UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blind Bag discussion!

LEGOs are $4. And personally, $6 for a Minimate is just as justifiable as $4 for a LEGO, but at the same time, I do think some line is crossed past, say, $5 per block figure. I could be totally wrong, though.

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 unique Minimates .

Do we know exactly how many "unique" 'mates are going to be in each case of 18? Did Zach say 8 unique characters or am I making that up?

You read it ......I think the words were 7 or 8 .

edit : "more like 8 figures" Zach

I just can't see that these will be on sale for more than $4-5 despite what I'm hearing is the recommended price.

$90? a case which will include one full chase set of 8 ($40+?) & 10 spares ......

So are the 10 spares the problem ? If they are.... why... if we don't even know what the characters are yet ?!

"Assortment is 8 different characters, plus one variant figure."

I read that as 9 different figures, but I guess it can really be interpreted either way.

Whoops, I thought that might get misinterpreted.

I meant that there are apparently a ton of people out there who (from what I can see) ONLY understand blind bags that (from what I am told) DON'T understand Minimates the way they are currently being offered. So we will gain people by offering them in a way they understand. Not that people here don't understand blind bags.

And I'd love to keep everybody, but we have to adapt to survive. If that means some people lose interest, then we need to look at the overall net gain or loss.

I just reserved the URL www.minimateblindbagmultiverse.com just in case...

You will be unable to see any topics/threads until you pay for them.devil.gif

but don't worry there are tons of people that like to do that.

Edited by Mattallica

I just reserved the URL www.minimateblindbagmultiverse.com just in case...

You will be unable to see any topics/threads until you pay for them.:devil:

but don't worry there are tons of people that like to do that.

Or you will have to post in every single thread on the site to make sure it goes in the thread you wanted it to.

And I'd love to keep everybody, but we have to adapt to survive. If that means some people lose interest, then we need to look at the overall net gain or loss.

That makes it sound as if future TRU assortments were contingent on blind packaging.

Is this the future of all TRU Minimates?

No, it needs 18 separate thread links which will in fact only randomly link to 8 different threads. Every time you reload the main page, the links will randomize again. The cheese thread will be set to only appear once per randomization.

LEGOs are $4. And personally, $6 for a Minimate is just as justifiable as $4 for a LEGO, but at the same time, I do think some line is crossed past, say, $5 per block figure. I could be totally wrong, though.

Yeah, I'd expect to pay more for a Minimate, which is obviously superior to any other block figure, but $6 seems too high. I don't know. I hope it does well for DST, but not so well that it changes the model.

Edited by Turtle

But I don't know what TRU is getting. Specialty retailers are getting blind bags because they have been asking for them. Probably because they sell well.

I said survive because sales keep the company alive. If something might increase sales, based on other models, then we have an obligation to explore it.

We're planning Marvel Series TRU 19 now, and it'll be two-packs.

I do think $6.00 is too high for reasons already stated, but something I haven't seen mentioned yet that is very relevant to this discussion is quality control.

I just started collecting the Lego Simpsons blind bag figures. While I don't entirely approve of blind bags, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea as an evolution of the vending machine toy. For Lego, I can take comfort in the fact that my Homer Simpson will look just like anyone else's Homer Simpson. There won't be odd paint errors, stuck joints, etc. Lego being a gigantic entity can afford the highest levels of quality control. Anyone not familiar with Lego should read up on their manufacturing process, they have an insanely low tolerance for errors which is why you don't see bricks that are slightly loose or too tight. But they are Lego, industry giant, and they can afford to do this.

This is not a knock on DST, I know they're a smaller company and even large companies like Hasbro and Mattel have oversights that make it to the shelves. I do worry that some of the paint issues will be a problem especially if we can't see what we're buying. If we're going the blind bag route, things like Spider-Man's with the eyes off-center or missing arms and accessories on figures can no longer be tolerated. I do think this is a good way to get new fans, but remember that first impressions are EXTREMELY important. If somebody is buying their first Minimate and Raphael is missing a hand or Leonardo's eyes are crooked , they may see Minimates as an inferior brand and never buy them again. It's like the old McDonald's/small business analogy; if I buy a sandwich from McDonald's and they screw it up, I may still go back because they're McDonald's and they've built their brand recognition. If I buy a sandwich from a family-owned restaurant and they fuck up, even if it's a one-time thing, I may never go there again. Their food might be amazing but I wouldn't know because they haven't built that brand recognition with me yet and they blew their first chance. I hope these topics have come up and I hope quality is watching like hawks because I do think this strategy has potential if handled right.

