UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spiderman Movie Mates!

Punisher

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so because Garfield has product in his hair makes him edward cullen?

He looks like Edward Cullen, yes. Yeah, I know, it's a popular hairstyle right now... because of the Twilight movies. And they want Parker to appeal to tweens with this one, I get it. But I think that haircut is ridiculous no matter who wears it. And it's a popular hairstyle and that's part of the problem. He doesn't "look" nerdy enough. He looks more like the loner skate rat type than a bullied science nerd (I'm not in any way judging if the man can act, I am going purely by what I've seen.) , and I don't like that. Do I think that's gonna make the movie suck? No. But IMO it's not a good sign.

And I don't care what the fabirc of the suit looks like, I do not like the design. Not saying you are wrong for liking it, but I don't. The fabric doesn't look that different for the Rami suit. Didn't really like it there either, but at least the design itself was "right".

IMO, the only thing Garfield has that Peter Parker has is that he is a twig. Parker should be a little diminutive teenager with a full face, not the banana head Garfield has, nevertheless, Garfield is 6'0 tall. Peter Parker never has been 6'0 TALL!! I think most people have already covered the problems with his haircut.

I thought Garfield was english ....I'm english...& Spider-man is american so I was going to say that that didn't sit right with me. Turns out that Garfield was born in LA.Ca. so I guess that's OK ....but he moved away to the UK (only here do I use that term <_< ) when he was 3.....so he's english........& that doesn't sit right with me.

Neither does his wiki profile which I'd love to talk about but I'm too normal to bother <_<

IMO, the only thing Garfield has that Peter Parker has is that he is a twig. Parker should be a little diminutive teenager with a full face, not the banana head Garfield has, nevertheless, Garfield is 6'0 tall. Peter Parker never has been 6'0 TALL!! I think most people have already covered the problems with his haircut.

Full faced? Seriously? Was Tobey full faced? What the hell, he is a comic book character. Who cares about the haircut. It's a current look. What do you want him have, a Romita inspired spit curl? I'm looking forward to the movie. I dont care for the costume but like Batman Begins, I'm hoping it's more character driven and majority of the movie is out of the suit. But hey, I'm probably in the minority.

Also, should'nt we be having this conversation in the movie thread not the movie mate thread? :biggrin:

I thought Garfield was english ....I'm english...& Spider-man is american so I was going to say that that didn't sit right with me. Turns out that Garfield was born in LA.Ca. so I guess that's OK ....but he moved away to the UK (only here do I use that term <_< ) when he was 3.....so he's english........& that doesn't sit right with me.

Neither does his wiki profile which I'd love to talk about but I'm too normal to bother <_<

If you want to make a good film, you have to get English actors.

Garfield is absolutely perfect for Spider-Man, wonderful actor... and he actually looks like a drawing of Peter Parker. This film has a far better cast all round, which I why I'm certain this will spawn the superior series of Spidey films. I've certainly got no problem with the first two Raimi films, they're good. He may be older than Maguire was when he started, but looks far younger... even as a teenager Tobey looked like a sad old man. Good actor though, good Parker... bad Spidey.

I don't have a big problem with things like a modern teenager dressing like a modern teenager. Sure, the suit isn't great, but the fact Garfield has the right build, and his moving/posing in traditional Spidey style is far more important to me. Gold eyes are no more problematic to me than all those silver lines all over the old costume.

My biggest problem with Amazing Spider-Man is Rhys Ifans... terrible actor.

So really, we are of 2 camps.

1: "SM3 sucked. Thank goodness for a reboot!"

2: "This new movie looks awful, and is an unnecessary reboot. SM3 wasn't that bad."

That about sum it up?

Three camps.

3. "Crap, they're still debating Andrew Garfield. When will they start talking about that swell DST product again? Man, DST is awesome."

So really, we are of 2 camps.

1: "SM3 sucked. Thank goodness for a reboot!"

2: "This new movie looks awful, and is an unnecessary reboot. SM3 wasn't that bad."

That about sum it up?

I guess there are 3 camps then:

3. "SM3 sucked, thank goodness for a reboo...wait...the new movie looks awful too!"

Full faced? Seriously? Was Tobey full faced? What the hell, he is a comic book character. Who cares about the haircut. It's a current look. What do you want him have, a Romita inspired spit curl? I'm looking forward to the movie. I dont care for the costume but like Batman Begins, I'm hoping it's more character driven and majority of the movie is out of the suit. But hey, I'm probably in the minority.

Also, should'nt we be having this conversation in the movie thread not the movie mate thread? :biggrin:

First, I never mentioned Toby, you did.

Second, the reason some of us do not like the haircut is exactly because of what you stated.

It makes him look NORMAL, not nerdy.

I admit, I do not think the movie looks promising, but that is only my opinion.

On the bright side, what does my dumbass know, I also thought casting Heath Ledger for the Dark Knight was a mistake, and looked how that turned out, I was wrong.

