UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wanted a new DD for ages but I so wanted him to be ....y'know..... right & I just know that he'll be a red plastic blank with DD in black on his chest . He's got to be one of he simplest (cheapest) characters to produce so I implore DST to put some effort into him

I'm sure he'll be more than a red blank with a tampo. He'll probably have at least the same level of detail as the Spidey shown, with muscle definition on the legs, shadowing on the face and chest, and probably two tones of red. More rather than less detail is the direction DST has been going for a while, and I can't imagine them reversing that on one of the key characters in this wave. This Daredevil should be an easy one to knock out of the park.

Jonah was the Sin-Eater's last target, and ironically one of the better know characters we think we might have possibly identified, maybe. (should I have added more qualifiers in that sentence?) Yeah Robbie moved the plot along more, as usual, but odds are that's JJJ. Betty or Aunt May... hard call. Aunt May's connection to the mugging helped drive the emotion of the narrative, (geez, writing class terms rearing their ugly head) but both were about equally important to the story. As with Jameson, I think Aunt May being much better known tips the scale in her favor.

Over being gob-smacked confused, moving into downright giddy excited. Deadly Foes of Spider-Man next Spidey wave, please.

Ok, so this is now the fifth time in recent waves where I have either completed or started a custom, only to have DST announce an official version:

Red DareDevil

Custom completed: 9/13/2011

Formal announcment from DST: PENDING (assumed 10/3/2011)

Beta Ray Bill

Custom started (face sculpt): 4/16/2011

Formal annoucement from DST: TRU Wave 12 - 4/21/2011

Thunderstrike

Custom completed: 5/29/2011

Formal announcement from DST: Wave 42 - 7/21/2011 (SDCC)

Classic White Tiger

Custom completed: 9/10/2010

Unofficial announcement from DSTChuck: Wave 38 - 10/22/2010

Modern Iron Fist

Custom completed: 9/19/2010

I had previously planned on Squirrel Girl for my next custom, but that slot is now open to the highest bidder! :tongue:

You need to make Kang and fast. And Gideon. :whistling:

I have wanted a new DD for ages but I so wanted him to be ....y'know..... right & I just know that he'll be a red plastic blank with DD in black on his chest . He's got to be one of he simplest (cheapest) characters to produce so I implore DST to put some effort into him

I'm sure he'll be more than a red blank with a tampo. He'll probably have at least the same level of detail as the Spidey shown, with muscle definition on the legs, shadowing on the face and chest, and probably two tones of red. More rather than less detail is the direction DST has been going for a while, and I can't imagine them reversing that on one of the key characters in this wave. This Daredevil should be an easy one to knock out of the park.

I love your level of optimism here, and I hope you're right. Youbastard's DD is simply amazing, and if we got a red DD even close, I'd be happy. I'm definitely hoping for two tones of red.

One of Zach's hints about this wave was that one character is someone we never thought we'd see, and after Sentinels, Galactus, and MODOK, I have to say that the ONLY character I can think of that I never thought we'd see is Aunt May. If TRU13 doesn't share any figures... awesome. Here's hoping Flash Thompson Venom and Rhino show up there.

And I have to say I'm a little surprised so many have expressed an interest in a Cop being slotted for the Marvel line. I'm pretty happy happy with the MAX cops.

Ok, so this is now the fifth time in recent waves where I have either completed or started a custom, only to have DST announce an official version:

Red DareDevil

Custom completed: 9/13/2011

Formal announcment from DST: PENDING (assumed 10/3/2011)

Beta Ray Bill

Custom started (face sculpt): 4/16/2011

Formal annoucement from DST: TRU Wave 12 - 4/21/2011

Thunderstrike

Custom completed: 5/29/2011

Formal announcement from DST: Wave 42 - 7/21/2011 (SDCC)

Classic White Tiger

Custom completed: 9/10/2010

Modern Iron Fist

Custom completed: 9/19/2010

I had previously planned on Squirrel Girl for my next custom, but that slot is now open to the highest bidder! :tongue:

I think alot of us customizers have had this happen thats why i have more or less given up on main stream marvel characters for customs

And I have to say I'm a little surprised so many have expressed an interest in a Cop being slotted for the Marvel line. I'm pretty happy happy with the MAX cops.

Count me amongst those who SERIOUSLY do NOT want a generic cop in the Marvel line. TOTAL waste of a space that could be used for a Marvel Character. If it is a generic NY Cop . . . <_<

Man, where the hell was I yesterday?! I totally missed this. :blush:

Anyway, here's the Wikipedia page on the Death of Jean DeWolff. From this, I'd say that Betty and Robbie are more likely then May and Jonah, because of the larger role they play in the story. Civie Matt Murdock and Peter Parker also seem like possibilities. Of course, I've made quick customs of May, Jonah, Matt, and Petey, so I don't really want any of them made. Want your own Aunt May? It's easy! Get a Pet Shop Adrian (from the Rocky series), add one BSG Doc Cottle head; add one GB Library Ghost hairpiece (painted white) and there you go. Oh, and any Scott Summers head works just fine as a Matt Murdock head.

So, if this is the wave, and we are going to get a new Black Spidey (a bit of a !@#$ for all of us that paid top prices for the original variant), new Daredevil, Shield Agent and Sin-Eater, that's not bad. It wouldn't have been my choice (and when Chuck teased that we'd be getting a Shield Agent via an old Spidey storyline, I wouldn't have guessed this one). Sin-Eater would probably be the most obscure Marvel Minimate of all... unless Jean DeWolff is in the wave. Anyway, I'm all for it, IF we are going to start seeing more waves and box sets based on old storylines. The mind reels at the possibilities.

