UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Amazing Spiderman Movie Mates!

Punisher

I don’t like that the Stacys (Stacies? Staci?) look nothing like Emma Stone or Dennis Leary.

I’m sure they’ll be fine as representations of the movie characters or the comic characters or whatever, but they don’t look they’ll work for Zombieland or Rescue Men fodder.

I LOVE Rescue Men! :teehee:

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call this a more accurate spidey movie. Some of your own point out it's not comic accurate

1. Gwen wasn't a science nerd

2. Parker's parents don't have a big part in the comics...there was a retcon in ASM that fleshed them out as CIA agents. If it's a bigger part then Miry will correct me i'm sure

3. neogenics? You are pulling this from Spider-man the animated series

7. Spider-man's costume was handmade sewn together in the comics (not counting big-time and iron spidey)

Pretty sure Gwen was a science major, just like Peter and Harry. But yeah, this film looks like it diverges from the comics as much as all the other big and small screen adaptations have, which is fine by me. They're making a movie, not a comic book.

2. Parker's parents don't have a big part in the comics...there was a retcon in ASM that fleshed them out as CIA agents. If it's a bigger part then Miry will correct me i'm sure

I believe the retcon you speak of was when they miraculously re-appeared ran from ASM #363 to #389. They seemingly returned from the grave, but were actually LMD's that Harry Osborn and the Chameleon were using to ruin Peter's life.

The original tale of Richard and Mary Parker and how they worked as agents of the CIA and OSS, respectively, 'til they got married and Mary left the OSS to join Richard in the CIA. They posed as double-agents to investigate the (3rd) Red Skull, got caught and were framed and then died in a plane crash.

This was explained in the ASM Annual #5, as Peter investigates these matters and discovers they weren't really double-agents after all and vindicates them.

Later on, during the "Untold Tales of Spider-Man" series a #-1 issue was released during their "Flashbacks" event that showed Richard and Mary as spies and having to rescue an "Agent 10" (Wolverine) from a foreign power. The issue ends, iirc, with Peter being born. The thought was that after he was born they'd go on "on last mission" before retiring as agents, but it turned out that this was the mission that killed them.

I wouldn't call this a more accurate spidey movie. Some of your own point out it's not comic accurate

7. Spider-man's costume was handmade sewn together in the comics (not counting big-time and iron spidey)

Pretty sure Gwen was a science major, just like Peter and Harry. But yeah, this film looks like it diverges from the comics as much as all the other big and small screen adaptations have, which is fine by me. They're making a movie, not a comic book.

ok my bad my memory's a bit fuzzy. I went to an engineering school and none of the women we're hot so I wrongly assumed Gwen was a liberal arts major...

ok my bad my memory's a bit fuzzy. I went to an engineering school and none of the women we're hot so I wrongly assumed Gwen was a liberal arts major...

1. If you didn't have any hot engineering majors at your school, that's not the degree's fault. There were more than a few at my school... never enough to go around mind you which is why I was a liberal arts major. (that ans I suck at math) But yeah, science major was Gwen. BUT they did not meet until freshman year of college, and initially she thought he was a complete flake and a coward. (he did have that habit of disappearing when trouble arose) It wasn't until Peter bought a motorcycle that Gwen even gave Peter a second look. Chicks after all, dig guys with motorcycles. The idea that Peter knew Gwen, Harry, and even MJ while still in high school came from Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man. All these characters were from the college years cast. In High School, originally only Flash and Liz Allen (who followed Peter to college) were actually given personalities, and Peter dated Betty Brant, the graduated secretary from the Bugle. Anything else about the kids in Peter's High School came from Busiek's Untold Tales stories which fleshed out more of the cast from that period than Lee ever did. The idea Peter had a high school sweetheart is a total Bendis fabrication. The idea it was Gwen came from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

2- It's really hard to call something that happened in ASM annual #5 a retcon. It's more like before then Peter's parents simply had no backstory. They died, and left Peter with his father's older brother. The "they were spies" idea has been slowly expanded on over the years, but again, as nothing is known about them there's little to retcon.

3- Yes, yes that's exactly where that term comes from. And they used the Lizard and his research in their Spider-Man origin too.

7- and continued to be hand sewn and hand repaired by Peter until he started dating women who knew his secret and were willing to help him with it. These days, I suppose Spidey just gets his suits from FF inc. and they're all made from UM and stuff.

