UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

1/6 Scale Action Figures

karamazov80

Oh, well that would be easy. Just get a tiny LED and battery pack (I reccomend these guys http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ ), drill a hole big enough to fit your LED into the accessory, run the wires up Star Lord's sleeve to hide them, tuck the battery pack into his belt under the jacket and BLAMO! easy peasy light up accessory.

I did this with an extra Tesseract for my Red Skull. The effect is quite nice.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

My latest arrival, ThreeZero's Eddard Stark (Exclusive version) came in the mail yesterday. I don't have a dedicated shelf yet for these guys so they're on my "Game of Clones" shelf for now. Here's a quick camera phone photo of Ned with Tyrion (who I got a few months ago).

GOTfigs_zpsex8gx6ox.jpg

Like Tyrion, Ned's very light on accessories. Only a couple extra sets of hand (which aren't that different from each other, just tighter grip hands) his sword belt (that you have to put on),dagger (packed in the sheath), sword and his family Valyrian steel broadsword, Ice which is the ThreeZero store exclusive. That's it. I wish he came with a stand as I live in earthquake country but I have a few extras lying around so its not a huge deal. Honestly I'm not sure what else he needs, other than maybe

his own severed head and bloody neck stump?

Ned's a great figure. The likeness is really good, the tailoring of the clothing and cape is well done and the swords are well sculpted. I do wish the swords, at least Ice, were done in diecast. That would help with the price and lack of any other accessories. But as is the swords are really well done. Be careful with the short sword though as there are 2 very thin, fragile spikes coming off the hilt that could get caught on something when you're putting it in the sheath. I noticed them when I was putting him together and nearly broke one off trying to force the sword into the sheath.

I really like this line. I wish they were coming out faster (Jon Snow just went up for preorder) but the quality is worth the wait. I saw someone on Facebook use the direwolf bookends as part of a diorama with this figure and now I need to find a good deal on a set because it looked great. I missed the ThreeZero exclusive of Tyrion (his dagger was the exclusive piece) but I'm glad I got the Ned exclusive as he really needs Ice in his hands. Now I wait for Jon Snow to ship and the next to be revealed.

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

I was tempted by Ned, but passed. He is one of my favorite characters from the show, but the likeness isn't as great as it could be IMO. I think 30 made a mistake including Ice as the exclusive, as well. If the regular had it, I might pick it up from BBTS or something when the mood suited me, but I'm surely not going to get him without it. I'm really tempted to get Jon, but again, likeness is lacking. Particularly after we saw the terrific Iminime sculpt. Still, $190 for a nice, detailed figure of what is becoming one of my favorites on the show, with that HUGE direwolf. . .I might end up biting.

I can agree somewhat on the likeness not being perfect. But are we picking up the imperfections because we're looking at macro zoom close up photos? Looking at these on my shelf there is no mistaking who they are supposed to be. Are they perfect? No, but they are more than passable.

Besides, I can never figure out how to get any of those Inime or other custom sculpts. So I'm good with the officially licensed figures even if they aren't 100% perfect. I can see the character in the figure and that's what matters to me. Your mileage may vary. :)

Iminime had to recall the orders for their Jon Snow sculpt, because of legal threats made their way. So, it's not available anyway. Regarding the likeness, I'm just talking about how it seems to me looking at it in pics taken from a reasonable distance. I will make an exception here or there, but when it's not an essential character I love (and Ned's not that for me), the likeness can make or break a buying decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot Toys Luke Skywalker from Star Wars is up on SSC's site. One of the best looking Star Wars figures from HT yet in my opinion. I'm thinking I need to start liquidating a chunk of my collection so I can go all in with the Episode IV Hot Toys figures (Vader, Storm Troopers, Luke, Han, Chewy, Obi Wan, Leia, R2, and 3PO).

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-luke-skywalker-hot-toys-9024361/

Oin9pVR.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

I think I will hold off on any Star Wars stuff unless/until they do Return of the Jedi.

Jedi Luke is among my favourite, and Boushh Leia is my fave Leia. Would look odd with ANH Luke and ROTJ Leia on the shelf.

That said, this figure is amazing and did make me a bit worried when I saw it. Stay strong...stay strong...

Edited by UK Collector

Someone on SSF who has been on the money in the past with insider information, said that there will be a couple of Jedi figures released before HT jumps into Episode 7, and apparently one of those will be Jedi Luke. But that's not written in stone. . .

Jedi Luke and Emperor Palpatine are all I need from ROTJ.

I would like to see Hot Toys tackle a ESB Bespin Han, Lando, and Bespin Escape Leia.

I can't really see HT venturing into supporting cast/aliens/Droids of Star Wars, they will most likely leave that to Sideshow.

Lando in disguise from Jedi would be pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if it would be worthy of a HT release. Also, Jabba of course. Maybe an Ewok 3-pack!

While I agree with you on most of the aliens and droids, YB, 3PO and R2 seem like no-brainers to me. They're just too essential.

Edited by karamazov80

I thought I read somewhere that HT was holding off on the droids to see how Sideshows came out. As someone who has Sideshows R2-D2 I honestly don't know what HT could do to improve it or make it worth my double-dipping. If Sideshows 3PO is as good as I'm hoping then I won't need an HT version.

I am waiting to see if HT does ROTJ Luke. Sideshows is very outdated and while I have the recent Sideshow Vader I'm feeling the need for a Jedi Luke to put with him.

I've got Sideshow's R2, and was pretty disappointed in the flimsy feeling of him. The opening doors and multiple accessories are nice, but I would be happy with Hot Toys releasing a more solid R2 with only retractable leg, lights, sound effects. Ideally it would be cool to get R2 & 3PO with AC adapters so they could be plugged in for the power effects. It would probably come in at or around Sideshow's price too.

Wanda looks good, but kind of a boring character design IMO. I'm not getting that one unless it gets clearanced out or something.

As for R2, my thoughts are similar to YB. From what I've read (and I haven't had it in hand, in full disclosure), it suffered from typical SSC 1/6 scale issues like paint issues, and a general lack of quality and sturdiness. HT would improve on those things, even if it did so at the expense of screen accuracy laugh.png And I wouldn't be surprised to see some nifty light up gimmicks and sounds and whatnot. Probably, again, at a price comparable to what SSC was initially selling theirs for.