UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Wave 87: X-Men

New X-Men coming in 2025.... probably. 

On 2/28/2024 at 4:46 AM, DSTZach said:

No plans for new/current X-Men looks -- I think we've decided that new and fresh is not always the best way to go, in case looks turn out to be short-lived or not well-received. The next few sets are decidedly nostalgic, and the X-Men set we have planned is very 1980s. BUT it does have an obscure X-Villain in it!

On 3/1/2024 at 7:20 AM, DSTZach said:

The X-set is Series 87, so it would PROBABLY be early 2025. 

Even if it's not locked in,  it's good enough for to get excited and to start wishlisting. 
The 'obscure X-Villain' clue has me hoping we might see a member the Marauders from Mutant Massacre or perhaps S'ym/N'astirh from Inferno.
What obscure 80s villain are y'all hoping to see?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inferno and Mutant Massacre are clear choices, but they're both so big. It would be tough to whittle the characters down to five key players. 

Mutant Massacre seems even more difficult than Inferno. With that one, it can at least be kept to the main conflict with Goblin Queen and Limbo. Maybe a Limbo-armor Magik is in our midst? Packed with Goblin Queen and S'ym?

My heart yearns for a set commemorating the Brood Saga, off the heels of the relatively recent Phoenix wave. Although, I recognize that it may not be "80s" enough. 

Sprite
Deathbird
Brood-Infected Wolverine
Binary
Maybe another Starjammer, Ch'od & Cr'reee?

But, like I said, this storyline is the last gasp of the Cockrum era. Very 70's, not really 80s. 

27 minutes ago, NerdyTrev said:

My heart yearns for a set commemorating the Brood Saga, off the heels of the relatively recent Phoenix wave. Although, I recognize that it may not be "80s" enough. 

Sprite
Deathbird
Brood-Infected Wolverine
Binary
Maybe another Starjammer, Ch'od & Cr'reee?

But, like I said, this storyline is the last gasp of the Cockrum era. Very 70's, not really 80s. 

As I have said before, I would buy the s#!t out of this! 

You're all hopeful but the 5 figure limit basically means it's going to be about 3 or 4 figures you don't want and then maybe 1 and a half that you do.

And when it comes to 80s X-Men, what don't we have? Madelyne Pryor, Legion, Gateway, etc. 

Do you realise how unlikely it is that the sheer amount of recognisable and profitable X-Men characters have to first be decided against to get us room for a Caliban??

Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Magneto... there's just no chance in my eyes. We will get thrown a bone with a Sebastian Shaw or a High Evolutionary but the rest is going to be another Wolverine variant we've already had and maybe if we're lucky a headmaster Magneto or Savage Land Rogue or whatever.

Maybe we are hopeful, but I want to disagree with you. I think X-Men fans are plentiful enough and, especially with the high-profile revival of the animated show which is presumably adapting the storyline we receive minimates of (topical, anyone?), likely to be interested in some merchandising. 

Zach said it includes an obscure X-Villain. Is Goblin Queen obscure? I don't think she is. I feel like X-Men fans and even general Marvel comics lovers know about Goblin Queen. It might be safe to assume that the villain in question is either N'astirh or the easier-to-engineer S'ym. That in mind, I could see four of the five slots being filled thusly:

Goblin Queen with baby Nathan.
Mister Sinister
S'ym/N'astirh
Magik

Who takes the last spot? You choose. It could be Colossus, or a Wolverine variant, or another New Mutant, maybe Havok as Goblin Prince if we're getting wild. But, we received Cyclops and Jean in the costumes they wore during this story not too long ago and they are still somewhat readily available. 

Hopeful? Yes. Unrealistic? No.

Simply put ,there can't be anyone who isn't happy with at least one of the 67 different Wolverine Minimates we have had . I am however personally dissatisfied that not one of the 7 Colossi that have been produced is definitive IMHO .....big boots do not make a big character.

Wake me up when the Mimic is announced .

51 minutes ago, buttheadsmate said:

I am however personally dissatisfied that not one of the 7 Colossi that have been produced is definitive IMHO .....big boots do not make a big character.

This

29 minutes ago, Padrino said:

is that a hint?

That sounds like a call for one of my favorite things on the board, rampant speculation.

And reading hidden messages in Zach's words (that he never intended). 🤣

45 minutes ago, Padrino said:

is that a hint?

I just meant that we were leaning more in Trev's direction than AF McGill's. 

Of the five figures and one mini-figure in the set, there are NO original X-Men and only ONE All-New X-Man, in a variant we've never done. 

And depending on how you count, there are three villains. 

Edited by DSTZach

37 minutes ago, DSTZach said:

So, my guess:

-likely a Goblin Queen

-likely a DarkChylde (demon or fully armored)

-Inferno-corrupted versions of X-characters (Malice is probably too much to ask for, but one can hope)

- I hope S'ym/N'astirh (or both!!!)

-Maybe that new Mister Sinister finally sees the light of day

-oh, and the mini has gotta be either baby Nathan or age-regressed Illyana 

Edited by Padrino

1 hour ago, cylonchaney said:

That sounds like a call for one of my favorite things on the board, rampant speculation.

And reading hidden messages in Zach's words (that he never intended). 🤣

I don't know if I should feel seen or attacked by this. Probably both 😁

3 hours ago, DSTZach said:

I just meant that we were leaning more in Trev's direction than AF McGill's. 

Thanks Zach!

With that in mind, I would venture that the initial four (considering it's either S'ym or N'astirh, not both) in my above post retain their positions. 

Of the five figures and one mini-figure in the set, there are NO original X-Men and only ONE All-New X-Man, in a variant we've never done. 

Assuming the "All-New X-Men" are in reference to the GSX#1 Cockrum team, I would say that it's either Inferno-ized Storm (which would be strikingly similar to Goblin Queen) or another go at Outback Colossus and Zach's comment is a lapse in memory (sorry for the biting commentary Zach, but I'm trying to keep things open).

Goblin Queen is a villain, either Limbo demon are a villain and Mister Sinister is a villain. That makes three, but considering that Magik would be in her dubious Darkchylde persona, it could be a fourth villain.

I'm happy to get to play these games again, Zach! Thanks for always making it fun. 

34 minutes ago, Padrino said:

I did! Did it not come through?

I meant I should have put a smiley on mine. Let's stop not fighting. It's like those super-polite cartoon chipmunks. LOL

PS I hope this post does not offend. :)

1 hour ago, cylonchaney said:

I meant I should have put a smiley on mine. Let's stop not fighting. It's like those super-polite cartoon chipmunks. LOL

PS I hope this post does not offend. :)

I will put down my white glove..., for now

I like the Inferno direction! I'm not sure my guesses are right but i'd like to see Nanny and Orphan Maker. Nanny could be seen as a minifigure. I'd like to see her more posable rather then a static figure. 

If there's a way to get a Marc Silvestri Goblin Queen, I'll be thrilled. 
Hasbro seem to think they aren't able to release a classic GQ in comic book stores. Even their Hasbro Pulse version was considerably tamer than how she was drawn in the original Inferno run. 
And now we're getting a D+ '97 animated version that's covered from head to toe, seems like there's a directive to make characters a little more prudish?