UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New books time!!! (Because I enjoy getting new books just about as much as getting new toys :D)

I made a spur-of-the-moment trip to a secondhand bookstore today and got myself four shiny almost-new books for just a little over ten dollars. I got:

- Jacob's Room, Virginia Woolf (for my brother)

- On Fairy-Stories, J.R.R. Tolkien (so my college degree can still carry some relevance)

- Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson (Yay!)

- Flatland, Edwin Abbott (Double yay!)

My sci-fi phase is getting ridiculous. Come next year I'll probably be big into my political nonfiction phase. Bleh.

Very anticlimactic; I mean (for anyone who hasn't read it already, spoiler alert), the main character dies less than 1/2 way through!

Yeah, but it's when he comes back (with a vengeance) that a Hell breaks loose.

A bummer that sequel is taking so long to get released though <_<

I'm pretty certain you're not going to make the 2 hour drive from San Diego just to see me Rob.

Actually I'm 100% certain.

Here's my phone number

310-367-3319

Be careful of what you're certain of ! As for the phone number .....lovely pizza !

There are very few things that I am certain of. I am certain that if there is a literal Hell, I am going on a full scholarship.

I am also 100% certain that you will not be making a 2 hour drive to come into my little area of Southern California.

I'm pretty certain you're not going to make the 2 hour drive from San Diego just to see me Rob.

Here's my phone number

310-367-3319

Be careful of what you're certain of ! As for the phone number .....lovely pizza !

There are very few things that I am certain of. I am certain that if there is a literal Hell, I am going on a full scholarship.

I am also 100% certain that you will not be making a 2 hour drive to come into my little area of Southern California.

I'm fairly certain, not 100% mind you, but fairly certain that this has nothing to do with books. Soooo... :offtopic:

The strangest thing, Trekker... after reading your post last night I suddenly got inspired to finally dig up my copy of Good Omens and get down to reading it.

So far I'm just a few pages in, and it's already making me burst at the sides. :D

Also, this is gonna sound like an odd observation but the typeface on my edition totally reminds me of Anne Rice. :blink:

Here's my phone number

310-367-3319

I'm fairly certain, not 100% mind you, but fairly certain that this has nothing to do with books. Soooo... :offtopic:

And you've never made an off-topic post in your history of posting?

And you've never made an off-topic post in your history of posting?

Will you two stop flirting with each other in front of the children! B)

As for good omens, I read it way back in the day ( first edition hardback, so before Gaimen or Pratchett were as stupidly successful as they are now), so it's been a long time, in fact I can't even remember the plot but after all the praise heaped on it in here I think I'll have to dig it out again.

T.

• 4 weeks later...

Back on the subject of books, I picked up The Strain byChuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro and havent been able to put it down. Really suspenseful and full of wit and black humor. Del Toro is my idol for filmmaking and screenwriting and this book is easily one of my favorite things hes done. Read the hell out of The Strain. I also read a book called We by Euegeni Zamyatin, and it blew hard.

Just finished Good Omens and I would definitely agree the book is great and I am forcing my wife to read it. I am now reading Year of the Black Rainbow by Claudio Sanchez and Peter David. So far it is pretty good, but a bit like reading a movie script. He explains just a bit too much.

Finished Good Omens a week or two ago and forgot to post here.

Damn that's good. Seriously. Crowley has to be one of the funniest characters I've read in years. In fact I think the last character I read who was as funny as him was Luna Lovegood. I'm impressed and I'm glad I got it.

Just finished The Year of the Black Rainbow. Good story but because it was a prequel it had an obvious ending. Again if you are a Coheed and Cambria fan I would definitely recommend it as it fills in many of the gaps in the story.

I just started Imajica by Clive Barker. It is too early to tell if this will be as good as I hope.

Just finished The Year of the Black Rainbow. Good story but because it was a prequel it had an obvious ending. Again if you are a Coheed and Cambria fan I would definitely recommend it as it fills in many of the gaps in the story.

I just started Imajica by Clive Barker. It is too early to tell if this will be as good as I hope.

I've read a lot of barkers earlier stuff when I wa a teenager, even met the guy briefly at SDCC way back in the day thanks to AA. Whatever happened to the whole jump tribe thing?

He has a very perculiar style of writing, it feels very oily to me and is hard to describe exactly what I mean...

Let me know what you think...

T.

I'm a big fan of Barker's fantasy stuff. Imajica is a great read one I've revisited several times. If you enjoy that then try The Great and Secret Show and its sequel Everville. Weaveworld is a fun romp too.

I'm currently racing through House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds. Fantastic high concept Sci-Fi. I've lost count of how many 'stupidly big things' there are in it. First time I've read anything by Reynolds but if all his stuff is this good then I'm hooked.

Even sweeter, I got it for free thanks to an offer in last months SFX :D

I read Shutter Island while on vacation. It was well-written and enjoyable, but the whole time I kept saying, "This better not end with blah blah blah." And it that's exactly how it ended. I love a good mystery, and even though this one was a bit predictable and somewhat nonsensical, there was enough there for me to enjoy it.

I also started the Hitchhiker's Guide sequel And Another Thing. I'm rather painfully trying to finish it now for no other reason than I started it. It fails to accomplish. The author is trying too hard to be Douglas Adams. There have been quite a few passages that seem to just go on and on, like the author was trying a way to figure out how to end it but couldn't and so just kept writing. Other passages are full of jokes so clever they have ceased to be clever or even jokes, really. Add to that the largely off characterizations of well established characters, and you end up with something that just shouldn't have been published

Other passages are full of jokes so clever they have ceased to be clever or even jokes, really.

Turtle, I applaud this sentence. It is quintessentially Adamsesque, and should be enshrined as such. :D

I just re-read Clockwork Orange. I read it years ago, but unbeknownst to me, the USA release of the book was missing the last chapter. ALSO, Kubrick's movie screenplay was written based on the USA version of the book, so a chapter short of Burgess' original work.

It can be a tough read until you get a grip on the "Nadsat" language that Burgess created as a fictitious teen slang. Once you know what the words refer to, its a breeze.

I just invisioned a teen ButtheadsMate as Alex, viddying ptitsas and enjoying a chai with his droogs at the Korova Milk Bar.