UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain America - Reborn

dj87

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love Steve Rogers, I wanted to see Bucky in the role longer. Ed Brubaker's Bucky is one of the best written characters in Marvel comics today. He will obviously stick around in one form or another, but his inner turmoil as Cap has been well-written and very memorable. Thank goodness they are letting Brubaker handle Steve Roger's return. There is no one else I would rather have telling this story.

These are tough news in some way, I guess.

Cap's death was a very unique moment in Marvel's history - at least as far as I did participate it - both in it's emotional and it's MU-history sense. Many things changed, many characters developed in special ways because of it and many events educed from that very moment. And - and for me that was somehow important - Marvel seemed to be serious about letting die one of their most important/famose/favorite/etc. characters. It's the usual way that (superhero) characters die and are reborn all the time. ("most of us have been thinking when will they resurrect Steve Rogers, not if") And to be honset, I don't like it. I really do loved the moment Mockingbird recently came back - and it even was something like a plausible way Marvel did let her return - but knowing that they come back everytime, the whole tragedy of one's death is getting more and more meaningless. And boring. Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure that I'll love the moment when Steve returns and I'll love to see him again, but with Cap being (and staying) dead, they could have shown that a character's death might mean that he/she actually is gone. I would be worried about characters - even the bigger ones. And I must admit that I was naive enough to truly believe Cap would stay dead (this time) regarding all those changes they did lately...

Still I'm both, happy to get to see him again, and a little disappointed beacuse of Marvel's consequence in being inconsequential...

However, reading - just as Luke pointed out - that Brubaker is going to write that story will be a very good choise!

I hope the Steve loyalists are happy now. All that's left for Marvel to do is restore Iron Man to his former glory, resurrect Jean Grey and Wasp, maybe retcon Avengers Disassembled onwards out of existence and the Earth-616 status quo should be golden. :P

At least we got our Bucky Cap Minimate already.

To Bob's point, call me old fashioned, but I don't think a serious threat of death is important for a story, and feel that a good writer can write stories without having to integrate the death of major characters into the equation. No one ever thought, in their wildest dreams, that Spiderman or Batman would ever die, and they never will. Does that make their good stories any less engrossing? The character can fear death, but I don't think the reader needs to feel the same (regarding the character, of course). Personally, I wish they would just reserve comic deaths to lesser characters if not doing away with it altogether. I know there are some great stories dealing with death, etc., but I also agree with Bob that the constant resurrections are just so predictable and boring that I'm sick of it. No death is ever permanent. Marvel and DC love to "shock" us and sell comics because of huge deaths, but I know that they don't mean anything. So, what point does death serve in comics? I say, just remove the facade and stop killing people.

Edited by karamazov80

We all knew this was coming. But it does seem a little soon. I mean, what, Captain Bucky has only completed 2 maybe three whole adventures as Cap?

To Bob's point, call me old fashioned, but I don't think a serious threat of death is important for a story, ...

That wasn't what I was trying to say. I don't need any hero (or villain) to die at all, but if Marvel/DC/Dark Horse*/Whoever writes a characters's death, please let him or her R.I.P. and stop resurrecting since these, oh, wait a minute:

the constant resurrections are just so predictable and boring that I'm sick of it. No death is ever permanent. Marvel and DC love to "shock" us and sell comics because of huge deaths, but I know that they don't mean anything. So, what point does death serve in comics? I say, just remove the facade and stop killing people.

That was what I tried to say. :P

______

* Regarding Dark Horse/Mignola's work:

BPRD's Roger the Homunculus

died and he keeps being dead and I bet he won't return.

Edited by Bob Harris

This is quite the disappointment for me. I thought that Marvel might actually be able to keep someone dead for awhile with this one. I've always found that DC respects death a lot more than Marvel, and I was hoping this would change that... But it obviously didn't.

Lame.

I've always found that DC respects death a lot more than Marvel, and I was hoping this would change that... But it obviously didn't.

Lame.

Really? Really?

