UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Thor and Captain America...

MST3KFan

I'm just recalling around the time Iron Man 2 came out in theaters we had a movie based wave as well as a comic based wave of Minimates devoted to the Ol' Shellhead.

Has DST ever mentioned anywhere about doing this for the Thor and Captain America movies as well? I'd think it's possible and a good way to release more characters for their comic related stuff...

Thor's comic wave could maybe come with a new Classic Thor similar to the Disney 4-pack one maybe, a new Loki, a new Absorbing Man, Enchantress, Grey Gargoyle, and of course, a troop builder of some kind with maybe a variant to Enchantress...like Lorelei or Sif.

Captain America's comic wave could have of course a Captain America in some form, Crossbones, Baron Von Strucker, a new Nick Fury, Madam Hydra, and of course another troop builder of some kind...

Thoughts?

I really hope we get comic waves, but the Thor movie mates look passable for comic versions, too.

If they do it though, I'd like to see Malekith and dark elves for troop builders (or whatever the soldiers were for the Simonson Ragnarok storyline).

For Captain America troop builders, SHIELD agents!

It's not uncommon. The same thing happened with the Wolverine Origins film. We got a 'Wolverine' comic wave (28).

I wouldn't bet against seeing comic waves to compliment the film waves.

Although, i am starting to worry that we wont see much coming out with the X-Men First Class film. It's due out in 6 Months, and there's not a trailer or a poster to be seen. I'm getting the impression that this is a much smaller budget film, which makes me worry that we might not get any minimates with it :(

It's not uncommon. The same thing happened with the Wolverine Origins film. We got a 'Wolverine' comic wave (28).

I wouldn't bet against seeing comic waves to compliment the film waves.

Although, i am starting to worry that we wont see much coming out with the X-Men First Class film. It's due out in 6 Months, and there's not a trailer or a poster to be seen. I'm getting the impression that this is a much smaller budget film, which makes me worry that we might not get any minimates with it :(

Ah, well. Given how much X-Men love we've gotten lately that wouldn't be too much of a hurt in my mind. Comic based waves devoted to Thor and Cap are probably going to be the only time we'll see a number of characters associated with them.

Unless they kick Marvel 'mate production into overdrive, I think we pretty much already know what we'll be seeing this year.

LCS

In a good year, they push out three LCS waves, with a fourth occasionally squeaking in during the last week of December. Right now we're looking at:

March/April*: Wave 38 (Shadowland)

July/August: Wave 39 (Thor)

September/October: Wave 40 (Catchall wave with Sinister, Nimrod, etc.)

(Note: DST solicited dates are adjusted with standard six- to eight-week padding... <_<)

TRU

We've been seeing four TRU waves a year. We already know about the AOA/90's wrap-up wave 10, and I would bet on another wave sometime this year that rounds out the Excalibur and X-Force box sets.

Also, we know about TRU waves for Thor, Cap, and X-Men First Class. It's up in the air who will be in those waves, but if the Thor wave we've seen is any indication, they will be heavily skewed toward the movie incarnations of the characters.

So, I'm thinking convention box sets are our best shot at comic versions of movie characters this year.

Ah, well. Given how much X-Men love we've gotten lately that wouldn't be too much of a hurt in my mind. Comic based waves devoted to Thor and Cap are probably going to be the only time we'll see a number of characters associated with them.
That's true. X-Fans were pretty spoilt in 2010 (also known as MMX - or MiniMateX-men year!). I should be happy that my wallet gets a little rest :P

I was already pretty annoyed by the character selection in waves 38 and 40, but now that Lobsterman laid it out and it seems pretty unlikely we'll be getting comic waves to go with the movie waves, it's even moreso. I hope they still surprise us, Captain America's one of the biggest name heroes whose supporting cast hasn't been really tapped into.

Crossbones, Falcon, Baron Von Strucker, Baron Blood, Sharon Carter, just to name a few....maybe a Captain America with variant Punisher Captain America?

I asked 'em in a Q and A... one of the last two or three. I think they pretty much said: "We don't have time to get 'em out" or something along those lines, which was disappointing. I was really hoping to see several of the characters now announced for the Thor movie in their comic book representations.

I think Lobsterman is right (and Mystery Man's post seems to support that). Hard to imagine them shoe-horning comic waves in-between those already announced in time to get out before or soon after the films are released. Too bad, because I don't otherwise see a Thor comic-based wave coming, for instance. Best you can really hope for is a "Thor Through the Ages" set at some point, and a random Thor villain or ally thrown into other "catch-all" waves or broad-themed box sets.

I think our esteemed director took the same opinion I share about the Wolverine Origins movie: Yeah that didn't happen. MOVING ALONG!

Now I personally like the costumes. But clothes may make the man but they don't make the character. I'll have to see if these actors are worth a flip before I decide on X-Men. I kinda liked Fassbender in Inglourious Basterds, but I just can't see Tumnus as Xavier. We'll see when it comes out. I'll be there opening day.

So, Prof. X is now roughly the same age as White Queen, who was only slightly older than Cyclops in the Wolvie: Origins movie?

OK.

Yep. And they claim it's still in continuity, despite Wolverine: Origins destroying alot of the continuity with the first 3 by itself...

Oh, but in their defense, they never said "Diamond Emma"'s last name, and she never demonstrated telepathy, so they could be 2 different people. :rolleyes:

And Alex is now the elder Summers, apparently, too. disaprove.gif

EDIT: And, I love how Hank McCoy was in his human form in X2, but he's furry blue in this.

Edited by TENIME_art

And Alex is now the elder Summers, apparently, too. disaprove.gif

Yeah, so Havok looks about Xavier's age, as well. Meaning he would have to be a lot older than Cyclops, right? Like, 30 years older? Those things have happened, but. . .seems to be stretching the believability factor a bit. Not to mention that Beast was no old geezer in X3.

The only explanations that make sense to me is that the Xavier and Magneto characters are supposed to be many, many years older than the actors portraying them.

Or, that they will just gloss over any continuity with the other movies, or the comic books.

The biggest problem with this movie is that all of these characters are supporting characters at best, yes, including Magneto and Xavier. There's no 'big name' character to sell the movie.

X-Men 1 setup the back story of Xavier and Magneto, and despite all the criticism of X3, I thought it wrapped up their story fine, leaving the writers free to explore with more mutants and other themes/villains without having to rely on the Xavier/Magneto history.

They would have been better off starting a new trilogy with X4 and have Storm, Iceman, Colossus, etc rebuilding the school in Xavier's memory. They could have brought some of these other characters in then as the New Mutants or Next Class.

It would even give a REASON to introduce Havok, wanting to find out what happened to his brother.

Are we sure that is Xavier on the far right and not a real-life adult Stewie Griffin? :D

I think our esteemed director took the same opinion I share about the Wolverine Origins movie: Yeah that didn't happen. MOVING ALONG!

And that's fair enough. I just hope that whenever X3 comes out, they do the same thing and build on the stories from X1 and X2. I really want First Class to be good, but I'm worried about the X-Film franchise.

edit: I'll admit that I think I might kind of like the look of the costumes. Also, I think this is all happening in the wrong thread.

Edited by Turtle