UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Defended

karamazov80

Today I defended my dissertation, and so I'm now a few revisions away from having a Ph.D. This was a pretty long road, and honestly, I'm not sure if where I am "is worth the things I've been through" as James Taylor put it, but it feels like a ton of weight is off of my shoulders.

Just wanted to share, since this is a big event for me, and this forum has become my favorite "virtual" respite from the real world and this damn dissertation. Though it probably helped to prolong the process (how many countless hours did I read or post here instead of gathering data or running a statistical analysis?), it was a necessary distraction at times. Thanks to all of you who have provided me with conversation, a laugh, or an whiny post here or there (as I myself enjoy doing from time to time).

:buttrock:

Edited by karamazov80

Congrats pal! As you may or may not know, I certainly understand the work it takes to achieve a PhD. I have considered a doctorate in my chosen field of computer science, but I'd have to move to find a decent post-grad engineering school. Plus, I think I'd rather get my teaching cert and teach youngsters when I get sick of my current job.

Good on ya pal! I have an AS in Poly Sci, but changed gears and went into engineering about half way through. My BS is in Comp Sci.

Huge congrats pal! I remember when we started talking waaaay back you said you were working on this, good on you for carrying it the distance! It may not seem worth it right now but once the dust settles and you can officially toss those letters behind your name it'll seem more worthwhile!

Jeff of the Miniacs

Congrats on the dissertation defense karamazov :thumbsup: I'm only an undergraduate but I just went through the ordeal of defending my thesis myself a couple weeks ago. I sure could relate to your point on procrastinating on the Multiverse though :ermm:

Thanks guys. I'm not too interested in letters behind my name or anything, but I'm definitely interested in an academic job if I can get it. They don't get any cushier than that.

Shanester, I know settling down makes it difficult to make big moves and decisions. If I had had a family over this time (as I know many of you do), I can't imagine having been able to do this. Putting aside the time and energy required, it just wouldn't have made financial sense. $10-13K a year works for a single grad student. . .but that's about it.

But whether you decide to teach, get a doctorate, or anything else, I wish you the best of luck! Sometimes, as I'm sure you know, you've got to invest now for a pay-off later, whatever that payoff may be.

I assumed it was in toys-when do we need to start calling you Dr. Minimate?

Immediately. In fact, I will only respond to this title from now on.

Reading just the thread title, I was really curious, but I haven't expected that! Woohoo! Congratulations Sam! :teehee: I can imagine what it takes to go that way, since I'll be starting my own academic journey next year after hopefully getting my Magister degree - something like your master - next spring. However, well done!!

Very cool indeed. Gratz man. Enjoy forcing others to listen to you ramble about a subject you enjoy and getting paid for it! Seriously considering going back and getting my Masters for the same reason. Just remember... violence is not an accetable response to not getting tenure.

A friend of mine who got her Ph.D. here a few years ago got her bachelor's degree at Tulane, and only had good things to say about it. Loyola and Tulane are both in such a beautiful part of town, too. I would have loved to have attended either for my bachelor's degree, but the price was too steep. I was offered a partial scholarship at Loyola if memory serves, but the remaining cost still would have been so high. . .

But if you can get THEM to pay YOU...

Indeed. I've actually been on the job market, and have yet to get an offer from a place where I can see myself working (I don't want to teach 5 courses a semester, for example--and once you accept one of those jobs, it is very difficult to get anything else). But, the market sucked this year for academics just like it sucks everywhere else. I'm hopeful that something better will present itself next year (schools usually hire from August through January or so). There was an opening at UNO that I applied for. I'm not against staying here in LA if the right opportunity presents itself.

Today I defended my dissertation ...

You PM'd me your concerns about this previously &....to be honest Sam....I wasn't sure initially WTF you meant :blush:

I'm from the UK & left school at 16 with an unhealthy attitude towards anybody with a better education than mine .

You my friend, are one hell of a guy ,one amongst many here & I'm proud of you....you clever fuck!

I do however want you to go to some 'decent' place of learning where I can visit you, & stay with you, in the manner I deserve .....drunk & comfortable ;)

I promise I'll let you down :P