UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walgreens interested in Minimates?

I get him doing it, because if he didn't I wouldn't have gotten any. I just don't like the idea that the product isn't even on the shelves when they have it, since I'd rather just pick it up then have to ask 5 people about it and spend a half hour waiting in Walgreens. This manager told me he had 20+ of each exclusive in the back when there were only 2 per case of the rarer figures...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm betting that manager IS a collector. He knows if someone wants that particular exclusive, they'll ask.

If he was selling them at a markup out of the store, that'd be grounds for termination. Doesn't sound like he was doing that, just making sure as many collectors got their chance to acquire this exclusive as possible.

If he wanted to make money on eBay, he wouldn't be selling them at the store. He'd take full advantage of his employee discount, buy what he could, and scalp them online.

All I know is if I don't see any sign of something on the sales floor and the store doesn't offer a way to check inventory online like Target does, I assume it isn't in stock or was bought already, especially if it's an exclusive. If you truly is trying to stop scalpers, that's good I guess, but I don't really think it's fair to keep them from even being purchased unless someone knows to ask. How is someone supposed to know that that one store does have them but they're locked up in the back, as opposed to any other store where if it's not on the floor it's probably gone? That also prevents any kids or casual buyers from getting them either, which is part of the point of an exclusive.

Believe me, I have no patience for scalpers, I found out that a douchebag I went to high school with had bought a bunch of the Walgreens Spiderman Funko Pops and was selling them on eBay, and my comment on the matter was "I hope he gets AIDS." But as someone who drove to several stores looking for those, it would have been nice if they had them in stock if they had put them on the shelf.

I think we should start a thread about Walgreens (all of them) exclusives and who is looking for what. If people keep their wants lists updated, I can probably help out. I can always walk down a few flights of stairs and next door to see what is on the shelves. Of course, this involves the added expense of shipping, but I certainly don't mind leaving my office for a few minutes to check. I found the Star Wars Black series stuff way back when it first came out and sent them all to Canada for a guy. yes.gif

I have unfortunately ran into a manager who was buying all the exclusives (Agent Venom, Star Wars Black) and selling them on eBay, I know because he told me. Said he needed money for school. I never went back.

Edited by Zak Katz

Yes, but we know what the EXs are from other toy/collectible lines at Walgreens. I would expect an announcement on Minimates soon. At least, I hope so.

What the!?

I'm betting that manager IS a collector. He knows if someone wants that particular exclusive, they'll ask.

If he was selling them at a markup out of the store, that'd be grounds for termination. Doesn't sound like he was doing that, just making sure as many collectors got their chance to acquire this exclusive as possible.

If he wanted to make money on eBay, he wouldn't be selling them at the store. He'd take full advantage of his employee discount, buy what he could, and scalp them online.

All of this.

To Valo... you should always ask. If you had come to my Toys RUs looking for a collectible we hadn't worked out to the shelf yet, I was one of at least three associates who would have gone out back searching for you. So even when it isn't intentional, sometimes the product you want just isn't out. You don't ask? That's on you.

So even when it isn't intentional, sometimes the product you want just isn't out. You don't ask? That's on you.

To hell with that. The items have a place on the shelf where they're supposed to be stocked so, unless there's a simple delay getting them on the floor, they should be stocked. You shouldn't have to search out employees and get permission to buy them.

Maybe our Walgreens toy buyer could help implement a policy to deter scalping while keeping product out in the open for all to see.

Like cigarettes behind a cage.

Or maybe [gasp!] a pre-order for such high-demand collectibles.

They actually did do that for Agent Venom and White Boba Fett, the only downside was they shipped a few months after people found them in stores, but at least the option was available.