UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel wave 44

Lobsterman

Are you saying wave 44 Cap's boots are different then the boxset Cap's boots?

no, the 44 and boxset boots are the same, but they are different then all past Captain America's

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying wave 44 Cap's boots are different then the boxset Cap's boots?

no, the 44 and boxset boots are the same, but they are different then all past Captain America's

No no, he's right, that's totally what I was saying. :) Just got the Disney Store box set and that Cap has the old/usual boots. Wave 44 Cap has the new boots. At least on mine.

Wait,dark horse publishes sw comics.So does that mean that we may get sw mates?!?!?

Yes. That's exactly what this means. :rolleyes:

I was asking in case Lucas still holds the rights do them even if dh gives permission for other licences Lucas says no and sw is left out. I'd kill for sith lord mates.

Edited by Kostisfire

Plus, most DH titles are creator-owned.

Yeah, Star Wars is most DEFINITELY "creater owned." Like, kung fu death-grip, George's kids won't get any, "creator owned!"

And I may be mistaken but I believe Hasbro would have to sub-license Star Wars since block figures would probably fall under their current agreement. I believe that arrangement has worked out well for them and Sideshow.

If you take them and dc out,what's left?

100 Different publishers, last time I checked Diamond's Previews catalog.Not Zenescope, though, they already have a minifigure line.

Of those 100, how few of them even have marketable characters that would sell as Minimates?

Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse. Boom Studios? IDW? Get much further past that and there's a severe drop-off in name recognition.

Take out Marvel, DC and Image then try to name just 10 publishers that have something marketable.

Dark Horse, Boom! and IDW have a lot of licensed properties that the comic publisher would have no involvement in licensing toys. (Star Wars, Transformers, etc, etc)

Take out Marvel, DC and Image then try to name just 10 publishers that have something marketable.

1) IDW: Locke & Key, 30 Days of Night

2) Cartoon Books: Bone, Rasl

3) New England Comics: The Tick

4) Archaia Enternatinment: Mouse Guard

5) WaRP: Elfquest

6) ICON Press(independant press from Marvel, they are creator-owned properties): Powers, Scarlet, Kabuki, Nemesis, Kick-Ass, Criminal...

7) Abstract: Strangers in Paradise, Echo

8) Oni: Scott Pilgrim

9) Dynamite Comics: The Boys, Project Superpowers, Vampirella, Red Sonja (not sure if they actually own the RS rights...)

10) Archie (Hey, SOMEONE is still buying their stuff, right?)

11) Dark Horse: The Goon, Hellboy, Usagi Yojimbo

I've been out of the comics scene for a few years, but those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by youbastards

1) IDW: Locke & Key, 30 Days of Night

2) Cartoon Books: Bone, Rasl

3) New England Comics: The Tick

4) Archaia Enternatinment: Mouse Guard

5) WaRP: Elfquest

6) ICON Press(independant press from Marvel, they are creator-owned properties): Powers, Scarlet, Kabuki, Nemesis, Kick-Ass, Criminal...

7) Abstract: Strangers in Paradise, Echo

8) Oni: Scott Pilgrim

9) Dynamite Comics: The Boys, Project Superpowers, Vampirella, Red Sonja (not sure if they actually own the RS rights...)

10) Archie (Hey, SOMEONE is still buying their stuff, right?)

11) Dark Horse: The Goon, Hellboy, Usagi Yojimbo

I've been out of the comics scene for a few years, but those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd buy several from your list but I don't think DST can sell enough to warrant most of those. The Abstract books would compete with DST's won Femme Fatales.Scott Pilgrim and Kick Ass were both highly requested AND passed on by DST at the height of their popularity with their movie releases. Dark Horse is a freebie, but seriously, if their properties don't seem lucrative enough, what chance do less popular titles have? We've been asking for so many of those for *years*!

Not every comic reader buys Minimates, not every Minimate collector reads comics. So many of these properties are boring people in plain clothes as it is! I actually read The Boys, and I personally would not want mates of them - the designs are too boring. Powers? Guy in suit. Boring. Locke & Key? GREAT book, boring toy designs. If *everyone* who bought the comic bought the minimates, then maybe, but that will never happen. You need interesting enough designs to appeal to casual buyer/collectors. I think Hellboy would be a slam-dunk in terms of sales, but if that hasn't happened yet, why would DST persue the rights to make civilians like Locke & Key? Or Scott Pilgrim, especially after it bombed at the box office? And Elf Quest? How many people would you find willing to actually pay for those? 100 board members? That's not enough. And as for Archie, just because *someone* is buying their stuff does not mean the market can support their merchandise.

