UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Godzilla minimate thread. Gojira!

Nobody's even mentioned Rodan, so yeah, his odds are pretty slim.

That's awfully disappointing. To me, this is like doing a DC line with Superman and Wonder Woman but leaving out Batman.

I guess I'd better try to get ahold of an extra Reaper to customize as a stand in.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Well, Ghidorah has already been designed, and he was the first non-Godzilla kaiju chosen to be in our vinyl bank line, so his odds are better than most.

Designed doesn’t mean released and in my collection, Mr. Oat

movie Fandrel and Hogun have been designed, Clubber Lang and Thunderlips had been designed, a third wave of MAX and a second wave of pirates and Battle Beast have been designed, Sculpted heads for the TMNT had been designed, Someone won a design sheet of God of War’s Kratos in a facebook contest but he wasn’t one of the Sony mates...

If Godzilla set 1 doesn’t do well so the line ends... we do not get Ghidorah

If the second set doesn’t pre-order well enough... we do not get Ghidorah

If the tooling on Ghidorah doesn’t cost out so not in the second set... we might not get Ghidorah

I’ll be grateful for Ghidorah once we get him, but until then I still think the idea of mixing weaker characters into lines that might not have the fan base to support them is playing with fire.

...Well, Ghidorah has already been designed, and he was the first non-Godzilla kaiju chosen to be in our vinyl bank line, so his odds are better than most.

Designed doesn’t mean released and in my collection, Mr. Oat

movie Fandrel and Hogun have been designed, Clubber Lang and Thunderlips had been designed, a third wave of MAX and a second wave of pirates and Battle Beast have been designed, Sculpted heads for the TMNT had been designed, Someone won a design sheet of God of War’s Kratos in a facebook contest but he wasn’t one of the Sony mates...

If Godzilla set 1 doesn’t do well so the line ends... we do not get Ghidorah

If the second set doesn’t pre-order well enough... we do not get Ghidorah

If the tooling on Ghidorah doesn’t cost out so not in the second set... we might not get Ghidorah

I’ll be grateful for Ghidorah once we get him, but until then I still think the idea of mixing weaker characters into lines that might not have the fan base to support them is playing with fire.

I agree with this entirely. Fun a character as Jet Jaguar is, there is no reason he deserves a minimate before Godzilla's archnemesis. Hell neither did Titanosaurus but at least out of the two of them Titanosaurus isn't a chump Ultraman ripoff. This would be like getting a minimate of Tyr in the Thor 2 wave while Maleketh is completely ignored.

Ghidorah really is a bit too important of a monster to miss out on. Like, the line will seem depressingly incomplete if we miss out on him, Mechagodzilla, Rodan, and Angurius. I know it'd be sad if we miss out on guys like Jaguar, Hedorah, Baragon, the bugs, Caesar, and the wonderful Heisei redesigns, but having the ones we know we're getting and missing those four will just... hurt. It'll hurt my little Godzilla fan soul.

Edited by Trekker 42

I'm limited to internet use on my phone at home so I couldn't post as much as I wanted until I got to work and could use the internet here. You guys summed it up really well but I have to have my little bit of a say, too:

Far and away, I think the most famous Godzilla monsters (besides Godzilla himself) are Mothra, Rodan, Anguirus, King Ghidorah and Mecha Godzilla. They're Godzilla's most repeated friends/foes in the movies/comics. Any of those missing from a line and it looks and feels incomplete as Hell. I buy Godzilla vinyls. The expensive, art kind from Japan. I just *today* got THE Mothra for my set that I've been waiting to see offered since 2009. Until today, my collection looked incomplete.

But no Rodan? C'mon... that's crap. No Rodan is like the Avengers without Iron Man or the Justice League without the Flash.

