UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 37 Spidey/lizard, profx/warpath, thing/doombot

Overall I like this wave. I still prefer my latest custom of Warpath over this one though. Also I think the reason that I don't care for Thing is because there is no rock looking detail on his face. It looks odd without it. I do love all the bulk that they have added to Thing. I think it looks great on him. Now give us a new Hulk and a new Juggernaught!

Do you have a picture posted anywhere of your Warpath?

If he doesn't, I can get one sometime...

Nice to see you still around here Crippler!

Actually I tweaked the face a tad and made another for me. I will post a pick later tonite. I just couldnt give them up completely and have bought a few sets here and there.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually in the middle of a Prof. X hoverchair custom when this wave was announced. I stopped midway to see if they went with the suit or the safari jacket. I'm hoping they give us a two-fer here as well. If not, the torso from a BSG Galen Tyrol will work pretty well for a quick custom.

i finished mine hours before they announced wave 37!

i doubt we'll ever agree on the Thing thing... with the Lizard though, its put me in a bad mood all evening (that may seem silly to some, but minimates mean a lot to me!). He has pretty much the last of Spidey's major foes for us to receive, which was a little frustrating, but my thinking was 'ok, yeah... he'll require quite a few unique pieces, so i'm happy to wait to receive him' ... safe in the knowledge that when we did, it'd be awesome. A standard head, for the Lizard? chances are we'll not get another Lizard minimate, perhaps ever... its an incredible shame (to me, anyway)

The wave looks OK, not outstanding, but OK. Servo Guard looks to be the best of the bunch with both Things on the other end of the spectrum :yucky: . The only thing on I can see on them that distinguishes them as minimates are the knee joints. Bad move DST on the sculpting overkill. The last two Things you guys produced were moving in the wrong creative direction (bulky head caps) and these two new ones are obviously the end result of continuing down that dark path. It's a shame you guys don't ask us (your main consumers) what we'd like to see in an updated version of any character. I can assure you that an entirely scuplted minimate was not at the top of any of our ideas for improvements. IMO the first two Things you guys created were spot on.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I may well get multiples of ol' Xav purely to create my own personal bumper car/dodgem diorama* . It always bothered me how someone as gifted as Prof.X couldn't come up with something better than a hover-chair !! I had lost interest in the X-Men during that period but Magneto must have laughed his bollocks off when he saw that hover-chair for the first time ...... "Good evening Charles....would you like to go for a spin?"

* not available outside of the UK.

.....we'll not get another Lizard minimate, perhaps ever... its an incredible shame (to me, anyway)

You're not alone. OK maybe not the full BB route but some sort of snout would be welcome.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Wow. I really like the look of this wave. I really want both Things suprisingly, and am totally in favor of sculpted parts. Guessing his face tampo was placed over rock detail though; Trenchcoat Thing has it after all. I'm happy with the Servo-guards, but this is another case where i only need two, a la Krees. Warpath looks MUCH better than expected, and i really like the hairpiece sculpted for him. Not mad to have to get him anymore; brin on more obscure X-forcers, please!!! And Spidey...VERY happy it's six-arm, and that it's interchangeable...but does nothing for me really. Lizard looks awesome, even though i'm not a fan of Curt, so i'm happy for you all that wanted him. I'm positive he'll have a Lizard-head packaged in, and maybe a Dr. Conners head...maybe...

But Prof X. This i LOVE. I was a huge advocate for Prof X in his 90s look; i cold care less about Jubilee, i could care less about Bishop, but Prof X makes the team complete for me. I can't understand the hate on him though. If i'm remembering correctly, wasn't that his most-drawn look?? I know the Safari Jacket is much more popular, hell i love the jacket because it's so differentand really fits with the 90s, but every picture i look at online has that muted green suit. I for one like it and i like how accurate it is...guess it's just me.

Loving the wave, and can't wait to buy it.

