UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Q&A stuff from AA's site

Reideen1313

I seem to remember Sunfire being a Japanese chauvinist so his Rising Sun costume seems to fit character-wise. I would think the Chinese Minimate fans (are there many?) would have the most objection as would maybe Australia, Taiwan, and the Philippines cultures. But given China's ascent and recent territorial assertiveness, I think more are worried about a rising risen Red Dragon than a Rising Sun from 70 years ago.

Fixed that for ya.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only speak in generalities, but as far as i can tell Australians (at least those from my generation or younger) don't really have a negative image of the Japanese. Most of them couldn't tell you what the Rising Sun flag means apart from it having ties to Japan. On occasion, i hear older Australians (men and women in there 60's and 70's +) talk about 'the Japs' in a derogatory manner - but any animosity felt towards them really seems to be dying out with the older generations. As a country, i don't think we feel the same way about Japan as China might.

You don't need me to tell you that flags are,by design,national symbols . Captain America wears the stars & stripes of the US for bloody obvious reasons &....for the record Sunfire wears the flag of the Japanese Military circa 1930-40s for similar reasons . I ,of course,would love to see a Sunfire Minimate in his classic costume .....I'm just pointing out the significance of the costume .

BTW the precedent for showing a Rising Sun Minimate costume was set years ago with the Indy character Kabuki but I'll bet it is no coincidence that her costume portrays fewer 'sun-rays' than the WW2 flag . I could elaborate on the significance of that but.............

...........I'm flagging. :thumbsup:

Edited by buttheadsmate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Q&A is up.

I almost don't want to say this because it might sound ungrateful, but as much as I love the fact that Chuck takes time out to do these, I frequently feel like he misses what some of the questions are really asking. The second question on there (mine) is a good example.

Edited by groundhog7s

Well, I guess that's the door soundly shut on a third wave of SFxT mates... :confused:

Yeah, but I have to admit that I'm okay with that, especially since the first wave was so bare bones. It's funny how even after three attempts, certain Street Fighter characters are just destined to be unreleased.

Unless DST gets a general "Capcom" license, I don't see Blanka getting many more opportunites for a 'mate. :confused:

Glad to see Chuck was open to my Black Widow suggestion as a possible replacement for the endless Thor/Hulk/Captain America/Iron Man variants we have gotten over the past few years. Since the Avengers movie gave them more exposure to a wider audience, it would be nice to see both her and Hawkeye get some of the slots normally reserved for the big 4 Avengers.

Edited by youbastards

New Q&A is up.

I almost don't want to say this because it might sound ungrateful, but as much as I love the fact that Chuck takes time out to do these, I frequently feel like he misses what some of the questions are really asking. The second question on there (mine) is a good example.

You'll guess that my question is 'loaded' GH but which 4 packs do you consider to be in need of a re-release ?

I'm in need of a decent debate so feel free to start a thread .......

"Something must be up." heh heh heh.

I too have read some of Chuck's answers and wondered "did you read the actual question?" I usually assume he either doesn't know, can't say, doesn't feel like opening that particular can of worms, or genuinely misread the question.

And since when does Zach tell Chuck what he can and cannot say? :rolleyes:

Man, there sure were a lot of familiar names in the Q&A this week... including mine, twice....:blush: Good questions though, guys. Well, I think we can definitely say that the Squadron Supreme's been planted in Chuck's head!:happy:

I think the main reason they don't rerelease sets is that DST tends to remake characters rather then rerelease them. I also wonder if you'd really get all that much retailer support if you resolicited items like, say, Spider-Man Friends and Foes or Uncanny X-Force, even though I believe both those sets specifically would do very well a second time around. Yes, even SMF&F. Say what you want about it, but it's got one new Spidey foe and two updated important Spidey characters. Anyway, I think Minimates are about looking ahead, not behind.

I'm not a video game guy, so I don't have any real interest in Street Fighter, but it's a shame that DST redid certain characters from the old SF line, and even used those same characters in more then one spot, without getting to at least one of the game's core characters. I feel for ya, SF guys.:sad:

So, if/when Carl and the other WD children are done, they'll be regular sized. Everyone okay with that?

New Q&A is up.

You'll guess that my question is 'loaded' GH but which 4 packs do you consider to be in need of a re-release ?

I'm in need of a decent debate so feel free to start a thread .......

Without starting a new thread (to debate in), I think of sets like Heroes, Villians, Uncanny X-Force, Classic X-Force, Infinity Gauntlet and Spidey F& F (with paint apps done right). It's not that I need any of those but I really just wonder why they don't re-release them.

Without starting a new thread (to debate in), I think of sets like Heroes, Villians, Uncanny X-Force, Classic X-Force, Infinity Gauntlet and Spidey F& F (with paint apps done right). It's not that I need any of those but I really just wonder why they don't re-release them.

I personally don't think that they would sell that well the second time around & if they sold well the first time then I would imagine DST would be well pleased & moving on .

I often consider which characters would warrant a re-release in a box-set...& which would definitely sell out ....I always start with the AIM guy & Hulk Buster whilst a revamped 616 Fury & of course a 'Champions' Black Widow would finish it off nicely. OK so an army builder might not sit well in a box set ....but two would :thumbsup:

I was in this one three times! :D

I'm hoping he'll take my "Thing" request to heart and it'll be like that. As is, I'm gettin' sick of supergluing the bicep covers on and trying like mad to get the on there perfect.

Not real enthused about my Mr. Fantastic answer, though. I guess I should've pointed out that I'm hoping for a blue/white and blue/black Mr. F with all the various attachments so it's possible to make a perfect one for either costume.

And no more plans for Street Fighter x Tekken? Man... guess I'll stop buying these guys before I started. No more classic Street Fighter II characters is a bummer for sure. :(

Edited by Mystery Man

Well, I guess that's the door soundly shut on a third wave of SFxT mates... :confused:

Well - that *is* a shame. I wasn't huge on these, but i was looking forward to seeing some of the SFII characters. I feel like they may have held off on some of the 'bigger names' from SF to put them in the third wave - but not having enough popular characters in the first two might have made the sales look a bit soft.

It's funny/sad that we've now got 3 or 4 Chun-Li's, but still no Dhalsim or Blanka :(

Normally i'd be campaigning like a mofo for more female characters - but this is one instance where i wish they'd pushed her back to Wave 3 & been able to give us just one more classic SF character.

Don't worry guys, in 2016 we will get another pass at Street Fighter 2. And we will get yet another Ryu and Chun-Li. :mellow:

:verymad: Yeah . . . . yeah.

Well - that *is* a shame. I wasn't huge on these, but i was looking forward to seeing some of the SFII characters. I feel like they may have held off on some of the 'bigger names' from SF to put them in the third wave - but not having enough popular characters in the first two might have made the sales look a bit soft.

It's funny/sad that we've now got 3 or 4 Chun-Li's, but still no Dhalsim or Blanka :(

Normally i'd be campaigning like a mofo for more female characters - but this is one instance where i wish they'd pushed her back to Wave 3 & been able to give us just one more classic SF character.

Don't worry guys, in 2016 we will get another pass at Street Fighter 2. And we will get yet another Ryu and Chun-Li. :mellow:

:verymad: Yeah . . . . yeah.

It's a shame really, as the final wave also had quite a few big hitters from Tekken (Paul, Law, Ogre and Jin spring to mind). Admittedly I'm more disappointed we won't get SFIV's Juri than I am some of the other SF characters (why did we get Rufus before her...?!). Maybe one day we'll get another shot at a SF line, and hopefully this one could include a nice mix of iconic and fan favourites.

• 3 weeks later...