Unless my eyes deceive me that costume is not classic comic book accurate and by the way looks absolutely hideous.
It is completely hideous

Yes, yes it is hideous. Not warming up to it much either, personally. Not a fan of the drippy new symbol either. YMMV, but you're wrong.:tongue:

1. If you didn't have any hot engineering majors at your school, that's not the degree's fault. There were more than a few at my school... never enough to go around mind you which is why I was a liberal arts major. (that ans I suck at math) But yeah, science major was Gwen. BUT they did not meet until freshman year of college, and initially she thought he was a complete flake and a coward. (he did have that habit of disappearing when trouble arose) It wasn't until Peter bought a motorcycle that Gwen even gave Peter a second look. Chicks after all, dig guys with motorcycles. The idea that Peter knew Gwen, Harry, and even MJ while still in high school came from Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man. All these characters were from the college years cast. In High School, originally only Flash and Liz Allen (who followed Peter to college) were actually given personalities, and Peter dated Betty Brant, the graduated secretary from the Bugle. Anything else about the kids in Peter's High School came from Busiek's Untold Tales stories which fleshed out more of the cast from that period than Lee ever did. The idea Peter had a high school sweetheart is a total Bendis fabrication. The idea it was Gwen came from the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

2- It's really hard to call something that happened in ASM annual #5 a retcon. It's more like before then Peter's parents simply had no backstory. They died, and left Peter with his father's older brother. The "they were spies" idea has been slowly expanded on over the years, but again, as nothing is known about them there's little to retcon.

3- Yes, yes that's exactly where that term comes from. And they used the Lizard and his research in their Spider-Man origin too.

7- and continued to be hand sewn and hand repaired by Peter until he started dating women who knew his secret and were willing to help him with it. These days, I suppose Spidey just gets his suits from FF inc. and they're all made from UM and stuff.

Unless my eyes deceive me that costume is not classic comic book accurate and by the way looks absolutely hideous.
It is completely hideous

Yes, yes it is hideous. Not warming up to it much either, personally. Not a fan of the drippy new symbol either. YMMV, but you're wrong.:tongue:

Tha'ts why I married a nurse from the nursing school :biggrin:

and yeah about his parents I mainly talking about when they decided to make them spies. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

You made me shed a tear talking about the Spectacular Spider-man cartoon. Sigh.

I think this movie's going to be an interesting test for Marvel Studios, to see if the general moviegoing public will accept reboots the way comics audiences do. Will non-geeks that embraced the Raimi films feel the need to see this one? We'll see, but it's a gamble. The payoff, though, is that if ASM's a hit, then Marvel can reboot the other... not so good film franchises, like the FF and Daredevil. Otherwise, they are eventually going to reach the point where they run out of films to make.

so organic webbing, power ranger goblin and nice guy brock were comic accurate, me thinks not!

this movie is the spiderman movie IVE been waiting for :D dont care if people wanna hate it, im just glad i can have a spiderman in theater's that doesnt have this:

goblin-2.jpg

or for that matter....this :unsure:

goblin2.jpg

For the record: I'm only hating on the costume... and the Edward Cullin inspired haircut.

I hope overall this movie works. Batman and Star Trek were successfully rebooted. (still can't get over the fact that the later actually worked) So hope springs eternal.

On the other hand, overall I had no big problems with the Rami films and generally enjoyed the heck out of them (would have enjoyed the third one more if it would have had one less villain, don't care which one). I had lots of small gripes, but to me the fun of those movies outweighed the bad, mostly. I was really hoping to see what the fourth one would bring. Ah well.

I don’t like that the Stacys (Stacies? Staci?) look nothing like Emma Stone or Dennis Leary.

I’m sure they’ll be fine as representations of the movie characters or the comic characters or whatever, but they don’t look they’ll work for Zombieland or Rescue Men fodder.

I LOVE Rescue Men! :teehee:

I know right! It’s the best show on FX right up there with ‘Justifried' and 'Songs of Anarchy’ :pinch:

All I know is I explained to a group of 4th graders that this was his origins story, and I was met with a unanimous "WHY?! We've seen that!"

Mind you, these kids were not alive when Spidey 1 happened. And they still don't want to see it.

Yep, pretty much what I would expect. Can you convince the general public that they didn't just see this movie- or a version of this movie they really liked- ten years ago? I know that seems like a long time, but in movie lifetimes, it's not long at all. I suppose Marvel has to hope that there was enough bad taste left from the atrocious Spider-Man 3 for people to want to start over. But everything I'm seeing (unlike Nolan's Batman movies) is that this is just an inferior version of the first movie.