I want characters like Manda, Ebirah and *eventually* Jet Jaguar. But as a self-proclaimed "Monster Kid" who bought/traded to get apprx. 10 of each Universal Monsters sets to lend support to the line (even when it was cancelled), I really do want the Godzilla stuff to succeed. Getting Gigan before (or instead of) Rodan is just as disheartening as getting Frank Whemple but not Ardeth Bey (or Invisible Man)!

Please say it isn't so, Zach, and that you were just teasing us a little or something. There seems to be an awful lot of love for these characters.

I really want to support this line... but the sound of one of the really really classic monsters from the movies getting passed over before the first set has even been released is a real depressing sign.

I agree with this entirely. Fun a character as Jet Jaguar is, there is no reason he deserves a minimate before Godzilla's archnemesis.

I can think of one: cost. Most of these characters will require multiple sculpted pieces but Jet Jaguar can probably be done with just a head or mask. Given the unproven nature of Godzilla minimates I wouldn't blame them for making some effort to keep cost down.

I get what you're saying, but "Nobody's even mentioned Rodan yet" implies that it's not a cost issue and rather that he was never even considered. You'd think they'd have to bring up Rodan first to say "Naw, he'd cost too much."

I'm limited to internet use on my phone at home so I couldn't post as much as I wanted until I got to work and could use the internet here. You guys summed it up really well but I have to have my little bit of a say, too:

Far and away, I think the most famous Godzilla monsters (besides Godzilla himself) are Mothra, Rodan, Anguirus, King Ghidorah and Mecha Godzilla. They're Godzilla's most repeated friends/foes in the movies/comics. Any of those missing from a line and it looks and feels incomplete as Hell. I buy Godzilla vinyls. The expensive, art kind from Japan. I just *today* got THE Mothra for my set that I've been waiting to see offered since 2009. Until today, my collection looked incomplete.

But no Rodan? C'mon... that's crap. No Rodan is like the Avengers without Iron Man or the Justice League without the Flash.

I want characters like Manda, Ebirah and *eventually* Jet Jaguar. But as a self-proclaimed "Monster Kid" who bought/traded to get apprx. 10 of each Universal Monsters sets to lend support to the line (even when it was cancelled), I really do want the Godzilla stuff to succeed. Getting Gigan before (or instead of) Rodan is just as disheartening as getting Frank Whemple but not Ardeth Bey (or Invisible Man)!

Please say it isn't so, Zach, and that you were just teasing us a little or something. There seems to be an awful lot of love for these characters.

I really want to support this line... but the sound of one of the really really classic monsters from the movies getting passed over before the first set has even been released is a real depressing sign.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle, I'm just seeing a pattern of them spreading things out as they did with most other licenses.

If they put all the 'heavy hitters' in the first wave then sales would dry up after that because everyone had all the characters they wanted. It took us how many waves to get a Thor for marvel mates?

T.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle, I'm just seeing a pattern of them spreading things out as they did with most other licenses.

If they put all the 'heavy hitters' in the first wave then sales would dry up after that because everyone had all the characters they wanted.

I think most people get that that's how toy lines work. "His odds are pretty slim" doesn't sound like spreading things out. The implication is they don't consider Rodan a 'heavy hitter.'

On a more positive note, I just saw the Gidorah and Hedorah designs and they look great!

... Uh, I just meant that Rodan's chances of being in Set 2 were slim.

Set 2 will have four figures, and while we have not finalized the line-up, I have seen three monsters designed, which were the ones I showed at the panel. I know there is a design for Godzilla, and while I do not know if that was final and approved, I assume he will be in the set in some form. But I may be wrong, Mechagodzilla has also been mentioned. Maybe he will get the nod instead of Godzilla or one of the other characters, but I do not know. Nobody has mentioned Rodan yet, so I doubt we'd see him in SET 2 -- but Set 3 and 4 are always options.