BTW, am I crazy, or didn't Eddie Brock first appear in this story? Or was that the follow-up?

Follow up. I think. (been a long time since I read it) They tied Brock back to the story by having Eddie covering the story for a rival paper and had him write a series of articles based on the ravings of a guy who falsely confessed to the murders. Though the confessor wasn't making his story up out of whole cloth, he lived in the apartment next to the real Sin-Eater, and base his confession on what he heard through the shared wall. So remember kids, if you decide to become a murderous serial killer, and live in an apartment, skip the loud ranting or the neighbors will hear you. Now I think they put Eddie retroactively in the story, but my memory wants to say that the idea of a false confessor was in the original tale. See, now I gotta go find where that box is in the attic and go check, darn it.

Anyway, I'm all for it, IF we are going to start seeing more waves and box sets based on old storylines. The mind reels at the possibilities.

I agree and was thinking about this too. This could be a great way for DST to revitalize the LCS series. Focus the LCS waves as specific stories (old and new) where the customer is most likely to have fond memories of an older story or picking up issues of a current story, and then use the TRU waves for one-off characters that aren't tied to a specific wave or story.

There is a lot of potential for unlikely characters this way.

Did anybody think of Sgt. Tork being the guy on the far left? But that guy needs to be the army builder, right? Regarding the revolver I stick with those guys thinking it's a NYPD guy. Looks like he's wearing a jacket - see the collar? - which seems like another thing ruling out an SHILED agent. Mayby if he's one of those old school New York City cops he could be cool.

Anyway, I really hope JJJ or Robbie will come with a Daily Bugle AND a coffee mug! (I'd army build just for the mugs!)

Follow up. I think. (been a long time since I read it) They tied Brock back to the story by having Eddie covering the story for a rival paper and had him write a series of articles based on the ravings of a guy who falsely confessed to the murders. Though the confessor wasn't making his story up out of whole cloth, he lived in the apartment next to the real Sin-Eater, and base his confession on what he heard through the shared wall. So remember kids, if you decide to become a murderous serial killer, and live in an apartment, skip the loud ranting or the neighbors will hear you. Now I think they put Eddie retroactively in the story, but my memory wants to say that the idea of a false confessor was in the original tale. See, now I gotta go find where that box is in the attic and go check, darn it.

That's what I remembered; he first appeared in "the Return of the Sin-Eater" (or something like that) by PAD. I'm 95% sure that he was in the story; I know that in ASM #300, Peter recognizes him, and we the reader are expected to as well. But I think it was just a throwaway cameo, and David Michelinie (one of comics' more underrated writers, IMHO), decided that he'd make a basis for this new Venom character, since he had an axe to grind with both Peter and Spidey. Anyway, I think an Eddie Brock Minimate might be a possibility.

Anyway, I'm all for it, IF we are going to start seeing more waves and box sets based on old storylines. The mind reels at the possibilities.

I agree and was thinking about this too. This could be a great way for DST to revitalize the LCS series. Focus the LCS waves as specific stories (old and new) where the customer is most likely to have fond memories of an older story or picking up issues of a current story, and then use the TRU waves for one-off characters that aren't tied to a specific wave or story.

There is a lot of potential for unlikely characters this way.

That's a great idea. DC Direct seems to have had some degree of success with story-specific action figure waves, and I could see this working for Minimates as well. I'd grouse about getting more of the "ten plus club" a lot less if the figures were derived from a certain storyline, and I knew I'd be getting a key minor player. The only drawback (as has happened to DC Direct) is regurgitating the core characters too much can turn off the fan base. But we've already seen this with Minimates, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

That's what I remembered; he first appeared in "the Return of the Sin-Eater" (or something like that) by PAD. I'm 95% sure that he was in the story; I know that in ASM #300, Peter recognizes him, and we the reader are expected to as well. But I think it was just a throwaway cameo, and David Michelinie (one of comics' more underrated writers, IMHO), decided that he'd make a basis for this new Venom character, since he had an axe to grind with both Peter and Spidey. Anyway, I think an Eddie Brock Minimate might be a possibility.

Yeah, that sounds right. Maybe. I know Micheline (who is vastly underrated) is usually created with creating the character of Venom, but since he didn't create one component of the character (the suit) I don't know if he also borrowed the human too. But then, if he only put to pre-existing elements together, why give him the "creator" credit?

Aunt May does look nice. Though I'm afraid this drops our chances of ever getting a Uncle Ben - with Aunt May done, who do you package him with? The burglar who shot him? Peter in his wrestling outfit when he fought Crusher Hogan? Kang?

She looks good, although I think this pretty much kills our chance of getting Uncle Ben to match her. I do have to question Chuck's rationale that some characters won't sell though after they give a slot to an elderly woman. I'm glad to have an Aunt May, but I think a Spidey box set might have been a better spot for her.

I could be wrong, but I thought Michelinie came up with Eddie Brock and talked about it with Peter David while PD was working on the Sin-Eater story, so even if Brock first appeared there, it's still Micheline's concept that was intended to be used later. Anyway, McFarlane gets tossed around a lot as a co-creator, which is BS. I give more credit to Erik Larsen for making Venom visually unique. The important thing, though, is that thanks to work for hire contracts, it doesn't matter and Marvel wins.

There you have it, folks. After 42 waves, Aunt May finally gets her due.

http://marvel.com/news/story/16761/new_marvel_minimates_set_revealed

Yahoooo! That really makes me happy.