UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DC minimate wave 7 detailed pics

MINI_MYTE

Okay.

DC minimates are very clearly and very consistently done in the style of the comics, not the animated show.Your argument that these are "cheap renditions of already released product" just doesn't hold water.

Clayface, Harley Quinn, Stargirl, Booster Gold are all spitting images of their Cartoon Counterparts. Even DR. Fate seems to take his cue from the show. There ARE animated style figures in the DCD line up. Taking that into account, it's clear DCD is aware both of the show and ergo the previous C3 lines.

Clayface has taken on the animated look in the comics, so that really isn't an argument for him. Harley looks the same no matter the media - she was born in the cartoon and immigrated to the books. Again, no points for you. Stargirl started out in a very animated-esque book - Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E., so again, an animated look is ok for her.

Booster and Dr Fate - not sure I follow you on those. They're pretty faithful to the books IMO.

So I say again. Batman, Flash and Nightwing are retreads of previously produced characters, where there is clear acknowledgment of the previous line, or at least the show it was inspired from.

While they may look very similar, they are clearly different. The amount of line work/detail on an animated style figure is much different from those representing the comic lines. Thus the difference between the C3 Flashes and the Wave 7 Flash. (Same could be said for Bats and Dick IMO.)

Whatever. I am NOT going to fight over this any more. I've already wasted too much time. I think wave 7 sucks and is probably the worst thus far. Go have fun with your reissues. I'll have fun with mine.

:)

I hope you don't think you're being attacked - I just think you have a long way to go to prove your POV that these are merely retreads from the previous line. (You know it's bad when SuperSpiderPiggy is telling you to knock it off.... :D)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would think that the fact alone that they were already done before and are being done again makes them retreads. but they're far from cheap, quickie reissues. some considerable effort has gone into making them unique. also, no way is Booster animated-style. the JLU booster doesn't even have blue as an accent color, i think.

"but the thrill of the hunt makes them that much more enjoyable."

"you only like them because it's an easy out."

the "thrill of the hunt" doesn't appeal much, if at all, to casual collectors and people who might want to try the line based on comics they've read just now -- if DCD is to hook new people into this line then it's in their and everyone's best interests that certain HTF figures be made available again.

and saying people are only getting these because they're an "easy out" is a disservice to both these people and the designers who put the effort into making these editions what they are. what, people buying toys and figurines should have to treat the process like a "run the gauntlet" knighthood-earning set of challenges now, avoiding and disdaining "easy outs"?

i'd be able to understand your dislike more if they were straight reissues, but they're *considerably* different [well, as much as they can be without being entirely new incarnations/era-looks of the characters], even including all-new sculpt parts. Batman i'll grant you seems excessive from a certain viewpoint, as he was already done and redone multiple times in c3 AND in dcd mates . but sounding the alarm for the FIRST redone Nightwing and Flash... erk.

Whatever. I am NOT going to fight over this any more. I've already wasted too much time. I think wave 7 sucks and is probably the worst thus far. Go have fun with your reissues. I'll have fun with mine.

:)

I hope you don't think you're being attacked - I just think you have a long way to go to prove your POV that these are merely retreads from the previous line. (You know it's bad when SuperSpiderPiggy is telling you to knock it off.... :D)

Nope. That's why I said I wouldn't fight. We're not there yet. I'm just making sure we won't get there.

LastMaxi: I guess there's 2 types of collectors. Those that do it because they enjoy it, and those they enjoy it because they do it. I never saw toy collecting as anything BUT a gauntlet, full of pit falls, broken hearts, snipers and crushed dreams. All for a little piece of plastic. It seems pathetic, but it's the greatest thing in the world to some.

MOC (EDIT: oh how quaint...): Bite me.

And yes, I'm aware I was mocked by SuperSpiderPiggy. Twice in fact. This is one of the greatest insults known to man. It shall not go unpunished. I shall make him cut down the tallest tree in the forest, with... a herring! NI!

So, we're all good. Wave 7 still blows chunks, but if everyone else likes it, that's cool. :biggrin: At the rate things usually go with me I'll be buying them, off a second or third hand collector 2 years from now, so DCD isn't going to see any of my money anyways. :whistling:

I'm really pleased they did a separate mask/head for Bats instead of the previously advertised sculpted head.

Matt, since we know you're reading, can you say whether our vociferous protests against sculpted heads had any bearing on this change? Will we be pleasantly surprised with the more of the same next week when Marvel 19 and 20 come out?...

Need I say that I love ALL Minimates (perhaps not LOR),but the ones to hoard will always be C3. Love the new Flash though!

If by LOR you mean LOTR, then I have to ask: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? Those were some of the best when it came to accesories and attenion to detail. Amazing.

As for 'being out of my mind' I thought that was common knowledge. Sorry about missing out that 'T' for 'the' ,unforgivable.....by the way there's one in 'attenTion' :mellow:

I would've prefered white eyes. The fact that you can see the eyes makes the character seem........wrong somehow I'm with Dinobot ;)

Well, it would be really easy to just stick a piece of white paper over his eyes and then stick the mask on to see if you prefer that look.

