UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

Reading a very cool, very accessible history/political science book called "Why Nations Go To War" by John Stoessinger. He takes a political psychological approach to explaining the onset of conflict, which runs against the conventional wisdom of international relations theory, but is right up my alley.

Not dry or academic by any stretch, and worth checking out if you are into such things.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am reading Eoin Colfer's And Another Thing which is a continuation of Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And as a Guide fan, I can confirm that Colfer got it. His humor is a bit less... cerebral than Adams's, but be that as it may, it's still an amazing book so far. It's part closure, part "We owe this to the fans" and part author having fun. And all good. So far at least. I'll tell you when I finish if I think it was worth it. But hey, it's better than Mostly Harmless. Which isn't saying much as I spent a good part of Mostly Harmless in a state of utter "What the fuck is going on here?!?!?!?!" so I was not the biggest fan of it...

Anyway, And Another Thing. Good so far.

WTF?!!! that sounds like a terrible idea, the best thing about Adams work was that it was uniquely Adams and nothing was even close!

T.

That's the usual outcry. Not surprised to see it. But hey, he's got the style right. That's what I was worried about the most. Half-empty, half-full, I don't care. I just wanted the series to end on a better note than Adams left it in and I wanted it to be written well. Colfer has, so far, done both.

Oh, and he brought back Wowbanger the Infinately Prolonged. Who is officially awesome. The guy's on a quest to get killed and Zaphod is trying to introduce him to Thor. It's great.

That's the usual outcry. Not surprised to see it. But hey, he's got the style right. That's what I was worried about the most. Half-empty, half-full, I don't care. I just wanted the series to end on a better note than Adams left it in and I wanted it to be written well. Colfer has, so far, done both.

Oh, and he brought back Wowbanger the Infinately Prolonged. Who is officially awesome. The guy's on a quest to get killed and Zaphod is trying to introduce him to Thor. It's great.

I just read the first chapter on amazon... and to quote a certain android... I'm suddenly feeling very depressed!

I think I'd prefer to pretend it doesn't exist and that the trilogy finishes with the 5th book...

T.

I think I'd prefer to pretend it doesn't exist and that the trilogy finishes with the 5th book...

T.

... or you can do what I did and pretend the trilogy ended just like the radio plays:

everybody with a Babel fish was deus ex machina'd to safety to the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, where Arthur gets reunited with a safe-and-sound Fenchurch

Sorry, I'm a sucker for happy endings ;)

I just finished the Harry Potter series all the way through for the first time since the seventh one came out. It was like falling in love all over again. I have also just started the book from David Cross There's a Reason I Drink. It's pretty funny if you like David Cross.

So I read pretty much everything Star Wars that comes out and this week the book Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber came out and I think its pretty cool to mix SW and a zombie type story. Read on for a paragraph that is simply a new kind of thing in SW books!

". . . . .squeezed both triggers. The effect at close range was nothing short of spectacular. Warden Kloth's entire cranial vault sheared away in a dense cloud of scarlet, gristle and bone. His neck and shoulders flopped sideways, torqued on some invisible axis with the leftover momentum of the energy blast, and then landed with a wet splat, skidding backward in the spattered reservoir of blood."

So far the book is pretty good, but that is coming from someone who simply enjoys everything SW that I read. :blush:

Addition- I have now finished this book and man do I wish they would make this into a movie. I love SW and I love Zombie movies. . . .hence this would be a great movie!

Edited by gambitron

• 5 weeks later...

I am getting a lot farther into Dresden Files. And if this does not convince you to convert ot reading this series, there is nothing that will:

Polka powered zombie tyrannosaurus rex skeleton killing an army of zombies raised by 3 necromancers.

So I read pretty much everything Star Wars that comes out and this week the book Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber came out and I think its pretty cool to mix SW and a zombie type story.

I started this book last week and am almost done with it. I never read books, but would highly recommend this one. It's the 'Marvel Zombies' of the Star Wars universe and it's done very well. Not knowing much about it beforehand really helped too. I assumed it was just a zombie book told in the SWU and didn't expect any real established character interaction, but was pleasantly surprised. I've read a few SW novels over the years, but this is the best.

Edited by groundhog7s

I am getting a lot farther into Dresden Files. And if this does not convince you to convert ot reading this series, there is nothing that will:

Polka powered zombie tyrannosaurus rex skeleton killing an army of zombies raised by 3 necromancers.

You had me at "Polka."

Just bought myself two new books yesterday.

Necronomicon shall officially be my first shot at H.P. Lovecraft. I have no idea why I've never read anything of his before when he's almost as renowned a cult writer as Poe, probably because our local bookstores don't stock many of his books anymore. (Ursula LeGuin also seems to get a bad of case of this, fortunately the situation is being remedied with Douglas Adams) I would've liked reading the Cthulhu Mythos before Necronomicon first, but I'd rather get a good print copy of it first than break my neck reading it downloaded from the Net.

My second purchase was Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's infamous novella Venus In Furs. I basically bought this book for exactly two reasons:

1. Because I was sick of all the Twilight hype

2. Because of the Velvet Underground song

Next I should probably invest in some Dune or Terry Pratchett. Or maybe Jasper Fforde?

NR if you truly wish to enjoy Lovecraft you should read it in large chunks, while alone at night, preferably by candlelight.

And do not look away from the page, you will not want to see anything but the words on the page. I personally prefer to read Lovecraft as I fall asleep. I feel the vague haze you have just before your eyes shut lends it self greatly to his imagination. I would also recommend looking up the dream cycle.

NR if you truly wish to enjoy Lovecraft you should read it in large chunks, while alone at night, preferably by candlelight.

And do not look away from the page, you will not want to see anything but the words on the page. I personally prefer to read Lovecraft as I fall asleep. I feel the vague haze you have just before your eyes shut lends it self greatly to his imagination. I would also recommend looking up the dream cycle.

Falling asleep by candlelight sounds like a very BAD idea! Consult your local fire marshall! ;)

Today was the annual employee book giveaway at my work. There's a huge selection of books to choose from and you can have all that you can fit in a box. I scored a copy of Pride and Predjudice and Zomies and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters among other things. And it was a great place to stock up for Christmas. That's one of the job perks I always enjoy.

Today was the annual employee book giveaway at my work. There's a huge selection of books to choose from and you can have all that you can fit in a box. I scored a copy of Pride and Predjudice and Zomies and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters among other things. And it was a great place to stock up for Christmas. That's one of the job perks I always enjoy.

Jeez... where the heck do you work?