UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

I got my 11th Doctor figure in the mail, and he is pretty amazing, especially considering this is the first figure that Big Chief has released:

11thDoctor.jpg

I would say he is slightly below Hot Toys quality. The company has done a good job of communicating with fans, and even though this figure took a long time to get released, they made sure it was done right, and the quality was definitely worth the wait. They also got the license for the BBC Sherlock, which will be hard to pass up!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of pretty cool custom pieces were recently shown off. First is this great Cilian Murphy Scarecrow with removable mask:

FWclQ.jpg

pgqOO.jpg

And Iminime is doing Hannibal the Cannibal, sculpted by Rainman:

KUlZ1.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

Pretty nice figure, and am important character in the Cobra ranks of course, but I'm not gonna pick this guy up. Never cared much for him in the cartoons, comics, or the toy for that matter.

With Hot Toys Bespin Luke Skywalker finally arriving this week (tomorrow for me), I decided to pick up the Medicom Darth Vader 2.0 to go with him. Medicom 1/6 figures are notoriously out of scale with most other 1/6 figures, but this 2.0 Vader is only slightly out of scale. It has a button that plays lines from the original trilogy (and they are surprisingly clear and loud) and most importantly, the lightsaber has an LED in it. Here are some comparison pictures with the Sideshow Boba Fett (which has been transplanted to a Hot Toys Slim body). In the picture with no flash, you can see how bright the lightsaber really is, it's pretty impressive in hand. The Medicom Darth Vader 2.0 retails for $300.00 but can sometimes be found cheaper online.

Medicom gets bashed A LOT, especially on the Freaks forum, but I have to say that this is the coolest Vader figure I have ever owned in any scale. :thumbsup:

MediVader2-01.jpg

MediVader2-02.jpg

I've run Medicom down a bit myself, due mostly to bad personal experiences with them. But they do some things well. I'm a huge Kubrick fan. And certain figures have a real charm and style to them (particularly the comic and cartoon characters). But usually the scale is off, paint is bad, outfits are cheap, bodies are brittle, and they really don't feel like "high end" figures at all. Glad to hear that Vader is an exception.

Regarding Luke, I picked him up today. Waiting for my glue to set in the magnets (all 4 magnets came unglued), then I'll display him with Vader.

Edited by karamazov80

They surely have more licenses than nearly anyone else (only company I can think of off-hand that rivals them is Funko). That's one great thing about Kubricks over Minimates--more major, desirable licenses from my POV with stuff like Alien/Aliens, Star Wars, Disney, and Metal Gear.

Yeah, they have their own problems, but I think the biggest problem they face is the expectation from Hot Toys/Sideshow Collectors that Medicom products are *supposed* to be fully designed around other companies specifics. That would be like us complaining that Minimates aren't designed to be compatible with Playmobil's figures.

Medicom seems to do just fine filling a specific niche market. I wish their 1/6 products were more compatible with other company's product, but can't fault them for following their own vision.

I only own 2 Medicom 1/6 figures, the 2.0 Vader (which I paid full price) and the Ultimate Unison Farmboy Luke Skywalker (or young Jodie Foster as some like to point out) that I bought on clearance at BBTS for $145. At $145, I was really happy with the product.

I'm very happy with the 2.0 Vader, but I can't see myself spending that kind of money on any other Medicom 1/6 products.

Well I think there are two things with Medicom. One is their style, and on that front, I agree with you completely. You can't fault Medicom for not having great likenesses (though they sometimes have better likenesses than even HT oddly), realistic paint work, or for otherwise not focusing on detailed accessories and other goodies that come with those figures. But a lot of the issues I experienced with them are that they come off as cheaper than they have to be, considering the style Medicom is going for. Simplistic paint apps are OK within reason, but this?

9H0Rb.jpg

At $150 or whatever?

And beyond that, Medi frequently gives you sloppy paint apps. Then the clothing also often looks and feels like something you would get from Hasbro. I have had more than one Medi body break on me. Same has happened with HT knee joints, but I've never had an HT body crumble to pieces like my old Medi Spider-Man. They clearly stopped evolving around 2002 or so, and from a stylistic POV I think that's fine. They do appeal to folks who want uniformity on the shelf, mostly in Asia. Frankly, Hot Toys figures from 2005 don't look so good next to figures from 2012, while a Medi figure released today fits seamlessly from a figure released 10 years ago. But I think they cheap out more than they need to, and probably justify it as a means of maintaining uniformity, but I surely wouldn't spend what they are asking for nearly anything they pump out. And I think it is fair to critique them as "high end" figures, since that is what they purport to be.

But I do agree with you that a general Medicom/Hot Toys comparison is pretty apples and oranges since they are going for different things. Enterbay is the only major rival to HT in terms of what HT is trying to do IMO.

Edited by karamazov80

Poor Medicom Young Indy, always destined to be the Yin to Sideshow's Pamela Voorhees' Yang. :biggrin:

I don't own anything Enterbay at this time (unless you count Ultimate Unison Luke), but some of Sideshow's recent GIJoe portraits I think are on the same level with Hot Toys in terms of sculpt (granted, they are generic faces, not specific people). Sideshow's paint apps still leave a LOT to be desired, but I haven't been bothered by them enough to get any of my Joe's repainted yet.

I have a few of the older 1/6 Sideshow Star Wars heads (New Hope Leia and Jedi Luke) that are currently being repainted for bashes I am working on, I hope to get some pix of the finished paint soon.

Edited by youbastards

My issues with Medicom 1/6th have more to do with decomposing fabrics and brittle joints. Too expensive to only last a short while.

That said, I also don't buy HT rubber bodies for the same reason.

Sideshow fits somewhere between those two companies IMO. Sideshow has always had great sculpts (they contract with two of the best 1/6 sculptors in the world in Grove and Bergholtz). But the "softness" of their casts has been a problem, and like you say, the paint apps are hit-and-miss. Dusty's head was just flat unacceptable to me, so I had to get it repainted. Same with the SSC Han Solo. Unfortunately, SSC has historically given us much larger sculpts (scale-wise) than HT. So even if you do get them repainted, they often don't fit all that well on display with HT figures. I put my DX Luke next to my modified SSC Han last night, and it really doesn't work that well.

So, my Hawkeye waitlist converted!

Went on far too much of a spending spree lately, and won't be back working at TRU until Black Friday. I should be ecstatic, but it's killing the wallet; kinda figured with it taking this long that it wouldn't convert.

But hey, got my Hawkeye, that's all that matters! (Oh, the priorities of collectors)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Yeah, as I expected, Disney cancelled all of the pre-orders. It wasn't actually "in stock" even though they listed it that way, and the discount coupons were only good for "in stock" merch.

That Jordan is pretty impressive, and the singular sports celebrity I would consider for my collection, if I collected anything at all sports related.