UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Lineup and Pic of the Heralds of Galactus Now Up

lastweaponmaster

I was disappointed Firelord wasn't in the set, but these look good enough that I can get over it. Unfortunately this probably won't be stocked at a lot of TRUs.

I'd love Rocket Raccoon too, especially after getting the MU set. I'm not sure he'd work near as well as a 2" minimate. I'd like to see what DST could do with him at 1" tall, even without articulation, as long as he came with a big gun.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Harald known as Nova was born on Earth as Frances "Frankie" Raye. She had a fairly normal childhood until at age 14 she was helping her step-father clean out some chemicals from an old lab of his and they spilled on her. I should probably mention that her step-father was Dr. Phineas T. Horton, creator of the original android Human Torch, and that the chemicals were used in the Torch's construction. So of course young Frankie developers flame generation powers similar to the Torch, which Horton suppresses with hypnotism and a special one piece swimsuit looking costume that instantly became invisible and intangible when she put it on. (yeah, I know, I'm trying not to think too much about that one too) Of course as a young adult, she becomes Johnny Storm's girlfriend, and rediscovers her repressed memories and powers. Reed makes her a junior member of the team. Then Terrax shows up, and as noted above kidnaps Manhattan. After sucking Terrax dry of power, Galactus was still hungry and tried to eat the Earth again. But this time Big G is weak enough that the FF, the Avengers, and Dr. Strange actually beat Galactus to the point of death. Being heroes, the save Galactus' life, but the big man is still hungry. So to save Earth Frankie volunteers to replace Terrax and become Galactus' newest Herald: Nova. (Richard Rider was depowered at the time)

Nova proves a most faithful servant, having fallen in love with Galactus. She shows little regard for the lives lost to her master, as she neither knows nor cares much about any of them. This changes after an encounter with the Surfer, who tricks her into going back in time with him. He takes her to primitive Earth, and shows her it's Neanderthal people. Not realizing where or when she was Nova says she'd have no problem leading Galactus here to eat a bunch of apes. When Norrin reveals where he has brought her, it deeply shakes her confidence in the righteousness of her mission. Once back in the present, Nova begins trying to shield suitable inhabited worlds from her master. Of course Big G finds out and is not happy. He promptly fires Nova and replaces her with Morg. Morg proves a problem for everyone, and the all the former Heralds team up to try to defeat him. They succeed, but Nova is slain in the battle. Remarkably, despite other people using her appearance, or her old costume, and of course discounting other dimensional duplicates, she's stayed dead.

Edited by Mirymate

Morg has several distinctions among the annuals of Heraldry- he was one of the most powerful of Galactus' recent "creations" and he was the only known Herald to keep his own name after being empowered. As much as his predecessors origin was tied to hers end, so Morg's was tied to Nova's. Morg was the court executioner on one of the populated worlds Nova tried shield from Galactus. As if to make his own point about the beings she was trying to save, Galactus chose Morg to be Nova's replacement. Like Tyros, Morg was an immoral being, but he lacked Terrax's vain need for conquest. Morg was a simple man who enjoyed his work, and he killed people for a living. Seeing this as a perfect solution to a recurring problem, Galactus empowered Morg to greater extent than he had any Herald since Norrin Radd. As a thank you, Morg killed every living being on his own world so his new master could eat it in peace. Morg went out of his way to find populated worlds for his master, happily slaughtering the populations. When Morg started killing anything and everything that happened to cross his path, the Silver Surfer decided to stop him. When the two proved too evenly matched, the Surfer went to recruit help. While the Surfer gathered his successors, one of Morg's potential victims attempted to bribe the Herald with an offer of more power and lead Morg to some kind of mystic pool which increased his power tenfold. Being a nice guy, Morg killed the guy anyway. Thus empowered, Morg faced off against the 5 other Heralds, killing Nova. This displeased his boss, who had no ill will against Nova despite her betrayal of him, so Galactus withdrew his power from Morg leaving with only the power he got from the pool. The remaining four beat Morg handily, and Terrax killed Morg with his own axe.

Months later, Galactus was without a Herald again, so he decided to resurrect Morg and give him another chance. After taking his axe back from Terrax, Morg was prepared to resume his post when Morg found himself kidnapped by Galactus' foe, Tyrant. Though Tyrant was eventually driven off, Tyrant kept Morg a prisoner for no other reason than to tick the big G off. But Morg escaped, and returned to his master to serve faithfully, if a little less indiscriminately violently, once more. During the final showdown between the returned Tyrant and Galactus, Morg tried to use the Ultimate Nullifier on his foe and at the time appeared to kill himself and both cosmic beings the effect. Galactus turned up again just fine, Morg was confirmed dead in Annihilation. Tyrant, being a bad convoluted idea with a bad 90's design, has not been seen again to my knowledge.

