UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The speculation thread

Of course, we could be off base w/ Pan. But of our guesses, that's the closest to the hints given.

Be a shame, cause those graphics are pretty cool.

(hail Ivan)

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pan seems like a good toe-in-the-water test for potential future Disney licenses, and a good way to get us some of the pieces from the "lost" Calico Jack wave. The parrot, spyglass, and cannon (wasn't there a cannon?) all seem like they'd be pretty likely inclusions. In all, I'd think people who were dead set against liking a Disney property could throw away Peter and Tink and look at it as an extension of Calico Jack.

I'd be down with Peter Pan mates. Another pirate ship, more pirates is always a good thing.

A disney line of the classic fairy tales would not be so bad. Alot of new potential mate collectors means longevity for the line, which really is all I care about in the end is more mates being made! :)

Ruuuffeeeoooooo! Are you guys talking about HOOK? You guys really want Peter Pan? I don't think it's Disney. I'm not sure but to take an educated guess I'm pretty sure DST wouldn't invest in a Disney box set. If your being serious and you really want to see two box sets of princesses or fairies cool, but it just doesn't make sense for them to do that to me. Let's get back to serious ideas. I want all the good speculation people to stop fooling around and try to guess this. If any one guesses correctly I will buy them a set of there choice from this line!

Ruuuffeeeoooooo! Are you guys talking about HOOK? You guys really want Peter Pan? I don't think it's Disney. I'm not sure but to take an educated guess I'm pretty sure DST wouldn't invest in a Disney box set. If your being serious and you really want to see two box sets of princesses or fairies cool, but it just doesn't make sense for them to do that to me. Let's get back to serious ideas. I want all the good speculation people to stop fooling around and try to guess this. If any one guesses correctly I will buy them a set of there choice from this line!

Thing is, Peter Pan is about a serious as a guess can get other than a Robin Hood related set...

I still want the Lone Ranger, but I'm seeing Peter Pan as the likeliest scenario right now considering the release timing and the clues... Ah well. I do want the pirates in the set for sure. But Peter Pan is one Disney movie I just don't like much. Mainly because the main character got on my nerves.

Ruuuffeeeoooooo! Are you guys talking about HOOK? You guys really want Peter Pan?

I don't recall ANYONE saying they WANTED Peter Pan. (I may have overlooked a post.) Personally I'm just putting together all the evidence and that's where it points.

I don't think it's Disney. I'm not sure but to take an educated guess I'm pretty sure DST wouldn't invest in a Disney box set.

Zach said it's either Disney or WB.

DST has done exclusive boxed sets for The Disney Store in the past, which would explain the unsolicited release. DST also has pre-existing tooling to allow for a reduced investment specifically in the Peter Pan property (from Tinker Bell's wings to, more importantly, Hook's pirate ship The Jolly Roger). Add to that the fact that Peter Pan gets reissued on BluRay next month and you've got an event tie-in. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything from WB's stable that fits as well.

And as has been said, it's what Zach isn't saying that's the most telling.

If your being serious and you really want to see two box sets of princesses or fairies cool, but it just doesn't make sense for them to do that to me. Let's get back to serious ideas. I want all the good speculation people to stop fooling around and try to guess this. If any one guesses correctly I will buy them a set of there choice from this line!

I'll be happy to take you up on that generous offer! :thumbsup:

It's Peter Pan. And whether existing collectors WANT it or not, hopefully it will be a good brand extension, one that doesn't completely alienate us but still manages to Hook new addicts.

Want? Personally I didn't want Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Walking Dead, or any non Marvel or DC minimates. I don't get them, no real interest. But that doesn't mean I haven't wanted each to succeed, because if they do well I get more and better Marvel stuff I get. So why wouldn't I want to see mates expand into another potentially lucrative market?

I just checked WB Home Video releases for February. They've only got two and both are only months – not decades – old; Cloud Atlas and Argo. So if this sudden announcement is tied into an older WB film, it's not being reissued in February.

And who knows...maybe a second wave would be jake and the never land pirates, which in turn would give us that kid minimate style sculpt.

Technically, a Peter Pan wave could give us some smaller 'mates. (Over Chuck's dead body, of course, unless Disney insisted.)

I really like Disney, I just can't picture DST putting out a bunch of characters that simply enough don't translate to the minimate body. But just so I'm not all ba hum bug...

Aladdin (Snarfed Abu)

Guard (power house chest piece, scimitar)

Genie (lamp base that connects to the torso)

The Sultan

Prince Ali

Jafar (Snarfed Iago, a poncho and alternate head to make imposter Jafar)

Guard (scimitar)

Jasmine

The Magic Carpet with Aladdin and Abu with excited face tampos

I just can't picture DST putting out a bunch of characters that simply enough don't translate to the minimate body.

A couple years ago I would have agreed with you, but then I saw Stay-Puft, Lockjaw, pretty much all of the aliens from Halo, Amateratsu, MODOK, a Brood alien, Slythe, Battle Beasts... I think they'll do just fine. ;)

Aladdin (Snarfed Abu)

Guard (power house chest piece, scimitar)

Genie (lamp base that connects to the torso)

The Sultan

Prince Ali

Jafar (Snarfed Iago, a poncho and alternate head to make imposter Jafar)

Guard (scimitar)

Jasmine

The Magic Carpet with Aladdin and Abu with excited face tampos

Yeah, I would buy the crap out of Aladdin. The more I think about it, the more compatible I believe Disney properties would be with Minimates. Even just a box set per movie for obvious ones like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, etc. Then dig into their catalog of more obscure movies... I would kill for a Condorman Minimate!

Looking ahead, Disney's home video releases for March include Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Mulan, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Can't honestly say I'd be thrilled with another Hunchback set but I'd be game for 'mates based on Mike Mignola character designs and Chinese warriors and Huns. :thumbsup:

Of course none of these movies are currently on the table given that they were released well after 1969. (Same as Aladdin.)

the 2 atlantis movies and treasure planet some of my fav disny stuff.

If DST have a WD licence it is major thing for them I couldnt be more pleased. the i dont belive ine faries was supposed to tongue in cheek amd in my originl post i will just wait for the reveal.

I know DST can make characters that are all sculpted, but I don't think your going to get a set that's predominately characters like Lockjaw and Terror Dog.

I'm not upset.

If DST have a WD licence it is major thing for them I couldnt be more pleased.

I don't think that's the deal here if it's a Disney Store exclusive. This is more like ThunderCats or DC Direct's DC Comics line; DST would be a third party, hired to design and manufacture the product and packaging. DST wouldn't have to pay any licensing fees. Therefore their investment (and risk) is relatively low.

At least that's how I'd work it. B)