Lizard is a let down. After seeing the aligator Battle Beast mate I thought for sure we'd get a sculped Lizard. Thing looks great but yeah I dont think thats the final product. Strange they gave him fingers. I thought they only did that in cases like Thanos where the fingers are important to the character. The variant is awesome. Guess a bulked up Hulk isnt too far off now. Prof. X is pretty cool. Im shocked were getting another Warpath already. Looking forward to that Doombot. Gotta get Six Armed Spidey just because I have most of the others theyve done over the years.

Warpath looks ok - i wish they'd kept him a little more in-line with X-23 & Wolverine (ie: no sculpting on the belt), but it's a minor quibble.

The Servo Guard looks awesome! I'm glad we're getting this rather than a 'Doom-Bot'.

Xavier - I'm very much hoping that his Suit can be removed to reveal a printed Safari-suit on the chest block.

Six-Armed Spiderman - means we may se a Spiral. . . F*%& YEAH!

Thing. . . lucky it comes with Servo-Guard or i might skip it completely. I don't 'hate' it, but i'll only be getting it as some kind of 'completionist'-compulsion.

Lizard - i might be on my own here. . . but i really like him. I thought i would want a sculpted head, but i seriously don't mind the painted head.

Edited by Nessex

I am a little dissapointed he won't have a slip on mask but I always knew I was in the minority of people who prefered it if Spidey has one.

couldn't agree more... it doesn't make spidey look too big or whatever has been suggested... with his head a little larger, the body itself looks smaller and more slender, perfect for spidey.

What's usually suggested isn't that a slip-on mask makes Spidey look too big, but that it makes his head look too big for his body -- basically the exact same thing that you like about it, which is fair enough. But I still hate slip-on masked Spideys :)

Whoo, don't care for the Warpath since I don't know him, Prof X looks great. Six armed Spidey is nice, I hope it comes with a spider monster head. Here's hoping for a Doppelganger and Spiral in the future. Thing looks really nice and paves the way for a good Juggernaught and Hulk. Servo-bot looks nice even though I don't really know anything about them. The variant also looks good. Lizard is disappointing.

p.s. Anyone else "amused" that the thing gets moulded glasses but Jubes didnt?

Yes . . . i am greaty, greatly . . . .'amused'. <_<

Magneto must have laughed his bollocks off when he saw that hover-chair for the first time ...... "Good evening Charles....would you like to go for a spin?"

Bahha ha ha ha. Total win!

I will get them up for pre-order this evening - individual packs, cases, and FULL WAVES. :)

WOOT! That is seriously exciting news!

Edited by Nessex

It's funny how some people are bitching about the sculpting that has been added to minimates and that it just looks terrible with this new Thing mate, yet people are also upset that the Lizard has a regular head and not a sculpted one.

I am sure DST reads what we post on here as evident from the occasional post from DST employees. They can't make everyone happy since we all have different opinions. I am just happy that we are looking at wave 37. I don't think their is another toy line that has had this many waves of figures released. Be happy for what we have and complain about the real problems like the lack of QC of certain minimates like the latest Spidey box set.

I am a little dissapointed he won't have a slip on mask but I always knew I was in the minority of people who prefered it if Spidey has one.

couldn't agree more... it doesn't make spidey look too big or whatever has been suggested... with his head a little larger, the body itself looks smaller and more slender, perfect for spidey.

What's usually suggested isn't that a slip-on mask makes Spidey look too big, but that it makes his head look too big for his body -- basically the exact same thing that you like about it, which is fair enough. But I still hate slip-on masked Spideys :)

fair enough battlecat, each to their own n' that... and i'm v.pleased both sets of fans have recent releases in their preferred look. i can understand the anti-slip on mask brigade, honest... but my reason for is, other than the already stated reason, just having had a look at my shelves, i can't see any realises in a v.v.long time that just use the basic head these days, in that... everyone has a hairpiece, helmet or slip-on mask.... so, it fits in well.