All I know is I explained to a group of 4th graders that this was his origins story, and I was met with a unanimous "WHY?! We've seen that!"

Mind you, these kids were not alive when Spidey 1 happened. And they still don't want to see it.

Yep, pretty much what I would expect. Can you convince the general public that they didn't just see this movie- or a version of this movie they really liked- ten years ago? I know that seems like a long time, but in movie lifetimes, it's not long at all. I suppose Marvel has to hope that there was enough bad taste left from the atrocious Spider-Man 3 for people to want to start over. But everything I'm seeing (unlike Nolan's Batman movies) is that this is just an inferior version of the first movie.

Good point!

@Undeadpool I'm not saying that Raimi spider-man movies were more comic accurate, just that this new one isn't more accurate than the previous ones. They are movies so they have to depart from comics somewhat in order to get it translated to the big screen and make it work.

My spider-man does not wear a basketball for a costume. Hideous.

Organic webs make more sense with the mutation, and because of that, are more believable than a highschool kid building something that not even a rocket scientist could.

As for the costume, I'm a cosplayer, and I know plenty of cosplayers who are both incredibly talented and well-off financially, and NONE of them would be able to make this new costume, let alone a 16 year old kid with no money or sewing talent. (As for not being comic faithful, it does look a lot like Ben Reilly's costume...minus those fugly orange eyes...)

Marvel Studios does not have anything to do with this movie. If they did, it wouldn't be "Dark Knight Spider-Man" any more than it would be "Evil Dead Spider-Man." If Marvel Studios were making this movie, I doubt anyone would have anything to complain about (though, knowing nerds, someone still would <_<). Marvel Studios did the Iron Mans, Incredible Hulk, Cap, Thor, and is doing The Avengers. SONY is making this piece of garbage. They had the rights for the characters when Raimi did it, and they needed to make another movie before the rights lapsed and someone else was able to buy them (Marvel Studios). 20th Century Fox has Fantastic 4 and Daredevil, so even if this did well, neither Marvel nor Sony would be able to do anything about F4 & DD. And, again, judging by how great IM/IM2/IH/CA/T were and how good Avengers looks, if Marvel Studios did them, they would be just as amazing (as would X-Men [Fox], Punisher [Lionsgate] and Ghost Rider [Columbia/Sony]).

IIRC, Sony is the reason Rami left, and it was allegedly over the Lizard. Sony insisted on the Lizard having a more human face, Rami wanted a more traditional look. Guess who won? If the rumor mill is to believed, Sony was to blame for Venom even being in the third movie, both Goblin's non-traditional costumes, and Global Warming. Allegedly the organinc webs, that was Rami for the reasons TEN described.

But every movie ever made is a series of compramises between what the director wants and what the producers and studio will pay for. Most directors go in with some kind of vision for the script they are trying to bring to life, however inept of brilliant that might be. The Producers and Studio are investing their money into the project because they want a big return and want movies to be as comercially successful as possible. That doesn't make them evil, or wrong, they just want to make sure that anything they pour millions into will apeal to the broadest audiece possible so they get their money back.

Would Spider-Man be better if Marvel Stuidos got the rights back? I dont know, they haven't missed yet while Fox and Sony have stumbled their last few turns out of the gate. But Spider-Man 2 and X-Men 2 were both strong showings, and Iron Man would have never been made had they not been. But at this point Disney would have to throw more money than they'll be willing to spend to gets the rights back from either Sony or Fox.

If the rumor mill is to believed, Sony was to blame for Venom even being in the third movie

Raimi's always said it was Marvel producer Avi Arad that convinced him to use Venom. But he was always planning to use two villains (well, three with Harry, or four with Dancing Peter) for SM3 anyway, it was just Vulture in earlier drafts. For five minutes or so it was also going to be split into two movies because the plot was so unwieldy. That movie is such a mess. :yucky:

That movie is such a mess. :yucky:

I think Spider-man 3’s biggest crime was wasting Topher Grace as a throw-away Venom (Raimi killed him off and Sony never planned to bring him back in the Venom Spin-off)

Topher should have been Peter Parker when Tobey was done with the role in Spider-man 4 or 5, and Emma Stone should have been Mary Jane (not in the same movie, the 10 year age difference might be a little creepy, just saying who’s gonna play Mary Jane in the future ‘Amazing Spider-man’ movies if you got Emma Stone playing Gwen Stacy?!)

