UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chuck resigns and YOU have the job...

Jatta Pake

Lol at first when I read title I thought it said "chuck resigned";so what would I do?Well first wave of marvel would include beetle and bulked up rhino which of course would mean tons of spidermans in the wave.The next wave would be a fan chosen wave(NO KANG) and then I would probably do a third wave with kang.For UM  I would make invisible man and mumyWould cancel haloMake a Sony wave with infamous,little big planet and kill zone peoplePirates and max would go as plannedfor vehicles I would release the vehicles shown at toy fair 2010(robots,helicopter...)with the money saved from canceling halo would be used to buy dc mates and make a dc wave with the main heroes/villainsAssains creed boxset(ezio,altair,desmond,Ezio's brotherBack to the future boxset with Clara,einstein,cowboy Marty and track suit biffThat's pretty much what's I'd do then I'd give the job to someone probably mr.oat

Edited by darkredshdow

This is the fan-boy speaking, rather than the business man - but i think i'd sign over wave 50 as a Fan Demand wave. 2-packs that fans have demanded or that help finish box-sets.

Kang/Songbird

Falcon/Winter Soldier

Dazzler 90's/ Shi'ar Trooper

FA Dazzler/Shi'ar Trooper

With TRU 2-packs of Banshee/Sunfire & Black Knight/Barron Zemo

Again, this is speaking with my fan hat on - i'd like to see maybe a project run every 2 years where there is an open vote for the contents of a wave. I know they've given us the box-set votes, but i'd like a bit more control in the hands of fans - and i think only having it done every 2 years is reasonably safe (ie: wont hurt sales too much)

I'd probably also try to shape every wave so that it included at least 1 female character, and at least 1 villain.

As for other licences, Dr Who would probably be something worth investigation. And i'd like to see them delve deeper into the MvC license, maybe make some MvC2 characters.

Most things I would leave alone as by-in-large, I think Chuck and the gang do a great job. But there's a couple of things Marvel wise I'd try:

Stop the overlap between TRU and LCS waves. I'd keep at least one pack related in theme, but the TRU waves would focus more on your mass appeal characters, the LCS wave dig deeper into the obscure and fanboyish type characters. I'd bring back the exclusive two packs, and offer them twice a year to different online retailers other than AFX. I'd test the idea of single packed Marvel army builders with a 50/50 case of Hydra soldiers and SHIELD Agents, w/ exclusive 1pc Madame Hydra & Maria Hill. If that sold well, then I'd continue releasing them, one set a year. And I would pursue the heck out of the AEMH liscence and mine that niche like a madman.

And of course, I'd make Kang.

Well, I'm glad you asked:

1. This won't be popular, but I would probably end the Marvel waves at specialty. Less and less shops are ordering them, and both markets are getting stuck with the packs that are shared between specialty and TRU. I would instead ramp up box set production, with the hope of releasing two per quarter, with a mix of teams and storylines. Up first: Annihilation (Annihilus, Drax, Quasar, and Ronan) and Giant Size X-Men (Sunfire, Banshee, Marvel Girl, and Storm).

2. I'd also try to boost sales to comic book stores by focusing on non-Marvel and DC Comics. IndieMates would be a continuing, catch-all line with at least two box sets a year, plus one two pack exclusive. I'd do whatever it takes to get Hellboy, Grendel, and Invincible on board. I'd use my relationship with Marvel's new overlords to try and get the Rocketeer made. And I'd make Nexus, just because I want Nexus.

3. For TRU, I'd pursue what I think could be the most profitable potential license outside Star Wars: WWE. I'd do waves mixing modern guys and classics. The great thing about WWE as a property is that you would hardly need to sculpt any pieces, and you'd be able to rerelease guys as they updated their look. Each time John Cena releases a new Fruity Pebble, new Minimate.

4. I'd look into creating a collector's club much like Hasbro's; I might even turn to the MMMV for assistance. I'd offer quarterly member's exclusives figures. First one? Kang, of course!

5. I'd try and talk to DC again; what the hell, right? I'd also look at the rights for Vertigo properties like Preacher and Transmet, that might not be covered by DC Direct.

6. I'd be more aggressive in pursuing contemporary movies (I'd definitely chase Harry Potter; the window sure as hell hasn't closed). I'd investigate cult TV shows again; might there be a market for Breaking Bad merch? Let's find out.

7. On the seventh day, I'd rest. Probably watch some football. Football, hmmm....

while i have worlds of respect for the DST and AA guys and gals, i do like hypothetical's like this so ill bite.

Marvel:

id have kang be shown but not have him come out for a few more waves, then at that point id host a poll for the top 30 most desired marvel characters, instead of posting the results id show a blacked out teaser with a written clue every few waves or so, this way i keep the fans interest in the series by giving them something they ask for and making sure they will continue to buy Marvel Minimates.

