UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mighty Marvel musings

Mirymate

I meant Hickman was the news. Although I think Bendis had just said he was wrapping things up before, not that he'd be gone this soon. Whatever, after all the Bendis Avengers hating on here I just thought there'd be more excitement about that than annoyance at Marvel resetting their universe a bit, like they do pretty much every year after the summer event. Hickman's FF run was so good.

The Bendis thing is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, he's leaving the Avengers, but on the other hand is taking on an X-book. I read a lot more X-Men than Avengers. I'm enjoying both Uncanny and WatXM now (although WatXM probably should get canned after AvX- it's a fun book, but made little contextual sense in the beginning and makes increasingly less sense each month- still very fun though- Broo and Kid Gladiator are great) and I'd hate to see those sidelined in favor of a Bendis project, especially one that seems like a deus ex machina, like TTF said.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the latest unconfirmed report had Bendis taking over Uncanny and adjectiveless X-Men, but Aaron continuing on WATXM. And I think it said Gillen was being moved over onto Invincible Iron Man, which is a shame because that's the only Fraction book I've really enjoyed the last few years, but Gillen can be very good too I guess. Unfortunately the rumor had him bringing Greg Land with him :sick:

Bendis... if he had not come in and 1) dump on the existing cast of Avengers in interviews before his first issue came out, 2) wiped away Busiek's well thought out explination of how Wanda's powers worked in favor of John Byrne's, complete with rampent mental instability, 3) killed Hawkeye, I might have been more favorable to his run. But in the first few issues of his relaunch, the first one, he commited what to me is just an unforgivable sin for a major comics writer - he didn't do any of his homework. He used folks like Nefaria and Carnage without finding out what they're current status at the time was suppossed to be, or what their abilities were, or much of anything besides "I want to use them like this" and thus it was. And Marvel "editorial" let him cause he was / is the 800 pound gorilla over there right now. And as a continuity nut, that kind of thing bugs the crap out of me.

Has every story he touched been crap? No. Some have been good, even great at times. But his opening actions and his continuing disdain for research color my views on his Avengers work.

I see any continuity goofs as more of a sin for whoever his editor was, they're the ones that are really supposed to keep track of that stuff. But yeah, I'm pretty clear at this point on why you and some others on here don't like him Miry, that's why I was expecting this to be the party thread! :lol: It's all good though.

Well, that looks pretty crappy overall.

In other news that isn't actually news, I've recently been reading more older comics with Dr. Strange in them. And I think it's safe to say that Doc Strange is one of the greatest Marvel characters of them all. He's such a clueless windbag. :lol: Defenders were such a complete loser team, too. I love them. More Defenders Minimates!!!!

Edited by karamazov80

I see any continuity goofs as more of a sin for whoever his editor was, they're the ones that are really supposed to keep track of that stuff. But yeah, I'm pretty clear at this point on why you and some others on here don't like him Miry, that's why I was expecting this to be the party thread! :lol: It's all good though.

Oh, I place that sin on his editors door as well. It was Tom "the hammer" Beveroot's job to say something, and he didn't. When questioned about it, his answer was to say it wasn't his Job to limit his writer's creativity. And then he quit that mailing list.

Well, that looks pretty crappy overall.

In other news that isn't actually news, I've recently been reading more older comics with Dr. Strange in them. And I think it's safe to say that Doc Strange is one of the greatest Marvel characters of them all. He's such a clueless windbag. :lol: Defenders were such a complete loser team, too. I love them. More Defenders Minimates!!!!

I love to read the older comics and pretend that everything post-1996 (or thereabouts) never happened.

• 4 months later...

So many things I could comment on: AvX, Cyclops, Wasp not dead, Chuck's "death"...

But I'll start with a perennial sore spot- the Beast. So it's Hank's fault the original X-gang are in the present. Apparently Hank ha discovered yet another mutation coming, and does not think he'll survive it, and somehow this is all about teaching old Scott a lesson before Hank gets buried in the back yard. Now we'll ignore the Bendis logic of time travel as lesson teacher, cause I can tell you it won't work, but that's a rant for another day.

Let's talk about the whole "I feel another mutation coming on" thing. Does ANYONE at Marvel remember the whole blue and furry thing is an unnatural overstimulation of Hank's original mutation? And that it's been reversed before? Leaving aside the ridiculous nature of "secondary mutations" for a momment, it's more likely that Hank's been genetically unstable for years now. Consider- Hank had the effects of his original serum purged from his body. Not long after he is infected by Plague with a virus that increased his strength will decreasing his intelligence. This virus interacts with the mutation inducing powers of minor leaguer Infectia to restore both Hank's mind and a more powerful version of his blue furry form. Then in an attemp to "kickstart" his powers further Claremont magufin Sage stimulates his powers again the result was the original cat form. But that wasn't stable, and slowly Hank has reverted more and more to his simian form, with added cat features. So given all that's been done to him, I'm not doubting that Hank may be fatally genetically unstable. But you're saying that the self proclaimed world's best expert on the science of mutation, and Dr. Kavita Rho, who created a serum that purged the mutant gene entirely, cannot engineer a formula based on Carl Maddicks' work to purge the "artificial" elements from Hank's system? Not buying it. Smacks of "because I said so". Which considering the source does not surprise me.

