UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Charitymates 3: Everyone loves a trilogy...

Fujis

Great character choices so far guys! Can't wait to see the work-in-progress! I've already assembled most of the pieces I'll need for good ol' Sherlock...

Thanks to everyone that's signed up so far, this project is nothing without your generous participation! I'm hoping to get at least twenty participants this year and raise more money than the two previous projects did. Raising any money for charity is a good thing, I just want to build on our previous success.

In terms of a charity, I've invited Book Aid International to join eBay Giving Works and if they do, I'd like us to support them this year. If not, I think we should go with Luke's initial suggestion of Books for Kids.

As for 'broadening the scope' of the project: Luke has offered to run a piece over on his wicked site the Minimate Factory, our good friend and Minimate-dealer Jason from Stuckakid said they'd put links up on their site to the current project thread and the auctions once they're up, and I've just posted some info over on the TNI forums. Is anyone here a member over at The Fwoosh or Raving Toy Maniac? It'd be nice to post something over there.

but if i can do tin man unit 117 id be ok with you making nemo

What's the 'unit 117' mean?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raving Toy Maniac? It'd be nice to post something over there.

I'm over there quite a bit. Let me know when and what you want to post and I'll talk to the mods about doing a news item.

Thanks Lobsterman! Once we've got the charity nailed down and the promotional image from MinimateEspo25 we can go ahead and see if we can get some coverage.

And if anyone wants to post something about the project on other forums, here's what I posted over at TNI (you can cut 'n' paste the html code after you hit 'quote' and 'reply'):

Charitymates III: The Mind's Eye (April 1-July 1)

Custom Minimates of some of your favorite literary characters lifted right off the page and filtered through the imagination!

The third annual Charitymates project has just begun and I wanted to invite all of the Minimate customizers here at TNI to join!

The Charitymates project works like this: Customizers create a custom Minimate based on a theme and then the customs are auctioned off on eBay with 75% of the proceeds going to a charitable organization (through eBay Giving Works and MissionFish) and 25% going to the owner/operator of the Minimate Multiverse forum where the project is run from.

The first Charitymates project was called 'Monsters for Blood' - we created monster Minimates and chose to support America's Blood Centers. The second project was called 'Manimals for the Animals' - we created anthropomorphic animal Minimates and supported the World Wildlife Fund.

For this year's project, 'The Mind's Eye', we will create literary characters from fiction or fairy tale (as long as they're public domain) and we are still deciding which charity to support but it will most likely be Books for Kids or Book Aid International.

If you'd like to create and donate a custom Minimate for the project, sign up over on the Minimate Multiverse forums and reply in the Charitymates III thread.

Thanks!

I'll be doing Odysseus from The Odyssey :)

Ah! You suck! I was going to do either Odysseus or Achilles. Kidding about the suck thing. Great choice!

dibs on Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde.

As I mentioned, I'd like to stay away from 'monster' characters as well thoroughly covered this ground in the 'Monsters for Blood' project.

My suggestion is this: If we were considering characters from stories like 'Frankenstein' or 'Little Red Riding Hood' for the 'MfB' project we would have made Frankenstein and the Wolf; for The Mind's Eye I'd like us to focus on the other characters, in this case: Dr. Frankenstein and Little Red Riding Hood (or the grandma, the woodsman, etc.).

Edited by Fujis

dibs on Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde.

As I mentioned, I'd like to stay away from 'monster' characters as well thoroughly covered this ground in the 'Monsters for Blood' project.

My suggestion is this: If we were considering characters from stories like 'Frankenstein' or 'Little Red Riding Hood' for the 'MfB' project we would have made Frankenstein and the Wolf; for The Mind's Eye I'd like us to focus on the other characters, in this case: Dr. Frankenstein and Little Red Riding Hood (or the grandma, the woodsman, etc.).

I was not planning on making the Universal monster/League of Extra Ordinary Gentlemen/Marvel version of Jekyll/Hyde

I was thinking about it more in terms of the how the muscial handles Hyde in that he's physically identical to Jekyll just changes his outfit and has a different body language to him (which in minimate translates to I assume a dual-sided face tempo with a second hair piece/coat to turn Jekyll to Hyde), which I think better reflects the point of "dual natures of one person" in the story better then the idea of Jekyll physically transforming into Hyde which makes the story more "I created a monster... who is not me but just swtiches places with me" like he's SHAZAM! or something.

