UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us closing all 800+ US stores

Yes, always pre-order, through Luke or whoever you can, preferable in the 2-3 weeks after the new Previews listings are released online (by mid-month). That is when final orders are due, so Luke or whoever will be able to order accordingly.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zach - are you able to confirm what immediate product could potentially be affected by the TRU situation, meaning what has either gone into production and/or shipped to TRU?

- Marvel Wave 26 (loose samples shown)

- Infinity War (packaged pix online, not sure if DST or someone found in-store)

- Aliens Series 4 (packaged samples shown)

- Kingdom Hearts Series 1? 

What about Vinimates?  I know there was supposed to be Nibor from TTG, any others?

Edited by youbastards

"Strategic Marks, a company that buys and revitalizes defunct brands, owns the KB name and plans to open 1,000 pop-up KB Toys stores for Black Friday and the holiday shopping season."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/20/news/companies/kb-toys-toys-r-us/index.html

It'll be weird seeing that logo in my mall again. And it'll probably be where the seasonal pop-up toy store usually goes, right where the original Kay-Bee used to be.

3 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

I literally always preorder every Minimate that goes up on BBTS the second they go up, but I've had tons of them cancelled when the releases were then cancelled (like the 80's Turtles, for one). I'm not sure what else I could be doing. :confused:

Maybe that is all you can do. Not everyone does that though (I'm often guilty of not pre-ordering). So, if it helps the brand, I'm going to do my best to pre-order with Luke for the sets I really want. 

Living in Wisconsin, I cannot stand how much it costs now to buy from BBTS with Shipping and Taxes. Luke is almost always cheaper for Minimates, and I like to support ‘the little guy.’ I try to preorder from Luke, but I cannot always justify paying up front. Some times I wait until closer to release, or when I feel like I can afford a big order. ;)

1 hour ago, Onyx_6 said:

Living in Wisconsin, I cannot stand how much it costs now to buy from BBTS with Shipping and Taxes. Luke is almost always cheaper for Minimates, and I like to support ‘the little guy.’ I try to preorder from Luke, but I cannot always justify paying up front. Some times I wait until closer to release, or when I feel like I can afford a big order. ;)

I'm on your boat! I have rarely ever been able to get ahead of the game and every time I go to Luke's store I spend hours and I don't think I have ever spent less than 50 bucks at a time. LOL 

I use to preorder everything through Luke but due to DSTs track record of canceling things (80s Turtles etc) I now wait until closer to  their release to buy them. and I refuse to feel guilty about it as we   have been told many times that we here at the multiverse are a very small near insignificant part of the Minimate purchasing world, so surely whether we preorder or not doesnt matter.

Edited by Mattallica

I would absolutely much rather support Luke than anyone else, but I can never afford to pay for anything up front (unless I'm getting it at that moment, obviously - I don't preorder groceries, lol), especially large bulk orders (a single wave of Minimates is bare minimum $32), but being able to reserve it for free gives me time to save up, the grace period to pay once it comes into stock helps me make sure I have the money saved (or at the very least move that saved amount to the right card - I've learned the hard way too many times to not have any funds on the cards I use online, just in case someone gets ahold of the number), and the Pile of Loot feature lets me pile months worth of toys up to ship for $4 flat (they used to start with a $7 charge, then 90cents-$1 per additional item depending on weight, so even then I'd get a thousand dollars worth of toys from 8 months of ordering for around $12-15). 

Being smaller, I don't expect Luke to compete with any of that, because I know he's got a much higher overhead, especially with shipping (being an occasional eBay seller or even trader on these boards, I have a hard time sending two Minimate packs for under $6 - I would never expect Luke to be able to ship a 4'x4' box for $4), and I know "if you don't support the little guy, the little guy won't be around much longer," but I don't make a lot of money, and I try to make every penny count, and if I have to pay even a few dollars more for Minimates even if it's just the shipping and not the toy prices themselves, that means I have to get fewer Minimates. :confused:

I rarely pre-order anything anymore. I got sick of pre-ordering for top retail only to be rewarded with finding the same item discounted everywhere.

4 hours ago, Mattallica said:

I use to preorder everything through Luke but due to DSTs track record of canceling things (80s Turtles etc) I now wait until closer to  their release to buy them. and I refuse to feel guilty about it as we   have been told many times that we here at the multiverse are a very small near insignificant part of the Minimate purchasing world, so surely whether we preorder or not doesnt matter.

