UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

So say we all!

To me, it brings to mind old Stan Lee/Roy Thomas team books. Not sure how that would break the internet in half.

Funny how the only minimate that gets clamored for around here that Chuck didn't mention they are thinking about releasing "soon" is Kang.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Q&A: http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2009/06/askd...imates-edition/

I'm curious about the Marvel sales question: "sales in the comic channel seem to be on a slight decline." Does that mean the comic Mates are selling less?!

Comic channel refers to distribution through comic stores (in context of the questions) - sales through comic book stores have declined...

I'm sure there is some cannibalism and overlap with TRU as well as the general economic situation

And, as much as I'd love to see 'So say we all' as a reference to BSG mates, I remember when 'The truth is out there' was recently a reference to T2 mates instead of X-Files. Those DST guys know how to keep you on your toes.

Maybe it's Dances With Wolves Minimates (since Laura Roselyn was in that).

Funny how the only minimate that gets clamored for around here that Chuck didn't mention they are thinking about releasing "soon" is Kang.

That's because the whole Kang clamor in the first place was just a random meme gone out of control. I bet not that many people are even that familiar with Kang besides the usual "expanded universe" people (the ones who've been reading Avengers comics for years, and who haven't been exposed to Marvel purely through the movies and cartoons.)

Man, I can only dream of imagining how many of those "control art sheets" DST really has hidden away in their archives... as someone previously noted some of the control art sheets of the Minimates we're just about to get (like Marvel waves 28-30) have in fact been around for at least a year. Just imagine:somewhere DST already has a design blueprint for some of our most-requested characters out there, it's just a matter of waiting for them to be given the green light. Sigh...

And, as much as I'd love to see 'So say we all' as a reference to BSG mates, I remember when 'The truth is out there' was recently a reference to T2 mates instead of X-Files. Those DST guys know how to keep you on your toes.

Come to think of it, "so say we all" makes me think "hive mind", which makes me think "Daleks", which makes me think "Doctor Who"...

Okay, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Edited by NorthRaider

Comic channel refers to distribution through comic stores (in context of the questions) - sales through comic book stores have declined...

I'm sure there is some cannibalism and overlap with TRU as well as the general economic situation

It was probably a function of too many movie-'Mates (which just don't seem to sell well), the wacky wave with Nova, Cloak, etc., and the TRU overlap that you speak of for the Spidey wave. My comic shop doesn't even bother ordering movie-'Mates anymore after failing to sell the Spidey 3 figures.

Good point.

Miami Vice? Stand And Deliver? ;)

Or, perhaps even more captivating, EJO was in Blade Runner...

Edited by Lobsterman

I visit two different comic shops on a semi-regular basis and neither has ever consistently carried Minimates that I know of. I know one does more than the other, but they've also got leftovers from the New Avengers wave hanging around. To be honest, the only reason I asked the question about Marvel mates was because I would hate to see interest die and Marvel to stop. But, if they think next year will be even bigger I don't really see that happening too soon.

My local shop basically only carries the Marvel box sets now. It carried DCD's 'mates, only to slowly get hosed on declining sales. It dropped Marvel way back around wave 9, only to try again on wave 23 with Nova and friends. Had I have known they'd try to dip back into the regular release market, I'd have ordered through them, but instead, I already had a case coming in from Stuckakid, so I settled for just a complete set (with variant). The rest are basically warming the pegs.

I've never been able to get the non-comic stuff here.

Also, any announcement about BSG Minimates is not likely to "break the internet in half", since they obviously didn't make all that much of an impression on the masses the first time around. Really, the only things that might do that are the return of DC 'mates or Star Wars 'mates, finally. But it's probably not that big. Personally, I'm betting on the Secret Wars box set lineup announcement.

BTW, I was one of the questioners this time around; I asked the question about the Spirit comics 'mates (and sent it to the wrong address, so I'm glad Chuck still answered it). It's really a shame these have stalled....

I think there are a few other lines they could mention that would get some big exposure, but I'm not sure if anything Minimates would break the internet in half (and if it did, Al Gore would have to fix it since he was the one that invented it).

Also, any announcement about BSG Minimates is not likely to "break the internet in half", since they obviously didn't make all that much of an impression on the masses the first time around. Really, the only things that might do that are the return of DC 'mates or Star Wars 'mates, finally. But it's probably not that big. Personally, I'm betting on the Secret Wars box set lineup announcement.

