UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mighty Marvel musings

Mirymate

I'm with you on Bishop. He was never my favorite X-Man because I'm a fan of the other gun-totting time traveller, Cable. I never had a problem with Bishop, he just wasn't my favorite. Then all of a sudden when the baby messiah is born, Bishop loses all sense of reason and, as you correctly descirbed, becomes basically the Terminator. I wouldn't mind if some of that was retconned. Maybe they find out that the real Bishop had been replaced by Bastion or a Nimrod or any other kind of mutant killing force. It just doesn't make sense with it being Bishop. Maybe they could find the real Bishop was being held prisoner in some kind of stasis along with the real Forge. That's another guy who really flew off the handle, man.

Oh and they have confirmed that Sabretooth will come back soon. Wouldn't be surprised if any of the others you mentioned came back with him... all just together in a Winnebago. "Hey Wolverine! We're back from vacation!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Spoiler alert!! If it's going to bug you to know the event of Avengers v4 #19

VISION"S BACK BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently Stark has quietly been trying to reactivate him since Vision went offline, and though Stark couldn't tell anyone what he did (because he honestly doesn't know) he somehow got Vision powered up. Vis's own self repair routines did the rest. For a long time Avengers nut like me, the Vision being unrepairable this time around always smacked of "because I said he couldn't". Sure, he was ripped in half, but Vision had been ripped in half before and healed. Heck, Byrne completely dismanteled him and Vision got better. So it didn't make sense that he could not be fixed this time. Well apparently Bendis and company decided to throw long time readers a synthziod bone and righted that wrong. Maybe to make up for formally putting Ross on the team.

And as you probably know, Thor's dead again; died fighting a different huge Asgardian Serpent than usual. (he just needs to stop trying on those... never ends well for him.) So the team is short a Thunder God. So they've replaced him with a Goddess- Storm. Surprisingly, I find I have no problem with this move. Of the X-Men, I have long thought Storm would have been a good choice to follow Hank in crossing over to the A-squad. Not only her power level, but her personality was always a good fit for the either team. Of course, when I first had that thought, the Avengers still had their "no killing" policy, and there wasn't even a West Coast squad yet, let alone the four different teams we have now. I mean, if Bendis had brouth Storm on to the team instead of Wolverine (who I never liked as an Avenger) to begin with, I might have thought more highly of him as a writer. But Wolverine sells comics, so Wolverine becomes an Avenger and the team itself changes tone so he doesn't look out of place rather than Logan stepping up and trying to meet the team's formal ideal. But that's another rant entirely. But back on point, Storm is a much better choice a as a "crossover" member, and having her on the team increases the chances her husband T'Challa (with whom she shares the strangest marriage arrangement this side of Gil and Sarah) will be around more too.

With the return of the classic Vision, do you think that it's likely that Vision 2.0 from the Young Avengers will be killed when they finally finish up their current mini-series?

And any thoughts on the events in today's Fantastic Four #600?

Coin flip on Vision 2.0. If Young Avengers had enough sales to have kept their book going, I'd say they'd leave him alive with a name and costume change. (maybe going with somthing more "white Vision" in design. As it stands... like the team itself, it could go either way on whether he's still around.

With Thanksgiving being at my house this year, I will not have time to make it to the store till sometime next week. Feel free to spoil away... I'm not a person who minds it.

Well, in Fantastic Four #600:

Johnny Storm is revealed to be alive and kicking.

Yeah, it's not much of a surprise. Marvel was never going to leave him dead for long.

No surprise there.

We never saw a body. Doom has had more convincing 'deaths' and been back the very next issue. In the context of Marvel as a whole, I'm surprised they assumed he was really dead. And if I were Sue, I'd be ticked at Reed. Ben dies they storm the gates of heavan to retreive him. Johnny dies and him, him we can leave dead. Guess Torch was that much more annoying.

at least we didn't get

some sort of female human torch as a replacement.

:wacko:

They've tried that too... twice. One went cosmic, one went boom. Both are dead now.

Well, in Fantastic Four #600:

Johnny Storm is revealed to be alive and kicking.

Yeah, it's not much of a surprise. Marvel was never going to leave him dead for long.

No surprise there.

We never saw a body. Doom has had more convincing 'deaths' and been back the very next issue. In the context of Marvel as a whole, I'm surprised they assumed he was really dead. And if I were Sue, I'd be ticked at Reed. Ben dies they storm the gates of heavan to retreive him. Johnny dies and him, him we can leave dead. Guess Torch was that much more annoying.

at least we didn't get

some sort of female human torch as a replacement.

:wacko:

They've tried that too... twice. One went cosmic, one went boom. Both are dead now.

