UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Series 31 & 32 pics

Valo487

i dont know if its just me but has anyone noticed the the kree soldier unmasked looks somewhat like keanu reeves?or is it just me

The Kree Soldier looks wooden and out of place in period costume dramas?

Yeah, but he's great in Point Break... and Bel-Dann and Ted's Excellent Adventure

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Puts on staff hat)

I remember when this thread was on topic...

I'm happy for folks to digress for a while but two pages of avengers waves/army builders and wooden actor talk is prob straying a little to long esp when we already have threads for most of those topics...

T.

These two wave do have one drawback to me. I LOVE the character selection, and can't think of one I'd remove from these two waves... that said I really wish we'd get more than one bad guy and one evil army builder per 16 minimates. Like I said, it's an odd disappointment, but there it is.

I project my disdain for Liefeld onto Cable. So, he's kind of a bad guy. He certainly represents something really horrible. As does X-23's nature as a transparent attempt to capitalize on the success of Wolverine and "hot" comic babes. :yucky:

Actually X-23 has a lot in common with Firestar.

Both are characters that first appeared in a cartoon series before before movie into the 616.

In the early 2000's, the character of X-23 was created for the X-men: Evolution show. (probably my absolute hands down favorite re-interpretation of the X-Men) In the show Hydra decided they wanted their own Wolverine, and since he was forever bleeding on everything, getting a DNA sample wasn't hard. They tried 22 to get a successful clone, but it wasn't until the 23rd try when the scientist tried removing the Y chromosome did they clone prove viable. They trained her to be their assassin, put her through the Weapon X process, and started sicking her on SHIELD. It was in raiding SHIELD's data banks she learned of Wolverine, and he helps free her of Hydra's control. In the show, she's depicted as a girl in her very early teens, if not younger as she had no curves to speak of.

I mention that because when they brought the concept of X-23 over to the 616, suddenly she had the body of an underwear model despite their saying she's physically only 14/15. 616 X-23 also omits Hydra as the contractor on her creation, and implies it's just those wacky Weapon X people still trying to get them a killer Wolverine under their control. But the basics, that this girl was raised only as a weapon, with little or no actual social context holds true. X-23 did briefly have something resembling a home life with one of her creators, Sara Kinney. Sara felt sorry for the girl and wanted to give her a real home, her creators realized they had overemphasized some areas of training and the girl was useless for infiltration missions as she had no concept of 'normal'. Sara rebelled and tried to run away with X-23, whom she named Laura, the creators activated a trigger in X-23 and caused her to kill Sara. But "Laura" runs away anyway and after a series of adventures is found by the X-Men. And like the stalwart heroes they are, Cyclops puts her with her "father" on his X-Force team so she can kill all the people he tells her too and no one will complain. Unlike the cartoon, where they are trying to teach her NOT to kill. <_<

Leifield Cabel... ... yeah hate all you want on that. ;)

Edited by Mirymate

The Firestar analogy may go one step further, since as I recall, her creation seems to have been based out of an inability/unwillingness to use the Human Torch in that role. So, she was incredibly derivative. But creating a "clone" similar to a very popular character in all but a couple of important ways (being a female and only having two claws in the case of X-23) is still lazy and tiresome in my opinion. I don't mean to hate on people who are fans of her comics. But there is one common theme of many modern comics--good writers can take a crappy idea and make it work. That doesn't mean that the idea isn't crappy. See--return of Bucky and Green Lantern.

inability more than unwillingness.

Somehow the Human Torch became ensnared in a serious licensing snafu in the late 60's / early 70's. Marvel wanted a Torch solo cartoon, the deal fell apart, but whoever they sold the rights to refused to release them despite not developing the promised show. This kept Johnny out of the Fantastic Four cartoon of the era, and led to the creation of HERBIE. (no despite what you may have heard, they weren't worried about kids lighting themselves on fire) Marvel thought they'd gotten that worked out, but found out they had to pull the Torch out at the last minute. So basically they gave MJ, who was already going to be on the show as the girl all three were chasing, Torch-like powers and new name. The only alternative was to cancel the whole production,which would have robbed us of one for the true masterworks of 80's Saturday morning fair. :rolleyes:

Just me, but I don't find X-23 any more derivative than say, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, or Batgirl.

(trying to keep this on topic, T, honest) :whistling:

Has anyone heard anything on Angelgate from DST? As I feared, the price of the Silver Age Angel set is slowly creeping up on eBay...

The vibe I'm getting it's a case of opps we screwed up! but it wont be addressed.

To be honest IMO there are several places out there that are happily selling full sets of 8 so it's not such a huge issue.

T.

Has anyone heard anything on Angelgate from DST? As I feared, the price of the Silver Age Angel set is slowly creeping up on eBay...

The vibe I'm getting it's a case of opps we screwed up! but it wont be addressed.

To be honest IMO there are several places out there that are happily selling full sets of 8 so it's not such a huge issue.

T.