Morg was easily the most powerful Herald who wasn't created just to die before the initial appearance was over. Maybe Stardust or some of the other one shot Heralds were more powerful, but they didn't stick around long enough for us to tell. He was also a complete one-note homicidal psycho whose only redeeming quality was loyalty to whomever his powerful patron happened to be.

Also that Silver Surfer is useless for an Antman, Atom or Wasp custom without heavy rework.

I don't think anyone was planning on MiniMinimate SS being a QC Antman or Wasp. I'm mostly excited that this opens up the gateway for DST to design future miniminimates of such characters. EG: An Avengers set with Quicksilver, Ionic Wonderman, Tigra, & Hawkeye with little over-the-shoulder AntMan & Wasp accessories.

Miry thank you for filling in the gaps on these characters! I remembered some of those events, but definitely not all of them.

I'll second what Luke said. Thanks to your character bios, I now know a lot more about Morg, and can confidently say that he's not appealing to me in the slightest.

Not surprised to hear disappointment about Galactus and indifference about Morg, but I'm really, really surprised to hear that there are people here who not only don't CARE about Terrax and Nova -- two pretty major characters from Marvel lore -- but don't even know who they ARE. Granted, I didn't realize until now that Nova was killed shortly after I read about her adventures in Silver Surfer, but she has a direct connection to the Fantastic Four, and Terrax has fought EVERYBODY and still pops up pretty frequently. Plus, they have great costumes. I hope the set does well at TRU. And while I'm actually not an Airwalker or Firelord fan, those will be some good-looking 'mates when we inevitably get to them.

Well, if you want a great read on old school cosmic Marvel track down the Fantastic Four "the Trial of Galactus" trade paperback. John Byrne at his finest, back before his ego went off the rails. Just track it down, you will not be disappointed.

But speaking of the runners up...

Gabriel Lan served with distinction in the Xandarian Nova Corp, and was rewarded by becoming the captain of the deep-space exploration ship, the “Way-Opener”. His first officer was the hot-headed Pyreus Kril, who over the course of their seven year mission grew to be his best friend. Returning home at the end of their tour, Lan is beamed off his own bridge by a massive spherical ship and never seen alive by his crew again. It seems that Galactus had been searching in the days following the Silver Surfer’s betrayal on Earth for a replacement Herald and had telepathically determined Lan was an ideal candidate. Overwhelmed by the offer of vast power and unlimited opportunity to explore the universe, Lan accepted, was transformed into Air-Walker and never looked back. Air-Walker’s enthusiasm for exploration endeared him to his new master and must have awaken something of the scientist Galactus had been in his former life, for he did something Galactus had not been observed being to any of his other Heralds: he became Air-Walker’s friend. He shared with Air-Walker many of the wonders he had seen in his long existence. Tragically, this friendship was not to last. Nervous at World Devourer’s close proximity, the Ovoids are their ships with weapons designed to slay Galactus and send a battle fleet to intercept him. Air-Walker tries to defend his master, but is struck down. Weak with hunger, Galactus was forced to withdraw from that area of space himself. So weak was Galactus, he was not able to do more than keep a spark of his friend’s life alive. Galactus went to find a planet to feed on, and let his ship place that spark within a perfect android duplicate of Air-Walker. Renewed, Galactus tried to fan the spark into a flame, too much time had passed for even Galactus to restore Air-Walker to full life. Unwilling to accept an inferior copy of his friend, he sent Robo-Walker to reclaim the Surfer from Earth. Robo-Walker found itself in conflict with the FF, then Thor, and finally the Surfer himself and was defeated each time. The android’s battered and deactivated remains were buried on an asteroid by Kril, who had succeeded Lan as the next Herald, Firelord.

But that wasn’t the end. Needing help finding Morg, Firelord, Nova and the Silver Surfer dug up, recharged and repaired Air-Walker with their combined power. Air-Walker joined the battle against Morg and briefly served his former master for a time. Ultimately his android form was damaged beyond repair and Air-Walker’s consciousness was transferred into the Taa III’s (Galactus’ world-ship) computers where he served as the ship’s AI until it’s destruction by the Ultimate Nullifier. Somehow he survived yet again, only to be hunted down and destroyed by Ravenous’ Seekers. Given how often he’s been dead before, I expect we haven’t seen the last of him.