Miry I totally agree with your comments, particularly about Hank. I feel like most writers don't really do their research when writing that character. I wanted to give All New, All Different X-Men a try(although I do feel "Same old X-Men" might be a bit more accurate, but I digress...) I read the first page or two before resorting to just flipping through the rest. I'm not a fan of Bendis' writing, so that's probably most of the reason. I do have to admire his skill to take one of Marvel's more dynamic artists and have him draw nothing but people sitting around talking.

Edited by Glantern

The first Bendis comic I ever read was Alias; my first impression of that comic was that artist Michael Gaydos was pretty terrible. Then I read some other Gaydos comics (Manhunter, maybe), and thought "hey, he's not so bad". And then, of course, I read many, many more Bendis comics and realized that the problem is Bendis. For all the (justifiable) attention his dialog gets, good or bad, people don't seem to notice (or at least talk about) how boring a plotter he is. I suppose, if you're being charitable, you'd call him "cerebral"... but I'm rarely charitable when it comes to talking about Bendis.

Anyway, I haven't read the ANXM (and most likely won't, even with Immonen on the art), but Greg Burgas at Comics Should Be Good had a similar review to yours, Miry. It's probably a comic that will continue to sell so people have something to bitch about.

And here's why meeting the man he was won't change Cyclops one bit... Scott is a selfish jerk. Always has been. The older he's gotten the more and more it's come to the fore. He has always believed his path was the right one. For most of his life, his "love" for Jean defined that path. Jean was a true believer in Xavier and his dream, so Scott worked to be at the for front of that dream and leader of the X-Men. And like many kids who were bullied, he quickly discovered he liked the power being the leader held. And for a long while, he was content with his situation. Then came his complete failure at Krakoa, followed by Thunderbird's death. This shook his confidence in his chosen path, and Jean's "death" left him damaged and ultimately unwilling to fight anymore. Admitting defeat, he found a knew dream,a Jean substitute, married, had a son, and retired. But the defeat gnawed at him. And when Jean turned up alive, he returned to costume, but stopped being a hero.

Yeah I said it.

Scott hasn't been a hero since X-Factor #1.

Heroes don't drop their wife and more importantly their kid and go run off when they hear they might have a shot at with their old girlfriend. Ignore what they eventually retconned Madelyn into, No one, including Scott knew that at the time. And even if he and Maddy were having problems, he still walked out on Christopher. I understand wanting to go to New York when Jean turned up alive, but a real man would have opened his blasted mouth and told Jean about his wife, and more importantly his son, on day one. But he didn't. He pretended to Jean he was still a free man, because that's what he wanted be: Cyclops, leader of the "good" mutants. Not Scott Summers, father. He only took responsibility for his son when Jean shamed him into it. So of course it was easy to send his son into the future, Scott had already abandoned him as inconvenient once a second time was no big loss. Because like Maddy, having him around was not working with his plan.

So he finally marries his "great love" Jean, but that didn't make him happy the way he thought it would. Like a lot of self-centered men I know, the chase was more interesting than the catch. Though Jean was devoted to Scott, even in th face of Logan's continued temptation, but Scott could not say the same. In the end, he he cheats on his second wife as well. And fortunately for him, she too perishes soon after. And then events are retconned to light that cause him to loose faith in Xavier as well. So now a selfish, driven man, who loves to be in power and sleeping with an amoral elitist, finds himself charting his own path again. Sure, his first inclination was to quit in defeat again, like last time. But call it Jean's influence from the future, Emma's encouragement, or simply not wanting to give up the reigns a second time, Scott soldiers on. But without Jean or Charles to guide him, Scott has no moral rudder and becomes more ruthlessly self assured of his own means, toward "protecting" mutant-kind, which just so happens to mean he's the only one who can lead said mutant-kind.

Sure, others, including myself, have tried to justify his "heel turn" in recent years, myself included. But in reality, Scott always been a heel. He just doesn't feel the need to hide it anymore.

I know that your complaints about Scott's betrayal of his family were held by Chris Claremont as well. One of the reasons that he was adamantly against X-Factor, and the return of Jean Grey, is that he'd sent Cyclops off to the sunset with his happy ending. But Jean's return and the launching of X-Factor blew all that up. You're right, it's a heel move that can never be completely rectified (much like Spider-Man selling his soul to the devil). You've gotta wonder about the thinking in the big offices sometimes....