It’s hard not to feel insignificant.

having been one of the ones who preordered the 80’s Turtles (with multiple army builders), I honestly feel like my efforts don’t actually make a difference in showing DST that there’s demand for their product.

still, I won’t stop preordering. Besides liking to support the little guys like Luke, preordering has been my practice from the beginning, and it makes sense for various reasons - for example, that blasted Hawkins mate from the Predator line. some figures get discounted, and others become holy grail fodder. I never know how to predict it.

I have pre-ordered everything 'Minimate' from Luke for as long as he has had his store but I don't think my 'pre-orders' would ever have been included as an 'official' pre-order ?

If only I could have pre-ordered Minimates from ToysRUs.com ......that would have been brilliant . Unfortunately my personal experience of TRU via TRU.com was not good .......in 9 years of TRU waves I have had 9 years worth of woe  . I have totally relied on members here in my pursuit of TRU Minimates , my thanks to you all .

I'd also like to add that nigh on all my favourite Marvel Minimates are TRU Minimates .

I won't miss TRU.com but I will miss the Minimates. 

So I just had something interesting happen today.  I don't know if I believe it, so maybe Zach or someone else can chime in & say "fact" or "fiction."

I placed 3 orders with TRU.com, like right before it was announced that they were closing.  I've only had one show up so far (& it took 9 days via FedEx to go from OH to MN), but it was incorrect -- I spent an hour on hold, but they are fixing the issue no problem.  The other 2 orders still show "in progress" & it's been almost 2 weeks since I placed the order.  Since my CC was charged -- it's already posted to my bank & cleared -- I contacted customer support thru their "chat" function.

Apparently, my other 2 others are backordered -- even tho all the items still appear on the website as available (I was told I was mistaken, as they can not sell what they do not have) -- and the woman had no way of knowing when the items would be back in stock to ship out.  Since they had already taken my money, I started getting a bit upset & asked about how there would be more merchandise when liquidation is just around the corner.

The woman (Michelle) told me that it was only the stores that were closing/liquidating inventory, but the warehouses (fulfillment centers) were staying open so I shouldn't worry about my orders.  I called BS to this -- Zach has mentioned that they are getting no more product from DST, and Mattel & MGA are freaking out about how they will be repaid.

So, here's my question.... is what she said true?  It makes no sense to me that TRU would close physical stores but keep their warehouses open??

11 hours ago, homestar17 said:

So I just had something interesting happen today.  I don't know if I believe it, so maybe Zach or someone else can chime in & say "fact" or "fiction."

I placed 3 orders with TRU.com, like right before it was announced that they were closing.  I've only had one show up so far (& it took 9 days via FedEx to go from OH to MN), but it was incorrect -- I spent an hour on hold, but they are fixing the issue no problem.  The other 2 orders still show "in progress" & it's been almost 2 weeks since I placed the order.  Since my CC was charged -- it's already posted to my bank & cleared -- I contacted customer support thru their "chat" function.

Apparently, my other 2 others are backordered -- even tho all the items still appear on the website as available (I was told I was mistaken, as they can not sell what they do not have) -- and the woman had no way of knowing when the items would be back in stock to ship out.  Since they had already taken my money, I started getting a bit upset & asked about how there would be more merchandise when liquidation is just around the corner.

The woman (Michelle) told me that it was only the stores that were closing/liquidating inventory, but the warehouses (fulfillment centers) were staying open so I shouldn't worry about my orders.  I called BS to this -- Zach has mentioned that they are getting no more product from DST, and Mattel & MGA are freaking out about how they will be repaid.

So, here's my question.... is what she said true?  It makes no sense to me that TRU would close physical stores but keep their warehouses open??

J . I am having similar issues .:confused:

I’m gonna put this here where maybe people going into local TRU’s will see it. Hope that’s okay with everybody. The scalpers have cleaned my stores out, so I’ve heard from the employees.

If anybody comes across the Marvel Legends TRU exclusive Cyclops and Dark Phoenix, I would dearly love to purchase one at cost from you.

Here tis:

http://marveltoynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Cyclops-Dark-Phoenix-Set-Box-e1495637420620.jpg

Edited by Mystery Man

I will look. I know my TRU had them a few months ago. I can’t say I have seen them recently, but I also haven’t been looking.

So today I just went to local TRU, only really 10% off most things. A few things are 20% off but not many and nothing I was looking for.  Legos and construction toys are only 5% off.

I snagged a couple Jessica Jones box sets, a couple Alien sets and a couple Pirates sets.

I know I will now never see Jack O'Lantern and Negative Zone Spiderman.

Noticed they have signs that say they no longer accept checks and they would no scan my rewards card either, which I do understand is now worthless due to the failure of their business.