UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-Man 4

Mirymate

I'm gonna agree as well. I actually really liked the premise that Spectacular Spider-Man took:

Peter was biten on an end of the year class trip, and became Spider-Man over his summer vacation. The story actually begins with Pete returning to school the next fall, and trying to adjust the fact that despite everything being diferent about him, nothing has really changed in the HS pecking order. They mentioned Spidey's origin in VO, and and once in flashback, but never really got into it in full. The other addition was to Peter's life in addition to adjusting to being back in school was that after a summer of trouncing thugs and hoods, super-villains start appearing (largely created by their Kingpin substitute Tombstone to keep Spider-Man too busy to keep bothering his 'normal' criminals) and making things complicated.

To me that, or something like it, would be a way to go for a rebooted movie.

(they solved the Aunt May 'problem' similarly to the comics by playing heavily on his needing to go do his job taking pictures for the Bugle, though he still had to call and check in if he was going to be out past ten, even if he's in the middle of fighting Electro, and May did ground him at one point)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there's very little Spectacular Spiderman got wrong. I really loved every single episode and some of the plot twists were so obvious you wonder why no one had done it before. (Venom coming down on the shuttle, Black Cat being an intrigal part of Spidey's life [ :blackcat: ] ect ect) Parts of it were like watching SM3, especially the Venom arc, but... better. I really love that show. Too bad they canned it.

• 3 weeks later...

We were snowed in this weekend, amazing how little snow it takes to do that in North Carolina, but I digress. So since there's only so much playing in the snow even children can stand, we re-watched the Spider-Man movies. Several thoughts as we wait and see what the reboot will bring:

• Rosemary Harris was so perfect as Aunt May it really is scary. Good luck recasting that part, because I really, really doubt you're going to do better.
  • If you would have told me before the first one came out that J.K. Simmons' J.J.J. Jr. was going to be a consistent favorite for three movies, I would have laughed at you. Come on, the shrink from Law and Order? Really? Yes. Really. I'll miss that too.
  • This new movie won't make me cry. No, not anything that's supposed to be sad, like the death of Uncle Ben, or that powerful scene in SM2 with Peter's confession to Aunt May. No. See there has been twice in my life that a scene in a movie absolutely overwhelmed me to the point of tears for completely personal reasons that had nothing to do with the emotional intent of the scene. That scene where Peter swings of into the night after his uncle's killer was one of them. As a lifelong comics fan, I have seen that scene in my minds eye many, many times. And yeah, the costume was all wrong, but watching Spider-Man web swinging across New York for the first time, really web swinging like I'd always pictured it looking, in that moment the inner 8 y/o took over and I teared up. The new reboot may do it even more "correctly", with a proper Spidey suit and all, but that moment will never be recaptured for this viewer.

Not saying this reboot will be suck, but on several points it has an uphill battle. YMMV

Edited by Mirymate

• Rosemary Harris was so perfect as Aunt May it really is scary. Good luck recasting that part, because I really, really doubt you're going to do better.
  • If you would have told me before the first one came out that J.K. Simmons' J.J.J. Jr. was going to be a consistent favorite for three movies, I would have laughed at you. Come on, the shrink from Law and Order? Really? Yes. Really. I'll miss that too.

If they do use Ultimate as a source, May will be younger and more of a stern mom stand-in than the "classic" (worried old lady) Aunt May. And I hope so, as I've said before it's a great dynamic between her and Peter.

I had a similar reaction to the casting of Simmons back in the day, but instead because I think of him as the prison nazi guy from Oz!

Simmons is definitely the man. I know him best from his roles in Coen Bros. films, but he's definitely got a memorable and effective look and way about him.

Though this has nothing to do with Spidey necessarily, I say that Viggo Mortenson is over-due to play a villain of some kind in a Marvel film. He should be. . .someone. Kang, maybe.

That would be an interesting Spidey update--Spidey vs. Kang! :lol: That would give people their Kang Minimate, anyway, though I have no idea if the characters ever ran into each other in the comics. Probably not.

Edited by karamazov80

That would be an interesting Spidey update--Spidey vs. Kang! :lol: That would give people their Kang Minimate, anyway, though I have no idea if the characters ever ran into each other in the comics. Probably not.

Indirectly, yeah. One of Kang's early schemes involved infiltrating the Avengers with a Spider-Man robot. Spidey himself eventually had to deal with the "Timespinner" robot, even when it came back years later. (darn self-repair programs) And then presumably Spider-Man would have helped deal with Kang's all out invasion of the planet at the end of Busiek's run, but I can't specifically remember the cameo. Everybody else had one, so...

Though this has nothing to do with Spidey necessarily, I say that Viggo Mortenson is over-due to play a villain of some kind in a Marvel film.

Mortenson? If he was to be a Spider-Man character, I'd cast him as Morbius. He kinda looks like Morbius, he has the quiet intensity I'd always thought Morbius would have, and he can go batshit insane if he wants to (LOTR Mouth of Sauron scene or the Fire on the Weathertop scene.)

If he was to be ANY Marvel villain... He might make a good "Redeemed at the End" Molecule Man for the Fantastic Four.

After History of Violence and Eastern Promises, Viggo has probably become my second favorite working actor, after Gary Oldman. So many other better than average actors are getting cast in superhero movies (Oldman, Ian McKellen, Liam Neeson, Brian Cox, Ed Norton, Jeff Bridges, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, etc.). It's Viggo's turn. I say, make him the Red Skull or something.

Also, Albert Finney should appear as Mojo in the next X-picture.

Edited by karamazov80

After History of Violence and Eastern Promises, Viggo has probably become my second favorite working actor, after Gary Oldman. So many other better than average actors are getting cast in superhero movies (Oldman, Ian McKellen, Liam Neeson, Brian Cox, Ed Norton, Jeff Bridges, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, etc.). It's Viggo's turn. I say, make him the Red Skull or something.

Anyone think Ralph Feinnes could do Red Skull or do you think it would be too similar to Goeth?

As always the British guy is the shit........................ we're flattered :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
TTF, don't worry about it being in 3D. Nearly every movie is, have you seen this? :D

Tell me you WOULDN'T see that. Go ahead, tell me honestly with a straight face that "Piranha 3D" doesn't look awesome. :P

Sadly, everything IS in 3D nowadays. But it's wrong for Spidey. Especially when it's theRboot, that NEEDS to do well.

• This new movie won't make me cry. No, not anything that's supposed to be sad, like the death of Uncle Ben, or that powerful scene in SM2 with Peter's confession to Aunt May.

YES!no crying scene!I seen the first movie like a million times and I still cry!Sad part is im in grade 6,im not supposed to care about 'story' im supposed to care about 'action'.I was the only one crying during uncle ben's death scene IN CLASS!on friday.my class now says 'I am a baby because I cried during spider-man 1'

Sadly, everything IS in 3D nowadays. But it's wrong for Spidey. Especially when it's theRboot, that NEEDS to do well.

Why would 3D make the movie not do well? It just seems like another thing to make this movie stand out from the previous series. Besides, I thought Avatar was released in a non-3D version too?

Edited by battlecat

• 4 months later...