UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Buttheadsmate's......

buttheadsmate

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob, I hope to discuss the history of chez BHM with you over a few pints, one day.

Here or New Orleans? Both venues in due course? :thumbsup:

It's p*ssing down here in glorious Devon & I am confined to the house pulling my hair out & typing rubbish . Every cloud has a silver lining however & the lake's water level is increasing daily & it'll be time to take some more pictures as its first anniversary looms.

• 3 weeks later...

So, now that there's water... when's the first annual Beavis Regatta scheduled?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a link.. my local weather expectation http://www.ukholidayweather.co.uk/holidayweather/england/devon/hatherleigh/

& here's your challenge if you wish to accept it ..........

The lake's level is currently 41" from the bottom of the platform of the jetty/pier/whatever . The bottom of the j/p/whatever is in perfect line with the oulet/overflow pipe & will be the initial choice for the lake's optimum level unless I change it . The lake also has an inlet pipe which is fed from the Easterly side of the farm & I can be absolutely specific when I say that I haven't a clue how much runs in from it at any given time. The Easterly (jetty) edge of the lake also allows water to drain in.

What date will the lake be full ? :biggrin:

My guess would be mid-February but I confess that I haven't a clue .

Edited by buttheadsmate

So, you figure the water park will be open for tourists by spring, right?

For some reason I neglected to hit send before on my reply, so i'll give this another bash. haha.

I really like that you've got the sufficient land and space to do something you've always wanted to do. The name has a really nice ring to it, In you mentioning Linda was the name of your late sister it is a lovely tribute and i'm sure it means alot to you.

The pictures of the development of the lake are interesting it shows over a period of time since last year what it took to build it, i'm sure it was a little more complicated initially than just dig a hole and fill it. I'm also sure that in time when nature takes its course it will look quite spectacular. :)

Even though i live in a small town inside Manchester, we have some great wildlife spots just 10 minutes from where I live. You mentioned Canada Geese in the thread earlier, it's probably best i show you this rather than explain it.

Canada Geese at Tame Valley

This video was shot with my Panasonic HDC SD60 last year, I hope you don't mind me sharing it on your thread, i'd imagine the wildlife you will get over time will be very interesting.

That's quite a project you've undertaken but never the less a worthwhile one. :biggrin:

So, you figure the water park will be open for tourists by spring, right?

:thumbsup:

post-638-0-95079200-1323887813_thumb.jpg post-638-0-30137700-1323887866_thumb.jpg

Thanks Urban Saboteur for your input esp. the video of those darn Canucks :) I've always been overwhelmed by the response this thread seems to have gotten & as long as you guys are interested I'll keep you abreast .....a wing or even a leg :biggrin:

One thing that is now concerning me is the safety aspect ,we'll be treating the lake with a bit of respect but some-fool straying into the field on a dark night might well end up dead . That sounds dramatic but it is a distinct possibilty.

• 2 weeks later...

A little deeper and you can finally get all those dismembered bodies out of the chest freezer! Think of the energy savings!

• 1 month later...

The lake is full ..... post-638-0-76898900-1328466580_thumb.jpg

post-638-0-96001100-1328466356_thumb.jpgpost-638-0-45713800-1328466387_thumb.jpgpost-638-0-54732000-1328466424_thumb.jpgpost-638-0-89427600-1328466455_thumb.jpg

just in time for it to freeze.

We've missed out on the extreme weather you're probably getting up North but the lake has been frozen for most of the past week & I've kept well away from it until today .....I've seen too many movies where somebody goes in under the ice :unsure:

Not been too bad around here no snow as yet just a few sludgy patches and frozen puddles etc.

Wow! I'm sure it has seemed like an enormous amount of time and effort on your part, but for us just sitting back watching the updates, it feels like you've accomplished this in no time at all.

Congratulations on making it seem easier that it could possibly be. Your lake is lovely.

I take it with the Lake being frozen you wont be holding any Winter Classic Hockey games per-chance, they could play for the annual Minimate Cup! :lol:

Shame that, cos i'd of liked to of watched it, you could of hooked up camera's and offered livestream from the event. :biggrin:

It's great that the lake has filled out so much, and i'd been waiting on a lake picture update as you know.

Awesome!

Edited by Urban Saboteur

When I first started this thread I wondered whether anybody would be at all interested ..I'm so glad that some of you are.

In reality I just planned the idea ,got somebody to build it & asked God to fill it up ....that was the easy part because now I've got to figure what fish are going into it & what's planted around it . I'll promise not to get too boring (be a first? :biggrin: ) about what's going on in the future but I will keep you updated. I definitely want to be first in & the first across it but I'll wait till Summer comes first.

BTW if any of y'all turns up in the future to see the lake you'd be welcome.

bhm wakes in the morning horrified that he can't edit his post