UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Toy Fair 2010 thread

Here's the spiel from DST's website:

Halo Minimates Revealed!

In November 2001, Bungie and Microsoft brought the world “Halo: Combat Evolved”. The game became a worldwide sensation and helped rocket the “Xbox” to stardom. Since then, the franchise has continued to gain momentum with “Halo 2”, “Halo 3”, “Halo Wars”, and “Halo 3: ODST” (not to mention the DVD release of “Halo: Legends”). Now, as everyone waits in anticipation for Fall release of the prequel “Halo: Reach”, Diamond Select is proud to announce the inclusion of “Halo” into the Minimates universe!

To help launch the line this Fall, comic book and specialty stores will be offering a 4-pack which will include:

Master Chief

UNSC Marine

Spartan in Scout Armor

Elite in Assault Armor

Future announcements will bring great news concerning other Spartan armor classes from the various games (in your favorite multi-player color schemes), aliens & allies, and vehicles. We’ll also be bringing you news about our plans for a sneak peek/debut at this year’s San Diego Comic Con.

Nice!

This is a license that might have good timing (Halo Reach) and work pretty well. I'm kind of bored of the games themselves but am looking forwards to a minimate Master Chief!

T.

p.s. watch Nestle go all girlie and squeal when he see's this :)

LOL.

Ah Tim... Too much history. :P:lol:

I AM super excited about this!

Other than Ghostbusters, I don't remember the last license that jumped out at me as "awesome."

I notice the 4 pack is all Spartan & Elite armors though...

Their post says they'll be expanding the line to bigger and better which is good... But WHEN!?!?!? The real potential for Halo mates lies in the diverse characters they can create.

Grunts, Jackals, Hunters, ect. Each species and character is SO diverse in look and style that they could make this one of the coolest mates lines out there.

They're all so colorful and different that these could easily look as good as DCD's line or later Marvel ones. All they need to do is go beyond what they've done with the other Halo toy licenses. ... That's where I'm worried. :(

All Kubricks did was Spartans. :angry:

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very cool! I am glad that the Halo announcement is atleast a property that I know instead of something I have never played. I hope that we get to see some actual pics of Pirate stuff soon as this is an intriguing new property as well. I am glad I didn't buy any of the Halo megabloks. My nephew had some adn I thought they looked cool and was tempted several times to pick some up but I am so glad I didn't because anything in minimate form is better.

was this discussed yet?

Pirates!?

ohh no that looks fun though... DID DST finally realise that they can do non licensed minimates?

T.

It does look like a fun line, hopefully turns into more stuff like this.....egyptians, greeks, romans, mayan/aztek,middle ages, fantasy, aliens, robots, etc...could go on and on :D

There've been plenty of takes on Marvel too, ya know, but we don't complain so much about that. ;) I think Halo is a pretty good choice. I've never played it and don't own an xBox, but I know who Master Chief is and the various armors have a pretty instant appeal. I'd say it's reached mainstream pop-culture status. Knowing next to nothing about Halo, I'm really looking forward to these. I really want to see the armors lined up with the Hammer Drones.

there have indeed but the differences are:

Marvel has been around along time, with many various characters and multitudes of fans

they tend to not compete with themselves by putting out similar scales and product types

there are not currently Marvel figures clogging shelves and not selling

Minimates themselves have a hard time selling, add that to any of the above and it could be trouble. dont get me wrong as a minimate fan I will buy them but I hope others do as well, because sooner or later too many failures will bring an end to all minimate lines im afraid

Good points (but I can think of at least 4 Marvels all within a similar scale/product type- Minimates, Kubricks, Megabloacks, and SHS). At any rate, I think DST is doing the smart thing and playing it safe with their offerings here. I imagine if these do well, we'll see more, and if they don't, it will still be easy for DST to walk away.

Now where's all the coverage?

edit: PIRATES! And is that Crimson Dynamo on the Marvel poster?

Edited by Turtle

In order of how news broke:

- HALO Minimates are cool. Was kinda hoping for Lego Indiana Jones, though...