Trust me, once again, I hope I am wrong and this movie turns out to be amazing or spectacular (comic pun intended), however, I just have a bad feeling it will not be.

on a side note Zach, the minimates do look great! :thumbsup:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the Edward Cullen thing. Andrew Gardield looks nothing like that guy, and you're the first people I've ever seen try to make that comparison stick.

Personally I think this movie could be far, far superior to the Raimi films, if for no other reason than it looks like they're finally taking it completely seriously instead of winking at the audience through dance numbers, musical montages and the like. It may end up not being a success, but the feel of the trailers has done a great job of washing the bad taste of the Raimi films away, and I don't just mean the third film. I never got the impression Raimi really loved or respected the character, and to me always seemed to be far too willing to change aspects of the characters to suit the story he wanted to tell as opposed to telling a great story with the characters.

I gotta agree. I'm excited to see this one, even though I'm not a huge fan of the costume, Parker's tall-ish hair or the less-snouted Lizard.

The Raimi films never grew on me. I was excited to see the first one (I really loved all the actors/actresses) but Goblin looked hokey and it just kept going downhill in #2 with Peter taking his mask off all the time. By the time #3 came out, I snuck out of a lousy movie at the theater to see it, watched about 40 minutes and left. I didn't pay for it and walked out, it was just so over-the-top. I didn't recognize the characters, except for Sandman. He was the only casting call and performance I liked.

I was a born-and-raised-on Spider-Man comics from birth. Ditko, Romita Sr., Mooney, Andru, Romita Jr., McFarlane, Larsen, etc. It's Spidey's universe and characters I know the most about in all of comicdom (with the exception of Allred's work) and those kept feeling less and less like Spider-Man.

Edited by Mystery Man

I think Rami was just playing to his strengths and the strengths of his actors. Tobey never seemed comfortable in the costume, and so they minimized that by minimizing costume time. And for a room full of children of the 90's, you guys have forgotten where Rami been for the years proceeding Spider-Man... down in New Zeland making Hercules and Xena shows. And so when more and more of Rami's winking at the camera sense of humor creeped into those movies, it wasn't that surprising. It's like hiring Tim Burton and being surprised when things start to get weird. I do believe for interviews with Rami he did have a deep love of comics and Spidey, but Sam Rami can't help being himself, or putting Bruce Cambell and Rami's kid brother in everything he does. I liked most of it, but I'm a fan of Rami and his style. But I completely understand it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I also thought Mcguire was a pitch perfect Peter Parker, but an awful Spider-Man. Somehow, despite being uncomfortable in the suit, he could not translate that into Peter's nevervous energy and joking defense mechanisms that mask the character's own insecurity about being a hero. If nothing else, the few clip quips scene so far show that Garfield is much better in that department.

I think Rami was just playing to his strengths and the strengths of his actors. Tobey never seemed comfortable in the costume, and so they minimized that by minimizing costume time. And for a room full of children of the 90's, you guys have forgotten where Rami been for the years proceeding Spider-Man... down in New Zeland making Hercules and Xena shows. And so when more and more of Rami's winking at the camera sense of humor creeped into those movies, it wasn't that surprising.

Personally, I never watched either of those shows. In fact, the only Raimi stuff I'd seen up to this point were the "Evil Dead" movies.

I also thought Mcguire was a pitch perfect Peter Parker, but an awful Spider-Man. Somehow, despite being uncomfortable in the suit, he could not translate that into Peter's nevervous energy and joking defense mechanisms that mask the character's own insecurity about being a hero. If nothing else, the few clip quips scene so far show that Garfield is much better in that department.

I love McGuire as an actor, but he just wasn't Peter or Spidey for me. His head's too round. I dunno... just... didn't work for me. :lol:

Rami's biggest strength lay in the villains of his films. Doc Ock was amazing and the Green Goblin, Power Rangerage aside, was actually some pretty accurate to character acting from Dafoe. Spider-Man 3 might have been passable had they treated all of their villains with the respect they deserved. However with the three not all of them could get adequate screentime (except Harry who developed for multiple movies before this... and promptly lost his memory) meaning none of them had the ability to be fleshed out as much as Dr. Octogonapus or the Goblin.

Now it looks like a mildly interesting Lizard will be coming up with an excellent Spider-Man... May the circle be unbroken by and by Lord by and by. There's a better film awaitin in July when the Dark Knight Rise.

Though I'm still looking very forward to Amazing Spider Man.

:D

Edited by Trekker 42

Twas a real shame someone as talented and creepy looking as Dafoe was stuck behind that big silly mask.

Please remind me, in SM2, doesn't Peter show how much easier his life is now by eating a hotdog to 'raindrops keep falling on my head'?

There was indeed a Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head montage that was supposed to show how much better Peter's life was without being Spider-Man. I don't remember the hot dog, but he did get his schoolwork done, and had time to make some money at his job and generally looked happy. It was cheesy as all get out. But I kinda digged it.