UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Gaiman, I read Coraline since the movie is coming out this year. For a children's book there was definitely some dark and twisted stuff happening. It was very clever and entertaining. I am a fan of his Sandman series, but I haven't read any of his novels before this one. I will have to try some of his other ones.

I read a lot of non-fiction, mostly history. If you want an amazing look at the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, check out "The Forever War" by Dexter Filkins. It has been rated one of the Best of 2008 by Amazon, and won many other awards. I just started reading it so I'm only about half way though.

It is an unbiased and unflinching look at Afghanistan and Iraq by a reporter who managed to be places as events unfolded - Kabul as the Taliban took over in 1998, Ground Zero on 9/11, Tora Bora as Bin Laden escaped, and Baghdad as the US invaded. The fact that the author managed to survive long enough to write this book amazes me. Required reading for anyone interested in US History.

Edited by Jatta Pake

I'm in the middle of the sixth re-reading of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I am also almost done with Inkspell, the second in the Inkworld trilogy. Any lover of good books should read the Inkworld trilogy because all of the characters in that story are OBSESSED with books, so you get a lot of references to other stories.

Just finished a few books recently.

I've been reading the Emberverse books by S.M. Stirling. Got done with A Meeting At Corvalis. Not bad, but starting to get predictable.

Also just got done with The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. Rather enjoyed that one.

Name of the Wind is another good 1st in a series book by Patrick Rothfuss.

If you want some light horror/humor, you might try Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez. In the Company of Ogres is another good book by him as well. They're both short, but good reads.

Right now I'm reading The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green. I like his Nightside books, so I had to give this series a look. It's similar to the Dresden Files books but with a larger cast of characters.

If you want some light horror/humor, you might try Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez.

That book was one of the most rediculously hilarious things I've read in a long time. I mean, the book starts with a vampire and a werewolf randomly fighting Zombies. Holy shit, that's awesome.

Terry Pratchett's latest; Nation is well worth a look. Very sad and thought provoking in places but ultimately uplifting. It's not a discworld book either.

A completely different style of book but again very good indeed is Intruders by Michael Marshall. I'm a huge fan of Marshall. He started out writing very odd sci-fi under the name Michael Marshall Smith I'd recommend Only Forward and Spares to start with. But he's found a new niche in psychological horror and Intruders has a new spin on an old horror them.

If you like those then check out his trilogy Straw Men - Lonely Dead - Blood of Angels. Excellent stuff.

Trace Adkins has a book out. It is absolutely a must read. He solves all our problems on oil, energy, racism, immigration, prayer. It's awesome.

If you think I'm offensive... Well, let's just say he is everything I strive to be. Like Rush and Hanity rolled up into a red neck with a guitar and an audience of millions. XD

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone read any of the Wildcard series? I just read the latest one, and it was just as good as the orginal stories, I thought.

Monster Island, Monster Nation, Monster Planet. Those are the titles of some good Zombie fiction, a trilogy no less. David Wellington was the author.

Dead Sea. A must buy if you ever think about zombies. Brian Keene i beleive.

Edited by 616commando

I have been rereading the Kenzie/Gennaro series by Dennis Lehane and they are just as good as the first time I read them. If you like mysteries I would definately give them a read. The order or them is:

A Drink Before the War

Darkness Take My Hand

Sacred

Gone, Baby, Gone

Prayers For Rain

I also have the audiobooks if anyone is interested.

Anyone read any of the Wildcard series? I just read the latest one, and it was just as good as the orginal stories, I thought.

Monster Island, Monster Nation, Monster Planet. Those are the titles of some good Zombie fiction, a trilogy no less. David Wellington was the author.

Dead Sea. A must buy if you ever think about zombies. Brian Keene i beleive.

I think World War Z is the Greatest Zombie book ever. Even if you have read the book listen to the audiobook. It is the only one I have listened to that has a full cast!! Including Mark Hamill, Henry Rollins, Alan Alda. It is awesome.

Edited by minimadman

• 3 months later...

Well it's that time again: I'm necroing the book thread.

Because I have read an amazing book.

For those of you who have been following the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale you may know that the last book comes out in a few days. But do to a major cock-up by BJ's I managed to get the book today and read it in about 6 hours.

And it was damn perfect.

I will rank this novel amongst the best series endings I've ever read, next to Harry Potter. And I know that there are some series with crap endings so I know what I'm talking about. A series of Unfortunate Events for instance. Or the Twilight Saga, each had shit endings.

But Pendragon...

Damn.

If you've never heard of this book I highly recommend it. It's the story of a kid who gets dragged out of his house by his uncle to go out and save everything that ever is, was, and will be from a demon called Saint Dane.

It is indeed as awesome as it sounds.

The first book is called The Merchant of Death.

For those of you who have been following the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale you may know that the last book comes out in a few days. But do to a major cock-up by BJ's I managed to get the book today and read it in about 6 hours.

And it was damn perfect.

I will rank this novel amongst the best series endings I've ever read, next to Harry Potter. And I know that there are some series with crap endings so I know what I'm talking about. A series of Unfortunate Events for instance. Or the Twilight Saga, each had shit endings.

But Pendragon...

Damn.

If you've never heard of this book I highly recommend it. It's the story of a kid who gets dragged out of his house by his uncle to go out and save everything that ever is, was, and will be from a demon called Saint Dane.

sounds pretty interesting actually....I am looking for some new books to get into as I am reading the Twilight series and also plugging through Brisingr.....something new would be great to try out

Jeff of the Miniacs

And it was damn perfect.

