UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

1fc5703504e36b8e8e19e992a2b56fef.jpg

Well scrap! So much for that money saved. That Venom is just beautiful. FA face and everything. Look... the tampo goes all-the-way-around! Joygasim!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of army-building, is a future "Best of" wave a good place for a two-pack of army-builder 'mates? Something like The Hand and A.I.M. soldiers?

I don't think a 2-pack of army builders would be wise in a best of wave as they would sell extremely well while the other packs wouldn't have the volume. Now, having a best of wave where each big name character was paired with a rereleased army builder is a totally different scenario.

Speaking of army-building, is a future "Best of" wave a good place for a two-pack of army-builder 'mates? Something like The Hand and A.I.M. soldiers?

I don't think a 2-pack of army builders would be wise in a best of wave as they would sell extremely well while the other packs wouldn't have the volume. Now, having a best of wave where each big name character was paired with a rereleased army builder is a totally different scenario.

Why not all army builders?

616 SHIELD (Female)/616 Hydra (Bob! OR no hole in head)

Kree (Inc. Pink Kree Parts)/Skrull

Multiple Man/Sentinel

AIM (RAID)/Hand Ninja (Black?)

I would buy at least one case.

What's the story behind DP's 'tray' ....looks like something is missing or another character was destined to fit in there???

I think they just like to stack cool-looking accessories in the middle so they're visible, then put the other accessories next to the right character. No need to balance the tray if you can't see most of if in the box. DD/Venom is similarly imbalanced.

I guess this means the rocket launcher and rifle are Punisher's, since DP has katanas on his back. I'd also give Frank the shotgun and pistol, and DP the HKs.

Maaan, seeing that Reed makes me want a Johnny, Sue and Ben in that gear now.

Or at least Sue and Johnny, since Ben made it into wave 1. Still dreaming of a "Flame Off", human Johnny Storm minimate I didn't have to assemble myself. But since I'll need at least two Doombots, I'll have an extra Reed on hand anyway.

And while we're mentioning dreaming, I'd rather have rereleased army builder army dump cases given a choice.

From the shot Zach posted on Facebook- Reed's costume won't match up with existing FF'ers, at least the most recent wave- the blues are too different (a light blue for wave 8 from the TRU wave)- plus the decal on this 'best of' reed isn't quite as ripped as that of wave 8. Here's hoping we'll get a 'best of' sue to match Reed in the near future. I've bought almost every variation on the costume (except future foundation) glad to see there's so many to choose from.

From the shot Zach posted on Facebook- Reed's costume won't match up with existing FF'ers, at least the most recent wave- the blues are too different (a light blue for wave 8 from the TRU wave)- plus the decal on this 'best of' reed isn't quite as ripped as that of wave 8. Here's hoping we'll get a 'best of' sue to match Reed in the near future. I've bought almost every variation on the costume (except future foundation) glad to see there's so many to choose from.

I didn't think they would match up. This new one looks more like their original costumes.

I didn't think they would match up. This new one looks more like their original costumes.

The "Best of" Reed is definetely based on the first costumes, which I'm almost positive Jeff understands. I think he's just saying "Hey, this one won't match with the ones we've already gotten/are going to get".

Personally, I think about the closest we can do (for Sue, anyway) IF the blue matches with the series 7 versions would be:

- your Sue head/hair of choice

- series 7 Sue torso

- "Best of" Reed regular arms/hands, legs/feet, crotch

That's what I'm planning on trying, anyways.

I really didn't care for the hair-piece used on the original. It wasn't a terrible sculpt for the time or anything, but it was on almost every female that came out for a while. The line work on her is also very heavy, and there isn't much shading. IT looked appropriate at the time, but It doesn't really fit in with the design style of the more modern minimates. I think it'd be a good chance to give her some under-arm wings too.

I feel like i've now got quite a few modern Sue Storms that look great & fit in with the current lines of minimates.... but Jessica looks a bit dated standing with my modern Avengers.

If we do get a 'best of' of with some women in it - i'd be keen to see an updated Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew).

Was just thinking about this today and completely agree. An all-women "Best Of" line would be a great fit for this. A toned down paint job, new hair, under arm wings... I'm salivating just thinking about it :drool:

Probably something like:

Spider-Woman

Wasp

Invisible Woman (to match Reed)

Storm (GSXM costume with new hair/cape/tampo?)

Black Widow

Dark Phoenix

Black Cat

Elektra

Might be too soon for Elektra, definitely think it'd be too soon for She-Hulk after MvC, but she'd be appropriate. Could also sub in Psylocke (Ninja)/Rogue/Mystique in those slots. I'd say Ms. marvel, too, but I'm hoping we get a Captain Marvel Carol in the Marvel NOW! wave.

I'm trying to think of other characters I'd like to see the definitive "Best of" version, a bulked up savage Grey Hulk with The Leader (brainy head version,) Black Suit Spider-Man and Dr. Octopus, WWII Captain America and Bucky, that's all I've got so far.

I think a bulk up grey hulk with the leader would be an awesome pack. A bulked up grey hulk is probably my biggest variant want right now.

I'm trying to think of other characters I'd like to see the definitive "Best of" version, a bulked up savage Grey Hulk with The Leader (brainy head version,) Black Suit Spider-Man and Dr. Octopus, WWII Captain America and Bucky, that's all I've got so far.

I think a bulk up grey hulk with the leader would be an awesome pack. A bulked up grey hulk is probably my biggest variant want right now.

That's a great idea! Leader could have both types of heads, tall and "ballsy". :lol:

-Grey Hulk could have two hairpieces... one with hair just on top and one with a full head of hair, for multiple looks.

-And as un-crazy as I am about yet another Spider-Man, black costumed or otherwise, I'd stomach one if it meant getting a swell new comic Doc Ock. That 4-pack the last one came in was tough for some folks to get... it'd be nice if he was an "ever green" figure that others could pick up.

It'd be even neater if the Dr. Octopus was a green jumpsuit version that also came with a 2nd torso cover and white arms to simulate a lab-coat version.

- Invisible Woman/ somebody: Make that Sue in the same costume version as the "Best of" Mr. Fantastic and include parts to make her arms/legs clear. Pack her with a brand new FF villain, like Dragon Man to really move that set and make it the most sought after.

I totally gave Valo credit and submitted my fleshed out ideas to DST's "Ask a Question". :D

Edited by Mystery Man

I like the idea of black suit spidey and doc ock as well :thumbsup: I wish I had a squid m.d. mate to go with all my other spider man villains :confused:

Anyone thinking red skull or ghost rider or magneto for wave three?

Edited by zakkatz

I don't think people understand the point of the "Best Of" releases.

I think i get what you're saying - but almost none of the 'Best Of' wave 2's are straight re-releases. Some of them have different paint aps. some have different accessories. Come are total mish-mashes of other figures (i'm looking at you, Loki).

My understanding was that the 'Best of' waves were a perpetually produced series designed to always keep the A-List available to retailers, even when the current wave is a little light on the heavy hitters.

My understanding was that the 'Best of' waves were a perpetually produced series designed to always keep the A-List available to retailers, even when the current wave is a little light on the heavy hitters.

That's how I understand it too. And I think DST did a terrific job making wave 2 appeal to hardcore collectors even if it isn't aimed at them. Heck, we just got a Venom four-pack and there's still reason to buy the Venom from these sets. There's a good chance I'll buy all of them. But expecting Spider-Woman, army builders, etc in a potential wave 3 is setting yourself up for disappointment. Gray Hulk, Leader, Doc Ock, and black costume Spider-man? That sounds about right.