I brought up the potential of QC problems being compounded by the blind bag, back on page 3 it was met with typical "not an issue" type of response that is so common here, when you have a differing opinion than the majority.

another potential issue of the blind bag,

the
inability to see the mate before purchase coupled with the ever
present, paint and tampo issues will make getting a "good" complete set
that much harder.

and again on page 11

.... I wonder what a "new" minimate buyers
reaction is today. do they buy a TRU spiderman pack because they liked
the movie, despite not really being able to see whats in the pack only
to get it home and find mis-alligned tampos or the lack of webbing
tampos on all sides of spideys legs? are they ok with it, or do they
even notice?

will they Buy a TMNT blind bag or maybe a half dozen
only to find they get multiple duplicates? are they ok with that or does
it turn them off the entire brand?

Edited by Mattallica

Wow this thread got "feisty"

IMO KMZ80 is right, I also feel there's a subconscious $5 ceiling for blind bagged stuff.

My question would be what has been successful over that threshold before?

T.

I brought up the potential of QC problems being compounded by the blind bag, back on page 3 it was met with typical "not an issue" type of response that is so common here, when you have a differing opinion than the majority.

another potential issue of the blind bag,

the

inability to see the mate before purchase coupled with the ever

present, paint and tampo issues will make getting a "good" complete set

that much harder.

and again on page 11

>

.... I wonder what a "new" minimate buyers

reaction is today. do they buy a TRU spiderman pack because they liked

the movie, despite not really being able to see whats in the pack only

to get it home and find mis-alligned tampos or the lack of webbing

tampos on all sides of spideys legs? are they ok with it, or do they

even notice?

will they Buy a TMNT blind bag or maybe a half dozen

only to find they get multiple duplicates? are they ok with that or does

it turn them off the entire brand?

I think you're wrong Matt ,I really do biggrin.png

Whilst we have some superb minimates coming through in all lines, there have been some.... what shall I say.... poor examples due to tampos etc.

Regards 'new' buyers getting multiple duplicates & the potential consequences ......I agree again.

You see ( hopefully ) that I for one agree with you totally .

If that means I am one of a minority or ,heaven forbid , the majority......... matters little to me.

Matt, please forgive the fact that I picked up on your post rather than the umpteen others (from other members) lately but I'm beginning to fill my own posts with disclaimers, pre-apologies & niceties just in case somebody gets upset with my agreement or dissent .

Tim & I for a big example have always had our huge little differences & his comment about things getting fiesty is typical of this.

On the one hand he is absolutely right & it's creeping in all over the place here, maybe I'm part of the problem .....LMK dry.png .

On the other hand he & I disagree on the spelling of 'feisty' devil.gif

I'm happy to discuss this with anybody via PMs or in a 'feisty thread' because I believe it's important ......if a gobby bastard like me is starting to feel like he's treading on eggshells ,what chance the newer/quieter members ??

The extra cost is to make sure the cases have all uniform content. Didn't Zach say they wouldn't be including 'codes' to help folks identify them?

My question is, will they offer Luke 'God' cases? And will he be able to identify a set!? ;)

I have picked up a few of the Lego Minifigs in Blind Bags that I have wanted. I am one of those guys who will spend 45 minutes fondling a case of blind bags to find the ones I want.

That being said, I don't understand the huge angst over the duplication in a case. Sure, if you buy a case from Luke, you will have guaranteed duplicates. If you find these in the wild (Sears, Target?, Walmart?, TRU?), you should have an easier time identifying a full set (the variant may be harder to 'see') than with Lego. There are only 18 through which to search (36+ with Lego) and half are 'unique' figures.

Given Zach's recent info about what is included, I believe we will see something like this in a case:

3x Leo

2x Raph

2x Mikey

2x Don

2x Shredder

2x April

2x Foot

2x Blue Kraang

1x Clear Kraang

At most, there will be 3 of a character in a case, most will only be 2 per case. Given the potential for this line and for so many big box retailers, we are going to see more of the one-per-case figure in this line than likely we do for the TRU exclusives.

Folks randomly picking up a few figures re more likely to get different characters if they pick up more than one at once.

Sorry if my thoughts a unclear - I am posting from work and keep getting distracted by patrons!