We just solicited it, so we do not have order numbers yet, but I do not think that the inclusion of Titanosaurus will overly affect sales. Anybody who is worried that Titanosaurus will keep you from getting a character you like better... well, you're clearly not a Titanosaurus fan. If we did three sets and NOT him, I'm sure somebody somewhere would be disappointed. Plus, he has a Godzilla-like form, and a dinosaur/dragon look that is pretty kid-friendly, so hopefully he'll be appealing to both kids and old-school fans. Plenty of time for the giant bird and the spiny armadillo.

Nobody has been passed over. Everyone is still on the table, as long as they were on the list of monsters Toho gave us that were okay to use. (And unless Toho bought Gamera, I don't think he's on the table. Maybe if all this Godzilla stuff does gangbusters, but we'll see.)

And anyone who is worried that Jet Jaguar is not important enough to merit inclusion is simply wrong, and needs to deal with it. smile.png

Edited by DSTZach

I agree 100% with both Dr Baghead and Mystery Man (posts # 102 & 104 not quoted for space). I don't want Rodan or the other similarly important monsters to wind up like Clubber Lang - designed and not released. As cool as Jet Jaguar and Smog Monster would be to have, I'd prefer to have them saved for last.

I agree 100% with both Dr Baghead and Mystery Man (posts # 102 & 104 not quoted for space). I don't want Rodan or the other similarly important monsters to wind up like Clubber Lang - designed and not released. As cool as Jet Jaguar and Smog Monster would be to have, I'd prefer to have them saved for last.

Luckily, Rodan has not been designed! And like I said, Set 2 is not finalized.

We still, to this day, have no idea what went wrong with Rocky 3. Maybe Rocky Sets 1 and 2 were too similar, something I have always felt about the movies themselves. But I think this is a very different line, and Set 2 will be pretty different.

Edited by DSTZach

Yay! Thanks for answering, Zazh!

Whew, big relief!

So you mention 4 boxed sets. Is that all you guys have rights for or just all that's planned-ish thus far? Like, I'd this a Icon Heroes Thundercats kinda deal or is it more open ended?

And for our purposes, Daei still owns Gamera while Toho owns Godzilla. Too bad (for us)...

Edited by Mystery Man

Hedorah is my favorite Kaiju....he is way cooler than Rodan in my personal opinion so im glad hes got a chance at getting made tongue.png

screencaps from the panel that Delta filmed (thanks Delta!)

u6EA2aF.jpg

CyILsIw.jpg

FTkd8G3.jpg

Edited by undeadpool

Personally - i'm kinda hoping for a Space Godzilla. I think his design is just crazy and OTT, but would make a very fun toy.

I LOVE Space Godzilla. I don't know how likely it is, considering the other big monsters they could do before Space Godzilla. And I am sure they are going to want a version of Godzilla with each set, and I wonder if it would be to similar having both a Godzilla and Space Godzilla in a set. But that would still be pretty sweet. if we get a 90's era Godzilla mate, I'm sure one of the customizers here could quite effectively make a Space Godzilla figure...

I am not a huge Godzilla fan but I have seen some of the films. I will be picking up this set and can't wait to see what's next. I have a feeling someone will hunt me down for saying this but how about a Zilla mate from the 1998 movie? I know the movie is crap but the design is really cool. I would rather have some of the classics first but I'm talking a bit down the road if the line does well.

Edited by CBMM1

Like I said, we have not planned Sets 3 and 4, and I do not know how many sets we will make over all. There is no pre-set limit, so we can keep going for as long as we have the license and sales are strong. But I'm sure we would stop making them when we ran out of major characters to do, so be glad that there are still plenty left. Including arguably second-tier monsters early on may frighten people, but I think it is a positive for everybody involved, if you keep it reasonable and limit it to maybe one per set. You get more sets, we sell more sets. And never underestimate Mystery Science Theatre fans.

ThunderCats, I think Icon Heroes only contracted with us to do four from the beginning, but we snuck another one in. Similarly, Big Bang Theory is BBP's license, and is only planned to be two sets. But we didn't have any control over those licenses, so you can't really compare.

Not sure Zilla/GINO is on the table, but Ask DST!