Unlike most of the other Heralds, Air-Walker was higher on cosmically enhanced senses than raw power, likely the weakest of the known Heralds. At least, that’s the case for the Air-Walker android, and that’s the only version we’ve seen in action on panel. It’s questionable whether Air-Walker the robot continues to count as a sentient being, or simply a complex machine.

As mentioned, Xandarian Nova Corp member Pyreus Kril was determined to find his friend and captain Gabriel Lan after the later’s abduction fro the bridge of the Way-Opener. Disobeying the Corp, Kril and he remaining crew went on a quest to reclaim their captain. It was well after Lan’s death and even his robot duplicate’s deactivation the Way Opener caught up with Galactus. Big G offered to tell Kril what happened to their mutual friend if he agreed to be his new Herald. Agreeing, Kril is reborn as Firelord, but despite serving faithfully, Firelord proves a poor substitute for Air-Walker as far as Galactus is concerned. So when Firelord asks for his freedom, Galactus agrees as long as FL can find a replacement. With aide from Thor, Firelord provides the World Devourer with the Asgardian Destroyer to serve as a Herald and is released from his service. Firelord begins a life of wandering the universe looking for adventure and the opportunity to help others. From hunting down the space Pirate Nebula to opposing Thanos’ universe domination, Firelord kept himself busy. After the first death of Morg, Firelord agreed to temporarily serve again as Galactus’ Herald again. But soon Firelord was back to his heroic wanderings.

The events of Annihilation helped refocus Firelord, as he defends himself and his fellow Heralds from the Seekers then helping ensure defeat of the Wave’s forces. Now he hunts down and destroys every remnant of Annihilus’ forces.

Firelord is hard to place on the Herald power scale. On the one hand, he’s been shown manipulating cosmic energies on a level only the Surfer could match. On the other, Firelord was once knocked out cold by an unenhanced Spider-Man in a one-on-one confrontation. Like most Heralds FL uses a focus for his powers, in his case a staff. He also holds the distinction of being the Herald who served the least amount of time in Galactus’ service without being killed, fired, or depowered. Or stolen, as the Destroyer was when Odin decided he needed it back.

Not surprised to hear disappointment about Galactus and indifference about Morg, but I'm really, really surprised to hear that there are people here who not only don't CARE about Terrax and Nova -- two pretty major characters from Marvel lore -- but don't even know who they ARE. Granted, I didn't realize until now that Nova was killed shortly after I read about her adventures in Silver Surfer, but she has a direct connection to the Fantastic Four, and Terrax has fought EVERYBODY and still pops up pretty frequently. Plus, they have great costumes. I hope the set does well at TRU. And while I'm actually not an Airwalker or Firelord fan, those will be some good-looking 'mates when we inevitably get to them.

I know of Nova and Terrax. . .but probably only because I'm such a fan of the Byrne-era FF stuff. I had never encountered Morg in the comics that I can recall.

As for complaints about Galactus, what are you gonna do? We have a larger figure for those who want it and can spend the money. I think most of us are very happy to be getting that figure, though, and recognize it for the cool little bastard that it is (not unlike mini-Sentinel).

Edited by karamazov80

Morg... looking back on my Silver Surfer issues to put together his bio, I almost have to think that he was one dimensional on purpose. As if he were designed to be a parady of the hyper-violent characters that were becoming more and more popular. And he must have been popular at the time, he's the only Herald Galactus is shown completely raising from the dead instead of moving on to another new Herald, a decision so out of character for Big G that smacked of being sales driven. He is very much a product of his time.

I voted for the four other Heralds just because I like their designs better and had a stronger connection to them. Since Zach says they are trying to get Lan and Kril out too, I could re-enact the 5 on 1 battle with Morg. All in all, a good thing.

... it's incredibly refreshing to see a box set full of new characters.

AMEN!

This is one of the best box-sets in ages. I am really stoked about getting so many new characters as 2" minimates.

The only niggle i have is that i kinda wish Galactus' skirt (yeah, i called it a skirt!) was a separate piece. Kinda like the Doom skirt. That way the arm holes wouldn't continue all the way down. Apart from that, this is exactly how i wanted to see the set turn out. I couldn't be much happier :)