Or are they . . . :P

Or are they . . . :P

I've been impressed with Marvel's restraint in not bringing back the female included in the last TRU boxed set. She's stayed dead almost 20 years now. The second was more recent, a member of the recent Invaders revival and went boom as the series ended. The former could/should be back any day now, the later... I doubt anyone is clamoring to bring her back.

so Wolverine becomes an Avenger and the team itself changes tone so he doesn't look out of place rather than Logan stepping up and trying to meet the team's formal ideal.

I thought Cap made Wolverine promise not to kill on any Avengers missions, way back when he offered him the job, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I've been impressed with Marvel's restraint in not bringing back the female included in the last TRU boxed set. She's stayed dead almost 20 years now.

You should check out Kathryn Immonen's miniseries Heralds, from last year, Miry. The plot was pretty confusing, but Nova kinda sorta came back in that.

Edited by battlecat

I thought Cap made Wolverine promise not to kill on any Avengers missions, way back when he offered him the job, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I remember he and Tony recruiting him to help them get to the bottom of the conspiracy that caused the Raft Breakout because of Logan's black ops experience. You may be right... there's a half memory of Cap asking Logan to restrain himself while on the team, or something like that. But before long Wolverine is slashing away at Hand ninjas with his usual abandon, assaulting women in the shower, and generally being his usual self. Or at least, his usual self circa late 90's when with the X-Men. He was not as violent when around the Avengers as he was with his usual team, and certainly not X-Force or solo levels. But with Cap's "death", Cage's Avengers became attitudinally more like Wolverine in general than the old pre-Disassembled Avengers.

Ironically, I don't think the actual underlying conspiracy issue has ever been completely explained. Some of it was pushed off on the Skrulls, but like a Claremont run on an X-Title I don't think all the dangling plot lines were ever explained.

You should check out Kathryn Immonen's miniseries Heralds, from last year, Miry. The plot was pretty confusing, but Nova kinda sorta came back in that.

That was a mess is what that was. Something to do with Frankie's old magic clothes and possessing people. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Why exactly are they going to fight? The main Avenger who wants Wanda dead is also an X-Man. The Dark Phoenix was eating planets and the Avengers didn't show up at the mansion demanding she be surrendered to the Shi'ar. So aside from Scott becoming more and more of a dick... why? Is this all the various X-Teams untied again, or is Wolverine's bunch still against Cyclops' island?

Lord have mercy... don't you folks have some villains to fight? Or have you killed them all off so you can look cool and are turning on each other?

And will gladly turn to "young" Mr. BHM to answer your question, storm.

Young BHM, Professor M(iry) has chosen you. You will be graded by the Professor so do your best! :thumbsup:

So yeah, Phoenix is coming to Earth and it seems like everyone is assuming Hope is the new host that the Phoenix wants. Cap wants Hope to save the world or something. Cyclops probably won't let her go since it's a mutant thing.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2011-12-06/marvel-comics-avengers-x-men/51672784/1

Not really sure how Wolverine's X-team is involved but Wolverine will probably want to kill the Scarlet Witch and Avengers say no. And not exactly sure, but does Wolverine even care for Hope? If not, probably wants to kill her too. Again, another battle for Hope and another battle between heroes. What I personally think is Wanda is going to be the new Phoenix host. She went crazy and now seems sane. So she becomes the host and can probably control it or something but in the end can't and Hope kills her. She saves the day as prophesied or whatever. Cyclops dies somewhere and Wolverine leads the X-Men and eventually gets together with Emma Frost. Not a rant against Marvel as I love them. Just meant in jest. :tongue:

And Bendis leaving all 3 Avengers titles (Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Assemble) by end of 2012.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35772

And not only will 2012 will be a particularly big year for Marvel's top-billed super team, it will also mark Bendis' last year working on the Avengers titles. The writer began crafting the adventures of Earth's Mightiest Heroes in 2004, and after eight years, he's finally ready to bring his run to an end.

"I'm going to wrap up 'Avengers' and 'New Avengers.' At the same time the first storyline of 'Avengers Assemble' will be done," Bendis told CBR. "It's a good time to move on to other things. Before I go, though, I'm ending things big. I'm in countdown mode. You know when you're watching a show like 'Breaking Bad,' and every episode feels like the second to last episode? That's where I'm at. I've been on the Avengers longer than anybody in the history of the book. When you take everything into account, I've written over 200 issues. I'm very, very proud of that, and what we have coming up this summer gives me the opportunity to go out on a high note. I know enough about showbiz to know that's a great time to go."