Another thing id attempt to do with the marvel license is not only get MARVEL to approve vehicles, but also some playsets (avengers mansion, danger room, etc).

DC:

thats right, id go to DC direct or whoever i need to to get this license back, and once we have it id run it similar to the MVC line, and id incorporate 4 inch (thats right FOUR inch) build a figures into the line:

example of wave one:

Superman/Armored Lex Luthor (Chemo arms)

Batman/ Joker (Chemo Legs)

Green Lantern/ Sinestro (Chemo Torso/accessories)

Wonderwoman/Giganta (Chemo Head)

id probably have the TRU wave be strictly variants

TRU Wave 1:

Kingdom come superman/Lex Luthor in suit

Batman Beyond/Arkham Inmate Joker

Parallax Hal/Green Lantern Thaal

Kingdom Come Wonderman/Modern Giganta

id also try to acquire the Arkham City/Asylum licenses and do a separate line just for the game.

Other:

Id continue the MAX line on its current route but do a few fan based contests to decide new figures, as well as add a more science fictiony line to the world of MAX, id come up with some villains and do a few playsets for them.

Probably wouldn't change TOO much but I also might aggressively pursue licenses of popular up-and-coming movies to try to get a boxset out of them. Like maybe get out one 4 pack of Real Steel robots or yaknow, HARRY FREAKIN POTTER! Back when it was likely to do well at least! :(

I also would stop incorporating movie waves into the comic book waves. Treat them as a separate license.

Army builder 4 packs would exist.

And we would probably be seeing a bit more of an expansion into video game licenses. Borderlands minimates for example. Or Red Dead Redemption's sequel if it ever gets one. LA Noire might have had a set. Basically big upcoming releases. It would be worth a shot with some of them I think. If it fails a time or two I'll give it up.

I'd greenlight a Madman line by Mike Allred, Nocturnals by Dan Brereton and a Hellboy line by Mike Mignola. I'd work directly with them on all the designs and accessories, as I'm both a huge fan of their work AND minimates.

And Kang, Falcon (classic costume and original green/orange), Tigra, Molten Man, Crime Master and several others I've wanted for ever.

I'd keep most things running as they have been. Change is something that should happen so slowly that it is only obvious in hindsight. I would try to make sure that fans most wanted character would be released yearly, likely just before Christmas, since there will always be another obscure character come along to replace Kang once he is made. At least one four pack per year would be a What If? or alternate universe set to keep things interesting.

One of the gradual changes would be to move the troop builder figures into two of the non exclusive TRU slots with the most popular characters from the regular release. However the troop builders would be a variant rather than identical character. As an example the SHIELD troop builder would be female in one release and male in the other.

One big change would be in movie licenses. Rather than a single wave I'd make sure that it had the option for two waves. The first for the Main movie release and the second for the video release to allow for the addition of characters that didn't make the first wave (Final Battle Whiplash, Banshee, etc).

New licenses I'd pursue include Manga such as Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist as well as slowly expanding into game properties like Capcom's other properties. I'd also hound Square Enix, like some believe should happen to DC, until they relent and allow mates of the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, and Star Ocean series.

Imagine that Chuck gets cast as Sipder-Man in Maryland's off Broadway production and DST hires you to run the Minimates brand. What would you do? What 2 packs of Marvel Minimates would you greenlight? Would you pursue new licenses?

First of all I'd clear the guy's office out & smash his Sipder-Man cookie jar .......a new broom needs to sweep clean.

The second thing I'd do is to commission a Sipder-Man/My little Pony box set & call it something like 'Sipder-Man Friends & Foals'.

Seriously ? Hasta la vista .................

I would definitely want more fan input (i.e: polls). Not the kind where six to eight mates are on the table and people vote for those, but rather poll people for WHICH mates they personally would like to see in a series. Now this wouldn't happen with each wave, but at least once a year. This way fans and collectors could complete teams without having to wait years. Oh and Kang would surely get made this way. :biggrin:

Edited by MINI_MYTE

For the most part, I wouldn't change much. I'd try to get the 2.5" body into the Marvel and other lines appropriately. I'd aggressively pursue other comic lines- especially DC. Hellboy and Invincible would also be top prizes for lines. I'd also try to work other Indiemates into single pack assortments, characters like Madman or Savage Dragon. I would also try partnerships with other toy lines where possible. I'm looking specifically at Mezco, which holds toy licenses for DC, Hellboy, and more movie monsters. A DST/Mezco venture could be cool.

I would probably also try to pursue two more big properties, one some cult favorite geared for collectors, like X-Files or Dr. Who, the other a modern popular series geared more for kids. I think DST does a great job with everything they've got, and they already work pretty hard in pursuing popular properties, so I guess this is more like just staying the course.

And the idea of a 4 inch BAF is hard to not try out.