UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Minimates cancelled

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the show is not officially over! We still have the 2 hour episode BSG: The Plan, which will likely come out in the summer. And we have the pilot for the new show Caprica, coming to DVD on April 21. We may have seen the conclusion to the story, but there's still plenty of BSG to look forward to - and which DST ought to capitalize on by releasing the remaining Minimates!

But the show is not officially over! We still have the 2 hour episode BSG: The Plan, which will likely come out in the summer. And we have the pilot for the new show Caprica, coming to DVD on April 21. We may have seen the conclusion to the story, but there's still plenty of BSG to look forward to - and which DST ought to capitalize on by releasing the remaining Minimates!

Actually it's Fall '09. ;)

And it would be around the perfect time to get out the last few. What is the plan all about?? Cylons and them in the mini-series era. What are the most important BSG Minimates we need besides new Kara?? Cylons!! It'd be the perfect opprotunity, and hopefully they don't frak it up.

I just picked up the Suncoast 5 Cylon exclusive (from a couple of years ago) at the FYE in Trumbull CT for $3.94! (There's 1 left)

They also had quite a few Series 1 & 2 two packs for $1.88 (well, .94¢ seeing as they are 50% off)

I can see why they didn't go for the next few planned waves...

I just picked up the Suncoast 5 Cylon exclusive (from a couple of years ago) at the FYE in Trumbull CT for $3.94! (There's 1 left)

They also had quite a few Series 1 & 2 two packs for $1.88 (well, .94¢ seeing as they are 50% off)

The fact that you got the deals ,on the stuff you mention, ironically is perhaps the reason "they didn't go for the next....waves" however much many of us wanted them. :(

I try to give Suncoast some business when it comes to DST product - be it Minimates or BSG and ST Action Figures.

Unfortunately, Suncoast's ability to stock anything is pretty spotty and people I know don't shop there regularly because Suncoast doesn't consistently stock things - somethimes they have a lot, sometimes nothing and rarely do they stock the same line across more than 1 or 2 waves.

They also have a lousy merchandising plan that usually has all the collectibles randomly piled onto a huge, messy wall of pegged toys and action figures that is jammed back in the store - not exactly consumer friendly.

So... the moral of the story is, if we're gonna toss out some broad generalities about the saleability of BSG minimates, let's choose a retailer that seems to have its act together - afterall, Suncoast almost put themselves out of business once.

I try to give Suncoast some business when it comes to DST product - be it Minimates or BSG and ST Action Figures.

Unfortunately, Suncoast's ability to stock anything is pretty spotty and people I know don't shop there regularly because Suncoast doesn't consistently stock things - somethimes they have a lot, sometimes nothing and rarely do they stock the same line across more than 1 or 2 waves.

They also have a lousy merchandising plan that usually has all the collectibles randomly piled onto a huge, messy wall of pegged toys and action figures that is jammed back in the store - not exactly consumer friendly.

So... the moral of the story is, if we're gonna toss out some broad generalities about the saleability of BSG minimates, let's choose a retailer that seems to have its act together - afterall, Suncoast almost put themselves out of business once.

To your point, Suncoast was the only retailer that picked up BSG in the first place. I am sure other retailers were given the option to sell them, and they chose not to... so we are right back to non saleability.

To your point, Suncoast was the only retailer that picked up BSG in the first place. I am sure other retailers were given the option to sell them, and they chose not to... so we are right back to non saleability.

The fact that Suncoast was the only retailer to commit to BSG really has nothing to do with it...

My point is, that Suncoast does a crappy job of merchandising all of their toys & collectables which is a more likely explanation for the amount of product (like BSG mates) that are still on the shelves. Even lines like Hasbro Star Wars as well as the 7" ST, Stargate and BSG (which are lucrative according the DST Q & A) are being blown out on clearance in many of the stores... obviously these are solid product lines, but people aren't shopping at Suncoast for those items (but they are buying them everywhere else).

It is my assertion that people don't shop at Suncoast for the following reasons:

1. Suncoast does not make it easy to shop for figures & collectables because their displays are disorganized and it's hard to distinguish one theme or section from another in a random field of peg racks

2. Hardcore collectable shoppers don't go to Suncoast because they don't consistently get new merchandise and they often do not get subsequent waves or series that would encourage return buyers.

3. Suncoast does not use their primary draw (DVD's) to sell collectables such as placing Sci-Fi toys and figures near the Sci FI DVD's but instead putting them by the adult anime and skin films.

4. Suncoast's pricing can be a bit on the high side (which probably has a lot to do with the high $$ real estate they choose)

I'm just saying - I wouldn't use Suncoast as proof of a product's viability in the market

I'm just saying - I wouldn't use Suncoast as proof of a product's viability in the market

I accept that point entirely , I was perhaps wrong to imply so. I was perhaps surprised that Waves 1 & 2 were still available albeit on clearance ,if I was running that store then I would conclude that I either over-ordered or they weren't selling.......who knows!