And Bendis leaving all 3 Avengers titles (Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Assemble) by end of 2012.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35772

And not only will 2012 will be a particularly big year for Marvel's top-billed super team, it will also mark Bendis' last year working on the Avengers titles. The writer began crafting the adventures of Earth's Mightiest Heroes in 2004, and after eight years, he's finally ready to bring his run to an end.

"I'm going to wrap up 'Avengers' and 'New Avengers.' At the same time the first storyline of 'Avengers Assemble' will be done," Bendis told CBR. "It's a good time to move on to other things. Before I go, though, I'm ending things big. I'm in countdown mode. You know when you're watching a show like 'Breaking Bad,' and every episode feels like the second to last episode? That's where I'm at. I've been on the Avengers longer than anybody in the history of the book. When you take everything into account, I've written over 200 issues. I'm very, very proud of that, and what we have coming up this summer gives me the opportunity to go out on a high note. I know enough about showbiz to know that's a great time to go."

:banana:

Seriously, I know that Bendis' Avengers have been really successful, have reinvigorated the brand and redefined the team, but he's redefined them into something I don't particularly like. I feel like now, finally, we might have the Avengers back.

My choice for taking over the Avengers would be Jeff Parker, who did wonderful things on the all-ages book, and is (IMHO) the best writer at Marvel these days.

I would like to we Dan Slott take another stab at the team.

Oh and this made me chuckle...

Avengers writer Brian Michael Bendis was quick to compare the upcoming event to Civil War in that the reader will have the opportunity to choose between the two sides, and that one of the two groups will ultimately lose.

There's never been an Avengers vs. X-Men story. blahddy,blahddy,blahddy

I won't tell him if you don't.:rolleyes:

25210-3867-28027-1-x-men-vs-the-avenge_super.jpg

And still waiting for Mr. Beavis to answer the question he so enthusiastically volunteered for.

Edited by Mirymate

I would like to we Dan Slott take another stab at the team.

Oh and this made me chuckle...

Avengers writer Brian Michael Bendis was quick to compare the upcoming event to Civil War in that the reader will have the opportunity to choose between the two sides, and that one of the two groups will ultimately lose.

There's never been an Avengers vs. X-Men story. blahddy,blahddy,blahddy

I won't tell him if you don't.:rolleyes:

25210-3867-28027-1-x-men-vs-the-avenge_super.jpg

And still waiting for Mr. Beavis to answer the question he so enthusiastically volunteered for.

as i read that press release, i took out that comic and wondered if it was a typo :P

Edited by undeadpool

I'm not current with up and coming talent. But I have always wanted to see what Peter David could do with the Avengers. His run on the Hulk is on of my all time favorite comic runs. I also can't recall Peter working on a team book before.

as i read that press release, i took out that comic and wondered if it was a typo :P

Bendis is famous for his lack of research. More than anything else about him as a writer, this drives me crazy. When he was charting his own course over in Ultimate Spider-Man, it didn't matter. But as soon as he wrote the line "There's no such thing as Chaos Magic!" in Disassembled, I knew we were in trouble. And it's frustrating, because he has had good ideas that if he would just so much as check a wiki, or heavan forbid dig through a few long boxes, could have been great.

I'm not current with up and coming talent. But I have always wanted to see what Peter David could do with the Avengers. His run on the Hulk is on of my all time favorite comic runs. I also can't recall Peter working on a team book before.

X-Factor.

And it was/is gloriously quirky. PAD is best when he can write off-beat characters. That said, I'd love to see him take a stab at one of the A-teams. Maybe the Academy book.

Bendis is famous for his lack of research. More than anything else about him as a writer, this drives me crazy. When he was charting his own course over in Ultimate Spider-Man, it didn't matter. But as soon as he wrote the line "There's no such thing as Chaos Magic!" in Disassembled, I knew we were in trouble. And it's frustrating, because he has had good ideas that if he would just so much as check a wiki, or heavan forbid dig through a few long boxes, could have been great.

That's probably my biggest complaint about him too. It's not just that he doesn't research facts, but he writes the characters how he wants them, regardless of whether or not their behaviors and actions jibe with their established personalities. I'm not a huge continuity wonk, but it does bug me when a writer (or artist) doesn't respect the characters (and the work of those that have gone before him or her). But that's symptomatic of both Marvel and DC these days, not just Bendis. He's probably the worst offender, though.

I just think he's a really bad fit for a book like the Avengers. The fact that he's written them for so long, and so successfully, doesn't change my opinion at all. :angry:

Dan Slott would be a fine choice. I fondly recall that sequence in She-Hulk when a time-travelling Shulkie told Hawkeye and the Wasp not to sleep with each other so that the whole stupid Disassembled never would have happened. What do you think of Parker, Miry? You an Agents of Atlas fan?

Edited by hellpop