Edited by hellpop

Yeah, I read an article on uncannyxmen.net a few weeks ago that reminded me that CC felt that way. When X-Factor launched, I was a kid fresh outah high school and just thought it was cool the original X-Men were back together. Now, looking back on it, being a father myself, I totally get CC's point. Ironically I read that the same day I read AvX #11, and it just cemented the idea Scott is a selfish bastard.

I other annoying X-Men news - has anyone read the latest Wolverine & the X-Men? So far, it's been a pretty fun romp. I'm enjoying the light-hearted & adventure focused feel of the book.... Right up until the very last page which features a collection of villains including what can only be described as

Lady Mojo... SERIOUSLY?? LADY F*CKING MOJO????? Marvel has produced some dreck characters over the years (I'm looking at you Maggot) but at least they were new characters with their own (ridiculous) powers & (often more ridiculous) looks. Marvels love of making female versions of established male characters is bordering on outright embarrassing. They know this - they've even parodied the idea in Deadpool by creating a 'Lady Stilt Man'. She-Hulk has been around long enough for me to be fine with it & she was one of the first to come along. The idea was still fresh with her. (Or maybe it's just that she was already established by the time i started reading comics and didn't question it) I kind of got the Lady Loki thing too - it was fun and actually made for some enjoyable reading (even if it didn't last long), but when you look at the list, it can seem a bit silly: Lady Loki, Lady Stilt Man, Ms Sinister, X-23, She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Lady Bullseye, Spider Woman I, Spider Woman II, May Parker, Cassandra Lang (Giant/Ant Girl), Kate Bishop (Girl Hawkeye), Galacta (or Girlactus), Namorita, Omega Black, Carmilla Black

(Scorpion), Bride of Venom, Lady Mastermind, Lady Mastermind II etc, etc, etc. . . Don't get me wrong - i don't think every single one of those characters is a total write off & after years in the comics, a lot of them have solid stories behind them and great character development. I just wish marvel was a little more willing to be brave and make completely new characters instead of girl versions of established male characters. It's a real disservice to female readers that instead of some fantastically planned out new female villain we have..... Lady Effing Mojo

[/rant]

Ya forgot

Yellowjacket II, Lady Deadpool, Abominatrix, and a few more I'm sure.

While I hear and understand what you're saying, it also sounds like it could be par for the course, as far as light hearted, almost self-paradying, adventure. If done right. it could be fun... but that can be a really big if some times.

Wolverine and the X-Men is one of the only Xbooks I sneak a peek at when I get chance. I like the anarchy in the book as the studants are being kids as we know them and pushing limits and Wolveine has to go against is main nature for most of the time to keep them in check. As I said only sneek a peek every now and again in the LCS.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few quick thoughts.

DC:

In my opinion, Wonder Woman is the best book DC is publishing. Batman is pretty good. Green Lantern is good. Batwoman is supposed to be really good. I'm a big Superman fan, but I wouldn't recommend what's being published now- neither Superman nor Action Comics. If you're into darker stuff, Animal Man and Swamp Thing are both great.

Marvel:

Avengers. You read what Jonathan Hickman writes. Wolverine and the X-Men is a fun book that shouldn't be passed (and I've come to hate how Wolverine is presented in the Marvel U). All New X-Men seems to be the marquee X-book, and I actually like seeing Cyclops, Magneto, and Magik doing their thing. I enjoy Fantastic Four and FF. Uncanny Avengers is worth reading.

Edited by Turtle

Just a few quick thoughts.

DC:

In my opinion, Wonder Woman is the best book DC is publishing. Batman is pretty good. Green Lantern is good. Batwoman is supposed to be really good. I'm a big Superman fan, but I wouldn't recommend what's being published now- neither Superman nor Action Comics. If you're into darker stuff, Animal Man and Swamp Thing are both great.

Marvel:

Avengers. You read what Jonathan Hickman writes. Wolverine and the X-Men is a fun book that shouldn't be passed (and I've come to hate how Wolverine is presented in the Marvel U). All New X-Men seems to be the marquee X-book, and I actually like seeing Cyclops, Magneto, and Magik doing their thing. I enjoy Fantastic Four and FF. Uncanny Avengers is worth reading.

I've read good things about WW it's just the artwork that turns me off a bit but I'm going to give it a try. I've read some green lantern issues and I quite liked it. As for supes I've heard the worst. Fantastic four,superior Spidey and deadpool are locked for me. I really enjoy space,science stories,superior seems interesting and deadpool is deadpool.

For Marvel, I would totally recommend Hawkeye and Daredevil. Those are two of the greatest books published in the last five to ten years.

As for other less strongs recs, I'd go with Wolverine and the X-Men, Venom, Thunderbolts (maybe, it's a bit slow for my tastes, we'll see what issue 2 brings), Avengers, Young Avengers (because I'm a sucker for that team), and Thor.

It's tough to give good recs right now though because of the NOW! initiative. I'm still in the process of trying out a bunch of books and most of the ones I really dig are ending (I'm looking at you Secret Avengers...)