Sorry, there are so many properties we all want, but not enough to make back the money it would take to license, make, market & ship a lot of them. Even with the cost saved from NO license needed for Pirate Raiders, there wasn't enough sales to make it worth the cost for anyone to carry wave 2. And we expect this to be possible with ultra-niche properties from not-even-in-the-top-three comic book publishers?

Edited by monkeycrumb

Monkeycrumb, I wasn't making a list of properties that I want, just taking on your challenge of naming 10 publishers with a non-licensed marketable property. Sure, many of those titles aren't known outside of comic stores, but any one of those properties would have a potential audience at a LCS, and not every release needs a full wave. Some of those would work great as a single boxset, but Chuck has stated before that they don't pursue a license JUST for Minimates.

Some of those would work great as a single boxset, but Chuck has stated before that they don't pursue a license JUST for Minimates.

Hellboy fits the bill perfectly here. 7'' figures in the Munsters/Universal Monsters/Marvel Select fashion, a Hellboy bust/bank, BPRD neon sign, right hand of doom bottle opener, etc. Such a perfect license to fit DST's products.

Edited by Punisher

I just bought the Ant Man variant from Luke's Toy Store and I love the figure, Scott Lang is one of my favorite characters and DST nailed the likeness so well. The helmet is one of my favorite pieces, and the Kree Sentry is awesome as well. I don't really like this wave's Ant-Man very much, so I borrowed the head and helmet from the Avenger's four pack and made a decent looking Silver Age Hank Pym.

Like it or hate it, the helmet on this mate is accurate for the costume that Hank wore when he and his fellow Avengers escaped from the evil clutches of Rob Liefield... err... the Franklinverse. The design was by George Perez, and was his homage to classic Ant-Man/Giant-Man. The helmet would change depending on which powerset Hank was using. Now in the comics, the "mandibles"/amplifier were more prominent, and a little more like the classic helmet, but otherwise this is a really good translation from page to plastic. No idea why the helmet and face line up so oddly.

I think Antman II and Hank Pym look great and really match the comics well. I also like the detail on the Kree Sentry as it really gives that Kirby feel to it. I haven't gotten the rest as I'm waiting on my Disney packs for them. As for the speculation for other comic properties, I'd love some Grendel minimates.

Some of those would work great as a single boxset, but Chuck has stated before that they don't pursue a license JUST for Minimates.

Hellboy fits the bill perfectly here. 7'' figures in the Munsters/Universal Monsters/Marvel Select fashion, a Hellboy bust/bank, BPRD neon sign, right hand of doom bottle opener, etc. Such a perfect license to fit DST's products.

My most wanted piece of Hellboy merchandise comes from some old Darkhorse poster, cover, or ad (can't recall which) by Mignola. I love that Right Hand of Doom bottle stopper. I even briefly considered making one using a Mezco HB hand but couldn't bring myself to do it. I love me some HB/BPRD.

So, uh, wave 44, huh? What's this Cap boot situation? Can someone post pics as mine don't seem to be any different from any other cuffed boot. Is that conversation happening in this thread or in the Avengers boxset thread? I'm so confused.

Edited by Turtle

So, uh, wave 44, huh? What's this Cap boot situation? Can someone post pics as mine don't seem to be any different from any other cuffed boot. Is that conversation happening in this thread or in the Avengers boxset thread? I'm so confused.

I don't have a working camera because I spend all my money on little pieces of plastic, but you can see the difference on the Database photos if you compare 44 to previous Caps, and it's more obvious from the side view. It's not a huge difference, they're just wider/squarer at the cuff and a bit shorter.

who's in Wave 44 again? My memory's foggy after wading through tons of post about possible licenses that aren't relevant to this thread. I see that Ant Man is in this wave.

just saying there's a whole thread about license speculation. We could all go over there to discuss wave 44 perhaps?

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.php?showtopic=11073

:whistling:

Edited by Webhead