UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

616commando's list of excellent books; (will update as i remember)

Deathstalker series by Simon Green. Has anyone else read this series?!? I'd have to put the whole series on the top of my list.

Replay by Ken Grimwood. Awesomely life changing book.

Has anyone read the Darth Bane book? the sequal comes out early next year, and the first was excellent. It got me back into Star Wars fiction.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siddhartha was a bum, an elitest bum no less. I hated that book with the fire of a thousand suns. Jurassic Park was wonderful-I'd looked forward to reading it ever since my Mom told me about it when I was five. Of course, she only told me since I wanted to know why I had to take out the trash now-she was scared the velociraptors would get her. I would point out I wasn't tall enough to actually put the bags in the trash barrels-I generally lifted the lid on tip toes and threw them in. I figured the book had to be wicked awesome if my neatfreak Mom was willing to risk me spilling garbage all over our driveway.

The Song of Ice and Fire series by G. R. R. Martin is amazing-think English War of the Roses meets fantasy. Throw in dragons, incest, and a lot of realistic characters and it'll blow your mind. Warning: I am a total history nerd, so take that into account.

Old man's war by John Scalzi is the only book I can sit and read for six hours straight.

Ender verse series by Orsen Scott Card are simply amazing!!!

The Battlestar Galactica novels for the new series I enjoy an awful lot.

What can I say, Science fiction is a good read.

I really enjoyed reading A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss, and I'm currently reading Dan Brown's Angels & Demons - a good read, but sometimes it's annoyingly similar to DaVinci Code. My highest recommendations go to John Irving's A Prayer For Owen Meaney, Alex Haley's Roots, and Alan Moore's Watchmen (hey, it counts!).

I have read all of Dan Brown's stuff while after his 4th book, it gets rather obvious what is going on, I still really enjoy them.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent are an awesome trilogy.

My favorite book of all time and the one I have passed on to many others...

Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves

It will make your brain hurt, jump for joy, and freak you out at every sound all at once.

And of course all Chuck Paluniuk books esp. Lulliby and Survivor.

Great idea for a thread... I'm a sporadic reader I'll read nothing for months then get the bug and chew threw 2-3 books in a row. I also love to hear what others recommend, it helps me to diversify my reading habits rather than read the same few authors all the time. I'll read pretty much anything that takes my fancy but tend to flip between classic and contemporary fiction depending on mood (Anyone else love to go into bookstores and just pick up something new based on an 'on-the-spot' gut feeling?).

I just finished reading 'The picture of Dorean Gray by Oscar Wilde', a book with some great concepts & dialog but I wasn't really wowed by it.

I guess this is more of a favourite book vibe than a read recently thread so...

All time fave book is a toss up between One flew over the cuckoo's nest by Ken Kesey & To kill a Mockingbird by

Harper Lee.

I'm not giving a list of recommended authors or books as there are too many I'd want to squeeze in and this post would be way too long...

T.

If anyone saw the movie "Master & Commander: Far Side of the World" - Patrick O'Brian has a 21 book series that takes those characters through their careers as British Royal Navy Officers during the Napoleonic Wars. There's a lot of great detail and excellent conflicts and battles. I've read all 21 books and found them extremely entertaining.

Likewise, C.S. Forester wrote about 13 books in the Horatio Hornblower series. These are set in the same era as the Master & Commander books, but with very different central characters.

I can't believe someone else has read it! Fabulous book I read it in the early 90's and have read it a few times since then.

Currently re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and enjoying it even more this time.

I recommend When Gravity Fails and it's follow ups. Written by the late George Alec Effinger, it's noir Cyber-Punk set in a semi-recognisable Middle East country and is rammed with over the top characters and action.

I just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown, which started out slow, but really grabbed me about halfway through. I also finished Book 6 of the Dark Tower series - only one left to go! I am currently reading the first book in the Dragon Riders of Pern series, and so far I really like it.

I read like crazy. Constantly have a book in my hand or somewhere about for down time.

Gotta agree with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've never seen the movie because the book was so descriptive, I'm afraid the movie would take away some of the experience from the book.

Also, anything by Gaiman is an immediate purchase for me. Good choice there Rad!

