UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

Giraffe and Cobra are the standouts for me, but they're all amazing. The Shark is killer, and I love that they actually made a COW look fierce (although, I would have prefered sculpting on the chest piece instead of just a tampo) ... And yes, I concur with Nervous that this wave takes it up a notch by taking the 'less is more' approach.

I was okay with one of each of the first wave, but this wave is begging me to army build several different characters. I'm so glad they didn't stop at the first wave yes.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Series 2 really does look more like a minimate line and that is great. Series 1 was new and unexpected and pushed DST to their sculpting limits but this one seems to be able to make them minimates with sculpted parts rather than action figures with minimate parts. All in all, these look fantastic and it seems that i'll have to go back and hunt down some of the series 1 beasts to broaden my collection (i currently have only series 1 and i'd like to army build some characters).

Nice to see the Batman & Robin nod made it into the set!

Most looking forward to the Giraffe, Bear, and Robin! (and Yay No Insects!)

....I didn't even notice that the bird is wearing a Robin Outfit! I think that set just jumped up to #1 want :)

TRU passed on these gems? These are awesome! I think I need an extra King Cobra to cut off the armor for a Dreamscape custom :) I dont think I can pick a favorite, theyre all great. Anubis, Mad Cow, Giraffe, Cobra, etc. Fantastic. I think I'll be army building as well. I hope the Bear head fits on the SFxT mate.

Wow! I am so excited! This is the news I was waiting for. I was holding out hope that we would see these guys released. Here's what I see thus far:

Very, very pleasantly surprised to see the Giraffe in series 2. We saw control art for him back at C2E2 last year, and while giraffes are not my favorite animal, he was one of my favorite beasts shown. He had such a great feel and charm to him that I really liked.

I am loving that Cobra. Really nice, clean design that builds quite nicely off of the rattlesnake we got in series 1. The sculpting on the face has a great, evil cobra look to it. And that chest plate armor has a fantastic, serpent/organic styling to it.

The cow, oh man the cow. I think he looks great. Much better than I was expecting out of a Cow action figure. The color scheme and paint job on him are really nicely done. He doesn't have a weapon pictured in this article, but I really hope that he still has the pitchfork weapon that we saw in the control art. There's just that bit of charm and whimsy that was always present in the original battle beasts, and I like how the cow and the giraffe have started to capture a bit of that charm. My only little complaint, as someone already mentioned, I wish the strap/buckle on the chest piece was a sculpted piece instead of an entirely printed piece. I could be wrong, but I thought I remember from the control art that it was originally going to be just a standard minimate body with a tampo, not even a bulked up chest piece. But maybe I am wrong. But the bulked up chest piece is better than just the standard torso. Also, I will be getting two of these. One to sculpt on a bell around his neck. He won't seem complete without it.

The bear is really nicely done. I like the resemblance you were able to get to his comic book appearance. The figure has some nice girth to him that matches a larger animal.

The hammerhead shark is great. He's thicker than I was imagining, but now getting clearer pictures of him, I think it works well. The face has tons of personality sculpted in.

The Anubis figure is looking really nice, although for my tastes, I will have to have a second copy of him to armor up fully to fit my personal tastes.

The bat is a nice figure. The bat is a nice re-release of a great figure from series 1. And I really like the new black and grey color scheme on him.

The robin is the only figure in this series that I am not completely sold on. I get the references to Robin from Batman, however I am not sure if it translates well to a battle beast minimate. I am certainly excited to see splashes of color on the figure, but the green claws and feet feel a bit odd, and the chest armor feels a bit too smooth and basic compared to all the incredible detail found in the other battle beast armors. Personally, I would rather have seen the Cheetah stay, and the robin get cut. For me, that would have made this series 2 near perfection.

That brings up the two figures that are now missing that we saw at SDCC last year. I am really sad to see that the Cheetah was removed from this series. Granted the only pictures I saw of the figure were control art and blurring pics form SDCC, but from what I could see of him, he had a really design to him. The other figure we lost was the human. I forget what his name was, but he was Bliss's boss that wields the dread weapons. Honestly, I am really glad they removed him. I could understand why Bliss and Tate were made for the LCS series 1, but moving forward, I really think that the line needs to be animal warriors through and through. Any humans would detract from the appeal of the line in my opinion.

I think DST has done a really nice job utilizing previous pieces from series 1 and combining it with new sculpted pieces to come up with a great variety of characters here. I can spot of lot of pieces from gruntos, vorin, merk, the snake, etc... But at the same time, they all tie in very nicely with the new pieces, that you really have to look for them to notice them.

I liked series 1 quite a bit, but I am liking this series much more. As someone said, they may have over-reached a touch with series 1, but this series is starting to strike a nice balance between the simplicity of a minimate form, and the nice sculpting of the animal warrior pieces. I think that this series is much more cohesive and successful in creating a line of animal warrior minimates. If there is one critique that I would have for the series, it's that I feel like the color schemes of the Battle Beast armors are relying too much of metallics/golds and neutral colors. I think a line like this, with so much sculpted detail, needs to pop when displayed in package to catch potential customers. Bring in more colors. Blues, reds, yellows, greens, purples, all have great potential for armor colors. Right away, visually, the cow is the most successful figure in this series, and a major part of that is the nice, baby blue armor his has. When you look at that blue armor contrasting against the golds/browns/greys, he just really stands out and leaps forward at you. That's probably the reason why he was positioned front and center for the promo shot. I would love to see more color schemes with great color contrast to really help these figures stand out.

Zach, you guys over at DST have me very excited. I was holding out hope that we would eventually get to see these series 2 figures. Now, I have to wait for the summer time to purchase these. Where ever I can preorder these, as soon as I can, I will. I hope these are at C2E2 so that I can see them in person in a couple of months.

Eric

While I'll likely still pick this series up for parts and to support the line in hopes of a series three the only thing that comes to mind looking at them is how disappointing. Loosing the cheetah in exchange for a giraffe or the cobra wasn't worth it.

As if loosing the cheetah wasn't bad enough there is the fact that Anubis no longer has proper lower legs instead he has human type boots. If he still has the legs he had in the control art and the boots and legs are extra parts then I retract my objection to the figure. However, the bear had better still have his giant cleaver/sword because if he is left with the cheetah's weird axe then it is really adding insult to injury.

Like I said I'm still going to get them but I just can't be as excited as I was with the prototypes and control art.

If we didn't re- use parts, this wave would likely not exist. We have conservative expectations, so we have to keep new tooling within certain parameters.

I think the parts reused here were clevely done. No complaints here. I am really hoping these sell well enough to get us more waves of battle beasts. I like what i am seeing here, and now i want to see more takes on different animals. I'd love to see a lizard/chameleon battle beast down the line.

As soon as we can put some preorders in, i know ill be getting atleast 2 sets.