UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2011: Main Discussion Thread

FYI. The danger of the Alice Minimates being sold out is over. It was officially sold out this Friday afternoon. No one thought it would sell out, including me and Chuck. 2nd sellout of a minimate during SDCC. 1st was the Glow-In-The-Dark Stay Puft.

Well crap. Looks like I'll need to stalk eBay...:confused:

This isn't a bad place to start, given the prices that the bids are starting at as well as the $40 Buy it Now auctions

http://cgi.ebay.com/SDCC-2011-COMIC-CON-ALICE-MADNESS-RETURNS-MINIMATE-/180700023625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a128f8b49

Edited by captain_cbecker

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone confirm if they did indeed have the arctic warthog for sale at their booth? I was looking at the store display photo on facebook and it looked like it. If they did and anyone could grab me one that would be cool!

Jeff of the Miniacs

FYI. The danger of the Alice Minimates being sold out is over. It was officially sold out this Friday afternoon. No one thought it would sell out, including me and Chuck. 2nd sellout of a minimate during SDCC. 1st was the Glow-In-The-Dark Stay Puft.

Well crap. Looks like I'll need to stalk eBay...:confused:

This isn't a bad place to start, given the prices that the bids are starting at as well as the $40 Buy it Now auctions

http://cgi.ebay.com/SDCC-2011-COMIC-CON-ALICE-MADNESS-RETURNS-MINIMATE-/180700023625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a128f8b49

Good price, actually. I was actually able to snag a different Alice for only $15 after shipping.

Can anyone confirm if they did indeed have the arctic warthog for sale at their booth? I was looking at the store display photo on facebook and it looked like it. If they did and anyone could grab me one that would be cool!

Jeff of the Miniacs

There's an auction going here that states it's in-hand. I don't know how legit that is though.

Why does the mass market company's line have a huge character selection while the specialty market line has never ending spidey/wolverine/thor/cap variants. :wacko:

Hasbro has done a surprisingly good job getting out a varied selection of characters. DST should take note as a character that can support a MU or ML release can probably make it in a 2-pack. That being said, even in just the past year nobody beats minimates on character selection. A few glaring omissions in the lineups doesn't change that.

Arctic Warthog was on sale at the DST booth, because I bought one. :) Don't know if it still is though.

I was able to record the Minimates panel, but haven't been able to upload it. Hotel wireless isn't great, and the convention center's wireless is worse than last year. I'll have to camp out at a Starbucks or something.

I think the slideshow at the beginning of the panel brought the room's energy down. (It will be rather dull in the video as well.) Since there were no big reveals, barring Modok's design sheet, it was all very low key.

wait...THEY SHOWED MODOK?! just that would have made me swallow my words from earlier, why hasnt anyone mentioned this?!!

Just the concept/control art. Looks good. DST was all jazzed to mention that there is a Minimate inside the big head/body.

Beyond that it was a pretty lackluster panel. DST posted everything on Facebook Wednesday that they had on display, nothing was held back for today.

A bit dry on the presentation. The stop-motion video was cute but a waste of resources IMO.

Digger's presence at the panel was nice but he felt a bit... jaded. Lots of mention of what his original vision of Minimates was as a platform for original concepts, designer art and new ideas which directly clashed with what Chuck said the mission is now. Kind of a weird vibe.

Zach was really nice, spoke a bit in the booth afterwards. Sounds like no plans to find a home for the "lost" Borders Thor movie packs but he really wants to see the Warriors Three in comic form soon. Going to work on Kang with Chuck since I mentioned him being the protagonist for the opening arc of the rebooted Avengers series and him being a bit more high profile now.

Not much else exciting to report form the panel.

so basically the entire panel was saying NO to this and that? wow....

Even battle beasts, which they have the rights to.

They still don't know how to launch BB after all this years. I now wonder if they will ever find a way to release them.

I suspect our own guy on the spot, Storm108 will be by later after he gets home from the con to give us more details on the panel, He's known to carry a clipboard for just that purpose.

T.

I was able to record the Minimates panel, but haven't been able to upload it.

That darn demanding editor made me type everything up. :tongue: But Ivan recorded it so I'm going to not post it as the video is better.

Also, I'll hassle Zach to post the design sheet of MODOK soon.

wait...THEY SHOWED MODOK?! just that would have made me swallow my words from earlier, why hasnt anyone mentioned this?!!

Because the action figure website reporters were probably really interested in the panel afterwards, which was the Hasbro Marvel panel. So they just covered this panel perhaps not knowing MODOK was a big deal.

... but he really wants to see the Warriors Three in comic form soon.

YAY!

And re: MODOK... was the design showed the classic orange/purple version with the brown hair bowl-cut we all know and love? Or the more modern version that appeared in the last issue of (Red) Hulk?

now that im actually seeing the pics, this was a GREAT panel!

that MODOK design is a thing of beauty *sniffle* :')

those night ops and artic ops look like loads of fun, and those new halo mates look CRAZY AWESOME!

They still don't know how to launch BB after all this years. I now wonder if they will ever find a way to release them.

I know, I've just about given up on them.

I think I'd rather see them sell the rights back to hasbro and they could slide back into the transformers/GI Joe universe.

I'm surprised with the Robot Heroes, Galatic Heores and super hero squad, hasbro didn't think to make battle beasts there, but I guess they didn't have the rights.

Diamond have had he rights for like...3 years? I guess I just feel, if they won't use it, they should let it go.

I doubt there is a decent way to launch Battle Beasts within DSTs budget.

On a related note, I watched http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rebellion_on_Planet_Beast today. I forgot how much Transformers and Battlebeasts were linked outside of Europe.

SnakeBomb-MIB.jpg

As much as I am ... patiently waiting something for Battle Beasts, I kind of agree. I'd like to at least see some preliminary sketches or something.

On a side note though, that M.A.X. Swat vehicle looks awesome!!!