- Pirate Minimates? Cool. Can't wait to see these.

- And yes, that is Crimson Dynamo in the poster. Guess we're seeing him in the future. Hopefully the near-future.

Pirates should be very cool indeed. Halo is definitely worth a shot, especially with Reach building anticipation. Have DST suddenly got a Mega-Brand's employee on board, as these have both been Mega-Bloks things in the past.

And oh my goodness, I pressed Next on that Pirates image, and got Universal Monsters. Then Ghostbusters. Then Star Wars Clone Wars! And I thought YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

But no Minimates logo :(

OK .....Minimate Pirates. I can only offer one piece of advice .....here's the advice......

Buy yourself one of the Mega Blok Ships preferably the 'Flying Dutchman','Dread Eyes Phantom' or 'The Black Pearl' ,discard the figures & keep your fingers crossed for these.

Buy one now ;)

Edited by buttheadsmate

And oh my goodness, I pressed Next on that Pirates image, and got Universal Monsters. Then Ghostbusters. Then Star Wars Clone Wars! And I thought YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Yeah, since the poster didn't say Minimates, I wouldn't get too excited about Star Wars Minimates.

So, what do you think are the odds of pirate ships coming in the vehicle line? Pirates without ships to sail would make as much sense as a Ghost Rider without a motocycle to drive...

i cant wait for pics!!!!im as giddy as a school girl!

No shit!!! - please try not to totally clog the thread with pointless posts though!

:down:

Back on topic, here's a TF traditional reminder... If/When images do appear of new stuff don't forget to save em to your hard drives folks, often pix come and are taken down pretty quickly!

T.

OK .....Minimate Pirates. I can only offer one piece of advice .....here's the advice......

Buy yourself one of the Mega Blok Ships preferably the 'Flying Dutchman' or 'The Black Pearl' ,discard the figures & keep your fingers crossed for these.

Buy one now ;)

B-b-but, but... I still have to eat! And I don't even have a job yet! And I'm still living with my parents!

http://cgi.ebay.ph/MEGA-BLOKS-Pyrates-Admi...=item3caa22de11

... oh well. Back to the soda crackers and sodium-rich instant noodles.

So, what do you think are the odds of pirate ships coming in the vehicle line? Pirates without ships to sail would make as much sense as a Ghost Rider without a motocycle to drive...

Personally I'm a bit skeptical of DST's capability of releasing full-blown pirate ships in the vehicles line... most likely they might go for one of those cute little chibified dinghys we all know and hate ;) Or if they have a sense of humor, a rowboat filled with treasure or one of those coconut rafts.

raft_17999_lg.gif

I'm impressed with the Universal Monster poster they look great. For me the only thing better then that Classic Dracula would be a Marvel Tomb Of Dracula with the pencil line moustache. But those Monster Mates are cool as a polar bears dangly bits.

The Pirate Poster is just full of WOW. The first thing that jumps in my mind looking at that we could at last get a Tricorn style hat for a minimate. I know it sounds strange but I could see no way for AA/DST to do a Tricorn hat for say a Spirit of 76. These Pirates give it more uses and maybe a crossover chance.

I can't even begin to explain how excited I am for HALO minimates. Just... Blown away. I love the designs and characters, and getting them in Minimate form is amazing. My personal hope is for them to continue the army-building trend. Release packs of generic Spartans and Elites in the different armours so that they would appeal to casual buyers and army builders....

And PIRATES!!!! AHHH!!! DST is amazing. Get some of Lukes Ninja decals to go along with it and we can all finally act out those battles we've dreamt of for years...

NR,I guess your link is to something new & expensive (my computer is on a go-slow tonight) .....these ships often sell (UK ebay) 'loose' for less than $20 often with 'the pirates missing' which I can assure you is a bonus . I have often paid more for shipping :P than the actual cost of the boat. These are over 30" long & over 24" tall & perfect Minimate scale.

I have to say that I hoped ...nay...expected... something along these lines for some while . Bingo!!

Edited by buttheadsmate