UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Comic Spirit Mates on AA website

Interesting strategy; I guess they're going for character breadth since we're already getting Sand and Floss in the movie pack. Battle-damaged Spirit is a bit of a waste, though. I'm sure they could have come up with another tampo-only character to save money...

That Squid is begging to become a Sandman custom.

Edited by Lobsterman

Yawn.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/01/you-...again/#more-450

These look quite interesting but I am still trying to shake of my cynicism & pessimism about any news that is coming out of the ArtAsylum Blog. Please tell me the bad news & then I'll move on & try to believe the good news.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I like them - the faces and art are very faithful to the original Eisner art. While the battle-damaged Spirit showed up a lot in the original comics, I also would have preferred a different character - Inspector Dolan, maybe?

I look at the movie Spirit customs and think about how I can use the parts for customs. I look at these and want to display them on my shelf.

I for one think these look very nice, much better than the movie figs.

While I can't say if they are identical to their comic counterparts since the only Spirit things I've seen are the movie(Which wasn't that great) and two or three downloaded comics. I'm also a bit worried these will be canceled since I wouldn't mind having the classic Spirit or Squid, but with something as big as BSG getting canceled I can't see this license going anywhere. Right about now, I can't even see the movie mates hitting stores. Sometimes I wish AA wouldn't even show us these things, since most of them are due to be chucked.

Edited by McDurg

I was only buying the movie one to make customs. I have no interest in these at all. Although I will say I do like the fact that you can see the sock on the damaged Spirit minimate. Bravo on the detail to a minimate that will never see the inside of a store.

Wow, this is one pessimistic thread... BSG still hasn't even been officially cancelled, and the forum's already declared Star Trek and both Spirit sets dead alongside it. :blink: Don't get me wrong, of course it could happen, but I think the fact that they haven't announced it yet is a good sign not an annoyance -- it says to me they're at least trying to keep the line alive in some form (since we know DST can't/don't comment when they're still working out the details).

At least this new Spirit mate is smiling! I was worried he'd look all serious like the movie version...

I imagine this would be one of their smaller runs, and this set could have more direct appeal to the customers of comic book stores than BSG did...

Wow, this is one pessimistic thread... BSG still hasn't even been officially cancelled, and the forum's already declared Star Trek and both Spirit sets dead alongside it. :blink: Don't get me wrong, of course it could happen, but I think the fact that they haven't announced it yet is a good sign not an annoyance -- it says to me they're at least trying to keep the line alive in some form (since we know DST can't/don't comment when they're still working out the details).

At least this new Spirit mate is smiling! I was worried he'd look all serious like the movie version...

I imagine this would be one of their smaller runs, and this set could have more direct appeal to the customers of comic book stores than BSG did...

Shhhhhh! Don't anger the pessimistic mob - they might declare you cancelled next.

I almost don't want to respond because I'm sure this forum will be cancelled soon.

But seriously, how can Spirit mates survive in the climate that doesn't support more well known and recognized lines? The Spirit movie was ranked #23 in box office sales after only three weeks. It's only made $19mil so far, which I'm sure it cost much more to make. People are just not interested in the movie so why would they want toys from it?

I almost don't want to respond because I'm sure this forum will be cancelled soon.

But seriously, how can Spirit mates survive in the climate that doesn't support more well known and recognized lines? The Spirit movie was ranked #23 in box office sales after only three weeks. It's only made $19mil so far, which I'm sure it cost much more to make. People are just not interested in the movie so why would they want toys from it?

Mostly novelty. Same reason DST sold through boxsets of movies made when a lot of people on this forum were still teething on Weetabix. If they tried to do a line based on the Spirit (or Platoon, or Silence of the Lambs, or Desparately Seeking Susan), they would probably peter out after two or three waves, too. But the boxset is a quick fix, gets in a few key characters, then moves on to something else.

Besides, the comic has a much bigger fanbase than the movie, I'll wager. I can see these having a much better shot at making it to market than the movie set. Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks.

I think its a waste of minimates, but thats just me. I rather see them do a new comicminimates for marvel. You know, a recent comic, not just hrowbacks.

I think its a waste of minimates, but thats just me. I rather see them do a new comicminimates for marvel. You know, a recent comic, not just hrowbacks.

Probably a bit harsh an opinion IMO. While one can't deny the overall success and appeal of the Marvel line, it would be unfair to denounce Minimates of some other comic property just because. I for one also really like this set though I've not read a single Spirit comic book... though I have to agree that the battle-damaged Spirit is a waste of slot given how rare an opportunity DST has to give us new figures of ANY character. If they're worried we might NOT be familiar with the character, then for Pete's sake give us some credit... we can always look 'em up on Wikipedia or something.

Anybody else thinking that maybe DST/Minimates need a better PR/Promotions team? It's getting pretty old watching a Minimate line die because of lack of retail/consumer interest.

Apologies for the bazillion edits.

Edited by NorthRaider

Anybody else thinking that maybe DST/Minimates need a better PR/Promotions team? It's getting pretty old watching a Minimate line die because of lack of consumer interest.

I know of one person who has been 'constructively critical' of DST/Minimates for some while.......& as for consumer relations that 'Blog' is very helpful :rolleyes:

I think these are a great addition to the minimate family. As for those of you who think these may never see the light of day past their prototype phase, need I remind you all of Desperately Seeking Susan? Remember the disdain aimed at that set on this forum and how mostly EVERYBODY here thought they'd never make to toy shelves? Let's give the comic Spirit a chance.