UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Wars Box Set

drgnrbrn316

I really like the Beyonder - he'll fit right in with the rest of my Saturday Night Fever 'Mates. . . now i just need to customize my self a Barry Gibbs Minimate. LOL!

(Spidey was the turd of the group for me)

Edited by Nessex

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I got these in hand, I actually liked Spidey quite a bit. I knew from the get-go that he would be a nice figure though. My issue was more with whether another Spidey was needed, no matter how nice. The surprise hit for me has really been Doctor Doom, though. The nod to the old figure is very nifty, and I'm finding myself liking him more than either of the previous Doc Doom releases.

"Pulsar" is obviously the reason to buy the set, and is very nice. So ultimately, I'm gonna have to agree with handsome that Beyonder is the stinker of the set, relatively speaking. He is pretty generic and uninteresting looking, and he is from the wrong mini-series. I think the real saving grace for him though is the face. He's got a great, menacing and powerful looking facial expression. But he's still the worst of the bunch IMO.

And one other thing I found out--"Back in Black" Spidey looks way better with the slip-over mask from this set than the one he came with, in my opinion. They eyes just seem better spaced out and shaped somehow, making him look a bit more like the original black Spidey variant, despite the extra size of the slip-over sheath.

post-1827-1261368804_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comparison pics, hulk197. But I do have a question... where did you find a SW Doom with the paint details still on the chest and a silver nose? 'Cause mine, it don't look that good no more. Your Iron Man still has a yellow unibeam, and Cap still has his tummy stripes too huh?

About 5 or 6 years ago, I picked up all the US released Secret Wars Figures. All of them look brand new out of the box, not paint wear, all lines crisp and visible. When I finally move into the house I will hopefully be getting soon, and I find them, I'll post some picks of them all.

I gotta admit, I took pictures of this set over the weekend for review later on, and I'm just not feeling them. I guess it doesn't help that I have no familiarity with Secret Wars.

I'm not really 'Feeling it' either. Doom is pretty good. And i'm fond of Photon - but i was REALLY hanging out for Molucule Man, SpiderWoman & Storm. So the TRU 2-pack did more for me that the box-set. Having said that. . . i'm getting to be a bit of a rabid collector (where once, i only bought x-men characters) and am glad to have the new set & to see a couple of new characters made.

Still - this is, for me, the 2nd least exciting box-set release this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know of a hair piece with braids for Photon? I like the fro, but I'd like to see if there is a braided hairpiece to make a more modern version.

Are you talking one braid, two braids, or lots of little ones?

One braid - TRU Spider-Woman and Kat Katraine are the closest

Two braids - Valkyrie is the closest

Lots of braids - DC Direct wave 7 Lobo's dreadlocks are the closest

Some comparison shots of the original Secret Wars Dr. Doom figure and the new minimate from the box set. They did an amazing job with the paint apps to make it identical to the original. If only they would have sculpted his leg apparatus, holster, thing in green. I guess I'll have to paint it to match.

Thanks for the pics! I thought I remembered the leg strap being green. I love that Doom.

Does anyone know of a hair piece with braids for Photon? I like the fro, but I'd like to see if there is a braided hairpiece to make a more modern version.

Yep, the lots of braids look. Lobo might work. I'll have to try it out. Much thanks!

Yep, the lots of braids look. Lobo might work. I'll have to try it out. Much thanks!

Post a pic Id like to see how that works... I'm far too lazy to take those two figs out of their respective display cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure that mine also has the hole. "We needed that Minimate like that a Spidey Minimate needs a hole in the head"

Actually, I have grown to like that guy a bit.

Edited by karamazov80

I picked this set up about a week ago, and my Symbiote bond Spidey has a frickin peg hole in his head :angry: Is this the case for everyone else too? I couldn't find any posts with complaints, so I thought I'd ask.

BS

Yep, mine too. I would've complained, but there'd already been so many complaints about just getting the poor guy...

Between this and peg holes in the "undermask" masks of the Hydra guy and Insulated Spidey, I hope this isn't a continuing trend... seems like a bit of a novice mistake for a toyline hitting it's 30th wave.

Edited by battlecat

yeah, i really dislike those peg-hole 'mates. too. i would honestly rather display my hydra agents with their non-bulky "old school" uniforms, but those huge gaping peg-holes in their heads just bug me too much. it's sort of a bummer.

i sure hope this peg-hole trend doesn't continue in the future...

also, i hate to sound like a bad sport, but i wish the eyes on some of these recent masks matched better, too... the eyes on the dark avengers hawkeye and the black panther were especially mismatched and uneven. :(