I agree that the likelihood of it being BSG is slim, since there's been little retail interest on it thus far. Still, BSG wasn't directly mentioned in the Q&A, which could allow room for a curve ball.

Star Trek and DC, on the other hand, are long shots. Chuck specifically mentioned that DC stuff channels through DCD and not DST, and he specifically mentioned that retail interest isn't strong for Star Trek.

My prediction is either a new license, or more likely the Secret Wars box set, as you mentioned.

I think the "So Say We All" comment pretty much guarantees a BSG announcement of some type.

Though the Q & A was focused on Minimates, this does not mean that the announcement will concern Minimates.

The DST site just announced that the SDCC exclusive Dark Avengers set will be available at TRU and TRU.com... is this the news that would break the internet in half?

I think that is just DST fixing the website from where it was down. The big news hasn't hit yet.

You know what's funny? Three months ago, I would have been jumping up and down about a potential BSG announcement. Now, after the show has been laid to rest for a few months? I'm kind of indifferent. It would be great to fill out the cylons, but some of the initial heartbreak has faded.

You know what's funny? Three months ago, I would have been jumping up and down about a potential BSG announcement. Now, after the show has been laid to rest for a few months? I'm kind of indifferent. It would be great to fill out the cylons, but some of the initial heartbreak has faded.

I can not believe that BSG could break the Internet in half. Or even dent it for that matter

Maybe we need to get some clarification of AA/DST time. A week ago we were told to expect an annoucement about the Secret Wars set "later this week" which has yet to appear. So now we're told to expect a big annoucement "later today". Clearly they are working on different time than the rest of us.

And as an aside, Northraider, I could argue that Kang, who's fought everyone from the Avengers to the crew of the Enterprise D, (wish I were kidding) is no less obscure than Cloak and Dagger. (of course, I can still readily find those guys, so that may be it's own answer) But as gags that take on a life of their own, I can't think of a more deserving character. (wait, is that a compliment?)

This is from DST's site:

Battlestar Galactica Minimates Return!

The oft-rumored return of the Battlestar Galactica Minimates line can now be confirmed, owing its resurrection to The World’s Greatest Toy Store, Toys"R"Us. The first new wave of Battlestar Galactica Minimates, featuring updated versions of fan favorites and never before seen characters, will be available this summer exclusively at Toys"R"Us stores nationwide, and online at Toysrus.com, with additional waves coming later this year.

The Battlestar Galactica Minimates line began in 2007, and during its production run, over 60 different Minimate versions of the hit series' robotic Cylons and human crew were released. However, when the line was discontinued, fans were left without several key characters featured in the later seasons of the epic sci-fi adventure - including the human-model Cylons and the Final Five survivors of Earth. In addition to all-new characters, these Toys"R"Us exclusive waves will include new versions of the show’s main cast - such as Admiral William Adama, Lt. Kara “Starbuck” Thrace and Lee “Apollo” Adama.

“We've been searching for the right partner to help continue the Battlestar Galactica Minimate line for a while, and working with Toys"R"Us on this project has been a dream come true for all of us,” remarked Chuck Terceira, Director of Diamond Select Toys & Collectibles. “The truly exciting part about this announcement is how new fans of the show will be able to experience Battlestar Galactica Minimates for the first time, while customers familiar with the original line will finally be able to complete their collections.”

The first assortment of all-new Battlestar Galactica Minimates is scheduled to arrive at Toys"R"Us stores nationwide and online at Toysrus.com beginning in June and will feature the following figures:

Leoben aka Number Two & Kara “Starbuck” Thrace

D’Anna Biers aka Number Three & Lee “Apollo” Adama

Admiral William Adama & Razor Cylon Warrior

John Cavill aka Number One & Tylium Mine Cylon

Aaron Doral aka Number Four & Stealth Cylon

Each two-pack will be available for $6.99 and includes two Minimates - each standing over two inches tall, with an incredible 14 points of articulation. As always, the Minimates feature removable and interchangeable parts that unlock endless combinations, while parallel Minimate lines allow fans to combine their favorite television, movie and comic characters in one cohesive set - including characters based on Marvel Comics, Ghostbusters, Terminator 2, Star Trek, Back to the Future and more!

Further Battlestar Galactica offerings are also in the works, including a second assortment of Toys"R"Us exclusive Minimates as well as a few surprises that long-time fans of the break-out toy line will recognize. For more information about what the future holds for this growing line, please visit www.artasylum.com and www.diamondselecttoys.com.

Edited by Santos L Halper