UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Transformers Thread

Alpheon

It was on 2005 or some such site waaaaaaay back when he was first announced I believe.

That's odd, I never saw anything about it. Cool though. He doesn't look it in any case, at least not IMO. I'm pretty amazed they managed to make anything that looks remotly like his original cartoon design, especially since it was just kinda made up on the spot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is going to be deciding between this, Hot Toys Bank Robber Joker, and Hot Toys Two-Face next year. Each of them is $150, so I can probably only justify getting one. . .I suspect that Grimlock will win out, though. If that thing is as big as Prime, then I can't see how he won't become the gem of my toy collection.

I got my City Commander armor yesterday. Words cannot convey its true awesomeness!

If it was $20, I would be all over it, but at the price that it goes for--couldn't possibly ever justify it. Hell, I could buy a rare-ish Kubrick for that price :D! Only appropriate that you got it, though, "Magnus" :)

I got my City Commander armor yesterday. Words cannot convey its true awesomeness!

post-1173-1224353145_thumb.jpg

I HOPE YOU CAN FEEL THE HATRED AND JEALOUSY FROM THE UK!!!!

JK

is it as amazing as it looks as i have every Ultra Magnus figure bar the shining magnus and i'm really torn whether to get him as there are quite a few decent bits i want to pick up, but he does look very cool and if needs be i would actually sell some of my halo jubricks and MM to buy him (big Transformer collector)

Also if anyone see's a patrol Bumblebee activator over in the US please please PM me as the Uk will not get them until march and my bumblebee collection is nearly complete with getting Trans scanning and elite guard

I got animated Ultra magnus off ebay and he's standing with 9 magnus' and doen't look out of place, i'm not a major fan of the animated line but i do have magnus, bumblebee's, prowl, and prime and i am waiting for rodimus as well to see what the animated take on him is like

If you're a Magnus fan, it's definitely worth it. I honestly don't think Hasbro could have done better. The only real drawback is that it limits the elbow and waist articulation a bit. There are a bunch of pictures here if you need some convincing. Also, there's a really cool video of the transformation

done in the Cybertron/Galaxy Force style.

Also, there's a design sketch for Animated Rodimus here if you don't mind the spoiler.

Does Hasbro seem to mind these kinds of things being made? I remember reading somewhere that they were not pleased with figures like the unlicensed Powerglide, and I know that they are cracking down on KOs, but I haven't seen anything about the "upgrade" kits like this one.

Does Hasbro seem to mind these kinds of things being made? I remember reading somewhere that they were not pleased with figures like the unlicensed Powerglide, and I know that they are cracking down on KOs, but I haven't seen anything about the "upgrade" kits like this one.

That's a very interesting question and I think that the upgrade kits are, at the very least, tolerated by Hasbro because they don't directly infringe on their design or name copyrights whereas the KOs are direct reproductions of Hasbro properties. On the other hand, I have no idea how Impossible Toys gets away with their Quinteson and Animated human figures.

Edited by God Magnus

I am unimpressed with Grimlock. I wanted morte of a G2 inspired Grimlock, not a S3 G1 Grimlock. That's all we needed was a 80 ton nurse maid for Daniel. What happened to "Me, Grimlock, Badass!"? Where's his bandanna and BMFG?

I'll still get him :P

I'd also like it to repainted in blue! :D I'm not kidding, I really like the blue.

That's a very interesting question and I think that the upgrade kits are, at the very least, tolerated by Hasbro because they don't directly infringe on their design or name copyrights whereas the KOs are direct reproductions of Hasbro properties. On the other hand, I have no idea how Impossible Toys gets away with their Quinteson and Animated human figures.

I've speculated that it might be something similar to their tolerance of reprolabels--they aren't going to be used as replacements for future characters that might be released, and they aren't stealing Hasbro- or Takara-owned molds--all they really do is enhance the value of existing figures, by giving people more reason to buy them. The same kind of argument might be made for the Quintesons, Spike and his dad, TF animated humans, etc. There is a very low chance that Hasbro will be producing those figures, so by Impossible Toys producing them, Hasbro may only see this as a potential boon to their normal TF sales.