If non-supernatural Jekyll/Hyde is off the table I'm not in.

C'mon 'dr baghead' that's not the way is it? Google 'non-public domain characters' & the first inspiring characters you see are 'Frankenstein' & 'Dracula' for 'f*cks sake' !! I would love to have done either but 'rules is rules' & Fujis spelled it out 'no monsters'. Next thing I saw was Conan ,believe it or not ,but the 'legality' was dubious so......

You can do better than "I'm not in" ...surely? Give it some more thought. Please. ;)

Edited by buttheadsmate

Technically Mr Hyde is not a monster. He is a man of short stature with a disfigurement. Only movies (such as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) depict him as a monster.

Just thought I'd chime in and mention that.

I certainly won't turn away people who want to donate their time and work to this project! All I'm saying is that the choice of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde (who is a monster-type character IMHO) would have fit better thematically in the 'Monsters for Blood' project.

If you are set on this character choice, I welcome your contribution but I would encourage you to have a look through some fairy tales or classic literature and see if there is another character that you would be interested in that would fit better with the theme and with the other character choices.

Confrontation

Yeah in the Universal Monsters movie Hyde is a monster, but in the musical (has demonstrated with questionable skill by the Hoff in said clip) he is NOT a monster. (at least not in the "transformation into a deformed person" sense, he's a murder so I guess he's a monster in that sense you can call a murder a "monster"... but if being a murder makes you a monster by defination any and all pirates from literature must be banned as well)

maybe my view of Hyde is taunted by the musical and it's trying to find a way to let the actor change 'character' on the fly, but I don't find anything in the story that would imply he's a monster, especially when the book is about a PERSONALITY change, a goodman becoming a cold blooded killer. Granted the monsterous Hyde is a fun concept and it's nice ito use when one wants to focus more on Hyde since it makes him visually interesting, but I don't think his turning into a deformed hunchback/hulking giant is really a key part of the character that if taken way destroys the concept.

I don't know the musical - although I am German which practically makes me a disciple of the Hoff -, but as far as I remember Stevenson's novel, Mr. Hyde isn't visually very different from Dr. Jekyll, though even one of the first stage adaptions already worked with the visual difference. (In the actor's habitus that is. Pic.)

In that sense I'd support Bagheads suggestion. But I although think Fujis' right and I think there are very brightful characters in literature that would work great as Minimates and won't be connected to Monsters in the first place.

Hey all, I need a hand with my Charitymates 3 custom. Does anybody have an extra Joker jacket piece from the chemical warehouse or the Batcave versions of him? I know I should ask in the flea market section, but this is more relevant to the current project. So if anybody can help me out, please send me a PM. Thanks all.

Thanks Bob :D

im definitely in, but im out of ideas....i want something horrific like a monster to make.

are favorite literary characters also old legends?

got some ideas for me?

Edited by Aapje

Monsters aren't included this time - read the Jekyll/Hyde discussion a few posts above -, but legends are as far as I know. There are some really cool characters in Greek or Arabic mythology that work pretty well as Minimates.

I don't know if that would be too close to the monsters theme, but I'd suggest Greek harpies or Roman fauns (like Puck in Shakespear's "A Midsummer Night's Dream") or even the multiple armed Indian Godess Kali - in fact one of Sindbad's enemies in the movies - would also look pretty cool minimaterized!

I'd certainly like to throw my hat into the ring on this, and maybe this year my entry will actually make it into the final auctions.

Also, I'm feeling pretty creative this year, since I've been out of the game for a while. Are we restricted to a single character?

As far as HQ coverage, you don't have to twist my arm, we'd be happy to help. Drop me an email or a PM and we'll work out the best angle for this.

Thanks for covering for me when I'm not here Bob! You are correct. Monster-type characters are not the focus of this year's project and people are welcome to submit as many customs as they wish.