Barry just came back this year. You know, the guy we watched die on panel twenty years ago.

DC invented the Hypertime concept so they could bring people back and not explain it.

DC has killed off almost every major member of the Justice League at one point or another, and then revived them.

Not counting GA JSAers, the only people who they've killed, and not revived yet are schedued to come back this summer.

In fact major injuries, like blindness or broken backs are often reversed within a years time. Except Barbara Gordon, who must have just really karmically cheesed someone off to still be stuck in that chair. I mean both Bruce and John Stewart got out of their wheelchairs, why not her right?

DC has even commented in story that no one attends superhero funeral anymore, because they figure they'll be back eventually.

Not to mention the fact that DC seems to consider continuity as something of a joke. I keep wondering when "52 Ultimate Final Crises Of Infinite Multi-Earths" will come out eventually.

Back on topic: Maybe they'll recoup Cap's return by killing somebody else major off... :ohmy:

Back on topic: Maybe they'll recoup Cap's return by killing somebody else major off... :ohmy:

Heh.

They resurrect Cap and then kill Bucky again so the scales will be balanced.

(although I read on Joey Q's blog a while ago the off hand comment "well I just signed off on killing the Falcon" and have been waiting with dread ever since)

Nah, I'm actually thinking they might kill off a certain somebody who screwed up royally as far as his actions for the past few years were concerned... because Marvel needs one of its big guns back and because, you know, redemption equals death. (Not that I actually want this guy dead of course!!!!! :ermm:)

But seriously though, I want them to keep Bucky. But if Steve really is coming back then obviously it wouldn't be feasible for Bucky to stay Captain America any longer... still, re-killing the guy would be pretty damn drastic and stupid. Maybe they can always give Bucky a new costumed identity like U.S. Agent... heck, maybe he'll even revert to his Winter Soldier persona. Winter Soldier was bad-ass.

Nah, I'm actually thinking they might kill off a certain somebody who screwed up royally as far as his actions for the past few years were concerned... because Marvel needs one of its big guns back and because, you know, redemption equals death. (Not that I actually want this guy dead of course!!!!! :ermm:)

They're not killing Tony. (they did that already, and he'd even killed 2 more good guys that time than this)

And you know what? At the start of Civil War, Tony was actually right, and Cap was the jerk.

But you weren't suppossed to see it that way, so Tony had to do some really stupid, evil things so Cap's postition would not have seemed so ignorant.

And of course everything Tony was doing all those morally questionable things to try to prevent happened anyway.

Haha, ya see, i was there for the NYCC Panel, the last one of the enitre Con, and it was Marvel talking about everything going onat the time and what we wanted to see in the future. Well i knew someone was going to ask "When is Steve coming back; long live Rogers!!" and everyone literally jumped out of their chairs and started shouting "NOs" at the guy. I hated the idea of Steve returning soon, and thought that Marvel wouldn't listen.

And here we are. No, just no. Is this supposed to be meaningful to Steve?! He's been gone 2 years; look at Barry Allen; dead for like 15 or more. And he's welcomed. 2 years is nowhere close to enough, and i too like Bucky better. Will Steve always be MY Captain America?? Yes. Do i want him to take up the mantle again?? Yes. Do i want this NOW?? HELL. NO. :angry:

I've wanted him back the day he died. Cap has always been my favorite hero, because he's an icon and because he is the flat out definition of a hero. I've always had a little spark of hatred towards Marvel for killing him. So much has happened in this two years that he's died, and him back may just be one step towards the Marvel universe I've always wanted. Just "fun" stories of all the heroes teaming up to fight Ultron or Kang, not this divided and fake superheroes bullshit.

In fact major injuries, like blindness or broken backs are often reversed within a years time. Except Barbara Gordon, who must have just really karmically cheesed someone off to still be stuck in that chair. I mean both Bruce and John Stewart got out of their wheelchairs, why not her right?

DC has even commented in story that no one attends superhero funeral anymore, because they figure they'll be back eventually.