I like the clear eye look he has been given. It's comic accurate. Do a search for Wally West in google images. Only the animated look has white eyes as a rule.

foto4.jpg

LastMaxi: I guess there's 2 types of collectors. Those that do it because they enjoy it, and those they enjoy it because they do it. I never saw toy collecting as anything BUT a gauntlet, full of pit falls, broken hearts, snipers and crushed dreams. All for a little piece of plastic. It seems pathetic, but it's the greatest thing in the world to some.

it would seem, then, that you're talking to people who don't look at it the same way.

you don't have to think like them, and i wouldn't dream of suggesting that for its own sake. but it would help your case if you stopped stating opinions as fact ["Wave 7 still blows chunks" -- even if you say it's cool that everyone likes it, that doesn't say "to each his own" -- it just makes everyone look stupid for somehow liking something that "blows chunks"] and if you gave people's opinion the same chance you'd have them give yours. :D

in any event, man this is set to be an expensive 'mates month.

Personally, any C3 character that gets the DCD treatment is fine by me. C3 was a different line, with a different budget and different priorities. There was no complaining when Superman and Batman made the transition and they clearly look to be based on the same source material. I say they're all fair game, except the 9 million Bat variations. When we start getting Tactical Batman instead of some other character, then yes, we have a problem. But when they're making a better version with the new medium, then just let it slide.

If you want them, GO GET THEM. They aren't under lock and key. Sure you'll pay more, but the thrill of the hunt makes them that much more enjoyable.

Yeah....not footin' that big of a bill for figures that are, in my opinion, sub-par.

I think the C3 Martain Manhunter is HIDEOUS and can't wait for AA to retread him. Personally, I hope they make a modern costume version. BWA HA HA HA HA HA!

I picked up the set yesterday and I must say I love it! I was a bit worried about some of the pictures but the figures are great. I had my doubts about Nightwing since he was missing the gauntlet and boot pieces that the C3 Nightwing has and the chest and leg detail seemed a bit too much from the pictures but holding them both together for comparison I have to say that the DCD Nightwing is indeed the superior figure. I also had some reservations about Clayface and Grodd but I'm so glad that the sculpted pieces are solid. They add the weight and immensity that these guys deserve. The only bad thing I can say is that Grodd should be much darker. I thought they might have fixed that between solicit and production but he should be black. Or, at the very least, a much darker gray. As it is, he looks more like Solivar than Grodd (except for the face). I love that Flash is slightly sparkly. I love that he has the eye holes. While Wally did use the white lenses for a while in the comics, this does represent his current style. As for making a Barry Allen, I've found that the Series 7 (or Aparro/Adams, Classic, or whatever we're calling it) Bruce Wayne head and the Biff Tannen hairpiece work quite well (although, I might try to paint the Biff hairpiece yellow just to see if it would look better). The eye holes in the mask even line up with the Bruce Wayne eyes. Ambush Bug is awesome! Lobo is just perfect. The Main Man looks like a real mean bastich!

So if one were to customize a Barry Allen Flash, besides head and hair, what else do you need?

A different lightning pattern on the belt, yes.

What about the boots? Did Barry have the heavy treads or would standard C3 feet suit him better? What about the wings on the head?

So if one were to customize a Barry Allen Flash, besides head and hair, what else do you need?

A different lightning pattern on the belt, yes.

What about the boots? Did Barry have the heavy treads or would standard C3 feet suit him better? What about the wings on the head?

I know the old Super Powers Flash toy had treads on his feet, so it seems that that would stay the same, anyway.

I hope that DCD will still somehow release a Wally West Teen Titan, though. If they eventually release a Kid Flash, but go the lame-o Impulse/Kid Flash route, then I will not be happy.

Just received my set of wave 7.

Delighted with them, but have to mention The Flash. I love the detail of the more complex mates but the little additions to a relatively basic Wally elevate him into the top echelon for me.

First, he has a perfect cut-out newly sculpted mask - these are far preferable to the full face bat-cowls and remind me of my very first minimate, Bullseye and why I started to collect these little guys obsessively.

Secondly, the treads on his boots. Hardly noticeable but like Aquaman's calf fins a lovely, surprising touch.

Lastly, the ever so subtle pearlescent finish to his costume. It's brilliant. Don't get me wrong he doesn't look like Liberace but he has a noticeable sheen to him. The same kind of finish would look absolutely fantastic on a redone Silver Surfer. Really hope we see more of this effect when appropriate.

My case didn't come in last week and isn't on my LCS invoice for this week, either.

So could somebody post a picture of Flash with a Barry head to tide me over please?

PLEEEEEEASE?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/mini-m.../Flashfront.jpg

Um, I meant with a Barry Allen looking head, not the included Wally one.

Thanks though! :)

My case didn't come in last week and isn't on my LCS invoice for this week, either.

So could somebody post a picture of Flash with a Barry head to tide me over please?

PLEEEEEEASE?

http://www.minimatescentral.com/Flash2-3.jpg

PLEEEEEEASE?

http://www.minimatescentral.com/Flash2-3.jpg

hey ssp that is STILL Wally.

any Barry Allen head will be a custom. as all they have ever made is Wally Flash

PLEEEEEEASE?

If my camera wasn't broken I would totally take care of that for you. The more I look at it the more I like the Series 7 Bruce Wayne head and Biff Tannen hairpiece. I have to get an extra Flash now to make a permanent one.