Dark Tower (along with most King stuff lately) has lost me. Too much of a delay between books. Yes, I know, all his books are part of the Dark Tower series in a way, but they just aren't the same. I still haven't picked up the final 2 books in the series. 'Cell' is the last King book I read and was pleased with.

Currently I'm reading 'The Summoner' by Gail Z Martin. It was one of those 'gut feeling' purchases. I'm pleased with it enough that I'll pick up the next book in the series. (Whenever that comes out)

Another good read is anything by Jim Butcher. He's the author of 'The Dresden Files' and 'Codex Alera' - both very good series IMO.

Next on my list is 'I Am Legend'. I should be starting that in the next day or so.

I read like crazy. Constantly have a book in my hand or somewhere about for down time.

Gotta agree with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've never seen the movie because the book was so descriptive, I'm afraid the movie would take away some of the experience from the book.

Also, anything by Gaiman is an immediate purchase for me. Good choice there Rad!

I'm the same mate. Always reading whenever I get a chance. I tend more towards Science Fiction but will occassionally plough through an autobiography if the writer is interesting enough.

I've only read Gaiman's American Gods and Anansi Boys, both are great books. I really should pick up more of his stuff.

Dark Tower (along with most King stuff lately) has lost me. Too much of a delay between books. Yes, I know, all his books are part of the Dark Tower series in a way, but they just aren't the same. I still haven't picked up the final 2 books in the series. 'Cell' is the last King book I read and was pleased with.

Dark Tower started clumsily but soon took off and had the makings of a true modern fantasy epic. Unfortunately some pissed-up lunatic decided to drive a truck into Stephen King and books 5, 6, and 7 (all written post recovery) were all about diminishing returns. Wolves of the Calla was bearable, but Song of Susannah and Dark Tower were dreadfully spoiled by King's 'meta' storytelling where he himself was a character in his book. I used to get told off at school for including myself in stories I'd written. :D

The Dark Tower series left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have no inclination whatsoever to read another book by Stephen King.

I just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown, which started out slow, but really grabbed me about halfway through. I also finished Book 6 of the Dark Tower series - only one left to go! I am currently reading the first book in the Dragon Riders of Pern series, and so far I really like it.

The bools of the Pern series are wonderfully descriptive. I read these when I was younger and was like a rabid dog buying up all the books....and there are alot of them!! If you like dragons without all the typical fantasy swords and armor stories the books set on Pern will be a hit for sure!!

as for myself I am an insane reader too...always reading...unfortunatly my CanLit class in school has me busy reading books for that class that I barely even have the time to read comics nevermind pour myself into a book....I am a pretty open reader, wiling to go with my gut and try new things and seldom am I disapointed...I am currently waiting patiently for the 3rd book in the Inheiretence trilogy...Eragon and Eldest were awsome books...if you liked the movie the book is ten time better and Eldest is even better then that

Jeff of the Minis

While I don't "read" book I do devour them by listening to them on my Ipod. I go through about a book every 2-4 weeks depending on how long the book is and how busy I am. I got through Dune in about 2 weeks, although I was pretty busy.

I love Stephen King, While his stuff does change after the accident it is still great. I have also been reading his books because I can't find them on cd. right now I am in the middle of the Tommynockers.

Also a big fan of Peter David, he writes comics but his books are great. His star trek books are fantastic, he also wrote a trilogy of king Arthur coming back in modern time. It was not great but it was fun.

Dan Brown is good too. I enjoyed his stuff and am eagerly awaiting the final chapter of Robert Lagdon.

This thread is great you have given me some great ideas to check out thanks!

616commando's list of excellent books; (will update as i remember)

Deathstalker series by Simon Green. Has anyone else read this series?!? I'd have to put the whole series on the top of my list.

Has anyone read the Darth Bane book? the sequal comes out early next year, and the first was excellent. It got me back into Star Wars fiction.

I read the Dath Bane book and anticipate reading the sequel coming out in December. I have read every Star Wars novel I know of (even all of the scholastic books) and I just finished reading Death Star which was OK but nothing to really talk about. I am now reading Legacy of the Force Fury and it is awesome I can't get enough Star Wars reading material. Anyway the Darth Bane book was good I really enjoyed it and it coincides with Jedi vs Sith the comic book series which is one of the good things about Star Wars as of late that they have got their continuity in check so that thing intertwine well.

