UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Godfather Minimates?

I pity the fool that think Godfather would be better than a 2-inch Mr. T.

Oh my gosh, I should totally sig this. :lol:

I actually don't own any Rocky mates at all, but I really do wish we should've gotten that Rocky 3 boxset. I mean, a Hulk Hogan Minimate? :woot: Seeing as the set actually comes with championship belts and a referee guy and all, I actually find this an even better, more definitive boxing set than the first two Rockys released.

And what happens? We miss out on the most visually appealing Rocky set ever and get some pretty ho-hum-looking Godfather 'mates instead. :(

Edited by NorthRaider

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I third the request to bring back the Rocky III set? I would love to have Mr. T and Hollywood Hulk Hogan minimates! Personally, I can't see the appeal on this set, but it wouldn't be the first time I try to track a set down long after it's been released (like the Racer X figure from Speed Racer that I could have had for $2 at TRU, only to pass and pay $8 for it later).

but it wouldn't be the first time I try to track a set down long after it's been released (like the Racer X figure from Speed Racer that I could have had for $2 at TRU, only to pass and pay $8 for it later).

That's what I did with the LOTR mates. Waited like a month and ended up paying like 8 dollars more for those packs.

Stupid ebay... :comp26:

• 3 weeks later...

These actually look good, i'll probably pick up micheal and sonny, and maybe the don, that way they can keep my marvel mates in line. Altough i would have preferred more Rocky especially with mr.T, so I agree release that set already!!!

I'm waiting to see the line-up before I write these off.

Judging by the Minimate Multiverse response, it doesn't sound like this is a promising license, though. On the other hand, at Godfather Multiverse, they might be wetting themselves with excitement.

Judging by the Minimate Multiverse response, it doesn't sound like this is a promising license, though. On the other hand, at Godfather Multiverse, they might be wetting themselves with excitement.

Indeed. On a similar note, the 'Susan' Minimates weren't exactly popular around here, but they did just fine for DST.

Interestingly, it's a box set, not a wave as previously reported. I'm relieved as a wave-based-line didn't really make sense for this license.

A picture of Sonny is up on the newest blog post. Looks good.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/03/at-d...-than-shotguns/

How come in the control art/sculpt work the 'vest/undone tie' is part of the coat but in that prototype pic it's a tempo?

Is that what he has on under the coat-piece or did they change the design?

Because having not really watched the Godfather movies (just never got around to it) the main appeal of this set to me is the cool unique suit fronts and if those are getting cut count me out. (although I'm sure this sets gonna sell like gangbusters given how many people like the godfather)

quick head swap and feet swap and BAM instant Perry White Custom...Don't call me Chief!

moc847

Wow, great idea. That may be the best reason I've heard to buy these.

Actually, it's the ONLY reason.

Having taken a closer look at the AA blog announcement, I'm wondering if our lack luster interest has impacted the plans for this in any way. We were initially told that we'd be seeing waves and box sets of these, with control art and early sculpt work on display that indicated a considerable amount of sculpting and detail poured into these little guys. Now the latest update we've gotten shows something more in the vein of Speed Racer: a blank Minimate with a hair piece. The sculpted guns we saw in some of the earlier shots have also been replaced by the now standard Assault Punisher pistol. Has a lack of interest scaled back the plans for this line?

While Sonny may be a blank minimate with a hairpiece, I think that is all that is needed for the character. The sculpted vest and tie piece was cool, but realistically, extra chest pieces add a good bit of bulk and a real-life vest doesn't. It probably would have looked weird. We also saw multiple heads for Sonny and Fredo, I think. I think the control art isn't meant to be exactly what will be released, but more what the designers want to be released. After getting a sense of the visuals and costs of the final product, I can easily see why the extra piece was scrapped in Sonny's case. I hope that the Don and Michael have the new chest pieces.

While Sonny may be a blank minimate with a hairpiece, I think that is all that is needed for the character. The sculpted vest and tie piece was cool, but realistically, extra chest pieces add a good bit of bulk and a real-life vest doesn't. It probably would have looked weird. We also saw multiple heads for Sonny and Fredo, I think. I think the control art isn't meant to be exactly what will be released, but more what the designers want to be released. After getting a sense of the visuals and costs of the final product, I can easily see why the extra piece was scrapped in Sonny's case. I hope that the Don and Michael have the new chest pieces.

I realize that each added part adds to the cost of a figure, but for them to plan it out as far as making an actual sculpt of the vest/tie piece as well as a new gun sculpt, only to show a more recent update that scrapped both indicates that somewhere along the way, they changed gears on how much they were willing to invest in the series/set. But you are right, the control art is generally just the jumping off point as far as design is concerned. Even the prototypes are subject to changes before the final release. That's part of the reason they try to get away from the pictures on the box, because sometimes big changes happen between the protos and the finals. It just seems odd to initially sculpt the parts only to cut them for reasons that should have been apparent from the control art stage. But then again, we don't usually get this much of a look in the production process, so who knows what sorts of sculpted parts are lying around the AA/DST compound that never made it to the final stages.

But then again, we don't usually get this much of a look in the production process, so who knows what sorts of sculpted parts are lying around the AA/DST compound that never made it to the final stages.

This is pretty cool of DST/AA to do. I've really enjoyed, and I hope that we continue to get little sneak peeks of future products as well.

• 4 months later...

According to DST' site, the GF minimates are due in stores August 12,2009. According to my CBS's shipping list for next week, there are no minimates of any kind shipping including the GF boxed set.

It'll be nice to get a Pacino mate, but as expected, these aren't that visually inspiring. I hope the Old Brando Godfather has an alternate face with an orange in his mouth. That would at least bring in a little color.

A fair bet we will also get a Deniro-'Mate. With those 2, Brando, Caan, and Duvall, we've got many of the greatest actors working at that time. Now we need a Jack Nicholson Minimate. C'mon "Best of Stanley Kubrick" Minimate box set--Jack, Alex, Dr. Strangelove, and HAL 9000!

Yes! I would buy that in a second! Clockwork Orange has always been like one of my favorite movies, and minimates would rock!

That would just be too much to ask for. Four pack with Alex, George, Deltoid/"The Health Farm Woman" then two packs for Purple Coat Alex/Dim and Pete/The Writer. After those sell out in about five minutes you can have two more two packs featuring George and Dim in Police uniforms. Pack each of those with one of Alex's parents. Stretch it out long enough we can get David Prowse with big nerd glasses/Billy Boy and Prison Alex/Chief Guard two packs. Dont get me started on the accessories, Imagine getting Alex's "murder weapon"? That would be nuts.

To get things back on track Godfather Minis... yawn...

According to DST' site, the GF minimates are due in stores August 12,2009. According to my CBS's shipping list for next week, there are no minimates of any kind shipping including the GF boxed set.

Given that it's about a week after SDCC and it's only DST's first attempt at a release date - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math and figure out that these were gonna be pushed back.

That would just be too much to ask for. Four pack with Alex, George, Deltoid/"The Health Farm Woman" then two packs for Purple Coat Alex/Dim and Pete/The Writer. After those sell out in about five minutes you can have two more two packs featuring George and Dim in Police uniforms. Pack each of those with one of Alex's parents. Stretch it out long enough we can get David Prowse with big nerd glasses/Billy Boy and Prison Alex/Chief Guard two packs. Dont get me started on the accessories, Imagine getting Alex's "murder weapon"? That would be nuts.

Can you imagine a TRU Clockwork Orange wave? :D

No neither can I :(

My all time Minimate holy grail but it's still so non-PC & I just can't ever see it happening.