But Pendragon...

Damn.

sounds pretty interesting actually....I am looking for some new books to get into as I am reading the Twilight series and also plugging through Brisingr.....something new would be great to try out

Jeff of the Miniacs

Do yourself a favor and pretend Twilight ends with Eclipse. I'm totally serious.

And yes, it is interesting. It gets really complicated and many many questions and theories are raised throughout the series. But what I like about this one is it leaves no room for doubt. It's over.

Read Cormac McCarthy's "All the Pretty Horses" a few weeks ago. Amazing book.

Trace Adkins has a book out. It is absolutely a must read. He solves all our problems on oil, energy, racism, immigration, prayer. It's awesome.

If you think I'm offensive... Well, let's just say he is everything I strive to be. Like Rush and Hanity rolled up into a red neck with a guitar and an audience of millions. XD

Is that that "Honky Tonk Badonk Badonk" guy? I hate that guy.

Edited by karamazov80

Sigh, I feel like I haven't finished a book in weeks. The last book I've finished reading was Ronin Ro's "Tales To Astonish", pretty much a biography of Jack Kirby. I just got it for less than four bucks at a secondhand bookstore, but it's pretty cool getting this sort of behind-the-scenes look at the mainstream comic industry in general, including the DC-Marvel rivalry, the mid-nineties comic slump and Kirby's last few years in the limelight.

• 3 weeks later...

So we have a "What Are You Playing??" thread, and now we have one for books. Basically what the description says; discuss any type of book, say what you're reading currently, give advice on what to be picking up, criticise the economy for affecting our effing comic-buying, oggle Blair Butler (i like this one :P), whatever.

As of right now i am re-reading Green Lantern: No Fear TP and, for the first time, Kraven's Last Hunt HC. Let me just say, Kraven's is such a great story; never have i loved the character more than this, and i really wish

he hadn't killed himself. They'd do wonders with him today. Kraven: Rebirth, anyone??

:P

Luckily my wallet is named "dogsitting" and "Mommy Dearest" so my floppies-budget hasn't dropped too much. I'm reading a lot of titles right now, but if you really want to know i'll make a list. :P

What about you all?? Discuss away.

I am currently reading a book called Emergency: This book my save your life. It is non fiction and was written by a guy named Neal Strauss and it is about his journey into the survivalist culture in a post 9-11 America.

Kraven's Last Hunt HC. Let me just say, Kraven's is such a great story; never have i loved the character more than this, and i really wish

he hadn't killed himself. They'd do wonders with him today. Kraven: Rebirth, anyone??

:P

What about you all?? Discuss away.

Well - i'm actually re-reading Runaways. I genuinely think it is one of the coolest, sweetest & funniest books released in a long while. I don't know why they keep cancelling ti & relaunching it. Maybe i'm the only one reading it? LOL. They are being sold as Manga-sized TPB's for like $8 each, so it's a bit of a bargain too! i think each volume has about 6 issues in it.

RE: Kraven - The recent 'SpiderMan & the X-Men’ series, which spans about 2 decades, featured appearances from several X-Men & Spiderman villains including

Carnage, Sinister, Blob & Kraven. In fact - there is a possibility that through this story arch, Kraven *may* return in one form or another.

I am currently reading old back issues of Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans. Terrific stuff, still one of my favorite runs of any comic book that I've read. In terms of actual "book" books, I picked up Chuck Palahniuk's "Diary" about a week ago, and I will get to it shortly. . .

In fact - there is a possibility that through this story arch, Kraven *may* return in one form or another.

Good lord I hope not. He had a great, final story and after that, is one of the dead comic characters who should stay dead, IMO.

Edited by karamazov80

I am currently reading old back issues of Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans. Terrific stuff, still one of my favorite runs of any comic book that I've read. In terms of actual "book" books, I picked up Chuck Palahniuk's "Diary" about a week ago, and I will get to it shortly. . .

In fact - there is a possibility that through this story arch, Kraven *may* return in one form or another.

Good lord I hope not. He had a great, final story and after that, is one of the dead comic characters who should stay dead, IMO.

I completely agree.

He's a great character, and i'd love to see him return and all, but it's just too soon. I just really hate that suicide was his means of escape. Never hunting i can understand, but that was just so...un-Kravenish; kinda like the end of One in BSG; it just doesn't fit.

As for regular books for me, there is this really great book i just picked up from my library during a sale they had. Never stocked on the shelf for some reason and originally priced at $30; i got it for $2. ;) It's called Darkside and is a fiction about a murder at the US Naval Academy; i'm kind of a Navy-buff. My Dad was joking becasue he only saw the title, assumed BSG/Star Wars related, and said that it was right up my alley. When i read him the description he was like "Wow. I'm good, huh??" It's a great mystery; i recommend it.

Actually we already had a book thread Here! that had slipped onto the second page of this very section.

*EDIT* I Merged the two threads to keep things tidy*

As for what I'm reading (or in this case re-reading) comics wise, it's the latest two volumes of Ironman (V4&5).

So in short that's from the extremis storyline to date. Have to say I'm loving the Iron Man books but hating what they are doing to Tony Stark, it will get better soon though and I see new armor and a return to grace for TS before dark reign is over.

T.

p.s. Current IM story spoiler:

Does anyone else love the armor made for pepper potts?