You must not have been one of us that had that set as part of a pre-order that wasn't filled! <_<

I ended up finding a full wave on eBay, but had to pay $10 a pack (and one of those, Black Bolt and Captain Marvel, was a duplicate set since I buy 'Mates at TRU too). In the grand scheme of life not a huge issue, but in the Minimate Mulitiverse we live in I believe that it should be addressed since it is keeping some from completing their Silver Age X-Men team. I think that the box sets should have been 5-packs in the first place because TRU exclusivity (X-Factor Angel) and screwed up variant ratios (Silver Age Angel) have kept a lot of Angels out of the collectors' hands and a lot of Minimate X-teams at 80% completion.

I think that DST has outperformed a lot of much larger toy companies in the Customer Service area and I just don't understand why they haven't spoken on the matter. If the Angel figures weren't needed to complete the teams, I'd be OK with nobody talking. For whatever reason Angel was needed for the teams, but not included in the box sets. If that was a marketing strategy to sell more 'Mates in more places (AFX, TRU, etc), it was an epic fail...

just got mine today. maybe i should've paid more attention to the boards and would've known this sooner, but i really thought these came with clear flying things like silver surfer. pretty disappointed that they dont.

Yeah - someone posted pics on Art Asylum's facebook page showing silver-age angel on a flight stand http://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-Asylum/76429063224?ref=ts . . . i was kind of hoping they'd come with them too upon seeing that, but after looking at the pics on MiniMateDataBase.com, it's apparent that they don't :(

Just got my sets from AFX today. and not really looking through this thread much in awhile I couldn't place what was off on the Cap Britain Minimate. then I realised the white lines on the slip over mask wheren't there. At first I was bummer a bad batch of minimates have slipped but looking at the photo's here it seems every one is the same.

Sorry if this has been brought up I tried scanning back a few pages of the thread but saw no mention of it.

I have yet to see these in the flesh but if Ivan will forgive me I realised some while ago that Captain Britain is lacking far more than just 'white lines' after seeing the packaging picture ......especially the one of Cap on the RIGHT side of the packet............

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/pack.php?i=619

This wave had the chance to be one of the best Minimate waves ever but the only thing perfect was the packaging which bears no relation to what is packed within.

When we eventually get some explanation of what happened with the Angels perhaps somebody'll explain what happened to Cap Brit's red & BLUE mask with 'ears' defined in white lines.

I have been angry about this but so what.....who listens ??

I have been angry about this but so what.....who listens ??

<Luke Skywalker voice> I care!

That's a shame about Capt. Britain's mask. I thought I could live without the white line, but now... that's a lot of good detail that got axed.

Captain Britain's alteration likely stems from a business perspective. How many times would one mask have to run through the machine to apply all the details that wrap all the way around the mask? That's the reason we don't see lines on top of Spidey's head and the reason that detail lines (and sometimes details themselves) don't wrap around the sides torsos.

I'm not saying its excusable, I'm just saying that it was probably an effort to keep costs down at the expense of ticking off the knowledgeable Captain Britain fans. Maybe they figured no one would notice since CB can't keep a book going at Marvel, but then they went and used the prototype for the packaging shot. Wouldn't be the first time a figure came out different than what was expected due to budget.

I assumed that the missing white lines on Captain Britain were a manufacturing error. It's not like the wave was error-free, with the variant snafu and such.

It's too bad they're missing - they really made the mask look much more defined and nicer.

So I am sitting here looking at my sealed Goliath/Kree set that I havent gotten around to opening yet and keep thinking that something isnt right about it....then it hits me - there is no cover tray over the mate! I can reach through the window and touch the mates!! what an odd error lol

Jeff of the Miniacs

Captain Britain's alteration likely stems from a business perspective. How many times would one mask have to run through the machine to apply all the details that wrap all the way around the mask? That's the reason we don't see lines on top of Spidey's head and the reason that detail lines (and sometimes details themselves) don't wrap around the sides torsos.

I'm not saying its excusable, I'm just saying that it was probably an effort to keep costs down at the expense of ticking off the knowledgeable Captain Britain fans. Maybe they figured no one would notice since CB can't keep a book going at Marvel, but then they went and used the prototype for the packaging shot. Wouldn't be the first time a figure came out different than what was expected due to budget.

First of all I'm not a particularly knowledgable Captain Britain fan & in the scale of things not that worried .The Captain Britain comic book recent run IMO was lamentable ......although I fail to see why that should matter. I am as English as you could posssibly be with Welsh,Scottish & (heaven forbid) Irish blood running through my veins .....this again is not that important apart from the simple fact that Captain Britain's costume & consequentially his mask is based on the FLAG OF BRITAIN ,the Union flag.....which just happens to be red,white & blue ....red ,white & blue stripes are featured .

Quite simply......I just noticed it was wrong

If things are so tight at DST perhaps they could leave the star off of Captain America's shield or just not bother with giving Thor a hammer ........maybe extra pigmentation costs are stopping us getting The Falcon????

We obviously disagree drgnbrn316 .......I think it is inexcusable.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm not saying its excusable.

Don't those mean the same thing?

I agree with you that it sucks if they aren't doing the figures properly to save a buck. I'm just saying that that is likely the reasoning behind the detail taking a turn south.

I'm not saying its excusable.

Don't those mean the same thing?

I agree with you that it sucks if they aren't doing the figures properly to save a buck. I'm just saying that that is likely the reasoning behind the detail taking a turn south.

They do mean the same don't they :yes: