UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Street Fighter x Tekken

p.s. What's up with the interchangeable nicknames from the SFII characters?

In Japan, M.Bison is called Vega, Balrog is M.Bison and Vega is Balrog. However Capcom of America a) were worried that a boxer named M Bison might land them in hot water with someone named Mike Tyson (you may have heard of him...) and B) felt Vega was too weak a name for a final boss, so they switched the names around. This has caused some fans to call them Dictator, Boxer and Claw encase one player considers M.Bison to be the dictator and another to be the boxer. It's pointless trivia like this that I find quite fascinating. On a similar note, recently Balrog's gloves have a bison/bull on it as a nod to his Japanese game, although you can only really see it on games like SFIV.

NO E. HONDA?!?!?! Well that's disappointing!

Well, this is Street Fighter x Tekken, not SFII x Tekken. I understand not everyone has ventured out into the sequels and spin offs and in the opinion of a fighting game fan you are SORELY missing out as Alpha 3, SSIV AE and especially 3rd Strike all blow SFII out of the water with their vast improvements to the fighting mechanics and in my eyes, some better and more interesting character designs. But then I've learnt I'm probably the only member on this forum who takes such an interest in fighting games. Other fans are more casual and thus only played the game they grew up with, i.e. SFII. However as a fan of characters who are either unlikely to get made or just aren't in the game, I can agree with your feelings. Still, assuming it would have ALL the SFII characters when the name doesn't specially say SFII is wrong on your half because there are more games in the franchsie than just SFII (hell there's a SFI out there that, while even more limited by today's standards than SFII, shows some of the trends that would evolve in later games and even had a handful of interesting characters, some whom got revived while sadly others were left in obscurity).

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1347376319[/url]' post='244506']

But then I've learnt I'm probably the only member on this forum who takes such an interest in fighting games.

You're not. thumbsup.gif Though, you're probably the most vocal. 3rd Strike is possibly my favorite SF game, and every moment that passes and I don't have an Ibuki Minimate, I am sadder on the inside.

Edited by The Geohound

1347376319[/url]' post='244506']

But then I've learnt I'm probably the only member on this forum who takes such an interest in fighting games.

You're not. thumbsup.gif Though, you're probably the most vocal. 3rd Strike is possibly my favorite SF game, and every moment that passes and I don't have an Ibuki Minimate, I am sadder on the inside.

:highfive2:

3rd Strike is easily one of my favourite games of all time, so the backlash and general ignorance it has received is quite frustrating and sad. Comments like "All the new characters look like Darkstalkers rejects" and the general hate is uncalled for in my eyes, as even if there are similarities between Dudley and Barlog, it's just that - a similarity. I've come to view the non-SFII games as underdogs, especially 3rd Strike, and I tend to want to stick up for them and make people look at them in a new light (though I appreciate forcing others to look at something when they are less willing isn't going to get the desired result). It pains me I've not had the time to dive into Online Edition and get the half decent skills I had a few years back.

The fact is, I'd honestly LOOOOOVE to have a Dudley minimate in my collection which is why I both love and hate the fact he's DLC - it means when I have the cash for both SFxT and the DLC pack, I can play him and team him up with my Tekken main Steve, but it means I am unlikely to get him as a minimate. To me it's no different to all the Kang fans out there demanding a Kang minimate - he's some obscure villain I knew next to nothing about but some people liked him and wanted to see him and DST eventually agreed. Dudley (as well as other SFIII characters) is to me what Kang was to his legion of fans. Asking purely for SFII characters from this line is like asking for purely X-Men characters from the Marvel line. Sure, it may be the most famous aspect of the company/franchise/whatever, but there is far more to it than just the well known and in my eyes, there's a lot you can find by delving a little deeper and seeing what else can be found. That's why I like web critic CR's series "Familiar Faces" - it looks at the overlooked characters from franchises, tv shows etc. and makes you keen to see more (at least with me anyway).

I hope they don't do an M Bison, I'd rather have a new character made, as we already had a pretty decent M Bison.

is M.Bison (or Vega, but since I live in America I mean Raul Julia) in SFxT tubby like Alpha Bison or slim like SF2 Bison?

If he’s tubby I wouldn’t mind a new M.Bison, since he and the original can share space in my collect representing SF2 and SFA Bisons each.(if he’s skinny I’d rather have a new character, he and Demitri are the only SF mates that have aged really well and need no update to those looks)

changed my mind, I realized tubby Bison or not he probably would be a vanilla mate like Sagat and Guile since he’s not “huge”, so I’ll 3rd the “no new Bison” vote.

Although I’m much rather see a stand alone SF line instead of SFxT wave 3, finish the damned sets and stops being limited by who’s in the flavor of the month game.

“oh but I want some Tekken characters...” well tough titties, kitties! I love me some KoF and Darkstalkers but I have to deal with the fact these characters don’t mean d**k to American audiences so I’ll NEVER get good collectables of them... sh*t, I would literally kill someone with a ball point pen if it’d get an official Fighting Vipers Honey/Bahn 2-pack to market... my point is when you’re a fan of something VERY Japanese you need to realize America might not buy into it, and so, if Tekken has caused “soft” sales, ditch the zeroes and gets with the heroes, and the heroes in this case is packing lesser SF characters with SF2 characters so I can have a complete set of Final Fight and Shadowloo... bonus points for Blanka/Dan/Sakura and Guile/Charlie being made too.

Edited by dr baghead

It'd obviously be better. But the one we have is good enough that we would be better off having a new character even if it was Sakura. BBA Megaman FTW!

I still majorly wish we only had Ryu's first appearance minimate made in the MvC3 line, as the SFxT minimate would be good enough for a modern Ryu. We could have had Tron or Hsien-Ko instead!

Edited by TheAnvil

Oddly, the pages for these have disappeared from TRU's site. I don't know if that actually means anything.

It seems that TRU updated a lot of their minimate items to add pictures and remove items that have been out of stock for ages. I am sure these will be up again once their main shipment arrives.