Barbara Gordon is (so far) one of the shinging examples of talented writers working WITH comic book history, instead of AROUND it! We all knew Cap would be back - but as almost everyone else has already said, i too was hoping we'd have to endure at least a few more years without him. It's not that i don't like the character, i just feel that we're only just now feeling the real impacts of his death. It's sinking in now. There is so much other stuff happening in the MU right now - why not let it play out before starting a new, crazy adventure to bring back the dead. . . again.

I'm English,why the heck* should I have any affinity to Captain America yet loathe the current Captain Britain rubbish* ?

The reason for my new love of Captain America (the comic) is that even before Rogers died the story-telling was marvellous (pun completely intended).

Since he's died ....well I've said it all before in other threads..the story-lines have opened up the other characters & ....if your really watching this comic-book ...Steve Rogers may live again but I reckon there are far more 'twists in this tale' than are immediately obvious to those who are just casual readers . We'll see ....Crikey* what would I know?

For emphasis I'd never been a CA fan until I was given a few copies months back.....got hooked ...& have since completed my post-Tales of Suspense comic collection (to date)....that's the comics not the TPBs. Some of it is dire* but most of it is brilliant ....what an icon! Almost makes me want to get a green-card...almost :lol:

*not the words I was wanting to use but I'm currently under MMMV house-arrest for profanities....amongst other allegations :D

Free the Multiverse 6....Now :lol:

I reckon there are far more 'twists in this tale' than are immediately obvious to those who are just casual readers . We'll see ....Crikey* what would I know?

Yeah, I figure there will be more to the story than meets the eye, but I also know that at the end of the day, Steve will be back, and that's all that really matters.

Thank goodness they are letting Brubaker handle Steve Roger's return. There is no one else I would rather have telling this story.

The story always has to come first. I have been wowed by Brubaker's run so far. It all feels organic and builds well upon itself AND the Marvel Universe as a whole. While it does seem too soon to bring Steve back, if it means Brubaker is the one doing it, I'm for it. I've got faith he can bring Steve back just as well as he brought Bucky back, killed Steve, and had Bucky become Cap. If he can successfully accomplish those three things, I'm pretty sure he can bring Steve back in the right way.

Like many other Steve Rogers was my introduction to comics there was a hardback copy of Captain America's origin story in the library at my elementary school that I checked out at least once a week while in grades 2-4. I was super pissed when Steve was killed but I must say that Bucky's adventures as Cap have been fantastic and while I can't wait for the return of the true Captain America I hope that they find an appropriate place for Bucky in the 616.

Clearly not the board consensus, but I actually preferred Cap as a dead icon... something for the other characters, including Bucky-Cap, to try to live up to.

Either way, it does seem really soon to bring him back. Which is surprising since Marvel have been pretty good with this stuff in recent years. Jean Grey's been dead for quite a while now (well, unless she's that Cable baby, I haven't kept up with that storyline). And they kept Thor out of commission just long enough that it made his return a big deal, which was brilliant considering nobody gave a crap about Thor before he died (I mean in the actually buying comic books sense, not abstractly caring about the character).

Oh well, as long as Cap-Comeback doesn't turn out to be a Skrull :yucky:

Ehh, Skrull doubles are old hat.

I'm really intrigued as to how Brubaker will bring Steve back. Magic? Cloning? Time travel? One of the Infinity Gems? Another poorly-thought-out Mephisto gambit? Improbable weather conditions causing a frozen human heart to start right back up again? Was never dead all along? :huh:

What do you guys think? What would be the least ridiculous way to bring Steve back?

Clearly not the board consensus, but I actually preferred Cap as a dead icon... something for the other characters, including Bucky-Cap, to try to live up to.

Interesting, I'm not sure I prefer that they killed him but seeing as they killed him then I do agree that he has become even more of a legend now and bringing him back means he looses some of that status.

My opinion is that they should leave him dead longer and let things play out. I do wonder if the whole "Cap is an Icon from a a simpler less complex time' will mean his reapearance with tie in with the end of the current dark reign?

T.