Maybe Topher’s next editing project should be to remove himself (and thereby the whole Venom plot and dancing emo Peter) from Spider-man 3 so it’s a watchable movie, and Sony can use that as the jumping off point for a Spider-man 4 with Topher as Parker!

Raimi's always said it was Marvel producer Avi Arad that convinced him to use Venom. But he was always planning to use two villains (well, three with Harry, or four with Dancing Peter) for SM3 anyway, it was just Vulture in earlier drafts. For five minutes or so it was also going to be split into two movies because the plot was so unwieldy. That movie is such a mess. :yucky:

See, Vulture would have worked better even in the framework of that film than Venom did. Venom's origin, even simlified as it was is very intiment and complex. Vulture is a much simpler character- he feels he has been wronged and wants what he feels is owed him, be that revenge on his busines partner, money from the banks he feels he should have earned, and payback for anyone who gets in his way. So much of what was just painful to sit through, the whole emo Peter the cookie munchin', swing dancin' fool part would have not happened if Venom were not involved. Maybe Peter would have been obscessed with getting even with Marko, and pushed MJ away. Toomes wants revenge on the Osborns, and that's what scars up Harry's face. MJ and Harry do their whole buddy, buddy afternoon thing, Vulture captures her to get at Harry, ending of the movie pretty much plays out with the two on two. Yeah Vulture would have not been as clumsy an addition to the story.

The Venom story needs its own film, with maybe one 2nd stringer for contrast, like the Shocker, who Spidey can whip in super-black-suit mode. JMO.

Well, the original script had Felica Hardy become the Vulture, or something similarly insane, to which I almost blew a gasket. But a Black Cat/Vulture villain film with a Green Goblin wrap up would have made that movie so much smoother.

I still maintain the best, and easiest, Venom into ever was Spectacular Spiderman.

But I'd rather watch Spiderman 3 all over again than see Edward Cullen put on Ben Riley's Spider suit.

so because Garfield has product in his hair makes him edward cullen? Macguire was the worst emo parker id ever seen, if anyone has watched Imaginarium of Doctor Parnasus or the social network, then you know Garfield can play a great nerdy guy with a wide range of emotion, not to mention his role in an episode of doctor who which he was very good in :D

also for everyone hating on the suit, ive got to say i prefer it, the material's pattern makes sense for something that needs to be durable but flexable, and it helps with the natural flow of the webbing effect, also the reds and blues seem more crisp, the eyes are smaller and make more sense, having UV protection and probably dont way down the mask as much, the web shooters look awesome and draw from a lot of technology in modern spidey comics and the spider design is pretty similar to the original just with longer legs

so because Garfield has product in his hair makes him edward cullen? Macguire was the worst emo parker id ever seen, if anyone has watched Imaginarium of Doctor Parnasus or the social network, then you know Garfield can play a great nerdy guy with a wide range of emotion, not to mention his role in an episode of doctor who which he was very good in :D

also for everyone hating on the suit, ive got to say i prefer it, the material's pattern makes sense for something that needs to be durable but flexable, and it helps with the natural flow of the webbing effect, also the reds and blues seem more crisp, the eyes are smaller and make more sense, having UV protection and probably dont way down the mask as much, the web shooters look awesome and draw from a lot of technology in modern spidey comics and the spider design is pretty similar to the original just with longer legs

Well, no. He looks nothing like Peter. At least Tobey had the loner, anti-social, "i don't care how i dress" look. Garfield's hair is loaded with product, not to mention it's huge and styled, and he has an impressive fashion sense for someone with bigger priorities. Tobey LOOKED like Peter. Not to mention, Garfield is older than Tobey when he did his first; the dude is practically 30 playing a highschooler for God's sake.

And no, it really doesn't. Spider-man doesn't need a fancy suit with "UV Protection and flexible durability." He's Spider-man, not Batman; all he needs is a costume, not armor and tech. That and they completely disregarded the comic design (Orange eyes?? REALLY??) ; at least the first one, while made from some unbelievable fabrics, LOOKED like the source material. It doesn't look like a teenager (or 30-year old nerd) made it at all.

I mean, you can defend it all you want, but it is definitely not "more accurate" than the Tobey ones.