Robert A. Heinlein is my favorite all time sci fi author good first reads for him would be

stranger in a strange land, The moon is a harsh mistress and J.O.B. a comedy of justice

all of his books are great reads, starship troopers was based on a RAH book if you like that kind of thing

I agree with Jeff, the Inheritance Trilogy (so far two books) is fantastic. I saw the movie first and enjoyed it and so bought the books. They are so much better than the rubbish adaptation that they put on the screen.

I love reading Star Wars books. I've read almost all, but the New Jedi Order books. I really do not like them, especially as

Chewie dies in the first one.

I bought Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future at the weekend, and will be starting them soon.

I also like Sherlock Holmes books, by Arthur Conan Doyle. I had to read Hound of the Baskervilles for school and loved it. I'm hoping to get more for Christmas.

I have to disagree about Inheritance. Paolini has done everything in acrazy way and it sounds like Star Wars but slower paced and with Dragons. e Killed the single best character in the middle of the first oe, the second best dies at the beginning of the second, and Paolini picked a slightly weak character for the main character. I like the beginnings and the book endings are OK, but, muc like Tolkein, he doesn't know how to write an interesting middle. Tolkein's middles at least had interesting characters (albeit the Two Towers second half sucked until Shelob.) whereas, like I have said, Paolini kills off all of his interesting characters and leaves the boring ones to continue the story.

The bools of the Pern series are wonderfully descriptive. I read these when I was younger and was like a rabid dog buying up all the books....and there are alot of them!! If you like dragons without all the typical fantasy swords and armor stories the books set on Pern will be a hit for sure!!

as for myself I am an insane reader too...always reading...unfortunatly my CanLit class in school has me busy reading books for that class that I barely even have the time to read comics nevermind pour myself into a book....I am a pretty open reader, wiling to go with my gut and try new things and seldom am I disapointed...I am currently waiting patiently for the 3rd book in the Inheiretence trilogy...Eragon and Eldest were awsome books...if you liked the movie the book is ten time better and Eldest is even better then that

Jeff of the Minis

Prepare to be saddened

The Inheritance CYCLE

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

by Max Brooks

I just pray DST gets the movie license (slated for release in 2008). The book is a New York times best seller and lays the groundwork for a long franchise of kick butt sci-fi/political/action movies. A fanstastic book.

Alpha Team Minimates with "Lobos" are a must!

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

by Max Brooks

I am intrigued. What is it about and what makes it different from the myriad of other zombie stuff currently out?

I very stupidly forgot to mention the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett earlier. He's simply the greatest in my book. In a world full of dwarves, trolls, and vampires on the Black Ribbon program (like AA for vamps) he managed in Thud! to write one of the best treatise on what fuels racism while still being humorous and entertaining. I would not recommend starting with his early work though, he doesn't really hit his stride until Wyrd Sisters in my opinon. It's a wonderful satire on Macbeth, theatre, and the power of words. If I was forced to pick only one author's body of work to read over and over again for the rest of my life, it would be him.

Example of his greatness:

"Interestingly enough, the gods of the Disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of the dead, and so people only go to hell if that's where they truly believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't go if they don't know about it. This explains why it is important to shoot missionaries on sight."

-Terry Pratchett, Eric

I am intrigued. What is it about and what makes it different from the myriad of other zombie stuff currently out?

It's written as series of accounts on a zombie hollocaust as if a reporter was collecting eyewitness reports after the fact.

PM me your address and I'll send you my copy, that way you can read it and judge for yourself!

I very stupidly forgot to mention the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett earlier.

Pratchett is a genius to mix in the themes he does and get away with not making you feel he's ramming them down your throat . You're right the first few books are probably not the best place to start and Wyrd Sisters is a good a place to start as any, My Favourites are probably still Small Gods or Mort.

Having said that I'm not up to date with his stuff though and I can't read him too often as I suffered burnout on his stuff after reading him too often a few years back.

T.