I am unimpressed with Grimlock. I wanted morte of a G2 inspired Grimlock, not a S3 G1 Grimlock. That's all we needed was a 80 ton nurse maid for Daniel. What happened to "Me, Grimlock, Badass!"? Where's his bandanna and BMFG?

I'd also like it to repainted in blue! :D I'm not kidding, I really like the blue.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the Grimlock that deliberately walked right into a Decepticon trap to prove how tough he was. The buy who's Dinobots weren't afraid to fire on anybody, Decepticon or Autobot. Grimlock, who would kill any one or anything thing. That Grimlock. Not the nurse maid. Not the guy built by Spike. The one who, well, This one.

post-51-1224516555_thumb.jpg

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the Grimlock that deliberately walked right into a Decepticon trap to prove how tough he was. The buy who's Dinobots weren't afraid to fire on anybody, Decepticon or Autobot. Grimlock, who would kill any one or anything thing. That Grimlock. Not the nurse maid. Not the guy built by Spike. The one who, well, This one.

Eh, personality isn't usually determined by mold. I like G2 Grimlock because over the summer I found one at a rummage sale in good condition for $.50, so... He's an awesome toy.

Hey can anybody tell me the diffence between the mp Starscream Walmart ex. and the mp Starscream that is very similar now available in Japan? I've seen them both on ebay the boxes are similar except for some Japanese Characters on the one from Japan. The guy from Japan said that there is different stickers or something.

Hey can anybody tell me the diffence between the mp Starscream Walmart ex. and the mp Starscream that is very similar now available in Japan? I've seen them both on ebay the boxes are similar except for some Japanese Characters on the one from Japan. The guy from Japan said that there is different stickers or something.

As far as I know, the only difference is in the paint apps and they're negligible at best.

As far as I know, the only difference is in the paint apps and they're negligible at best.

On one of the pics I saw, it looked like there might be less weathering. Certainly, you don't get the "Wal-Mart Exclusive" sticker on the Japanese version.

By the way, despite some minor flaws, that is one of the greatest Transformers ever made, in my opinion.

Edited by karamazov80

By the way, despite some minor flaws, that is one of the greatest Transformers ever made, in my opinion.

I can't stand it. From a design and enginering standpoint, it reeks. It even fails as an accurate F-15. I was much more in love with the prototype.

I can't remember the name of the man who designed it, but he'd the equivalent of Michael Bay with toys in Japan. Whatever he designs, THAT is what you get, because he is awesome, and no one questions him, no matter how wildly the design may vary from the actual character. He designed the Hybrid Convoy, and that turned out great! Then he did Starscream. Not so great. He wanted to give him a samurai look because he watched the show and Starscream reminded him of an honorable samurai in the show with his sword.

Yep. You guessed it, kids. He watched Armada. That's where he came up with "Honorable Samurai Starscream"

And that's part of the reason I hate that mold. Aside from the original prototype being far and above superior. And more in scale with Prime and Megs.

I can't stand it. From a design and enginering standpoint, it reeks. It even fails as an accurate F-15. I was much more in love with the prototype.

Like I said, you can find flaws here and there, but we will not likely ever get a better, more detailed Starscream. And since he is my favorite character on the show, he is also my favorite toy (though I will readily admit that MP Prime is the most accurate representation of his cartoon form that I have seen). I do wish his head looked a little better, but that is a small nit-pick. The Classics/Henkei version ain't half bad, either.

Edited by karamazov80

To paraphrase, Wreck-Gar dares to be awesome! I am also particularly excited for Samurai Prowl.

A useless tidbit of information: "Dare To Be Stupid" was written as a typical, wacky Weird Al takeoff, on DEVO. And I once saw an interview with one of DEVO regarding the song, and he essentially said that Weird Al perfectly understood and captured the essence of what DEVO was in that song.