 pt 2

Ibuki

Makoto

Necro

Urien

SF3 pt 3

Yun

Yang

Q

Gill

SF4 pt 1

Abel

C Viper

El Fuerte

Rufus

SF4 pt 2

Juri

Hakan

Gouken

Seth

SF5?

The obvious ones are at the top. If it was successful enough, it could eventually have enough fanbase to get to the more obscure SF3 characters etc... or, as much as I hate to say it, they could mix in alternate versions of more pupular characters. I think they do that with Marvel? Oh well, I doubt this would happen anytime soon after the SFxT releases but it's fun making lists...

By the way, I am a big fan of Karin from SF Alpha but she is not owned by Capcom and would probably be a licensing nightmare, hence the reason I skipped her.

Thing is with your list, you could honestly remove Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Guile, Zangief, Sagat, C. Viper, Rufus, Abel, Hugo, and Cammy as they've already got nice modern minimates.

You also left off my main Dudley ;). But you could do a "British Gentleman with Dignity" two pack, adding in SF1's Eagle.

That aside, I think this is the perfect way to do Street Fighter, though maybe go the "Marvel route" and mix up the mainstream with the obscure, say two "classics" and two "obscures" per boxset. As much as I'd prefer the three SFIII sets you proposed (but maybe replace Q with Dudley), I think you and I would be the only people to buy them.

Another issue, that I mentioned before, is that SFxT was not received well by some in the fighting game community for various reasons. There was a post about the SFxT minimates on Eventhubs (a fighting game website) and one of the commenters accused Capcom of releasing SFxT minimates just to milk even more money out of the game. Nevermind the fact that the poster was completely wrong about who manufactures minimates, but it shows some of the attitude towards this game and Capcom right now.

I still think they missed the ball by not releasing SF4 minimates. I think it would have been a lot more successful, though I still haven't even heard any official word on how well SFxT minimates have sold.

I remember seeing that post... I HONESTLY wish I could have slapped the person who wrote it, as, like you said, they had no idea how minimates are made, who by etc.

World Warriors pt 1

Ryu

E Honda

Zangief

Dhalsim

World Warriors pt 2

Ken

Chun Li

Blanka

Guile

Shadaloo

Balrog

Vega

Sagat

M. Bison

The New Challengers

Cammy

Fei Long

Dee Jay

T. Hawk

SF4

El Fuerte

I would definitely buy these figures.

Thing is with your list, you could honestly remove Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Guile, Zangief, Sagat, C. Viper, Rufus, Abel, Hugo, and Cammy as they've already got nice modern minimates.

I figured that if they ever release SF minimates again, it would not be for a little while as the SFxT line is still too recent. (it is still happening) Plus, if there is any chance of getting a new SF line off the ground, it would have to include the most popular characters. That's why they made Ryu and Chun Li again even though they were recently released in the Marvel vs Capcom sets.

You also left off my main Dudley ;).

Oops. I figured Alex, Ibuki, and Dudley to be the most popular SF3 characters and I intended Dudley to be in the 3rd set but I forgot to put him there. Oh well. Like you said, these would probably have to be mixed up differently because there are too few people who know the less popular SF3 characters. Perhaps a UK set including Dudley, Eagle, Cammy, and Birdie would be more balanced with popular and less known charactes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went by TRU today and was shocked to see these. My TRU didn't get a bit of Series 1. Here are some pictures of the exclusives. Kuma is the star of this wave by a mile.

Hugo

8E703B3A-E967-4B1B-A2AB-8705433582B0-1842-0000013524B7E4C6.jpg

Heihachi

C91DBA99-4CA1-4B06-857D-CC3FE7AD9ADD-1842-00000135323FE7C9.jpg

I love the way that DST did the hair for Heihachi.

EC9870C2-533B-4659-8229-4156401DCA5B-1842-00000135294CAA5C.jpg

Now Rocky has a Tiger Buddy

EEFB3289-A384-4B12-A8D4-66660DEA0E0F-1842-0000013542E78BE1.jpg

Rolento

74EDFE91-F519-4A55-AAC0-36B0FBD4C0A9-1842-000001353660C286.jpg

Kuma

9976470B-08A3-41BF-A006-DFC06E419906-1842-000001352D99A3F3.jpg

3C5D0AF2-5EFE-415D-A157-A458A9F99BC7-1842-000001355390DC0D.jpg

6F7F9590-3298-4966-8CF2-C92644DC0AC8-1842-000001354F516A6D.jpg

The head is a mask type and not one piece like Vorin. I think that both "hands" are the same piece because of the central placement of the "thumb". The "hand" pieces are a bear (pun intended) to get off so be careful.

3A572C75-B0F5-4963-8678-90F86D2904EB-1842-0000013557C32AFD.jpg

Speaking of Vorin. Kuma & Vorin comparison

BE2F2C49-9A49-49EF-AF74-8E720FE0C5D7-1842-000001355C99D5D1.jpg

Here are the sku#s from the receipt.

D3B0D6BF-455B-4ABD-81E8-B42EF671F978-1842-0000013C4C1549C4.jpg

If there are any other pics anyone would like to see let me know.