UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Alien™ Franchise

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No eggs shown, Nessex.

That's ok - i'm sure they'll come with the Queen when she gets released tongue.png

They probably didn't want you to get over-'egg'cited!

T.

p.s. Sorry for open the door for all egg puns... coming along in 3.2.1...

No eggs shown, Nessex.

That's ok - i'm sure they'll come with the Queen when she gets released tongue.png

They probably didn't want you to get over-eggcited!

T.

Agreed. Not to mention not wanting to be yolked to the idea in case budget constraints forced them to be eggstracted from the line later on.

While I'm very confident this line will be a hit, especially among existing Minimates collectors, I'm a little disappointed there isn't at least some concept art for vehicles and the Queen. Hopefully pre-orders for the dump case are at or above expectations even without the inclusion of Ripley. I know a larger, truly to-scale Queen would likely require a larger Minimate body but if sales of these initial SKUs justify the investment, I certainly look forward to supporting it as well as a line of vehicles.

Until then my Colonial Marines will just have to rent Warthogs from the Halo line.

There is concept art, but concept art and committing to tens of thousands of dollars worth of tooling are two different things. No point in getting hopes up if there is not 100% confidence.

That said, the army-builder assortment did better than expected, even without Ripley. I hope that means this line has real legs, but let's hope Valo doesn't murder us all in a panic.

I'll try not to. I'm just high strung. I think I'm so anxious to get a Queen because as plastic costs go up and play sets and vehicles in most lines become more and more non-existent, it feels like 'mates are one of the only avenues left where you can truly get large scale items, if for no other reason than that the 'mates themselves are 2 inches tall.

To those who know, how big would a Queen be to be in scale to a Xenomorph 'mate? 10 inches?

Edited by Valo487

I was on the same page, haha. I hope she gets made, I know vehicles haven't been a huge part of minimate licenses, but I think this is an exception, and would also have a lot of appeal to casual buyers as well.

I'm still bummed that we never got that APC though from the MAX line.

According to the Alien wikipedia, an average Queen is 20 feet tall.

If a Minimate is 2" = 6', then a Minimate Queen would be about 6.5" tall. That's definitely vehicle scale. blink.png

I'd settle for a 15-footer myself.

(And Valo beat me to it.)

Yeah, they vary from film to film, but 20' seems to be the general con-census for proper scale. These are Minimates we're talking about, though, and therefore super-deformed and compressed. I'd say 4" from ground to shoulder would be fine. The head/crest alone should be 2"-2.5". The real question is how to execute the body. Ideally, an enlarged take on the Battle-Beasts 'mates would be great, but I'd imagine very costly to tool (especially for one-time use). Perhaps a one-piece torso (2"-2.5") sculpted to look like a 'mates torso with chest and crotch pieces attached would be more economical (and don't forget the lil' arms!). The legs would be the most challenging and possibly best left solid (though hinged-articulation would be greatly appreciated). As long as the ball-jointed neck, shoulder, and hips (and tail) are retained, she'll still have enough range of motion to hunch to interact with 'mates or rear-up in an enraged, menacing fashion. If possible, a base with eggs would be nice (an egg-sac would put this over-the-top!).

I want it all, but in order of importance:

#1 Queen = Power-loader(3"-3.25")

2 APC (we're getting all these Marines, right?)

3 Drop-ship

Edited by cdubya

That was my understanding as well. No noses = parody.

But look at the Universal Monsters Dracula Minimate. That's definitely not Bela Lugosi's incarnation. (Lugosi likeness rights cost extra.) His vampire never showed fangs.

fig1191h250.jpg

(Hail Ivan!)

Seems like it depends on who they don't mind pissing off. Hopefully they don't mind pissing off John Hurt because I want the full crew from the Nostromo, dang it!

Yeah - K80 & BHM are right. i remember an intervew (possibly the 10th anniversary phone conference) where the Western minimate were used to explain that they got around having to get likeness permissions for Clint Eastwood (who is apparently notoriosly difficult to obtain likeness rights from) because the figures had no noses.