EDIT - Klaw and Iceman appear to be the exceptions!

Edited by bobafett

I rather like the two the Things, I've been saying since Iron Monger "why can't they do this for the Hulk" and well, they did it for the Thing, but the Thing seems to be the "gateway" minimate for these sort of things (he got a powerhouse torso long before Hulk, and "Hulk Hands" long before Hulk, might as well continue the tradition and let him be the first "Hulked up" 2 inch miniate)... I hope he comes with a pair of "classic" thing fist though, I don't much like open hands.

I hope Gamma Hulk in TRU wave 7 is built this way... but I doubt it, gonna have to wait a little longer until the Hulk Buster has a Hulk to Bust, it also means we can expect ANOTHER Gamma Hulk in a few waves with this new bulking technology.

Wow, this news sure exploded fast.

Let's look at the positives here...

Hooray! The perfect trenchcoat sculpt for a new-and-improved Rorschach custom! :lol:

(Just kidding. This is an okay wave for me. Xavier's hoverchair does look like it can come apart/get reassembled easily. And this Thing debate could probably rage on for decades.)

As much as Spiral seems to be the topic of six-armed discussion, I'm hoping for a Man-Spider to come from this. I'd bet dollars to donuts that we'd see Man-Spider before a Spiral. I'm not sure how that currency conversion works, but my old boss used to say it and it just seemed to fit.

Let's look at the positives here...

Hooray! The perfect trenchcoat sculpt for a new-and-improved Rorschach custom! :lol:

I was thinking it was the perfect trenchcoat for a different DC character-The Flash (I'm staking claim to that photo-op as soon as I get this wave).

Edited by groundhog7s

Looking more closely at the pic, those aren't sculpted arms on Thing, at least on the non-trench version. Look at the joint on the left arm, you can see that they are slip over pieces. Maybe everyone knows this already and I'm just looking silly pointing it out, but I thought I'd, you know, point it out.

BS

I wanted to point out that they've done away with Spidey's sliopcover, something we mostly all wanted. They've FINALLY bulked up the arms to go with the legs, so instead of saying how ugly it is why don't we thank them for CLEARLY listinening to our suggestions. And, for haters on sculpted parts, Lizard looks great. Way more old school minimate.

I'll probably buy the Thing pack out of this wave. I think he looks pretty sweet and I'm glad that they are adding some size diversity in characters. Hopefully I can find someone who want's to trade a Skrull for my Doombot as I'm not a big fan of that particular little guy.

I wonder if DST QC are gearing themselves up for the deluge of complaints that they'll have about Kurt Connor's right arm being missing in every pack? That 'armless comment leads me nicely into the reason I initially didn't gel with the 6 armed Spidey . The reason was that in the picture his flesh arms aren't accompanied by flesh ball-joints which totally wrecks the whole concept. The Thing's arms are ,as blacksun1520 confirms, slip-ons & are IMO the compromise that we'll have to accept if we are ever to get an accurate Hulk. Luke's recent campaign to get DST to listen must be totally applauded ....well done Luke :D ....but there have been many of us saying the same for months . That's not a dig at Luke (no way ) but a confirmation that DST listen to the grumbles here........belatedly. As for grumbling ,Crippler rightly points out that there are some grumblers here & if I'm not wearing King Grumbler's crown I'm sure as hell after it :D ....I can't be sure of everybody else but all I know is that I whether I moan or not I still support the line & I love some of the innovations & loathe others......I think Chuck is even on record as "not liking duck feet" !

The real reason for wanting to revise my initial reaction to the pictures is that I was overly-influenced by my personal disappointment of the Lizard ...I still am & I'm even more confused now about the uniformity ,or not, of Minimates in general. I don't 'hate' the Lizard but WTF what an opportunity missed ! I could elaborate but that wouldn't really keep this topic rolling .....or should I now say hovering ...the right way .