UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Next Through the Ages Boxset

Pedro Pablumo

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always got the impression that they said no to the actual green goblin getting one and didn't care about menace getting hers, the movie one is a different license so that was believable for me when it came out.

Best Of wave 1 Goblin came with a glider. As did the one with the unmaksed Norman head that recreated the cover with Spidey unmasked tied up behind the glider. He's had them before.

So I went ahead and made a banner for the GR-TTA "campaign":

GR-TTA_zps47cb9d68-1.jpg

And here are the links:

Photobucket: http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Darthkostis/media/GR-TTA_zps47cb9d68-1.jpg.html?o=1

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53751320@N03/16371092605/

Personally, none of the Flickr "share" options worked for me (I just got the broken icon pic), and the only Photobucket option that did was the "Direct" one.

Hey Kostis howzabout a 'Euro Through The Floor Ages ' ? rolleyes.gif

Seriously ...Ghost Rider would be great .

I ain't gonna argue, there's a ton of material to choose from right there You could do a First Gen set, or a "Greatest Hits" one. But I have to say, the best one is easily the Greek one:

fake-greek-euro-coin.jpg

On a serious note, I still think that GR is the perfect candidate for a TTA set. I think I'm gonna send an AskDST mail...

Edited by Kostisfire

I found my notes from the C2E2 2014 thread, this will help clear up any questions and simultaneously shoot down any chances for a Ghost Rider Through the Ages boxset:

- Vehicles for Marvel came up again, not possible due to Hasbro. Chuck wasn't sure why they were able to make the goblin glider, but joked 'when mom says it's ok, you don't question her' or something along those lines. I asked about a possible sculpted motorcycle stand for Ghost Rider where you just put the chest block on the bike. He doesn't have much faith in GR as it is the only Marvel line he has had to cancel, but didn't sound like he wanted to push the issue 'since mom just let him make the glider'.

So "Mom" let him make the glider but he failed to include it in the last movie assortment. Makes no sense.

Just sculpt Ghost Rider's motorcycle as a static stand and send it through the approval process. It's not stepping on Hasbro's toes.

And the GR series (movie-based, by the way) probably wouldn't have been cancelled had it included the title character's motorcycle in some fashion. I'm betting more collectors would have been interested in it simply for that accessory alone.

IIRC, the Ghost Rider drought was due to the rights issues. The creator wanted them back but in the end Marvel won, which was around the time the 50 poll went up. About the movie wave thing yeah, I don't buy it. You can't expect people to buy 8 figs, 7 of whom are just civilians. Had they included Caretaker Ghost Rider, Legion Blackheart and the 3 dudes he used as lackeys, then maybe it wouldn't had been cancelled. Now I'm not saying GR is this big, household name, but since Venom got a TTA set, which practically featured 2 versions of the exact same costume, I'm sure a set of all new looks of a flaming skeleton can sell.

Well, this one is based on a Wolverine movie and Minimates are much more well known nowadays. Plus, it has 2 ninjas and 2 Wolverines, and.... Ok, ok, I might be a teeny, tiny bit biased, but to scrap any and all GR plans just because a wave full of civilians based on a movie that came out 8 years ago got cancelled, sounds a bit absurd to me.

Edited by Kostisfire

So "Mom" let him make the glider but he failed to include it in the last movie assortment. Makes no sense.

That glider would have required new tooling though, and I don't blame DST one bit for wanting to spend as little as possible on tooling for a non-Marvel Studios movie. The mobile phone from the ASM2 wave was the only new tooling we got out of those LCS/TRU waves.

Approach it from Chuck's point of view though, out of almost 100 (LCS/TRU) waves of Minimates, the ONLY wave that didn't make it to market was Ghost Rider themed. Sure, that was during the "dark ages" for Minimates, but it's not like any of the Ghost Rider comics since the 90's series have lit the sales charts on fire (pun intended). Couple that with not wanting to rustle Hasbro's license feathers and it just makes sense from a sales standpoint to give little focus to Ghost Rider at this time.

Now, if Marvel Studios decided to capitalize on having the license back, it could be another story. But we don't even know if DST is looking into the merch rights for any of the upcoming Netflix series, which should be a much higher priority than anything GR related at this time.

Ok, having read this recent ghost rider chat, I'm just gonna throw something out there as someone who's not a big fan of gr but who would love the old western version. It seems to me that some of the characters being talked about for a possible TTA set would struggle to hold down enough popularity for a 4 figure box set of them, of which gr is a prime example. So, I wonder if DST would ever consider doing a kind of "TTA wave" but with 4 2 packs of say classic and modern versions of the same character? That way some of the less marketable characters being talked about may have a bit more chance and it would be less of a sales risk.

For example you could have old west and modern ghost rider, classic and female thor, west coast avengers and modern mockingbird (surely gotta happen sometime?!) and just to please the xfans and DST a weapon x wolverine and any other version you care to name (though personally if we have to include more xmen I'd go disco and modern dazzler). I'm sure it'll never happen but just struck me as a possible compromise variation on the TTA theme that might get a few characters included who would never realistically get their own full TTA set?

I think one wat around it might be to make a series mixed with interesting characters. You could have four versions of Ghost Rider packed with Blackheart, masked Dr. Strange, Man Thing, Satana, Ghost, and the beat goes on. They may not be A-listers, but they would all look really cool.

That glider would have required new tooling though...

And they'd have gotten a return on their investment in both the LCS and TRU assortments. At that point there was no reason to believe Goblin wouldn't be returning – and soon – with the expectation of both another sequel AND a Sinister Six spinoff. Amortize!

True, "collectors are gonna buy it anyway" but that does nothing to build faith in the brand.

And they'd have gotten a return on their investment in both the LCS and TRU assortments. At that point there was no reason to believe Goblin wouldn't be returning – and soon – with the expectation of both another sequel AND a Sinister Six spinoff.

I'm not sure how that statement reinforces your opinion, if anything it proves that being prudent pays off. DST knew what the sales of ASM1 mates were, and most likely factored those sales numbers into the design stage of ASM2. Weaker sales of ASM1 likely forced a lower budget for ASM2, which worked in DST's favor as the franchise is now most likely dead at Sony or will be rebooted yet again.

Otherwise, they would have spent money on tooling yet another Goblin glider that would only be used once and then never see the light of day (Spider-Man 3 New Goblin, Menace).

I always got the impression that they said no to the actual green goblin getting one and didn't care about menace getting hers, the movie one is a different license so that was believable for me when it came out.

Best Of wave 1 Goblin came with a glider. As did the one with the unmaksed Norman head that recreated the cover with Spidey unmasked tied up behind the glider. He's had them before.

Yeah but menace got hers before the one paired with spidey, which I believe was the first classic green goblin to have one. That's all I meant.

I love ghost rider but that movie wave failed because all but one were civilians and the fanbase for mates wasn't where it is now. I enjoyed the movie and would have bought every set, but I was really disappointed blackhearts monster effects weren't there, and neither were his minions or his bike. Preorders never had a chance.

They really shouldn't hold that wave 15 history against the character.

Minimates aren't exactly alone in packaging Ghost Rider without a motorcycle though. How many figures have been made that actually included it? I can think of the Toybiz Marvel Legends figures, one in the movie line, the 4" Showdown figure that was a bike/base, and a Superhero Squad figure.