UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

My confidence in DST/AA has actually increased dramatically over the last week or so & though I firmly believe we will never see the originally proposed figures ......I am totally convinced we'll eventually see a set /wave/whatever to conclude the line. It may not be announced this week or this month but it'll happen......because it will sell, as simple as that.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My confidence in DST/AA has actually increased dramatically over the last week or so & though I firmly believe we will never see the originally proposed figures ......I am totally convinced we'll eventually see a set /wave/whatever to conclude the line. It may not be announced this week or this month but it'll happen......because it will sell, as simple as that.

That's much along the lines of what I was thinking.

DST's license with Universal for BSG is finite. I have no idea when it's up but there's hope in that DST doesn't just make Minimates. If the action figure and sculptural lines continue to sell well, they'll keep the line going as long as there's viable product and retailer demand. That means Minimates will remain an option for the duration.

There's also a possibility that even when the BSG license is up, one for Caprica might use language to include an option for BSG Minimates. It all depends on what DST asks for and how flexible Universal is willing to be. Given the current economic climate, I think both partners could reach a compromise that would make everyone happy.

Personally I think boxed sets are the way to go. Retailers can order exactly how many they need without having excess inventory and dusty reminders of toys that didn't move as expected. And hardcore consumers don't have to get frustrated chasing figures to complete their collections. I have no idea if that's as profitable as the cases of 2-packs but if those aren't selling, it's better than nothing, right?

Well, Toy Fair has run it's course, and absolutely no love for BSG Minimates -

Anyone heard anything?

Sadly, no...:(

I'm really thinking that they assumed the pretty little Viper and Raider with various minis would be enough to spark interest in the line again, and if TRU doesn't pick em up then it was the dumbest idea on Earth. Think about it; they're the only ones who'd actually consider them on their shelves. <_<

I really expected to see some Final Five box set or at least prototypes of the 5, 6, and N.C. mates just to show physical Minimates and try to get interest flowing; they took pictures for Online Pre-orders, so i'm damn sure they have a few protos lying here and there. That still would have better than what they did do...It'd be really cool if they auctioned off the protos though, kinda like what Propworx is doing for all the BSG props. I'd be all over a few of those, and they would see would see how much interest actually was in these.

Just a thought, but i'll start running from the pitchforks and torches when you're ready, though. :blush:

I'm still hoping that the lack of news has something to do with the show itself and what the final outcome will be.

I agree. We still need to see #7

I don't know if there is really any need for us to see a model that has been dead for forty years. I'm guessing Daniel won't be making any physical appearances.

I'm pretty disappointed in the way DST has strung us along with these. I will be VERY disappointed if an exclusive deal hasn't been worked out.

I hope lack of news is that they've worked something out with Toys R Us or someone else. If they made these exclusives, there wouldn't be a need to solicit them at Toy Fair.

This is exactly what I'm hoping (that these already have a home), as simply showing one small diorama (that has been seen before) with no supporting info. is obviously not an effective way of infusing enthusiasm and interest (if that was truly the intention). For this reason, one would have to deduce that 1) Support already exists and product details are being hammered-out, or 2) That their marketing techniques are seriously lacking and unprofessional; I tend to believe the former.

After reading the latest Art Asylum blog, my hopes of seeing these last 18 minimates have once again been dashed. I just wonder what they were thinking before Toy Fare when they said we would see something there... :(

After reading the latest Art Asylum blog, my hopes of seeing these last 18 minimates have once again been dashed. I just wonder what they were thinking before Toy Fare when they said we would see something there... :(

Since they are the bad kind of cylon, I am pretty sure they were thinking of ways to dash our hopes and destroy our human way of life via nuclear holocaust. Fortunately for us, the minimate nukes weren't very effective. But the hope dashing seems to have worked pretty well.

Perhaps it would be better for all of us BSG fans to look to the Cylon Oracle rather than the Orifice of the AA blog which blows hot air continuously.

I'll tell you what they were thinking...

Plan A: Keep buying time with these lame excuses & false hope, even in small increments, and ride out all this Battlestar hype until the series is over in a month and they lose interest. And if that fails, there's always Plan B: Distract them w/ Ghostbusters & T2

I'm somehow doubting that they're serious about completing this license... all this "wait for this..." and "wait for that..." is just a smokescreen to buy time until interest dies to a level that it can be ignored outright.

The distinction between "On Hold" and "Cancelled" are just a matter of semantics for what amounts to : "Not Gonna Happen so long as there are more Wolverines to make"

(Sorry for the rant - but I' gettin' a little frakkin' tired of the DST Two-Step on this particular issue)

Perhaps it would be better for all of us BSG fans to look to the Cylon Oracle rather than the Orifice of the AA blog which blows hot air continuously.

I'm thinking that it's not the Hot Air-Blowing Orifice that we should all worry about

(Sorry for the rant - but I' gettin' a little frakkin' tired of the DST Two-Step on this particular issue)

I'm thinking that it's not the Hot Air-Blowing Orifice that we should all worry about

I can assure you that the 'orifice' I had in mind was the one that (in my case at least) blows hot air (methane-rich) .

I ,like you & probably many others, am also tired of this 'chain yanking'.

Since AFX has done quite a few Marvel MiniMates exlusive sets, I asked them if they would be interested in offering a BSG Final Five Cylon set. They quickly responded that it sounded like a good idea and would talk with DST about it.

It actually made me think that talks had already begun and as others here have suspected, plans are already under way for some of these Mates to eventually be released in some fashion. I was also hoping to see these at Toy Fair, but again as others have pointed out, store exclusives aren't typically shown at Toy Fair.

FINAL FIVE SPOILERS BELOW>>>

I most want to see Anders, Tory, and the 5th member, so it only makes sense to ask for a Final Five set including Tigh (one-eye) and Tyrol to round it out. I was also excited about the long haired Starbuck from New Caprica, but that hair piece is being used for Psylocke, so she should be an easy custom to make.

<<<END OF FINAL FIVE SPOILERS

It would have been nice to get all the humanoid Cylons, but I'd be OK if they just found a way to get the rest of the Final Five made and that could be done with a nice boxed set!

Edited by 3Dean

3Dean, you may want to wrap some spoiler tags around some info in your post, specifically about the identities of some of the Final Five. Some board members here, especially those in the UK, aren't caught up on the most recent episodes.

3Dean, you may want to wrap some spoiler tags around some info in your post, specifically about the identities of some of the Final Five. Some board members here, especially those in the UK, aren't caught up on the most recent episodes.

Sorry about that... Should have known better, so I took out the 5th Cylon. I figure the other 4 are pretty common knowledge by now...