I am sure other retailers were given the option to sell them, and they chose not to... so we are right back to non saleability.

I think it's lack of fucking vision rather than non-saleability. Not that it geographically speaks for all, but every place that has carried BSG 'mates or 6" in my area sold-out rather quickly. *sigh* I suppose much like Blade Runner, we'll have to wait at least a decade before the world realizes what an amazing body of art this was (I'll be too old to care, but I'll still say "I told you so!"). Fucking shame, really. :down:

Suncoast just never re-stocks. THey have the same action figures that they had like a year ago. Thier are still some lonely SMG packs sitting there. <_<

Edited by Iowa

The fact that Suncoast was the only retailer to commit to BSG really has nothing to do with it.

Actually it is exactly the point. No other retailer Bought Them to Sell. Thus poor salesbility.

Whether Suncoast did a good job in displaying them, doesn't matter Dst did not have the Sales to continue making these

That is across retailer and specialty market... They didn't sell.

Blaming suncoast is a cop out

I realize you love this series but you are to close to the

Situation to view it reasonably.

• 1 month later...

The fact that Suncoast was the only retailer to commit to BSG really has nothing to do with it.

Actually it is exactly the point. No other retailer Bought Them to Sell. Thus poor salesbility.

Whether Suncoast did a good job in displaying them, doesn't matter Dst did not have the Sales to continue making these

That is across retailer and specialty market... They didn't sell.

Blaming suncoast is a cop out

I realize you love this series but you are to close to the

Situation to view it reasonably.

On some level I realize that you may not be entirely wrong...

...But can you get any more bitter? Sorry you hated BSG so much.

Though I guess it's no more then I did with DCD..

And what we all do with SF...

Carry on. :)

[quote name='TM2 Dinobot' date='May 14 2009, 11:50 AM'

I'm not bitter at all and I didn't hate BSG I actually bought every 2 pack produced.

All I ever said was I understand why they didn't sell. Get your facts straight

I'm not bitter at all and I didn't hate BSG I actually bought every 2 pack produced.

All I ever said was I understand why they didn't sell. Get your facts straight

Well I said you were right.

Not true, Toys'r'us Canada picked these up as well. Series one of both the Minimates and the action figures. They ordered them through Diamond Comics because there was no other way they could order them in Canada.

Just thought I would share a little BSG knowledge with you MOC. For old times sake. Hope you follow me. :blush:

Not true, Toys'r'us Canada picked these up as well. Series one of both the Minimates and the action figures. They ordered them through Diamond Comics because there was no other way they could order them in Canada.

Just thought I would share a little BSG knowledge with you MOC. For old times sake. Hope you follow me. :blush:

so actually that continues to prove my point, that these did not sell. I am not trying to rub anything in...you know what I am going to stop because i feel like i am treating a stab wound with amputation...how about that champions set? that is going to rock isn't it?

moc847

so actually that continues to prove my point, that these did not sell. I am not trying to rub anything in...you know what I am going to stop because i feel like i am treating a stab wound with amputation...how about that champions set? that is going to rock isn't it?

moc847

Yes sir it Is and Yes Sir you are right. I was not disagreein' with you that this line failed. I was just saying more then just one store gave it a chance.

It honestly makes me sad that people still have hope for this line. It is dead! All the stores want to carry for BSG are 7" action figures. If I had to choose between BSG Minimates or BSG busts coming back from the toy grave to full time line, I would pick the busts.

The idea of BSG Minimates was fun until you ask yourself "what kids are gonna ask for BSG toys to play with?" Star Wars is one thing, Star Trek is even ok but BSG is not for the young. Most adult toy collectors I know only buy stuff they grew up liking, not a show they just saw on television and enjoy a great deal.

Yeah it sucks this line ended, but every toy line ends. It just sucks balls that we saw what could have been.

And I wish I was still buying minimates MOC, because that Black Widow is gonna rock socks!!!

Edited by pickle

(/qoute)

It honestly makes me sad that people still have hope for this line. It is dead! All the stores want to carry for BSG are 7" action figures. If I had to choose between BSG Minimates or BSG busts coming back from the toy grave to full time line, I would pick the busts.

The idea of BSG Minimates was fun until you ask yourself "what kids are gonna ask for BSG toys to play with?" Star Wars is one thing, Star Trek is even ok but BSG is not for the young. Most adult toy collectors I know only buy stuff they grew up liking, not a show they just saw on television and enjoy a great deal.

Yeah it sucks this line ended, but every toy line ends. It just sucks balls that we saw what could have been.

And I wish I was still buying minimates MOC, because that Black Widow is gonna rock socks!!!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion---and how do you know "most" people's collecting interests?

By the way if you don't collect or buy minimates why do you even still post on this site?...thats what sad-- :unsure:

Edited by mav-man