UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Possible can of worms opened up.

For the last Q&A session on aa.com I brought up BAF's in minimate packs. It seemed to be misunderstood in the actual Q&A, so I decided to clarify on the facebook page. Now it looks like they are willing to open up the idea to the public (at least on the facebook page) thought it was kind of cool they are taking it into account. Just thought I would let you guys know there is a discussion on facebook about BAF's now.

That could be a really cool thing for them to start doing!

My only hope would be that if they came in a wave, that wave should have all new characters or highly sought after characters so that there are no peg warmers. I would hate to have an almost complete BAF and then have to pay an exorbitant amount of money for an arm or foot that comes in a variant or short pack.

I commented on FB that my only fear with this idea would be the chances of somebody getting 2 left legs or 2 right arms. Face it, left and right MM limbs look very similar at a quick glance and the chances of some factory worker screwing up the pack in BAF parts is better than say bigger 6 inch figures. It would suck for somebody to have to buy 4 / 5 packs, only to have to buy another because of duplicate parts.

I think that's a valid concern. I can easily imagine the accuracy on BAF parts being 50% and the whole thing turning into a nightmare. My other concern would be what would be sacrificed to get a BAF in a wave? A BAF is a nice bonus, but I think I'd prefer the level of accessories that we get now to few accessories with a BAF.

I wonder if the BAF could be broken up across 3 2-packs...

1-upper torso, and arms

2-crotch piece, and legs

3-head with hair/helmet,and all accessories like weapons

and if there is a 4th, it could have other stuff like flight bases, clear stands or new head-hole caps :thumbsup:

any thoughts?

i think the factory is having enough problem QC-wise now and that adding more parts would be disastrous for us, also the cost of additional parts would surely be reflected in the quality of the regular mates be it through less accessories or tampos.

That's exactly what I just said over on FB about costs. I think if there's a wave that could be light on accessories and tampos, a BAF would be kind of cool, but I wouldn't like to see an ordinary wave suffer for it. The Shadowland wave (excepting the awesomely accessory heavy army builder) is a good example of 'mates low on accessories and tampos. But I wouldn't have wanted to give up the incredible Hand Ninja and all of his awesome goodies.

Edited by Turtle

1-upper torso, and arms

2-crotch piece, and legs

and if there is a 4th, it could have other stuff like flight bases, clear stands or new head-hole caps :thumbsup:

any thoughts?

I am OK with this idea since I always get the whole wave anyway. The idea of having a variant part to the BAF in the variant set in the wave is a cool idea.

Random addition to that idea would be to include variant parts to other characters in the wave in the variant pack. (that would cause variant packs to go up in price I think on the secondary market especially).

I loved the BAF in Marvel Legends (my BAF ML Sentinel is one of my favorite toys)so I wouldn't mind this in minimates.

I wouldn't mind seeing a BAF concept replace the variants. For example, in the upcoming Jean DeWolf wave, rather then having one Aunt May variant per case, her parts would be spread over the other three packs in the wave. Each case would have four full sets of three 2-packs, meaning retailers are much less likely to have leftover packs (though, I suppose, they might order less cases since they don't need to fill orders for the 1-per case set). I think it would be a win for everybody.

I don’t think BAFs would work, it sounds fun on paper, but in practice it has some real draw backs.

First, we know it wouldn’t lead to BIGGER characters, those are still off the table in the Marvel line* and if there was some magic loophole where they can’t make a 3inch Hulk UNLESS THEY BREAK HIM UP OVER 3 PACKS don’t you think DST would have done that by now?

So knowing it would just be another 2inch figure ask yourself the following two questions:

-Am I willing to buy 3 packs I don’t want to get my favorite character?

It’s entirely possible Kang will be spilt up among Classic Spider-man #50/Not as good as Wave 2 Carnage, Black to the Future Symbiote Spider-man/Kraven Redo (this coat is sculpted this time!), and Orange Big-Time Spider-man (variant: White Big Time Spider-man) with Ghost of Uncle Ben Army builder (the more you have the more guilty it makes Spider-man feel!) If you can live with this then BAF’s are right for you.

-Am I willing to give up cool accessories to get a part of a figure I don’t want?

If you look on-line you’ll see Marvel Legends Wave 9 original was planned to included bases like every other ML wave, they had to drop them due to cost to include Galactus. Other waves would have had X-Babies, ThorFrog, Forbrush man... all cut do to cost. Think about how much cool stuff the Hand Ninjas came with, how Jameson comes with two outfits, all the goodies in the MvC3 packs, and even little things like two hair pieces for Mega Rage Hulk. Are you willing to give all that up so a chunk of Beak can be put in the pack? If so BAF’s might be right for you.

*I assume this is for the Marvel line, since if they can make a giant Stay Puft mini-mate or maximate pirate or blank, why don’t they just sell it on it’s own? BBTS or AFX or maybe even TRU would probably gladly take it on as an exclusive, the first two sell 400% Kubricks how is that any different?

I like the idea of a BAF. I have for a while, about as long as I wanted army builders in the variant packs. For me, if we can't get larger mates, I would like an additional army builder. Break down (LCS wave) would look like this:

Pack A- "vanilla" mate 2-pack (think big time spidey and iron fist) with army builder upper torso (maybe a different tampo - females?)

Pack B- more detailed 2-pack (DD & Elektra) with identicle army builder lower torso.

Pack C & D- character and variant w/ army builder with army builder head/hair variant ( this could even be different in the regular versus variant packs

A set up like this would not require you to get every pack in the wave. It would reward you if you did. Those who get complete sets would now get not two, but three army builders and each would/could look unique. Those who do not want every set, would not be "penalized" for not getting every set, they would just get spare parts. And those who buy multiples of only the army builder set would have at least a few alternate display options.

1-upper torso, and arms

2-crotch piece, and legs

any thoughts?

That is exactly what I was going to say.

I have a limited knowledge of toys & even less about BAFs but from what I've seen lately with the kubrick lines that I collect is a disproportional increase in price with a massive increase in packaging size. The Minimate Max line includes BAF components & the packaging size remains the same ......that leaves me with the potential price-hike concern.