UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Disney buys Marvel

boyd

According to an article over on Newsarama, we might all be overreacting a bit. Outlining a conference call between investors and the figureheads behind the deal, it seems for the time being that Disney has no intention in sticking their fingers in the creative pot. It also stated that any third party deals Marvel has in place won't be affected, which likely means we'll keep getting Marvel Minimates for the foreseeable future.

Granted, we still have until 2010 before the deal is done and they said we might not see much in the way of noticeable difference until 2012 (cue the end of the world jokes), but in the short term, we should be safe.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't belive it. the people who created THE SUITE LIFE OF ZACK AND CODY :sick: and THE JONAS BROTHERS :down: taking over marvel! although i would like to see that punisher idea made into a film, i must say in the immortal word of luke sky walker: NOOOOOOO!

Edited by kurtman

i can't belive it. the people who created THE SUITE LIFE OF ZACK AND CODY :sick: and THE JONAS BROTHERS :down: taking over marvel! although i would like to see that punisher idea made into a film, i must say in the immortal word of luke sky walker: NOOOOOOO!

I don't know. If a company can make a success out of crap, imagine what they could do with something good. As good as Pixar is, I don't think they'd have the overall success they do if they hadn't had Disney backing it all. The films would have been nice, but they wouldn't have had the marketing/merchandise power that Disney brings.

And maybe the upcoming Tron movie might be upgraded to be Ul-Tron.

This was surprising, but I'm honestly not worried.

Disney also owns Miramax, which has released many mature-content films for the age demographics of adults and mature teens. I hardly believe this is going to cause the Marvel Universe to become the next Kingdom Hearts in terms of crossing over.

Haha, I was seriously skeptical of Kingdom Hearts being successful until I played it, Disney x Final Fantasy, really? I guess it wouldn't hurt to have Disney x Marvel Alliance games.

And in a move that will surprise everyone, Disney acquires Capcom and releases Street Fighter IV Minimates.

Ok, we will see these two comics, it's inevitable!

Spiderman meets Hannah Montana:

It's concert night at New York City where the one and only Hannah Montana will perform for a VIP audience! But how will this night turn out when Dr. Octopus kidnaps Ms. Montana? It's up to Spiderman to stop Doc Ock before he reveals Hannah's identity to the public! But what happens when both Hanna Montana and Spiderman's true identity's are revealed to each other?

JONAS/ Fantastic Four team-up:

The Jonas Brothers have noticed something strange about their new record producer, and only the Fantastic Four know what it is -- he's a Skrull! Can the Fantastic Four warn the Jonas Brothers before the Skrull replaces the brother's new album with a mind control CD? Can the Jonas Brothers warn the public in time?

why do theese sound good?

Seems like there’s a lot of cautious groans towards this piece of news, but I am excited about the possibilities. Not really about all the obvious blatant crossovers, but of the exposure and financial backing that Marvel will now get. I do believe that Disney respects Marvel and this will be a synergy of two groups, much like Pixar.

Of course, it's fun thinking up all the crazy meetings between different franchises. But the one crossover I am wishing for is Spidey & Mickey vs. Bats and Bugs (Batman & Bugs Bunny). The second wishful crossover I’m curious about is teenage Peter Parker in High School Musical. :D These team-ups are going to be fun!

Here's another one: The return of Gargoyles? :woot:

I could see this being a major possibility.

Slave Labor Graphics Gargoyles comic was a big seller for them, it got canned however because SLG couldn't afford renewing the licensing fees. Marvel actually had a Gargoyles comic that apparently sold decently enough back when the show was on TV but they too decided not to renew licensing fees.

No licensing fees: No problems keeping a Gargoyle comic going?

On topic though:

Anyone worried this will lead to a "kiddfying of Marvel properties" just stop, don't forget movies such as: "Pulp Fiction" and "Clerks" (full of dirty words, references to sexual acts, and in one of them brutal killings) through the 'Miramax' Brand (which has since left them) and a crapload of Jerry Bruckheimer movie through their 'Touchstone' Brand.

Disney keeps properties released under the "Disney" brand family friendly, but knows there's money in PG-13 and R rated material which is why they created Touchstone in the first place... what does this mean for comics? Marvel will probably publish some version of 'Disney Adventure' with friendly versions of Spider-man and Donald Duck comics in it playing up "this is THE DISNEY version!", while the main "Marvel" "Marvel Max" "Marvel Knights", etc imprints remain unchanged...

... I do wonder what this means for minimates, Universal Studios, and the films serieses. When it comes time to renew the Marvel license, will DST be able to afford it? It's probably going to go for Disney prices now. Is Universal Studios going to have to repaint their "Marvel Island of Adventure" to remove all references to Marvel? Like a sad local theme park has to do once whatever characters they used get bought up by a major brand (although, Universal IS bulding a Harry Potter park... maybe they can use the land for that.) Are the film rights going to be like the old Marvel Cartoons, does Disney get rights to them? I'd hate to never see an "Iron Man Film Series" box set because Paramount owns distrubtion rights to parts 1 and 2 and Disney owns rights to 3 through ?? like it's the Child's Play or Friday the 13th Series or something.

Disney also owns Miramax, which has released many mature-content films for the age demographics of adults and mature teens. I hardly believe this is going to cause the Marvel Universe to become the next Kingdom Hearts in terms of crossing over.

I agree. Surprising, but ultimately I will be surprised if anyone really notices the difference. Well, I guess former Marvel shareholders will notice the difference, but I have no idea how the dividend payouts compare.

They are also the people who created The Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdin, The Lion King and many many more CLASSICS so show some respect. I have no wish to sully(no pun intended) Pixar with The Punisher. I never cared for The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe.

I agree. Surprising, but ultimately I will be surprised if anyone really notices the difference. Well, I guess former Marvel shareholders will notice the difference, but I have no idea how the dividend payouts compare.

Thirty some odd dollars and .75 share in Disney per share of Marvel I think.

it cant be alll that bad...

if ya follow http://twitter.com/BrianLynch

the jokes steming from this have kept me going on a loong boring monday :biggrin:

Fun/interesting Marvel twitter roundup here. So far it sounds like the Pixar deal, ie. no interference in creative.

That site also posted this great picture:

post-1800-1251749341_thumb.jpg

Edited by battlecat

Ohmigod, the Disney/Marvel crossover possibilities you could mine for the upcoming Hunt contest...

There's an upcoming Hunt contest? :blink:

T.

p.s. The only good thing I could see from this is if marvel zombies visit the disney verse and eat mickey alive & and only Donald with help from Howard save the day!!!!!!!

I really do wonder about how minimates will be affected on this whole deal. <_< Hell, i wonder whats gonna happen to all those movies and direct to DVD movies that are coming out.

Right. Well. Disney, I love you guys, love ya to death, but just stay away from the Ultimate Universe and Thor. And to Marvel crossovers, stay away from Thor.

As long as Disney doesn't d**k around in those categories, yeah I'm good. Other than that, yeah Disney hasdone some sheer badassery (Maleficent Dragon anyone?) and I hope they can bring some of that creative talent to some of the Marvel books that may be lacking in it. And maybe, just maybe, Disney will have the balls to get rid of Jeph Loeb and get a writer whose talent box isn't empty.

Or force him to finish Captain America: White.

Either one is good with me.